Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Gloomspore Preview Crate Duplicate Pet Issue - Broken/Bugged?

rootkitronin
rootkitronin
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello,

First off, the ZOS team has been killing it with the rewards lately - huge thank you for that!

I just opened my Gloomspore Preview Crate and received the Gloomspore Pony pet.

However, I already had the Gloomspore Pony pet collected from the first time I opened a Gloomspore Preview Crate - back when they first came out.

The issue is, even though I already had this pet collected, the fact that this was a duplicate reward didn't register. The pet wasn't converted into gems the way it would be in a normal crate when you receive a duplicate pet. Instead I simply received a notification that the pet had been added to my collection, despite already being there.

Needless to say, opened a crate with a "guaranteed high-value item" (pet in this case), only to walk away with nothing new and nothing to show, well it kind of sucks. There's plenty of other posts on here about people getting their cool pets, and I get nothing because of some poorly designed RNG.

I understand that maybe ZOS doesn't want items from preview crates converted into gems, but it would have still been nice to receive a pet I didn't already have (would have loved the guar to be honest).

Not too sure if anyone else is having this issue, but I've submitted a ticket about it, so I'll keep this thread updated with the result in the off chance it might help someone else.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would LOVE to be able to give you one of the 4 guar pets I got. I'm not fond of guars....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Shara_Wynn
    Shara_Wynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there should be a crown crate item exchange but I guess that wouldn't = profit for ZOS and as crown crates, I guess, are a way to fund the game in the long run, it will never come to pass.

All those unwanted pets though :'(
  • rootkitronin
    rootkitronin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I would LOVE to be able to give you one of the 4 guar pets I got. I'm not fond of guars....

Haha thanks @TaSheen , if it were possible, I would absolutely take you up on that! But if not guars, then which pet/mount type do you usually prefer?
    Shara_Wynn wrote: »
    All those unwanted pets though :'(

When you put it that way, it sounds so sad. Countless pets, crammed into crates, just waiting for a loving owner. Call the bards, we need to get the word out, this injustice cannot be allowed to stand!

But in all seriousness, my guess is that these older preview crates were only ever intended to be a one-time thing, so nothing is coded into them to address duplicate collectable items. ZOS probably never expected players to get more than one per account when they were originally put together.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rootkitronin - dogs, cats., and horses. Just like IRL. Right now IRL I have a Brit (only dog) - I desperately miss my kitties, but Libby has been an only dog for nearly 9 years, and in her mind, cats are classed as "prey". So I just don't want to mess with the in-place dynamic at this point (seriously, in my mid 70s, I do NOT need to try to "cat-socialize" a hunting dog!)

It is what it is. Eventually I will have cats again. No more horses though - I am WAY too old to deal with an animal that outweighs me by close to a thousand pounds!

But I wish.... I do.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting. This is really unfortunate and silly that it works in such a way it would give you a pet you already had from one of these preview crates. And, on top of that, not even give you any gems for it being a duplicate. I wouldn't have thought they would make it work that way. It seems very unfair to me. :(

Hopefully someone in support can either swap out the pet for one you don't have or give you some gems for it.

I already had every pet offered in the preview crate and wondered what it would give me. I received a 100% xp scroll under the high value card. So that made me think they had something in the programming so that these preview crates didn't give duplicates. Really strange.
    ->--Willow--<-
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

Neither am I. Never cared for them. The three I have were crown crate drops.

That being said, its amazing how some things that we care little for, find a use in the future.

tbi85jt2k862.png
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • rootkitronin
    rootkitronin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone! I was able to get a hold of the Support team and we got everything sorted out on my account and the issue has been resolved. I'm not sure if I can go into the details, but they were very helpful and it was a pleasant experience overall!