The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why is Filet First on Provisioning Menu?

• Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure is making mountains out of mole hills because you have to press the down arrow once.
    But hey you caught a lot of forum fish. :D
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I bet you are not on console. Good to precraft, but only checking at the station will easily tell you if you have what you need. Maybe that is not an issue for you, but it is on my console characters.

I am on console. I keep what I need in my inventory. When I get the quest notification that I need to craft something, I make extra of it. So if the quest is like Make a Firsthold Fruit and Cheese platter or whatever its called, instead of crafting 1, I hold down the button. It brings up a menu that lets me craft multiple. I'll make like 10 at a time, and that nets me 40 of that item.

Afterwards, I don't see that notification for that item again for a long time.

How do you know you have them crafted already? I do that as well, but find I need to hit the Provisioning fire in Summerset to validate that question in my crafting round.

There's a quest tracker you can turn on in settings and flip through using the dpad. It tells you what is needed for whichever is quest is your active quest. I also have the quest tracker set to change my quest to whichever quest I last picked up. So I know at the writ board whether I need to visit the alchemy or provisioning table at all.

kdk4tz26qywg.jpg
    61m6gntqlthr.jpg

You can also set the table to only show you what you need for your active quest. So even if you don't bother with keeping track using the quest tracker, you don't need to actually know which item is needed prior to hitting the table.

1tcdacif4wjo.jpg

So I don't bother to keep much track of that all. I just follow the quest tracker usually.

If you take the alchemy one last, you'll instantly know if you need to bother with the alchemy table. From there I do all my equipment since I don't pre-craft that. Prior to turn in, I make sure I cycle through quickly on the d-pad to double check I have everything. Since I pick Alchemy last (so it's automatically my latest quest) it easily runs through just the writs in alphabetical order. During that check I know if I need to bother with the provisioning table (usually don't) and if I missed any equipment.

I have too many quests in the log to use that effectively. I wish the interface would include the daily tracking stuff you can get from addons on the PC.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Grizzbeorn wrote: »
    Grizzbeorn wrote: »
    Based on what? More fishing than daily crafting (without large amounts of pre-crafting)? Really?

All of your statements are based on guesses, just like anyone else's.
    Nobody has any hard proof, either way, but all people are telling you is that the filet option gets plenty of use beyond what you think it does.

Are you seriously arguing more people fish in the game than do a daily crafting cooking task, even with extra pre-crafting? Really?

NO, that's NOT what I am arguing.

I'm arguing that ENOUGH people fish on a regular basis (more than you believe exist, based on mere conjecture), and for multiple reasons, that ZOS decided to add the filet option to Provisioning Stations. They didn't add the option just because, for something to do on a slow day. They have hard data which supports that choice.

And then there's the fact that multiple people have put forth, that the filet option is in the same position on the Provisioning Station as the Refining option on other stations which have that option, which totally blows your original complaint out of the water.

I never said many people don't use that. I would likely use it myself, at least on console. My argument was that having it first makes it annoying for those who craft food there more often. I doubt those using it for fish would be seriously impacted if it was last instead of first, while having it first means it is much easier to accidentally select on console.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet you are not on console. Good to precraft, but only checking at the station will easily tell you if you have what you need. Maybe that is not an issue for you, but it is on my console characters.

I am on console. I keep what I need in my inventory. When I get the quest notification that I need to craft something, I make extra of it. So if the quest is like Make a Firsthold Fruit and Cheese platter or whatever its called, instead of crafting 1, I hold down the button. It brings up a menu that lets me craft multiple. I'll make like 10 at a time, and that nets me 40 of that item.

Afterwards, I don't see that notification for that item again for a long time.

How do you know you have them crafted already? I do that as well, but find I need to hit the Provisioning fire in Summerset to validate that question in my crafting round.

There's a quest tracker you can turn on in settings and flip through using the dpad. It tells you what is needed for whichever is quest is your active quest. I also have the quest tracker set to change my quest to whichever quest I last picked up. So I know at the writ board whether I need to visit the alchemy or provisioning table at all.

kdk4tz26qywg.jpg
    61m6gntqlthr.jpg

You can also set the table to only show you what you need for your active quest. So even if you don't bother with keeping track using the quest tracker, you don't need to actually know which item is needed prior to hitting the table.

1tcdacif4wjo.jpg

So I don't bother to keep much track of that all. I just follow the quest tracker usually.

If you take the alchemy one last, you'll instantly know if you need to bother with the alchemy table. From there I do all my equipment since I don't pre-craft that. Prior to turn in, I make sure I cycle through quickly on the d-pad to double check I have everything. Since I pick Alchemy last (so it's automatically my latest quest) it easily runs through just the writs in alphabetical order. During that check I know if I need to bother with the provisioning table (usually don't) and if I missed any equipment.

I have too many quests in the log to use that effectively. I wish the interface would include the daily tracking stuff you can get from addons on the PC.

There's a setting that allows you to have it automatically track the last quest you picked up. If you pick up the alchemy writ last then you won't have to cycle through a bunch of quests just to see the writ quests .
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Players are more likely to filet than they are to be making food, that's my logical reason.

Based on what? More fishing than daily crafting (without large amounts of pre-crafting)? Really?

Pretty much. Especially now when you can bulk craft hundreds with a single click, whereas people can be fishing constantly.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It makes it more consistent with the other stations. It took some getting used to, but now I find it fine. I imagine most of the people who use the station often are the ones fileting fish anyway, even if filters probably aren't most of the people using the station.

Most of the people I know who are using to craft food or drink aren't using the station frequently. They craft a bunch of what they need at once and then just sit on it.

Do you ever run crafting dailies? Those are almost certainly more common than fishing for most players. Not all of course, but given that it is a reasonable way to make gold, it is far more likely AND it is a daily quest.

Is there a daily fishing quest?

I do crafting dailies rather regularily, including provisioning.

Cooking/brewing is quite rare if you stack the few necessary meals/drinks. I have to do it once every few months.

Filetting fish I use almost every week tho, as I enjoy fishing.

Your claims of majority are simply based on flawed logic.
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't complain too loudly. ZOS might decide to go the opposite direction and make us refine more stuff before being able to cook. Who really wants to peel potatoes, slice apples, tenderize meat, and do all that other food prep which has traditionally been considered part of the actual cooking?

The Fillet tab was added as an option to mass fillet fish, a feature that was requested many, many times.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    It makes it more consistent with the other stations. It took some getting used to, but now I find it fine. I imagine most of the people who use the station often are the ones fileting fish anyway, even if filters probably aren't most of the people using the station.

Most of the people I know who are using to craft food or drink aren't using the station frequently. They craft a bunch of what they need at once and then just sit on it.

Do you ever run crafting dailies? Those are almost certainly more common than fishing for most players. Not all of course, but given that it is a reasonable way to make gold, it is far more likely AND it is a daily quest.

Cooking/brewing is quite rare if you stack the few necessary meals/drinks. I have to do it once every few months.

Only based on your flawed logic. Most players in ESO do not fish at all. Most don't craft a lot, but far more do, since it is a source of gold.

Amazing that someone would argue fishing is that common for most of the player community.

Though as I said above, believe what you will. Neither of us can prove anything of course, but I seriously doubt ZOS pays close attention to which is more common and based its location based on that.

It is also more likely to catch a provisioning station as part of the daily crafting rounds on multiple characters than it would be to filet fish like that. You would have to fish that many fish to do so and it simply can't go that quickly.

I could potentially do Daily crafting for 50+ characters, across PC and PS5, though the latter is where it is a pain. I did it more often on the PS5 (PS4 at the time) in the past and I hit it multiple times a day, even with precrafting. I believe you have to actually pull up the craft choice to validate if it is complete or not in that interface, with the "deliver" message. Yes, you can check the quest log, but the emphasis is on following a pattern and that is the one that worked best for me.

Tell me you filet fish daily on 20+ toons and you might have a point, but as I said, you can believe whatever you will. Why care so much?

Though why do I care so much either? My OP made the point.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Only based on your flawed logic. Most players in ESO do not fish at all. Most don't craft a lot, but far more do, since it is a source of gold.

Amazing that someone would argue fishing is that common for most of the player community.

Though as I said above, believe what you will. Neither of us can prove anything of course, but I seriously doubt ZOS pays close attention to which is more common and based its location based on that.

It is also more likely to catch a provisioning station as part of the daily crafting rounds on multiple characters than it would be to filet fish like that. You would have to fish that many fish to do so and it simply can't go that quickly.

I could potentially do Daily crafting for 50+ characters, across PC and PS5, though the latter is where it is a pain. I did it more often on the PS5 (PS4 at the time) in the past and I hit it multiple times a day, even with precrafting. I believe you have to actually pull up the craft choice to validate if it is complete or not in that interface, with the "deliver" message. Yes, you can check the quest log, but the emphasis is on following a pattern and that is the one that worked best for me.

Tell me you filet fish daily on 20+ toons and you might have a point, but as I said, you can believe whatever you will. Why care so much?

ZoS introduced it as a QoL update for those that fish.

If there are so few fishers then I wonder why they bothered.

If there are so many crafters who are inconvenienced, presumably they will change it.

As the "process raw mats" button is common across all of the crafting stations, I'm surprised people aren't complaining about how arduous skipping past it is for, say, clothing writs...
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I won't argue your flawed asssumptions, as neither of us knows how many players are participating in various content (although I understand, that entitlelists always pretend to represent the majority, lol).

Just one question: Why do I have to filet fish daily on 20+ toons to have more use for the filetting function than cooking?
    Are you aware, that food stacks up to 200 meals per slot?

If someone isn't capable of properly managing their inventory and therefore have to do provisioning every single day on 20+ toons (badly developed ones btw, as they seemingly lack passives tied to provisioning), well, that's not my problem.

Fact is, that filetting fish is similar to processing other raw materials (like ore for example) and putting filetting fish first at the provisioning station has it's analogy at every other station, which is used for processing raw materials. That's logical.

Your baseless claims of "majorities" (definitely not on forums tho, as almost everony responding is denying your suggestion) lack this logical approach.

Instead you are saying: "I don't want to do this one click with my mouse (or to press a button on my controller), so the majority of players doesn't want to do so either, as it's unthinkable that others aren't bothered by my personal issues."

That's what I'm denying. I don't really care for arrangement of functions at the provisioning station at all tbh (although I had to get used to the change, when it was made).
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can tell from the value of the market value of stuff from fishing vs other items that fishing is less common than other crafting ventures. Or at the very least has less heavy users.

I don't think it matters though as I think most writ users would not use the board frequently. Whereas a lot of fishers probably would. This is because infrequent use is the simplest and easiest way to do the provisioning writs. And frequent use is the simplest and easiest way to filet fish. Players will tend to gravitate towards the simplest and easiest way to do crafting and farming.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on February 15, 2024 7:09PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

ZoS introduced it as a QoL update for those that fish.

If there are so few fishers then I wonder why they bothered.

If there are so many crafters who are inconvenienced, presumably they will change it.

As the "process raw mats" button is common across all of the crafting stations, I'm surprised people aren't complaining about how arduous skipping past it is for, say, clothing writs...

I like the feature, especially on console. (I have an addon on the PC that handles it, though in a very tedious 1-at-a-time fashion.)

You don't have to have massive fishing to find it useful.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hate it being first. It;s always an extra step as I never use it. I don't trust it.