Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Why is Filet First on Provisioning Menu?

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Why is Filet first on the Provisioning menu? It is not the most likely action nor is it even alphabetically first.

Could it please be moved to second?
PC
PS4/PS5
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    It's following the same pattern/order which was established long ago for the other crafting stations-- namely, if the crafting station allows you to refine "raw materials" for that type of crafting, then that refinement is available on the first tab. After all, you need to have refined materials before you can use them to craft with, so it's logical for the refinement tab to come first.

You are probably right, but that doesn't mean it would not be nice if they changed up the order in the crafting window. After all, I would think most people do a lot more crafting than refining.

Stay safe :)

Drinks, Meals and Furniture are all separate sections. Can't make everyone happy.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Similar to several things ZoS does (e.g. surveys) it's to encourage people to explore areas they otherwise wouldn't care to venture...

In this case the forums ;)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    It's following the same pattern/order which was established long ago for the other crafting stations-- namely, if the crafting station allows you to refine "raw materials" for that type of crafting, then that refinement is available on the first tab. After all, you need to have refined materials before you can use them to craft with, so it's logical for the refinement tab to come first.

I agree. I disliked it being first when it was introduced until seeing that it was in fact most logical to fit the pattern — so now it would bother me if it were NOT the first tab at the provisioning station! :D
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 11, 2024 6:43AM
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grizzbeorn wrote: »
    It is not the most likely action

It's not the most likely action for you.
    You have no idea if that is the same for anyone else.

I'm not against it being situated differently than it currently is, but people really need to stop making
    blanket statements based solely on how they themselves play a game.
    Irrespective of what the focus is, just because you do something a certain way does not mean that everyone else does it, or should do it that way.

I believe I can safely say it is not the likely action for most using a provisioning station.

I am not saying it cannot be useful, but how many in the game fish at all and how many of those have so much constant fish that they need that feature most times, especially given that (I would be) most provisioning is part of daily crafting stuff. Everyone doesn't do those of course, but I am sure more do them than fish daily.

It may be more common for you, but how many keep fishing as heavily at some point?

Again, you are merely making assumptions based on your own play. And just because you don't spend a lot of (or any) time doing a certain thing in-game, that doesn't mean that other folks don't.

I know lots of folks who spend a great deal of time fishing. And they do so to procure Perfect Roe, both to use in crafting, and also to sell on the guild traders. It takes a LOT of fishing to obtain any sizeable amount of Perfect Roe.
    (and you need to filet those fish in order to trigger a chance at the Roe. Again, the positioning of the filet option in the Provisioning Station UI isn't my focus here, I'm only objecting to your conjecture that it gets little use*. BUT, that option does get a lot of use from the Perfect Roe seekers.)
    There are also plenty of people who just enjoy fishing. Just because you can't conceive of it being enjoyable, doesn't mean it isn't for others.

(*there are tons of QOL things ZOS could add to the game, and they probably aren't going to add something that they think few people are going to use, so the fact that they added a filet option to Provisioning Stations at all likely means they felt it would get plenty of use.
    ONCE AGAIN, I'm not objecting to the desire for it to be moved in relation to the other options.)
    Edited by Grizzbeorn on February 11, 2024 7:28AM
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Pixiepumpkin
      Pixiepumpkin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It is not the most likely action

It's not the most likely action for you.
      You have no idea if that is the same for anyone else.

I'm not against it being situated differently than it currently is, but people really need to stop making
      blanket statements based solely on how they themselves play a game.
      Irrespective of what the focus is, just because you do something a certain way does not mean that everyone else does it, or should do it that way.

I believe I can safely say it is not the likely action for most using a provisioning station.

I am not saying it cannot be useful, but how many in the game fish at all and how many of those have so much constant fish that they need that feature most times, especially given that (I would be) most provisioning is part of daily crafting stuff. Everyone doesn't do those of course, but I am sure more do them than fish daily.

It may be more common for you, but how many keep fishing as heavily at some point?

Agreed. Its a situation of what is most likely/needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few scenario.

This is why blant statments are made, often in support of the many, the outliars are not relevant imo.
      "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
      PC/NA
    • Grizzbeorn
      Grizzbeorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      the outliars are not relevant imo.

If the *outliers were irrelevant, then the option to filet fish wouldn't have been added to Provisioning Stations.
      But obviously ZOS saw a big enough desire for the option to be added, otherwise they wouldn't have done so.
        PC/NA Warden Main
      • LalMirchi
        LalMirchi
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Why is Filet first on the Provisioning menu? It is not the most likely action nor is it even alphabetically first.

Could it please be moved to second?

Could it be that Refining is always the first choice at any crafting station?
      • Four_Fingers
        Four_Fingers
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Uh, fish is a provisioning ingredient is it not?
        And a lot of us still fish even after getting master angler to farm perfect roe.
      • katanagirl1
        katanagirl1
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        I have adapted to the setup, and it works better for me because every other crafting station had two clicks to exit and this one used to have one, and now it has two. Works for me.
        Khajiit Stamblade
        Dark Elf Magsorc
        Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
        Orc Stamplar PVP
        Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• spartaxoxo
        spartaxoxo
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        It makes it more consistent with the other stations. It took some getting used to, but now I find it fine. I imagine most of the people who use the station often are the ones fileting fish anyway, even if filters probably aren't most of the people using the station.

Most of the people I know who are using to craft food or drink aren't using the station frequently. They craft a bunch of what they need at once and then just sit on it.
      • FlopsyPrince
        FlopsyPrince
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        spartaxoxo wrote: »
        It makes it more consistent with the other stations. It took some getting used to, but now I find it fine. I imagine most of the people who use the station often are the ones fileting fish anyway, even if filters probably aren't most of the people using the station.

Most of the people I know who are using to craft food or drink aren't using the station frequently. They craft a bunch of what they need at once and then just sit on it.

Do you ever run crafting dailies? Those are almost certainly more common than fishing for most players. Not all of course, but given that it is a reasonable way to make gold, it is far more likely AND it is a daily quest.

Is there a daily fishing quest?
        PC
        PS4/PS5
      • spartaxoxo
        spartaxoxo
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you ever run crafting dailies? Those are almost certainly more common than fishing for most players. Not all of course, but given that it is a reasonable way to make gold, it is far more likely AND it is a daily quest.

Yes. I run crafting dailies. I craft all of my food ahead of time because it stacks and I have the passive to make more than one at a time anyway. I visit the provisioning station like once a month.

Meanwhile, the people I know who fish are visiting multiple times a week.
      • ArchMikem
        ArchMikem
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Players are more likely to filet than they are to be making food, that's my logical reason.
        CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
        Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
      • FlopsyPrince
        FlopsyPrince
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭

Yes. I run crafting dailies. I craft all of my food ahead of time because it stacks and I have the passive to make more than one at a time anyway. I visit the provisioning station like once a month.

I bet you are not on console. Good to precraft, but only checking at the station will easily tell you if you have what you need. Maybe that is not an issue for you, but it is on my console characters.
        ArchMikem wrote: »
        Players are more likely to filet than they are to be making food, that's my logical reason.

Based on what? More fishing than daily crafting (without large amounts of pre-crafting)? Really?
        PC
        PS4/PS5
      • spartaxoxo
        spartaxoxo
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I bet you are not on console. Good to precraft, but only checking at the station will easily tell you if you have what you need. Maybe that is not an issue for you, but it is on my console characters.

I am on console. I keep what I need in my inventory. When I get the quest notification that I need to craft something, I make extra of it. So if the quest is like Make a Firsthold Fruit and Cheese platter or whatever its called, instead of crafting 1, I hold down the button. It brings up a menu that lets me craft multiple. I'll make like 10 at a time, and that nets me 40 of that item.

Afterwards, I don't see that notification for that item again for a long time.
      • katanagirl1
        katanagirl1
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭

I do provisioning crafting dailies each day on all my toons, no precrafting. On console.
        Khajiit Stamblade
        Dark Elf Magsorc
        Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
        Orc Stamplar PVP
        Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• kringled_1
        kringled_1
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭

Although I precraft my provisioning dailies, 'craft x [food/drinks/items]' has come up an awful lot in the endeavors recently. So I've been visiting more than I would have thought.
      • Grizzbeorn
        Grizzbeorn
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Based on what? More fishing than daily crafting (without large amounts of pre-crafting)? Really?

All of your statements are based on guesses, just like anyone else's.
        Nobody has any hard proof, either way, but all people are telling you is that the filet option gets plenty of use beyond what you think it does.
          PC/NA Warden Main
        • FlopsyPrince
          FlopsyPrince
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭

I am on console. I keep what I need in my inventory. When I get the quest notification that I need to craft something, I make extra of it. So if the quest is like Make a Firsthold Fruit and Cheese platter or whatever its called, instead of crafting 1, I hold down the button. It brings up a menu that lets me craft multiple. I'll make like 10 at a time, and that nets me 40 of that item.

How do you know you have them crafted already? I do that as well, but find I need to hit the Provisioning fire in Summerset to validate that question in my crafting round.
          PC
          PS4/PS5
        • FlopsyPrince
          FlopsyPrince
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭

Nobody has any hard proof, either way, but all people are telling you is that the filet option gets plenty of use beyond what you think it does.

Are you seriously arguing more people fish in the game than do a daily crafting cooking task, even with extra pre-crafting? Really?

OK, to each his own I suppose. But I will still bet far more use it for crafting. I have seen a few fishing "in the wild" but far more running around the Alinor crafting area.
          Edited by FlopsyPrince on February 12, 2024 7:27AM
          PC
          PS4/PS5
        • Pixiepumpkin
          Pixiepumpkin
          ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you seriously arguing more people fish in the game than do a daily crafting cooking task, even with extra pre-crafting? Really?

OK, to each his own I suppose. But I will still be far more use it for crafting. I have seen a few fishing "in the wild" but far more running around the Alinor crafting area.

I can tell you as an absolute that players overall are NOT fishing more than they are doing daily craftings for cooking.
          If that was the case, you'd see nothing but fishermen in this game.
          "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
          PC/NA
        • spartaxoxo
          spartaxoxo
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you know you have them crafted already? I do that as well, but find I need to hit the Provisioning fire in Summerset to validate that question in my crafting round.

There's a quest tracker you can turn on in settings and flip through using the dpad. It tells you what is needed for whichever is quest is your active quest. I also have the quest tracker set to change my quest to whichever quest I last picked up. So I know at the writ board whether I need to visit the alchemy or provisioning table at all.

kdk4tz26qywg.jpg
          61m6gntqlthr.jpg

You can also set the table to only show you what you need for your active quest. So even if you don't bother with keeping track using the quest tracker, you don't need to actually know which item is needed prior to hitting the table.

1tcdacif4wjo.jpg

So I don't bother to keep much track of that all. I just follow the quest tracker usually.

If you take the alchemy one last, you'll instantly know if you need to bother with the alchemy table. From there I do all my equipment since I don't pre-craft that. Prior to turn in, I make sure I cycle through quickly on the d-pad to double check I have everything. Since I pick Alchemy last (so it's automatically my latest quest) it easily runs through just the writs in alphabetical order. During that check I know if I need to bother with the provisioning table (usually don't) and if I missed any equipment.
          Edited by spartaxoxo on February 12, 2024 8:04AM
        • ApoAlaia
          ApoAlaia
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭
          Personally I too would rather that 'filleting' wasn't the default 'scene' (or however is called, not sure) when accessing the provisioning station.

Ideally there should be an option for the user to select their preference per station.

However until (and if) such option is made available, if one is on PC and doesn't have issues with using addons 'FCO Craft Filter' will make the aforementioned option available to the player.
        • Grizzbeorn
          Grizzbeorn
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭

NO, that's NOT what I am arguing.

I'm arguing that ENOUGH people fish on a regular basis (more than you believe exist, based on mere conjecture), and for multiple reasons, that ZOS decided to add the filet option to Provisioning Stations. They didn't add the option just because, for something to do on a slow day. They have hard data which supports that choice.

And then there's the fact that multiple people have put forth, that the filet option is in the same position on the Provisioning Station as the Refining option on other stations which have that option, which totally blows your original complaint out of the water.

Edited by Grizzbeorn on February 12, 2024 9:46AM
            PC/NA Warden Main
          • Pixiepumpkin
            Pixiepumpkin
            ✭✭✭✭✭
            I severely dislike the change. I don't filet fish at all. I find ESO fishing rather boring.

Minecraft fishing is good.
            Raft fishing is good.
            WoW fishing is mildly ok (mounts drop from fishing).
            New World fishing is actually fun.
            Palia fishing is was pretty fun.
            Valheim fishing is ok (wife likes it) but I prefer to pick of fish stranded on the shore, which is pretty cool.
            Dinkum fishing is good.

But ESO fishing...I just don't get it. The only real mechianic is the line wiggling and the loot is sub-par.

And now, every time I open provisioning I am met with a big fat empty space. At least with other crafting I always have a list of materials there and things to refine.

Now if we could get fish passively somehow instead of forcing the bore of fishing, it might not be so bad but as it stands I do not like the change.
            Edited by Pixiepumpkin on February 12, 2024 9:55AM
            PC/NA