Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

So as i am pouring through my 7 accounts on the first day of crates

ClowdyAllDay
ClowdyAllDay
✭✭✭
i find much is useless, some is offensive, and some is just not desired. I dont mean to seem ungrateful, it';s just that prayer beads and body are i find offensive. durzogs are gross. and what's left over so far is just normal daily login stuff like potions which are ok but the poisons i gemify. i wish i could gemify some body art and prayer beads. still have 3 accounts to go so hopefully something interesting emerges...
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    so this was interesting. a warhorseoxzv2gko2kbd.png

also got a hackey sack emote which i forgot to screenshot. uses a charrus egg and they cal it an egg scramble
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    i find much is useless, some is offensive, and some is just not desired. I dont mean to seem ungrateful, it';s just that prayer beads and body are i find offensive. durzogs are gross. and what's left over so far is just normal daily login stuff like potions which are ok but the poisons i gemify. i wish i could gemify some body art and prayer beads. still have 3 accounts to go so hopefully something interesting emerges...

My friend I agree. The loot boxes in ESO are so bad. 90% of the time you get nothing but trash pots, mimic stones or similar crap that no one needs. I have 1200 tri potions and like 300 crown meals from these things.
    Push Posh Applesauce, Pocket Full of Marmalade.
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    the egg hatch was not so interesting though. guess thats all for today.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

My friend I agree. The loot boxes in ESO are so bad. 90% of the time you get nothing but trash pots, mimic stones or similar crap that no one needs. I have 1200 tri potions and like 300 crown meals from these things.

I've come across a sure sign I've spent too much time on the game: I immediately associated the "My friend" opening of your post with a quest giver in Marbruk.

The loot boxes are crap I agree.
  • Diebesgut
    Diebesgut
    ✭✭✭✭
    7 Accounts ! 🙀
    Khajiit Sicherheitsdienst ~ Überprüfung von Schlössern aller Art ~ Khajiit Security ~ Inspection of any kind of locks
    Khajiit Gebrauchtwaren ~ Handel mit Waren aller Art ~ Khajiit Store ~ Trading of any kind of goods
    Playstation
  • Ilumia
    Ilumia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy getting them because I will at least get gems I can use to get the items I want, and from time to time something neat drops :)

When I get xp-scrolls, food, soul gems, potions or suchlike from the login reward I can't get gems and an alternative reward, so I much prefer crates.
    Edited by Ilumia on February 9, 2024 9:13AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why loot boxes are never a good deal for players even when you're guaranteed to get something the company claims is worth the cost of the box. It's highly unlikely to be something you want.

I think it's blind luck that the 1 apex mount I got from a free crate is one I don't mind using, most of them would never get used. But the same set of crates also gave me a spider pet and then I actually asked customer support to delete it from my account (which thankfully they did).

Opening free crates just confirmed I'd made the right decision in never paying for them, because I'm unlikely to get things I actually want. When endeavours were added I went back through all the existing crates, because until then I'd largely ignored what was in them, and confirmed there really isn't a lot I like, but at least using seals means I can pick out those items.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • OsUfi
    OsUfi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion on free crates has recently changed, as in my terrible luck from free crown crates is good. It actively discourages me from ever spending any real money on crown crates.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both severs the same, 4 gems and a pet I'll never use. Situation normal.
    PC EU
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OsUfi wrote: »
    My opinion on free crates has recently changed, as in my terrible luck from free crown crates is good. It actively discourages me from ever spending any real money on crown crates.

I suspect this is why they stopped giving out free crates for a long time. It was supposed to advertise crates and encourage players to buy more, but based on comments on this forum every time they were given away it did the opposite. It's easier for players to imagine they might get lucky and get something good when they're not periodically faced with the reality of the situation.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Ilumia
    Ilumia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getting something I specifically want and think is good from the login rewards is the same lottery for me, that's why I like when they give crates, because I'll get to choose a pet or something I want with the gems I get this month. I don't mind so much that I don't get good stuff from the free crates, cause it's still better for me than alternative login rewards.
    It's 5 days of gems this time + possibility of other stuff that I might like, which will at the very least give me the gems needed for a 16 gem purchase, where there's often nice pets that I like to use as furnishings. Or I can save them up for later if I prefer.
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    Diebesgut wrote: »
    7 Accounts ! 🙀

they were 5.99 each on sale.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why wouldn’t you exchange them for Gems then??? I’m not saying the loot boxes are great — I don’t know any game in which they are. I remember liking in SWTOR that the rewards were not bound so I felt it worthwhile to buy a pack on release as I could sell what I didn’t want. I felt the GW2 loot boxes were worse because junk items could not be exchanged and many items were bound so I don’t think I ever bought them unless they came with some guaranteed item I wanted. ESO’s are better in several respects, but I don’t buy them unless there are many things I like in a particular set or I need just a few more Gems for something I do want. If you go in with realistic expectations then you won’t be disappointed and you may be pleasantly surprised. I’m not saying people should buy crates, but each must decide if and when it is worth it. But definitely don’t complain when they are free!
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 9, 2024 3:09PM
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always been ok with the free crates no matter what they contained. I will not buy the crates myself so whether I get items I will use or they get turned into gems I figure I come away with more than I started with.
  • JustLovely
    JustLovely
    ✭✭✭

The free crates are kinda nice to get, for free. And it's good for players, like me, who'd never buy a crown crate, to see how bad the RNG is.
  • Braggar
    Braggar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    This is why loot boxes are never a good deal for players even when you're guaranteed to get something the company claims is worth the cost of the box. It's highly unlikely to be something you want.

I think it's blind luck that the 1 apex mount I got from a free crate is one I don't mind using, most of them would never get used. But the same set of crates also gave me a spider pet and then I actually asked customer support to delete it from my account (which thankfully they did).

Opening free crates just confirmed I'd made the right decision in never paying for them, because I'm unlikely to get things I actually want. When endeavours were added I went back through all the existing crates, because until then I'd largely ignored what was in them, and confirmed there really isn't a lot I like, but at least using seals means I can pick out those items.

There was a sweetroll, in my free crate. December 2023. About 300 gems worth, I was surprised.

4ktz7gg5tocl.jpg

Edited by Braggar on February 9, 2024 4:21PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is what it is. They have to put a lot of filler in because if they only had good stuff, people would get what they want quickly and stop buying crates.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep track of everything you get in your free crates (including gems for items you turned back in). Replace the crates in the monthly reward listing with those items. Now look at the month again, pretending it had those items instead of crates. What would you think of a month like that? My guess is most people would be quite pleased.

The "preview" crate is a guaranteed non-combat pet. So, at the very least, you are getting a non-combat pet and a bunch of gems. I think if the crate week had been replaced with a bunch of gems and a non-combat pet, people would be like, "Nice! Great week!" And that is the minimum you are getting. You will likely get something from the other crates: a hat, a costume, an emote, etc.

But instead everyone seems angry they did not get a Radiant Apex mount from the first crate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were never anywhere close to interesting crates for me. I opened 6 (one on each of 3 accounts, both PC megaservers).

I got 3 pets, 2 emotes, a body marking and a face marking, 2 costumes (neither of which I had, which is amazing in its own right), a couple of things worth 13 gems each, and of course a lot of other gems (estimated total 35 or so). Oh, and one major adornment. 3 of the crates popped a 5th card. I'm happy enough with it.

Edited by TaSheen on February 9, 2024 8:07PM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    But the same set of crates also gave me a spider pet and then I actually asked customer support to delete it from my account (which thankfully they did).

Lol :)
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭
    7 Accounts ! 🙀

And this is why no one takes the forums seriously...folks who get banned just grab another account cheap to free....
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 Accounts ! 🙀

And this is why no one takes the forums seriously...folks who get banned just grab another account cheap to free....

It's cheaper to buy the game on sale than it is to pay for more character slots.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because the content isn't something you appreciate in reality doesn't make it offensive. Also did you mean "Body Art"? As in Tattoos?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the crates would be worth more if they removed all "Fine" and "Common" tier rewards.
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I’ve seen come up in the Crown store in the past few months that was interesting was that big mushroom that you can play like a drum. I didn’t get it, because I don’t do that crown store stuff, but I’ve seen people playing it and I find it amusing.

The recolor/reskins of existing mounts, etc., are extremely uninteresting to me.

Probably the most entertainment I get out of the game these days derives from the creative names that people come up with for their Khajit characters.

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are some things offensive? And which, I don't see anything offensive in the crates and I doubt ZOS would release crates with offensive things in them. Even more so when these crates is almost 3 years old.

I like getting free crates, there's not a single downside to getting them instead of some research or xp scroll. Can get some cosmetic I don't have and if not I will always get at least a few gems.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on February 10, 2024 5:25PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭
    7 Accounts ! 🙀

Between the job, the life & still hours daily of just playing ESO on 1!! Account …. I gotta ask, cause even 24/7 eso doesn’t seem to cut this…do you own Time-Turner clock from Harry Potter or what?
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭
    Curious to hear what you find "offensive"?
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    How are some things offensive? And which, I don't see anything offensive in the crates and I doubt ZOS would release crates with offensive things in them. Even more so when these crates is almost 3 years old.

I like getting free crates, there's not a single downside to getting them instead of some research or xp scroll. Can get some cosmetic I don't have and if not I will always get at least a few gems.

religious symbols and body markings are offensive to me.
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    7 Accounts ! 🙀

It's cheaper to buy the game on sale than it is to pay for more character slots.

also with 10 accounts you can have 5 guilds and 2500 guild bank spaces for storing mats and gear