Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

How closely do you...

c4bloyb16_ESO
c4bloyb16_ESO
✭✭
How closely do you identify with your characters? Is there a particular one which resonates more than the others? How does your personality play out?

• AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I joined ESO it was during Covid, and due to that and experiencing a few of my childhood friends all dying young in the same year, he ended up being a Eulogist (Necromancer). It wasn't the brightest time in my life and I think my mood and character type reflected that.

Over time I created quite a variety of characters, each having some small aspect of myself in them.

Late last year I changed mains from this character and created a Warden that I roleplay as a Druid-Knight. Probably one of those "ideal version of myself" type characters, loving nature and animals and trying to do the right thing. Playing the character feels a lot more positive and hopeful which I also like.

Random pic from today - taken 2 seconds after buying the Mara 2-Seater. Random Argonian just stopped in his tracks seeing poor Sharp =D

h72d0p1x11j6.jpg
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont identify with them at all. Otherwise I would never be able to fight, murder, steal, perform magic, heal mortal wounds with a drink, carry hundreds of pounds of junk and run for hours.

That being said, some of my characters are nice like me, some are snarky as i like to be, but none are mean.
    Edited by Nestor on February 8, 2024 7:45PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How closely do you identify with your characters?

More than I should :D

Not the murderous aspects, of course, and obviously I know the difference between fiction and reality, but certain personality traits show. I even have the impression it's getting more over the years. With my main, at least.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of my characters are "fantasy ideals" of myself.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pretty closely with all of them.
    especially my first 9 characters, my main character most of all.

a little less with the other 11 characters, possibly because i haven't played with them as much as with the first 9.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How closely do you identify with your characters? Is there a particular one which resonates more than the others? How does your personality play out?

I don't identify with my characters at all.

To me, that is the whole point for playing an RPG game. If I wanted to play myself, I'd have to drive into work every day. :smile:

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I don't identify with my characters at all.
    To me, that is the whole point for playing an RPG game. If I wanted to play myself, I'd have to drive into work every day. :smile:

It wasn't my intention either, originally, but after all these years, some of my real-life traits just show through my main (and I've actually wondered a few times if that's "good" or "bad" - well, not completely seriously, of course, it's still a game after all). I guess I'm a bad roleplayer, in that regard :p Although I'm doing better with my other characters, at least. Those are completely different to rl me (but I'm also playing them much less often than my main...).
    Tandor wrote: »
    I am not my characters, and they are not me.
    That's just one reason why I don't subscribe to the argument that achievements are earned by the player and not their characters.

I also still feel AwA was an awful decision. I don't even think it's a matter if one identifies with a character or even every single character one has created. It's still seperate people, separate stories. For many players, at least, I think.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    i typically take a 3rd person perspective to content... it is often more enjoyable to experience something new for me.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My characters share some personality traits with me, mostly my hatred of Argonians and my dislike for spell casting, but other than that they are separate entities.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Syldras
      Syldras
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »
      My characters share some personality traits with me, mostly my hatred of Argonians

Now that interests me. Please don't understand it as criticism, it's a real question out of curiousity: Why do you hate Argonians? I'm wondering because I personally don't have any strong negative feelings regarding any fictional race, be it in TES or elsewhere. There are some I like more and others not so much (as in: I'd not play them myself or find some aspects of their portrayal annoying), and I notice of course if some are deliberately designed as "the evil ones" in a story, but I still don't have strong feeling about them, I just see them as a part of a fictive narration, and that's it.
      @Syldras | PC | EU
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Syldras wrote: »
      Kendaric wrote: »
      My characters share some personality traits with me, mostly my hatred of Argonians

Now that interests me. Please don't understand it as criticism, it's a real question out of curiousity: Why do you hate Argonians? I'm wondering because I personally don't have any strong negative feelings regarding any fictional race, be it in TES or elsewhere. There are some I like more and others not so much (as in: I'd not play them myself or find some aspects of their portrayal annoying), and I notice of course if some are deliberately designed as "the evil ones" in a story, but I still don't have strong feeling about them, I just see them as a part of a fictive narration, and that's it.

It's mainly because of their voices and the way they talk in ESO. It's similar to view on gnomes in WoW or even in PnP D&D, I just can't stand them. They irritate me for some reason I can't really lay a finger on.
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • ArchMikem
        ArchMikem
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        My Characters are people I'd either wish I was, or wish were my friends. I envision them into everything I'd love about someone.
        CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
        Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
      • Malyore
        Malyore
        ✭✭✭
        My character is one I've taken through all the main elder scrolls games. I found as my character changed for the better over time, so have I. Not sure what that means or why it happened, but it's deepened my appreciation for them. The other characters I use in ESO are just random fillers for dungeons and crafting. Usually argonians since I like them.
      • AzuraFan
        AzuraFan
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I don't identify with them at all. For me, ESO isn't that type of game.
      • moo_2021
        moo_2021
        ✭✭✭✭
        My character is happy and he loves animals
      • Syldras
        Syldras
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Malyore wrote: »
        My character is one I've taken through all the main elder scrolls games.

Same with my main, I've been playing him since TES3 (and later also played him in Arena and Daggerfall, but when they were originally released, I was still a bit too young to play them on my own).

I think it would be hard not to have some emotional relation to a character one plays for so long. Not different to authors who also often have an emotional attachment to the protagonists of their books, if they write a longer series over several years, so I've read.
        @Syldras | PC | EU
      • Hapexamendios
        Hapexamendios
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭
        I don't. The characters are my escape from reality.
      • SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Each of my characters develop their own personalities and I tend to play them a little differently based on that. I don't plan to do that... it just happens.

None of them are me, though.
        PCNA
      • chessalavakia_ESO
        chessalavakia_ESO
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Generally, I start with an rp then gradually lose it as I run out of content to play that aligns with it.
      • Ilsabet
        Ilsabet
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        I create my characters with their own personalities and backstories, some more detailed than others, and they're all their own "person" distinct from each other and from me. Some of them share characteristics with me, although that's less by design and more happenstance. Between my acting background, D&D experience, and generally healthy imagination, it's fairly natural for me to get into character while I'm navigating a game world, and establishing enough of a backstory to give me an idea of the character's values and general approach to dealing with stuff is very helpful that way.

Of course, that kind of active "acting" isn't as relevant in a video game as at a D&D table where I'm literally portraying a character, so in practice I tend to fall back on a lot of standard gameplay patterns like trying to help people whenever I can and killing anyone who attacks me and stealing anything I can get my hands on. I might diverge from that for subsequent alts, like being more murdery or more prickly or whatever. But I also may or may not actively play those alts, so they may or may not get a chance to assert those different personalities in the course of doing quests. But I still like having them around, and even if my goal is just "make a stamina arcanist to do trials" I'll still come up with a story for them because I think it's fun. (I will note that stealing is not something I do in real life, so that's definitely a divergence point because I can. :D)

As far as attachment, I'm definitely very invested in my main character and Doer of All the Things, Ilsabet. The fact that I've been narrating her adventures in the first person for eight years might have something to do with that. :D Her personality actually coalesced through that creative process, and it's become quite natural for me to see the questing experience from her perspective. Our personalities probably have quite a bit in common, but she's still her own distinct person with her own voice.
        Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
        Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
        My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
        Ilsabet's Headcanon
        The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
        PC NA
      • katanagirl1
        katanagirl1
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        I usually create characters and then sort of make up their backstory as I go along. All of my adds turned out that way.

My main character is probably most like me, though. She was the only character I had for a long time. I think she was well into Champion Points before I created another one. I did as much of the game as I could solo, quests through Cadwell’s Gold, complete exploration of Cyrodiil. So it took a long time to reach CP 160 for her. On console text chat is default set to off, so I didn’t even know what other players were doing or saying. I got a guild invite and joined a guild and wondered where this guild was located on the map.

So she is a loner, just like me. I made her a skinny Khajiit to be different, like me. She was going to be a model citizen Khajiit, no stealing to defy the stereotype, but the difficulties of finding housing furnishings drove her to the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood to get what she needed.

That is where our similarities diverge.

I enjoy playing my other characters but I play her when I just want to enjoy playing or work on achievements. So she really is me in that sense because she is doing what I want to do.
        Khajiit Stamblade
        Dark Elf Magsorc
        Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
        Orc Stamplar PVP
        Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Erickson9610
        Erickson9610
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I don't identify with my characters, nor do I roleplay as my characters. My characters are an interface for me, the user, to interact with this video game.

I mean, really — many of my characters have jokes or puns for names. I don't think they would or even could actually exist in TES canon. If anything, they'd be generic, unnamed NPCs, rather than characters with fleshed-out personalities or backgrounds.
      • RaddlemanNumber7
        RaddlemanNumber7
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭
        The only one of my characters who resembles me in any way is my master crafter. He's my oldest toon, and his adventuring days are long over. He starts every day at home doing his chores (writs). Opens the mail. Takes in the deliveries. Makes sure everyone else has the things they need. He mostly leaves the house just to run errands and go shopping. He completes Daily Endeavours like eating, drinking, reading books, and similar. Useful, but not very exciting.

As for my actual adventurers, their world does not allow them to be like me much at all. The game doesn't really give them enough choices.
        PC EU
      • Danikat
        Danikat
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I approach it like creating characters for a story I'm writing (except that most of the story is already written). I think about what they're going to do and imagine what type of person would do that, then create that person.

I suppose each of them has a bit of me in them, since I created them, but I've always been adamant that my characters are not me. They do things I would never do, certainly would never choose to do, top of the list being kill other people. I hope I never have to find out what I'd do in a situation where the only way to save my own life is to kill another person, but I already know I'd avoid being in that position if I could. My characters choose to put themselves in danger every single day (except my crafter, who can spend entire weeks in Alinor).

Since they're not me they don't need to look like me either. The closest I come to that is one of them also has very long hair, but hers is black and straight whereas mine is brown and frizzy. Other than that they look however I imagine them looking when I'm coming up with the idea for the character, sometimes with last minute additions, it was only when I was going through the character creator that I decided to give my sorcerer a tattoo, but that he'd never have it showing and kind of regrets getting it. It's a sign that he actually can be more impulsive than he thinks is appropriate for a dignified scholar.

On some of them when I'm presented with a moral choice I'll pick the one I think is right. But then with others I'll pick what I think they would do in that situation, even if I think it's a terrible idea. I also have one evil character who will always pick what I think is the worst choice, especially the ones I'd never otherwise choose it and I want to see what happens.
        PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
      • Treeshka
        Treeshka
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        When it comes to role play with emote chat and what not. Entirely.
      • Dithieon
        Dithieon
        ✭✭✭
        My characters are just game pieces to move around the board, like the shoe or thimble in Monopoly.
        "There is a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand" - Ser Jorah Mormont