Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Strains of lycanthropy - wolf, boar and bear

Drammanoth
Drammanoth
✭✭✭✭✭
This has already been requested, so I'm just adding my request as well.

Strain of Hircine's gift - werebear and wereboar. The bear as a tank morph and boar as a CC DPS. I doubt there could be a strain for healer though.

Couldn't we have a choice during The Hunting Grounds quest, where while kneeling, Hircine asks us something along the lines of:

"...Now, which animal calls to you? A wolf? A boar? Or maybe a bear?"

"Wolves are prowlers of the forest. Boars can charge you and trample you before you can even draw your weapon. And bears - the most durable of my kin."

We could see that ZOS is tying loose ends, as some Forum User has neatly put it, and I guess werewolf fans would be thrilled to be able to choose.

My wishlist for ESO
I.Skills:
>>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow
>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

II.Overland Mechanics
>>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)
>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)
>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
>>Craft Tree development

III.Replayable content in overland
>>pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince

IV.Geography
>>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Therianthropy' is the term for multiple beast forms, Lycanthropy refers to wolves only. I agree that more Werebeast forms would add more fun and variety to the game. Though victims of Therianthrope attacks don't get to choose what form the disease will manifest. If one is attacked by a Werewolf they become a werewolf, if by a Werevulture they become a werevulture. The same system in place for NPC encounters would suffice. All that would be needed is to place additional Werebeast spawns under the full moon in appropriate locations.

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Therianthropy' is the term for multiple beast forms, (...)
    THANK YOU! I know 'lykos' / 'lupos' means wolf, but good luck explaining people that 'therion' means animal, beast.

Just as historically, necromancy has nothing to do with raising undead, but rather contacting the dead to predict the future, so too people would sooner refer to Hircine's gift as lycanthropy , which can be called an umbrella term.

Aaaaand you're right - spawning places. I do wonder though, how many people know of the fact that there are those NPCs which can infect you.
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development

>>pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
    >>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh man I wanna be a man-bear-pig!
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time we were able to turn into some werecreature other than a werewolf in a TES game was in TES II: Daggerfall, where we could become a wereboar or a werewolf. After that, the only other werebeast we've seen was the werebear in TES V: Skyrim. "Werebats", as seen in ESO, aren't technically werecreatures created by Hircine, so I'm not counting those.

I'd imagine that if we got the option to become any of those other werecreatures, then they might all be balanced against one another, rather than against Vampire. Also, I'd imagine that the Vampire fans would want other strains of vampirism than the one they get in ESO. If we get other werebeast skill lines, then they should get other strains of vampirism as separate skill lines, such as the old strain of vampirism (where feeding reduced your stage, rather than increased it) or perhaps one which lets you become a Vampire Lord rather than a Blood Scion and use those special abilities while in form.

If we don't get separate skill lines for other werebeasts, I'd imagine we'd get some of them as Skill Styles for Werewolf Transformation, to make you look like a werebear or a wereboar rather than like a werewolf. Likewise, Vampire players might expect to get a Skill Style for Blood Scion to make them look like Vampire Lords instead.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As much as you would want "Multiple" strains I cannot see what the differences between them could be, a Werebear I could see as a slow moving tank but what would a Wereboar do that a Werewolf or Werebear couldnt?

Maybe just adding a Werebear form as an alternative to Werewolf where you gain 30% boost to health instead of Stamina and it functions more like a Tank form then a DPS form.

As for Vampire, perhaps a "thinblood" option, we are way past the reasoning for why the player cannot become a Vampire naturally seeing as the main quest is optional and a lot of players don't even do it, not being able to turn because you have been corrupted by Molag Bal makes no sense at this point, a thin-blooded Vampire would happen if the player does not do the Vampire Quest, they would become a more "Typical" form of Vampire where starving makes you stronger, although you would share the same skills you would not have the blood scion ultimate and feeding would be reverse, maybe you would have a "Vampiric Frenzy" as an ultimate that functions as a "Lesser" version of the blood Scion ultimate, they do not transform into anything but they become feral increasing attack power for a short time.
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as you would want "Multiple" strains I cannot see what the differences between them could be, a Werebear I could see as a slow moving tank but what would a Wereboar do that a Werewolf or Werebear couldnt?

Maybe just adding a Werebear form as an alternative to Werewolf where you gain 30% boost to health instead of Stamina and it functions more like a Tank form then a DPS form.(...).
    Yup, perfect! Let werebear have an AoE taunt - something unique.

As for boar - charging and stunning, pushing away, doing bleeding OR disease damage, slowing enemies and propelling allies (like Scatter Shot - saving them from some predicament). Pretty much the wereboar would be a CC oriented strain.
    Edited by Drammanoth on January 31, 2024 10:46PM
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:

II.Overland Mechanics

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development

IV.Geography

V.Other
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be cool to have different strains and animal types yes. Maybe when we get to the Hunting grounds as an explorable zone? Would be a good fit.

Plus you can add "local" variations to the base game.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Strixxe
    Strixxe
    It would be cool to have different types of furries in the wild.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need a Hircine themed DLC. Maybe werewolf will finally get reworked and updated.