Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Explorer Reboot Question

Seravi
Seravi
✭✭✭✭✭
I stopped playing ESO because of the security program they install. It always rebooted explorer.exe and my desktop when I started and exited ESO. I was on WIN 7 at that time. I am now on WIN 10 and thinking of coming back and wanted to know if this still happens on startup or exit of ESO. You can see this info in the event logs of your system.

Thanks!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could just log in once and on exiting check the info you refer to. Won't cost you anything as you already own the game. I appreciate you may need to install the game, of course, but it would be the most reliable way of getting the answer as you know what you're looking for in the events log.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah was avoiding installing if this is still an issue. Hated it rebooted my desktop all the time. I had a new system built to move from WIN 7.

I remember a few WIN 10 users said it rebooted their desktop. Just didn't know if that was still an issue or not.

New System:

CPU: intel i9-13900K with EKWB LGA 1700 ILM Replacement Kit
    Motherboard: MSI Pro Z790-A WiFi
    GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4090 TUF Gaming OC 24G
    RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6000 CL30
    Hard Drive: (2) Samsung 990 Pro NVMe, 1TB and 2TB
    Operating System: Windows 10
    Case: Lian Li V3000 Plus

Cooling

(3) Loops
    CPU: EK Quantum Velocity² Nickel/Plexi
    GPU: OptimusPC Signature V2 4090 GPU Block
    NVMe Cards: AlphaCool HDX Apex Acrylic aRGB blocks
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been on Win 10 since the free upgrade (2015?) and have never once had this issue since I started playing ESO in 2017.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah most didn't have the issue but there were some that, like me could see the desktop reset and then it was also in the event log where the game would stop then start the process every time you logged in or out of ESO. Really hope it isn't an issue. Didn't see any mention of this for a while after I left.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seravi wrote: »
    Yeah most didn't have the issue but there were some that, like me could see the desktop reset and then it was also in the event log where the game would stop then start the process every time you logged in or out of ESO. Really hope it isn't an issue. Didn't see any mention of this for a while after I left.

In the thread where you posted about this back in 2022, Kevin ultimately described the final state of this as a "known issue with Windows 7" that would persist "for the foreseeable future" because it was "related to necessary security features" with ESO.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7619724/#Comment_7619724

There were several threads on it at the time. My understanding is that in U33, Windows 7 machines ended up in a state where explorer.exe had to be restarted after exiting ESO in order to open other programs. ZOS initially automated the process of restarting explorer.exe upon exiting ESO so players wouldn't have to restart explorer.exe or their computers manually, and lots of people noticed that just as you described (seeing the desktop reset, etc.). ZOS then went back and fixed it for Windows 10 and 11 but could not change it for Windows 7 due to the way they'd implemented certain security features.

In at least some cases, the issue was also present (and may remain present) on installations that were direct upgrades to Windows 10 or 11 from 7.

A clean install of 10 or 11 should not have the same issue where you can see explorer.exe restart. I can't speak to what is actually happening behind the scenes, as I haven't checked the event log viewer recently, but I do not notice it on a clean install of 10 or 11, and I have both between my PC and my laptop.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah thank you! I was looking through all of the threads reading as I "thought" ZOS was planning on a fix but hadn't seen where one had taken place. Mine is a clean install of 10 as it is a new system I had built and have been using since Sept 2023. Thanks again everyone for the input! :)
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the issue was resolved! YEAH!!! Just reinstalled the game and getting my sub set up. I don't remember a thing about how to do anything in this game but looking forward to my adventures!

Thanks again for the replies!!!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back then @Seravi! Happy adventures!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....