Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

With Scribing being the spiritual successor to Spellcrafting...

Maitsukas
Maitsukas
✭✭✭✭✭
... and it being something many were players were wishing for many years, I have one question:
or4jg6l5m2gb.jpg
Call me Mait
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As the other guy said; this isn't spellcrafting. It's kinda like when Zos made a half stam half mag version of DK whip, and then passive aggressively said "you can finally stop asking for a stam whip now." Is this cool? Yeah. Is this spellcrafting? No. It may have inspired it, but it's not the same. I'd still be happy if in the future they released spellcrafting. But I'm less inclined to ask for it now.
    Edited by merpins on January 18, 2024 10:03PM
  • RupzSkooma
    RupzSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for spellcrafting and being able to summon that atronach they showed almost 10 years ago! #neverlosehope
    That can be a part of the system they annnounced either at release or later.

Edited by RupzSkooma on January 18, 2024 10:09PM
    Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    as long as it's not going to be like what they did to Grim Focus, I'm cautiously optimistic.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I know what will happen, but It is tragic and you click on the Spoiler at your own risk:
    Some one will die in PvP too many times or some one will have too good result in PvE vet HM Trial and ZOS will nerf Spellcrafting Scribing to the point where it is just a RP thing.

Anyway, I am still waiting for:
    - Spears / Polearms
    - New werewolf models / different types of were-creatures
    - Black Marsh Chapter (Helstrom, central Argonia)
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spellcrafting's all well and good, but I'm just waiting for
    a Stibbons mount
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »
    ... and it being something many were players were wishing for many years, I have one question:
    or4jg6l5m2gb.jpg

A PvP DLC
  • ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever it is, it's not nothing. It's not a card game and some annoying NPC to follow me around.

So I'm oddly enthusiastic...I can't remember when that happened last with ESO
    Edited by ForumBully on January 19, 2024 12:50AM
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, first we have to see how the system works and if it’s actually spellcrafting.

If it turns out to be awesome then.. enjoy the game? What do you mean ‘now what’?
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought Scribing was the precursor to what eventually becomes Spellcrafting 1000 years later.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on January 19, 2024 5:08AM
    PC NA
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for spellcrafting and being able to summon that atronach they showed almost 10 years ago! #neverlosehope

I said this elsewhere, but the new system is - in theory - even more flexible than the old concept. They could simply add a Conjuration grimoire to say the Mages Guild skill line, which we could then apply scripts for various conjurations to - Flame, Frost, Flesh atronachs, Familiars, maybe even Undead. The only question is, will they do it.

So I don't expect the gimme gimme gimme to stop, we'll just keep asking for specific spells.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bring us spells from other TES games!!

Ice Spike, Muffle, Conjure Frost Atronach, Fireball, Conjure Familiar, Oakflesh...

That's next for me.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scribing does not affect class abilties, and is only used for weapon skill lines and even then I think its a new ability for each weapon, not a modification of all abilities.

So for magic users who prefer class abilities (arcanist was a huge step in the right direction imo), this is a useless feature.

I'd like to be wrong, but I don't use weapon abiliites for the most part and frankily wish I did not have to equip a weapon at all or rather I could choose a smaller *STAT STICK* that still allows for ranged attacks for resourse managment.

If you are a ranged player and you are a class player, scribing seems to offer little to your gameplay.

Edited by Pixiepumpkin on January 19, 2024 8:35AM
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭
    or4jg6l5m2gb.jpg

A PvP DLC

Did you see the PvP mention at the end of the stream?

Regarding scribing, I am really looking forward to it. Already got ideas for things I would like to try with it.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or4jg6l5m2gb.jpg

Now it's time for crossbows.
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trejgon wrote: »
    Correction to the tile of the post: scribing is not supposed to be spiritual successor to spellcrafting, but precursor. Since you know, ESO happens like 2 eras prior to mainline TES singleplayer games.
    Scribing does not affect class abilties, and is only used for weapon skill lines and even then I think its a new ability for each weapon, not a modification of all abilities.

So for magic users who prefer class abilities (arcanist was a huge step in the right direction imo), this is a useless feature.

I'd like to be wrong, but I don't use weapon abiliites for the most part and frankily wish I did not have to equip a weapon at all or rather I could choose a smaller *STAT STICK* that still allows for ranged attacks for resourse managment.

If you are a ranged player and you are a class player, scribing seems to offer little to your gameplay.

Some corrections based on additional information outside of the main reveal event:
    Scribing on launch will include 1 grimoire for each weapon skill (as you said) but also, mages guild, fighters guild, soul magic, assault, and support skill lines.
    Additionally they do have plans to expand it to eventually every skill line (including class skill lines) have their grimoires in the future, but for time constraints there is only so many grimoire they can ship with the launch of the chapter, and they decided for those instead of skill lines to avoid anyone feeling left out of the new system.

So system as a whole should provide apt options for customisation to all kind of player, but the scenario of someone flat out refusing to pick up non-class skills at all, is the scenario that will benefit from it in the future more distant than chapter launch. When? we do not know, we didn't get timeline for that yet.

I hope so. I also do not use many skill lines. I am a linear thinking and not very creative with building a loadout in eso, so I prefer to maximize things like "you get a 2% spell damage increase with each class ability slotted", which means using skill lines, weapon skills etc is of no use to me.

I also like to theme my characters (this is massively imporant to me). So for example I have my frost warden (who sadly is sitting on the shelf because his DPS options are meh). I made a "dark wizard" but he is on the shelf becasue I can not pull any good DPS from him with his build.

I think part of my issue is that I really really dislike bar swapping. I find it painful to play and not reliable. I could manage 40+ keybinds in WOW and make it work, but bar swapping always gets me in a fumble. So, I rely heavily on oakensoul which limits my loadout, so I end up using mostly class abilities.

I really hope you are correct and we see the ability to change up class abilities to help create the character I would like to play.

Or frankly come out with an ice themed class, 2 new ranged magic weapon options, and IMO I would move away from back bar buffing and make weapons truly unique like in new world. I actually like new world bar swappng because the weapons play so vastly different, you actually feel like you are using a war hammer, or a musket, or a bow, they are not just for buffing/debuffing mobs like we see used in ESO.

Thank you for your post. I feel somewhat more excited.
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • Ratharel
    Ratharel
    ✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    No, you're looking at it completely wrong - people will now say that this has absolutely nothing to do with Spellcrafting and they will continue to call for Spellcrafting. ;)

Watch the 2014 presentation of Spellcrafting and tell me honestly that Scribing is even a shadow of an original idea :-)
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    [
    or4jg6l5m2gb.jpg

Now it's time for crossbows.

Not just Crossbows either: Spears, unarmed combat (potential for spellcasting without staves) and of course a staple of the TES series, Spellsword (1 hand and magic).

Drop old gen consoles and make it happen ZoS.
    Edited by aspergalas4 on January 19, 2024 2:26PM
  • Melivar
    Melivar
    ✭✭✭
    Very hard to make a fully informed decision until they give us more information, but this seems like the best way to introduce a spell crafting like system and gradually add some additional power to it thus keeping the balanced approached they had in mind.

I personally dreaded the idea of what most people wanted out of spell crafting but I am intrigued by scribing and some of the things that may come from it.

Sadly we won't fully know until late April when the Chapter hits the PTS and people start to play with it fully.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratharel wrote: »
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    No, you're looking at it completely wrong - people will now say that this has absolutely nothing to do with Spellcrafting and they will continue to call for Spellcrafting. ;)

Watch the 2014 presentation of Spellcrafting and tell me honestly that Scribing is even a shadow of an original idea :-)

Both presentations start out exactly the same, “The Mages Guild hears rumors of a new magic in the world and sends you to investigate….” 😉

Edited to add: honestly, when I compare the two presentations, the original Spellcrafting system seems more clunky and unwieldy while Scribing has a more streamlined interface and possibly less choices in the interest of balance.
    Edited by Elvenheart on January 19, 2024 3:20PM