Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

All parts of the main story arc should be available for casual solo play

DorianDragonRaze
DorianDragonRaze
✭✭✭✭
Many chapters has parts of their main stories inside group dungeons making them unavailable for casual solo play,
which is why part of the money paid for chapters and ESO+ is just wasted in vain for casual players.
This is a very bad thing.

For example, Elsweyr, it is not fun to find out that someone else went to the adventure and obtained those tablets! I loved the chapter trailer and I wanted to be a part of it!

On the other hand, when I play a group dungeon for vet loot, I don't follow the story. It almost never possible. So what's the point?

So many dungeons created in hard work including their quests that are so rarely appreciated. Except, maybe, a very small part of player base who have such luxury of playing DLC dungeons in groups in slow pace paying attention to what's going on.

After a grouping in dungeons dozens of times, I have plenty transmute stones and enough DLC gear, thank you ZOS for making it simpler with reconstruction. I have about 20-30 unused SP on my main character, I appreciate SP rewarded for dungeon quests too. I like the Undaunted system and rewards. My castle is full of trophies.
What I really miss now is the dungeon quests. So many group dungeons I played, they are hand crafted, atmosphere, dialogs, monsters, NPS, books, all of that I can't remember because almost always it's skip-through. I'd give some transmute stones and SP back just for a possibility to play those quests again in the same pace as I can play overland quests.

If @ZOS ( @ZOS_Icy , @ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_Bill etc ) is going to continue practicing this approach, at least add Easy difficulty setting for group dungeons so casual players could enjoy the content alone.

Update:
To clarify, I wouldn't care about drops and pledges in easy mode. All I need when I play casually is to play the story in full, because those DLC stories are very much related to the main chapter. And that has nothing to do with the other feeling of accomplishment when you beat a dungeon in vet mode and get the head piece.

I'd also love if the DLC dungeon quests were repeatable with no additional rewards just for sake of story, so I could return, let's say, to Elden Hollow in story mode and finally enjoy its little story.
Edited by DorianDragonRaze on January 19, 2024 7:50PM
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I got the ESO on my hard drive...

All parts of the main story arc should be available for casual solo play 191 votes

Agree
56%
DeathStalkerBlueRavenIronsideBelegnoleJoeCapricorndannymcgr81b14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOSluggyDarkWombatDysturbedDarcyMardinlinktwodragonb14_ESOKendaricAelorinDarkstorneVriendaKhenarthiBlueVioletLivvyUNSeki 107 votes
Disagree
32%
belial5221_ESOfleetingyouth_ESOCaligamy_ESOStxGedericGlassHalfFullUlfgardeqwaurckflizomicaAlinielCave_CanempeacenoteRagnarok0130DragonnordMrCray78Lumsdenmljad11mumblerfizl101meekmikoTheSpunkyLobster 62 votes
Indifferent
11%
CrazboyDiatonicSmokedpyrotechCaptainVenomWolfkeksNarvuntienDark_Lord_KuroVonnegut2506_Ahala_RaptorRodeoGodGregaBXR_LonestarHapexamendiosZodiarkslayeredward_frigidhandskevkjCooperharleyAnifaasOsUfiMidniteOwl1913 22 votes
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree
    that would be lovely
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don’t understand why people keep making this argument. A story mode for dungeons is a great idea for it resolves one issue with dungeon finder and allows players to bask completely in the beautiful environments created in dungeons. That said, you’re not missing anything by not doing dungeon storylines. It’s not a big part of any main quest. For instance, Coral Aerie is just “oh look Jakarn’s trapped let’s save him against the ascendent order people” and The Cauldron is just “we’re killing daedra” and Scriviner’s Hall is “we’re helping this very specific group of Hermaeus cultists who have nothing to do with the main story”. Maybe it’s because of a lack of story mode that I do not see the connection but there has been no impactful scenes locked in a dungeon. The Chapter acts as context, the dungeon story acts as a backdrop for the fights.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Bobargus
    Bobargus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    Not just group dungeons, everything should be soloable.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    The dungeons have been related to the year’s story but not an essential part, more like a related side-story. And normal dungeons are very accessible for casual players.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agree
    Yeah, a story mode for dungeons would make sense. In return zos should also add difficulty options to overland content.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    It's an MMO,it's meant to be played in groups.It keeps the game alive.The game would look dead if most everyone played solo.There's no challenge if everything is easy peasy.With new group finder thing,make a group for story mode,solves issue.Also,most things are soloable on normal.I'm casual,and group when I need to to finish something.I'm also no where near meta,so gear/skills/etc is no excuse whey you can't complete most things.It won't kill you to group for 5-10 minutes with others.
    Edited by belial5221_ESO on January 18, 2024 5:46PM
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agree
    A story mode to enjoy and explore dungeons would be ideal. Although I have no problem doing the normal modes personally, I fully realize that this kind of group content is not enjoyed by everyone, and others may feel too much pressure to enjoy the story by being in a group. I think anything that helps others play the game in a way that would be enjoyable to them is a good thing, so there's a full yes from me. No need to make people play the same way I do.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m not that concerned about how dungeons fit into wider arcs. Some dungeons and trials are interesting by themselves. What prevents us from following those stories isn’t the difficulty so much as the pace of play.

For example, I am not interested in Necrom’s main quest, but I’m a little curious about what in Oblivion was going on at Bal Sunnar.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many chapters has parts of their main stories inside group dungeons making them unavailable for casual solo play,

Do you mean the Q1 dungeon dlc? They give a few more details to the overall story, but the Q2 chapter is perfectly understandable without playing them.

That said, I'm all for a story-mode for dungeons (and if it's somehow possible, also for trials). I'm generally in favor of having different difficulty options throughout the game, so vet overland would also be appreciated.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobargus wrote: »
    Not just group dungeons, everything should be soloable.

No.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1) Dungeon stories really don't add much to the Chapter's story itself. They're mostly there to re-introduce whomever is the returning character for the story. Any revelations or story beats the dungeon quest covers is usually recounted to the player in the first chapter quest anyways.

2) Normal dungeons (yes, even DLC dungeons) are already fairly "easy" in that they usually lack true one-shot mechanics. No, not every player is able to solo them, but if you think you can't solo them, I urge you to put together a build and try - with just a little bit of knowledge and the right gear (oakensoul or pale order), 90% of normal content in this game can be soloed with relative ease. Saying "well I'm a casual so that's way too hard for me" is a bad outlook. If you try and you're getting blown up too quickly, change your gear or skill layout. Watch a video on someone soloing the dungeon to see what they do. Soloing normal dungeons is not some unobtainable goal that more casual players often make it out to be. Start with dungeons like Fungal Grotto and work your way up as you feel more comfortable. Many normal dungeons are even easier than solo arenas.

3) If you've tried and tried and adjusted your build and tried and tried again, but still can't solo it, then you're just going to have to group up. It's an MMO. They want players to engage with each other - it drives playtime up. Join a casual guild with like-minded individuals. There are plenty of guilds out there that do "story runs" of content.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on January 18, 2024 6:16PM
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    It's an MMO,it's meant to be played in groups.It keeps the game alive.The game would look dead if most everyone played solo.There's no challenge if everything is easy peasy.With new group finder thing,make a group for story mode,solves issue.Also,most things are soloable on normal.I'm casual,and group when I need to to finish something.I'm also no where near meta,so gear/skills/etc is no excuse whey you can't complete most things.It won't kill you to group for 5-10 minutes with others.

The problem with this argument is that it completely ignores the reality of how people actually play. Story mode is not mutually exclusive with continuing to do group content, the goals are just different. 99% of the time if you are using group finder, you will end up with folks who want to rush through and not do the quest at all, much less take the time to listen to dialogue and poke around. (Yes, I'm aware you can do groups with people you know, I've only heard that suggestion 75 million times, and it is still not actually helpful advice for everyone.)

If you have story mode, you can take your time and go through on your own, and then at other times, still go through and play in groups. I suspect a pretty substantial percentage of players would do just that. I, personally, would love to go through each dungeon the first time in easy or story mode by myself, and then return to it to play through with groups.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most group dungeons can be completed solo on normal mode, except those that require activation of special mechanics, but there are very few of those, from what I understand. I haven't completed most group dungeons because I don't find them necessary; I don't feel like I'm losing anything without doing them.

However, having a 'story mode' I'm all for. Or they can do like FFXIV and allow us to use three companions to make up the difference.
    CP: 1880 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    I do think it is a good idea but with a couple caveats:

1). No dungeon set gear drops. In story mode, dungeon would drop same gear as the overland zone the dungeon entrance is in. So Scrivener's Hall would drop Rift gear, and Bal Sunnar would drop Stonefalls gear, and so on.
    2). Cannot satisfy requirements of a pledge quest.

I am fine with more casual players seeing the dungeon and getting to take their time with story. I just don't want to hurt the dungeon finder or group finder by making content intended for groups too rewarding when run solo.

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

1). No dungeon set gear drops. In story mode, dungeon would drop same gear as the overland zone the dungeon entrance is in. So Scrivener's Hall would drop Rift gear, and Bal Sunnar would drop Stonefalls gear, and so on.

I am fine with more casual players seeing the dungeon and getting to take their time with story. I just don't want to hurt the dungeon finder or group finder by making content intended for groups too rewarding when run solo.

I agree, except that I also don't believe that people who enjoy grouping are suddenly going to run solo because they can get the same rewards. People that group, do so because they enjoy playing with others, solo players don't.
    CP: 1880 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    I don’t understand why people keep making this argument. A story mode for dungeons is a great idea for it resolves one issue with dungeon finder and allows players to bask completely in the beautiful environments created in dungeons. That said, you’re not missing anything by not doing dungeon storylines. It’s not a big part of any main quest. For instance, Coral Aerie is just “oh look Jakarn’s trapped let’s save him against the ascendent order people” and The Cauldron is just “we’re killing daedra” and Scriviner’s Hall is “we’re helping this very specific group of Hermaeus cultists who have nothing to do with the main story”. Maybe it’s because of a lack of story mode that I do not see the connection but there has been no impactful scenes locked in a dungeon. The Chapter acts as context, the dungeon story acts as a backdrop for the fights.

yeah, the connection is usually minimal at best

its more obvious with dungeons such as black drake villa
    the entire point of the quest in there is you run into eveli and help her to find that book before the true flame guys burn everything

at the beginning of the blackwood story is where she reveals that she obtained a book and you learn what it actually is
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DorianDragonRaze
    DorianDragonRaze
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree

I wouldn't care about drops and pledges in easy mode. All I need when I play casually is to play the story in full, because those DLC stories are very much related to the main chapter.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agree

I wouldn't mind if story mode drops dungeon sets, as almost all of them are already obtainable solo quite easily for most of us.

I agree tho, that group-related rewards (key, transmutes, monster helmet) shouldn't be obtainable in story mode. People ask for this to experience the quest (at least they say so), not to get an easy mode for farming purposes.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    The 2 dungeons and their posterior DLC zone should be included as part of chapter upgrades.

About the OP poll, I dislike they just announced another 2 dungeons for the upcoming chapter. The worst thing? I will never get to do them because I play solo and when I try to find people to do the current dungeons they mostly quit when the party die to the first enemies we encounter (on normal, I don't find people wanting to do veteran). So yeah, I want to be able to solo them like I do when I explore the zones and their dungeons. Perhaps the veteran version difficulty could be reduced to like Arc 2 on Endless Archive when playing solo or with my companion. I think the player base will play this game a lot more if those changes were implemented.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one thinking the question makes no sense? The “main story” of each chapter has never required you to go into Group dungeons. Especially not DLC ones that are separate purchases. The closest we have come to this is the latest companions’ personal quests involving Public dungeons, which are all solo material.

The DLC’s that are just Group dungeons do not have a “main story” but usually add to the background of that year’s chapter. They are there to add the multiplayer level on top of the single-player level of the base chapter.
  • DorianDragonRaze
    DorianDragonRaze
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    ghastley wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking the question makes no sense? The “main story” of each chapter has never required you to go into Group dungeons. Especially not DLC ones that are separate purchases. The closest we have come to this is the latest companions’ personal quests involving Public dungeons, which are all solo material.

The DLC’s that are just Group dungeons do not have a “main story” but usually add to the background of that year’s chapter. They are there to add the multiplayer level on top of the single-player level of the base chapter.

The sense is there's a big value for many players in playing through those background stories which provides full experience.
  • DorianDragonRaze
    DorianDragonRaze
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    The dungeons have been related to the year’s story but not an essential part, more like a related side-story. And normal dungeons are very accessible for casual players.

"Not essential" is e very relative thing you know. For me, pvp is not essential.
  • DorianDragonRaze
    DorianDragonRaze
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    3) If you've tried and tried and adjusted your build and tried and tried again, but still can't solo it, then you're just going to have to group up.

It's like, I came to a movie 30 minutes late then I try again and I'm still late because of traffic, so I have to go there again, then I just read about it or go to my friend place near the movie theater and we go there together in time.

I just don't have time for that. I purchase an RPG chapter and I should be eligible to experience its RP part in full in the way that is convenient to me.

Edited by DorianDragonRaze on January 18, 2024 10:07PM
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    This is an MMO. Stuff sometimes requires more than one person to complete the task.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • DorianDragonRaze
    DorianDragonRaze
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    This is an MMO. Stuff sometimes requires more than one person to complete the task.

It does not have to be that way.
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    Once again, a part of the story will be told via dlc dungeons. Sigh.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dungeons have so little story that I honestly don't know why people complain so much about them not being soloable.

They're fun. But the story content is literally 3 quotes and a handshake.
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    This Chapter I feel like they're more important because we don't know anything about Ithelia.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AVaelham wrote: »
    This Chapter I feel like they're more important because we don't know anything about Ithelia.

Even if you do the dungeons you still won't know anything about Ithelia, I can guarantee that.
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    Agree but an easy mode for dungeons wouldn't help, it'd need to be solo. I wish they'd go back to having dungeons be their own self contained 'stories' (That nobody listens to cus of the gogogo mentality of the community).
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.