Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

ESO needs to sever ties with all consoles that aren't current gen or hey all together if you ask me.

TheMessengerOfDeath
I feel like we can all agree the game is old but when do we stop suffering not getting this or that feature, new skill line, class ect. Because we are being limited and restrictive to what can and can't be done due to consoles. Consoles have held back the gaming industry since their inception. Either they need to add cross platform progression and let consoles players move over their data to new consoles. Or either they need to separate console/pc content for eso. They can still release new chapters for consoles but if they can't support new modes, classes, skill lines, ect then so be it. Force them to upgrade or either get a pc and rip that part of the chapter out for consoles that can't support new content and give us PC players the new features.

How long do we have to suffer hearing eso can't do this or that due to hardware limitations ?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on January 18, 2024 11:23PM
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to do what Rockstar did with GTA Online. GTA V came out on PS3. When PS4 came out, Rockstar gave a drop-dead date for PS3 users to know when they would no longer be supported. Transferring your account from one platform to another was not a problem (nor would it be here, as there were not issues going from PS4 to PS5)

Yeah but I have a guess that GTA have just a little bit larger player base then Eso lol
    Edited by XSTRONG on January 17, 2024 8:32PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real issue imho is Xbox S. Larian had a problem with it with BG3, so even if they would drop older Xbox & PS4, there is still Xbox S which is more or less PS4 equivalent. And MS owns ESO now, so I can not imagine them droping support for Xbox S and making the game to work only on Xbox X. It is against their policy. So, we actually have to wait another like 7 years for the next gen to appear & this gen to be discontinued. :neutral:
  • TheMessengerOfDeath
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    Yet when you get on a game like Battlefield even on an old day one Xbox One, you can support fully destructible maps and accurate bullet tracing, with over a hundred players all moving about in a game, with all unique build setups individualized per player, with thousands of things going off at once.

How about we take a breather here and perhaps consider that it’s the engine with which ESO is ran that is the problem, not gaming consoles in general.

If anything, a Series X is completely up to par with modern gaming PCs, so if that cheeky jab at all consoles wasn’t part of your OP, you might have been able to at least convince me of a need to drop old-gen consoles.

I mean hey, Destiny did it with Taken King, as it didn’t release for Xbox 360, completely cutting off that platform from future updates, yet allowing players to continue playing their version of the game without it.

I agree the engine is wack and out dated but we have better chances of cutting off old consoles than them doing the work required to put eso on another engine.
    Edited by TheMessengerOfDeath on January 17, 2024 8:46PM
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is arguably one of the more pressing concerns ZoS needs to address because you are 100% correct and the console support at the expense of PC development is taking its toll on the game's longevity and undermining its ability to compete with its competitors. And depriving the playerbase of features they should of had years ago.

I agree that the phasing out of PS4 is long overdue. However, the game is far from reaching the full capabilities of the PS5. PS5 isn’t holding any development back. While it may not measure up to the MOST advanced PC graphical capabilities, it still has an incredible capability for ESO to finally shed dead weight and utilize its full power.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    XSTRONG wrote: »
    They need to do what Rockstar did with GTA Online. GTA V came out on PS3. When PS4 came out, Rockstar gave a drop-dead date for PS3 users to know when they would no longer be supported. Transferring your account from one platform to another was not a problem (nor would it be here, as there were not issues going from PS4 to PS5)

Yeah but I have a guess that GTA have just a little bit larger player base then Eso lol

Ha, maybe a smidge. But I can tell you that it did hasten my need to buy a PS4. ESO definitely isn't lighting any fires under players to upgrade their console
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is arguably one of the more pressing concerns ZoS needs to address because you are 100% correct and the console support at the expense of PC development is taking its toll on the game's longevity and undermining its ability to compete with its competitors. And depriving the playerbase of features they should of had years ago.

I agree that the phasing out of PS4 is long overdue. However, the game is far from reaching the full capabilities of the PS5. PS5 isn’t holding any development back. While it may not measure up to the MOST advanced PC graphical capabilities, it still has an incredible capability for ESO to finally shed dead weight and utilize its full power.

That may be, I am all for any compromise that simply allows the developers to expand the game in ways they currently seem to be unable to thanks to older hardware limitations. I am referring of course to new weapon types, skill trees separate from classes etc. The game needs the extra freedom to grow its capabilities. It will continue its decline and fail to attract new and retain existing players otherwise.
    Edited by aspergalas4 on January 17, 2024 10:26PM
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    <snip>

In their defence ESO was originally a PC exclusive, we've essentially had to compromise on content to accommodate a demographic being added on often inferior hardware solely to maximise profits. If it were for the players benefit it would be cross platform after all.

<snipped removed quote>
    Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on January 18, 2024 11:16PM
  • w002exp
    w002exp
    ✭✭✭
    There has to be a business case for this. If 30% of their ESO+ subscribers are on legacy consoles, they are 100% not going to end support for it. I assure you somewhere in ZoS, somebody has done the feasibility study to determine if new content features by ending legacy console support would drive higher user participation than just continuing support on legacy consoles, and the math continues to support legacy consoles.
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    BuffNukem wrote: »

In their defence ESO was originally a PC exclusive, we've essentially had to compromise on content to accommodate a demographic being added on often inferior hardware solely to maximise profits. If it were for the players benefit it would be cross platform after all.

ESO was built from day 1 of development to be both a PC and a Console game. It was never a PC Exclusive game. 2014 was just a glorified PTS cycle for the all-platform launch in 2015.

I was unaware, and I was a beta tester. True or not that doesn't refute the point being made regarding the hardware limitations and its effects on the feasibility of development of more complex or intensive systems and features for the game.
    Edited by aspergalas4 on January 17, 2024 10:44PM
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, love my ps4 but its just slow compared to my ps5. Its just takes a while to load everything, on the ps5, I blink and its loaded already.
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    w002exp wrote: »
    There has to be a business case for this. If 30% of their ESO+ subscribers are on legacy consoles, they are 100% not going to end support for it. I assure you somewhere in ZoS, somebody has done the feasibility study to determine if new content features by ending legacy console support would drive higher user participation than just continuing support on legacy consoles, and the math continues to support legacy consoles.

I don't think they would spend the resources on such a study to be honest, because participation in the content isn't the objective. Participation in the crown store is. They don't need players to actively play the game's content to make money after all, regrettably. Just subscribe and buy things. Which probably explains the sluggishness in addressing a lot of the games problems.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao
    PvP needs more love.
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not as simple as "we need to drop all support for consoles."

I 100% agree that we need to drop support for last generation consoles (PS4 & Xbox One) along with lower tier PCs (raising minimum requirements) at some point; and some point relatively soon that is. But from a business standpoint, this simply won't be feasible until a certain % of the console playerbase is showing via hard data that they are playing & spending a majority of their time on those new consoles plain and simple.

Trust me - I'm all for a graphics & engine update (textures, animations, you name it). But, if we're being realistic here, that won't happen until then. There may be a few vocal console players in this post and on the forums, but ZOS absolutely is going to do this at some point to continue to innovate & update the game. It's just going to be a matter of when & frankly, they're the only ones that have the data to know.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I don't think they should ditch the previous gen versions, I do think that the version for the PC and the current consoles should not be held back by the XB1 and PS4.

And I'm not necessarily talking graphics, but things like memory and ram, less asset duplication, things like that.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No reason to be that dramatic. Simply make trials and Cyrodil only for newer systems. Yes this will hit PC to
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    No reason to be that dramatic. Simply make trials and Cyrodil only for newer systems. Yes this will hit PC to

Heh. I'm upgrading to a new gaming rig (eventually, when I have time to think about it - right now it's sitting in the basement still in the box) - and I don't give 2 hoots about trials and Cyro.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭
    lillybit wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »
    lillybit wrote: »
    I feel like we can all agree the game is old but when do we stop suffering not getting this or that feature, new skill line, class ect. Because we are being limited and restrictive to what can and can't be done due to consoles. Consoles have held back the gaming industry since their inception. Either they need to add cross platform progression and let consoles players move over their data to new consoles. Or either they need to separate console/pc content for eso. They can still release new chapters for consoles but if they can't support new modes, classes, skill lines, ect then so be it. Force them to upgrade or either get a pc and rip that part of the chapter out for consoles that can't support new content and give us PC players the new features.

How long do we have to suffer hearing eso can't do this or that due to hardware limitations ?

This whole post equates to how to say you’re a PC elitist without actually saying your PC elitist.

I bet there would be an outcry if zos announced eso would no longer run on pcs older than 2 years, which is pretty much the same thing. But people not being able to afford a new pc is not my problem
    (Also upgrading a PC is more hassle and can be more expensive than buying a new console. You can't just walk into a shop and buy the new verison of what you've already got...they might tell you that you can, but then you're getting what they want to sell you, not necessarily the best machine for you.)

That's why I gave up building computers and stuck with my playstation, at some point we all just want an easy life :D

Yep...instead of upgrading my PC I'm probably just going to attach a Mouse and Keyboard to the upcoming Xbox series X pro...I no longer use enterprise software so all I need is to surf the web and play games.

A simple life is best.

Edited by Warhawke_80 on January 18, 2024 2:18AM
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
This discussion has been closed.