Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

A constructive meditation on in-game rewards

Rishikesa108
Rishikesa108
✭✭✭✭✭
I'd like to take stock of the rewards in this game and why to me they often appear undesirable, insufficient, or sometimes even completely useless.
Let's give some examples.
In this month, many veteran players have to almost completely give up on getting the daily reward, because almost only riding lessons are offered, completely unusable for those who have already maxed out their riding skills.
In Infinite Archive, players who have already finished their collections of fragments still see completely useless fragments arrive, because they cannot be sold, used or transformed, they can only be destroyed so that they do not occupy one or more slots without purpose.
In Infinite Archive Master Malkhest rewards you with a crate of Fortunes and a Maligraphic Ichor, but when you finish the collection he gives you another crate containing a random piece of gear, not curated. Really useless, very useless!!!
In all dungeons, trials, arenas, the only thing worth having the reward for are the pieces of gear (sometimes Crafting Motifs arrive, the value of which varies greatly from type to type and are often of little value if you have already finished the collections). This can be used both for those pieces of gear that you actually need to face the challenges, and to complete the so-called sticker book. Once you have achieved these results, I find no other value in the rewards offered.
During the events we are faced with two different scenarios: some items are inflated, to the point that they then have to be thrown away (sometimes they don't even add up, such as the Imperial Charity Writs and similar); some items on the other hand are given with punitive RNG, that is, very few items drop, so it becomes difficult to obtain them and whoever obtains them can sell them at very high prices, to the regret of those who are unable to obtain them, despite the effort used. In fact, this game often does not reward the effort, but rather leaves the player's satisfaction up to his good or bad luck. Often, too often.
The Impresario offers a few new items that can be purchased with event tickets. If a player has diligently participated in all previous events and does not need to recover old items, very often he does not know how to spend the event tickets and necessarily has to purchase items that he would not have wanted to purchase, but is forced to (Impresario's Group Repair Kit or other ). During the last event, 60 event tickets could be earned, but only a few were needed to purchase the new items, which were the Morningstar Frostwear Style Pages in the bound version, the same ones that could be obtained in the event chests in the tradable version. Personally I had to sell all the ones obtained in the chests, buy the bound ones from the Impresario to spend the tickets and then in any case I had many tickets left over, which I had to spend to buy items I didn't really want. How many times has ZOS been asked in vain to include some pieces of furnishings in the Impresario's choices, or transmute crystals for those who need them, or rare style materials... but nothing has ever been done.
I know games where sometimes players also find a mount, or a non-combat pet, or a costume in the chests at the end of dungeons or trials. The prize is obviously random, and its value is in any case commensurate with the difficulty of the fight. But they are things that encourage players to frequent dungeons and trials.
This game has fewer and fewer players, or at least fewer and fewer players who participate in this type of activity, I believe it is due to the lack of stimuli, the poor rewards, certainly not attractive after a certain point.
I am very fond of this game, so I won't be the type of player who goes away, but in the years in which I have frequented Tamriel I have seen many players go away, not very attracted to a game that requires commitment but does not adequately reward the player. I'm sorry to see this.
I hope that something changes in the near future. I hope that someone will take into consideration this reflection of mine, which is not intended to be a criticism as an end in itself, but rather constructive and open to a satisfying future for ESO and its players.
Sorry for my poor english guys :-(
Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree. I got all the tickets before Jan 1 and it was not worth it to me to make the effort to get more, so I stopped.

I am happy others got the chance to catch up but I would have continued doing the dailies if I had something to earn that I really wanted, like furnishings.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• miloflipper
    miloflipper
    Soul Shriven
    The daily rewards for me are almost always useful, this month though they are very boring and particularly stingy. One riding lesson is not generous when it takes 60 per category. I would have liked to see only three days of 10 lessons in each category instead?

Rewards in general need looking at again, I go through dungeons and events getting tons of items but 99% of it is useless so I end up vendoring it or deconstructing it.

It might help Devs to put a tracker on loot and see what people do with it and get rid of those items which are not useful to anyone?
    All rights reserved.
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for my poor english guys :-(
    Your English is great! In fact better than many whose native language is English :D

Agree with your post. Rewards could use an adjustment.

CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean, when I have my 12 tickets and nothing to buy with it, I just stop taking part in the event stuff.
    Which is a thing you can do.
    And especially welcome during an event like New Life when a substantial part of the player base are away or can't play for some time because they're doing real-life stuff.
    Which is a thing that exists.
    Edited by Varana on January 13, 2024 1:06AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Life is a catch-up event that lets people get the things they missed throughout the year. So, I think it should remain that way.

But, otherwise, I agree I'd like to some new rewards in older content.
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    New Life is a catch-up event that lets people get the things they missed throughout the year. So, I think it should remain that way.

I talked about "adding" some choices to the Impresario's menu, not replacing what's already there.
    This shouldn't offend or displease anyone :-)
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I've got the Dawnwood indrik mount on 3 PC EU accounts and 1 PC NA account this quarter, I'll be looking for something to spend tickets on (can just about gurarantee I'm not going to care about the coming year's "morphables" any more than I did those of the last two years).

I would LOVE to see some purple and gold furnishing plans. Failing that, some rarer furnishings themselves....
    Edited by TaSheen on January 13, 2024 3:00AM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • dcrush
    dcrush
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Once I've got the Dawnwood indrik mount on 3 PC EU accounts and 1 PC NA account this quarter, I'll be looking for something to spend tickets on (can just about gurarantee I'm not going to care about the coming year's "morphables" any more than I did those of the last two years).

I would LOVE to see some purple and gold furnishing plans. Failing that, some rarer furnishings themselves....

A few years ago both Summerset and Imperial City events had furnishings you could buy with tickets. Even a Blackwood event if I remember correctly. I wonder why they stopped doing that.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dcrush wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »

A few years ago both Summerset and Imperial City events had furnishings you could buy with tickets. Even a Blackwood event if I remember correctly. I wonder why they stopped doing that.

I do too.... The only thing that's kept me doing events is the indriks, but I'm just about full with the ones I've wanted. So.... now what?

I mean, I can give up most of the events. Even Jesters. But not Jubilee or New Life. Well, we'll see what happens!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I talked about "adding" some choices to the Impresario's menu, not replacing what's already there.

It does. Because the whole point of catching up is you don't need to buy anything new. Currently it's actually pretty tight to be able to the buy things from the other events AND the morphing collectables, but the catch-up makes it work.

Having a catch-up event let's people who are diligent about getting tickets get all of the morphs and new items from events such as furniture in some events.

It could work if it's just permanent available items of the same level of quality as the group repair kits and things of that nature. But, I don't think that would satisfy those looking for things like themed furniture.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 13, 2024 5:47AM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    See this topic come up a lot. Rewards. Kind of on the fence about it personally. Fine with the current system. Not against anything being added to the game at all, but not really needed for me personally. Play ESO because I enjoy it. We have so many emotes, mount, skins etc. that what is another one going to do besides generally be not used. Know I am in the minority here, just my 2 cents.

As far as the Impresario is concerned, the only thing I would like to see added is the ability to buy something for one tickets. Sometimes the cheapest thing is 2 tickets.

Stay safe :)
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It does. Because the whole point of catching up is you don't need to buy anything new. Currently it's actually pretty tight to be able to the buy things from the other events AND the morphing collectables, but the catch-up makes it work.

Having a catch-up event let's people who are diligent about getting tickets get all of the morphs and new items from events such as furniture in some events.

It could work if it's just permanent available items of the same level of quality as the group repair kits and things of that nature. But, I don't think that would satisfy those looking for things like themed furniture.

I'm amazed to read things like this!!! Would adding two or three pieces of furnishings to the Impresario's choices prevent someone from purchasing old items that he was previously unable to purchase? Impossible ! It would simply give a choice even to those who have already diligently purchased everything else previously. Would a few lanterns, a few flowers or trees... prevent the completion of the collections?
    I'm not the only one who can't spend all the event tickets due to lack of choices. Once you're done morphing indriks... there's nothing left to buy. I thought of useful things to add, not new exclusive pieces. Useful as 1) furnishings 2) rare style materials 3) dreugh wax, rosin, tempering alloy. These are just examples.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not the only one who can't spend all the event tickets due to lack of choices. Once you're done morphing indriks... there's nothing left to buy. I thought of useful things to add, not new exclusive pieces. Useful as 1) furnishings 2) rare style materials 3) dreugh wax, rosin, tempering alloy. These are just examples.

Yeah, I did not have to choose this year but if they added much more items, I probably would. Right now you can get everything even if you take a couple of days for the holidays. They severely limit our ability to stock up tickets. I have all the morphing fragments but I ended up with only 9 extra tickets because I bought stuff beyond just the morphs throughout the year. So, when I came into New Life this year there was some significant catch-up I needed to do. I did miss some days for the holidays too.

I'd okay be with little, permanent items like the group repair kit. But, I'd be pretty annoyed if New Life didn't remain a way to catch up because it allows for you to purchase other things throughout the whole rest of the year.

Edit: For example, to illustrate what I mean about catching up. This was on offer for the witch festival. I was able to buy these without worrying about it because I knew that I could catch up during New Life, so didn't need to worry about getting morphs. New Life is the last event of the year so it's much easier to budget accordingly when you know ahead of time you won't need tickets for new New Life exclusive things during that event.
    Assorted Spooky Witches festival-themed Furnishings
    Webs, Cone furnishing
    Hollowjack Lantern, Ouroboros furnishing
    Specimen Jar, Spare Brain furnishing
    Ruby Candlefly Gathering furnishing
    Vampiric Lamp, Azure Tall furnishing
    Vampiric Lightpost, Azure Single furnishing
    Vampiric Container, Yellow Liquid furnishing

And again, I'm not opposed to all rewards. Just stuff like a New Life themed furniture. Permanent items similar to the group repair kits would be alright by me.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 13, 2024 1:07PM
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I did not have to choose this year but if they added much more items, I probably would. Right now you can get everything even if you take a couple of days for the holidays. They severely limit our ability to stock up tickets. I have all the morphing fragments but I ended up with only 9 extra tickets because I bought stuff beyond just the morphs throughout the year. So, when I came into New Life this year there was some significant catch-up I needed to do. I did miss some days for the holidays too.

I'd okay be with little, permanent items like the group repair kit. But, I'd be pretty annoyed if New Life didn't remain a way to catch up because it allows for you to purchase other things throughout the whole rest of the year.

Edit: For example, to illustrate what I mean about catching up. This was on offer for the witch festival. I was able to buy these without worrying about it because I knew that I could catch up during New Life, so didn't need to worry about getting morphs. New Life is the last event of the year so it's much easier to budget accordingly when you know ahead of time you won't need tickets for new New Life exclusive things during that event.
    Webs, Cone furnishing

And again, I'm not opposed to all rewards. Just stuff like a New Life themed furniture. Permanent items similar to the group repair kits would be alright by me.

What is the problem if you have to choose? Other people can not get some furnishings because you don't want to choose between a furnishing and a catch-up item? You could still buy your catch-up item, and let others get their furnishings or materials or other stuff. Couldn't they?
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Webs, Cone furnishing

What is the problem if you have to choose? Other people can not get some furnishings because you don't want to choose between a furnishing and a catch-up item? You could still buy your catch-up item, and let others get their furnishings or materials or other stuff. Couldn't they?

It's the FOMO thing I think.... "Gotta have it all" but not enough tickets - as opposed to, "well, I don't have to have everything, I'd better get the morph first" or the indrik, etc.

I'm not fussed about FOMO - I wasn't, even when I thought the indriks were done forever. I know that games use FOMO (to excess really) because they assume a basic lack of maturity in their game populations. I just refuse to be played like that.

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to answer your question, the problem with choosing in this case is how long items take to cycle back (if they ever do at all). And there's not a regular time span. For example, in the Murkmire event we got the voriplasm and the grave stake memento. The voriplasm has since returned in an event. The grave stake never did. It took a long time for the Indriks to come back as well.

Permanent items ensure that people can get all of the fomo stuff if they participated that year, while still giving something to buy for those who don't need to catch-up.

Whereas event-themed temporary items means people have to choose which they want and which they don't.

It's not the end of the world if they do decide to change it.

But, to me personally, part of the fun of participating in every event for the year is being able to collect all the event things. I enjoy having complete collections of stuff. If I could no longer get it all by fully participating, the events would feel much less rewarding. And I would stop doing them as often.

But I'll digress here as I don't want to make the thread just about New Life. I agree with your overall point that the game needs to be more rewarding. I just wanted to answer your question.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 13, 2024 3:48PM
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a veteran player and I'm glad for the riding lessons. I stockpile them whenever they drop just in case I make a new toon (and I rarely make new toons), which has proven quite handy for my necro and arcanist. For a long time the daily rewards were more repetitive, with mostly the same stuff offered every month. Lately, though, the devs have been adding some variety, hence last month's crates or the riding lessons now. That looks like an improvement to me.

My issue with rewards in this game isn't exactly about their quality, but the way to obtain them. With some exceptions, too much depends on RNGeesus in this game. I know leaving some rewards to chance keeps people engaged in the hunt, but too much and it becomes counterproductive. I had stopped bothering about the Ancient Daedric motif until Deadlands maps showed up on sale at the Archive. I'm not in any hurry to finish Necrom's mythics because they involve farming dungeons, which tends to be so tiresome as to make me start to dislike a previously enjoyable dungeon. Necrom treasure maps? Not a single lead dropped during the Necrom event, in part because despite my grabbing dozens of event coffers, not many maps dropped. I'm close to not even caring anymore about the antiquity leads that drop from those maps.

This is why I'm fond of the maligraphic horse from the Archive: do 50 dailies and you get it. If you're lucky, you may get it sooner, but do the 50 and it's yours. Or the porter scamp from Moongrave Fane: beat it on vet and you get a backpacking buddy. Further examples: do enough stuff in Cyrodiil or Imperial City and you can have some cool motifs, style pages and even a pet.

Sometimes I switch to another game just to be free of RNGeesus's unforgiving gaze. And then I promptly stub my toe on the table and remember there's no escaping the all-seeing.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Lags
    Lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im less concerned about the daily rewards and more concerned about rewards over all. The game has always had issues with in game rewards and zos has been told many times. Body markings, face markings, and mementos, are terrible rewards. They need to add in more rewards, across the whole game, at every level of play. Whether its completing everything a zone, or master angler, or former emp, or some veteran non dlc dungeons, or other achievements.

The lack of mounts, costumes, polymorphs, and other things, just feels terrible. Especially things you could potentially farm and sell. Where other games may have mounts, or pets, or outfits, you could get a rare drop for, eso has furnishing plans. Theres a couple things here and there, but over all the rewards in the game feel so terrible.

They did a decent job with endless archive, but its not enough. The rest of the game needs attention. Just doing it with some of the new dlcs does not solve the issue. How you can overlook rewarding a mount for something like former emp or master angler is beyond me. Sure some things have mounts, or the clockwork polymorph for example, but they are few and far between and only at the highest level of pve. It may not be out of my reach but i can acknowledge that its out of the reach of many players. Especially considering the fact that zos has decided to try and push out end game players in favor of a revolving door of casual players.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would have liked the riding lesson to gave been one day for each type and tradable. Just wasted stuff for me.
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lags wrote: »
    im less concerned about the daily rewards and more concerned about rewards over all. The game has always had issues with in game rewards and zos has been told many times. Body markings, face markings, and mementos, are terrible rewards. They need to add in more rewards, across the whole game, at every level of play. Whether its completing everything a zone, or master angler, or former emp, or some veteran non dlc dungeons, or other achievements.

The lack of mounts, costumes, polymorphs, and other things, just feels terrible. Especially things you could potentially farm and sell. Where other games may have mounts, or pets, or outfits, you could get a rare drop for, eso has furnishing plans. Theres a couple things here and there, but over all the rewards in the game feel so terrible.

They did a decent job with endless archive, but its not enough. The rest of the game needs attention. Just doing it with some of the new dlcs does not solve the issue. How you can overlook rewarding a mount for something like former emp or master angler is beyond me. Sure some things have mounts, or the clockwork polymorph for example, but they are few and far between and only at the highest level of pve. It may not be out of my reach but i can acknowledge that its out of the reach of many players. Especially considering the fact that zos has decided to try and push out end game players in favor of a revolving door of casual players.

Exactly what I mean with my post. I have given different types of examples, but the "fil rouge" is the lack of satisfactory rewards, capable of attracting players. I don't understand why ZOS doesn't worry about players fleeing... there are far fewer players now than when I started playing! I've seen a lot of good players leave... it's really a pity.
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree, OP. I said something similar here in a discussion regarding leads: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8024938/#Comment_8024938

Yes, it feels, sometimes, like there is a mismatch between what different groups of players actually do and enjoy in the game, vs the rewards offered.

For example, I think it's fine if players who enjoy combat grind like in high levels of IA get gold furnishing plans or rare items and then sell them on the traders if they're not interested in housing. It creates a nice exchange: we each do what we like and trade for what we need.

But in other cases they offer bound rewards for content where the people who do it at a high level likely don't care about those items (e.g. a trifecta-runner who maybe visits their house once or twice to access storage gets a furnishing they will put down and never look at) while the people who do want those (builders spend most of their time creating in housing, who'd use that item repeatedly) are less likely to enjoy the content enough to want to grind it repeatedly at a high level.

It feels like they try to force you to try it via those locked rewards. Like, I don't PVP or play ToT; the associated furnishings don't exist for me, I won't spend time on something I absolutely hate. But Idk, maybe their data shows that tactic really works for a lot of players.
    Edited by MoonPile on January 15, 2024 9:06PM
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoonPile wrote: »
    Agree, OP. I said something similar here in a discussion regarding leads: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8024938/#Comment_8024938

Yes, it feels, sometimes, like there is a mismatch between what different groups of players actually do and enjoy in the game, vs the rewards offered.

For example, I think it's fine if players who enjoy combat grind like in high levels of IA get gold furnishing plans or rare items and then sell them on the traders if they're not interested in housing. It creates a nice exchange: we each do what we like and trade for what we need.

But in other cases they offer bound rewards for content where the people who do it at a high level likely don't care about those items (e.g. a trifecta-runner who maybe visits their house once or twice to access storage gets a furnishing they will put down and never look at) while the people who do want those (builders spend most of their time creating in housing, who'd use that item repeatedly) are less likely to enjoy the content enough to want to grind it repeatedly at a high level.

It feels like they try to force you to try it via those locked rewards. Like, I don't PVP or play ToT; the associated furnishings don't exist for me, I won't spend time on something I absolutely hate. But Idk, maybe their data shows that tactic really works for a lot of players.

ZOS wants the player to put a little effort into everything. Eclecticism is rewarded, not those who exclude parts of the game. I can understand this... but some crafting motifs as a reward cannot replace the satisfaction of finding a mount as the final reward of a dungeon or trial! In the end, what do you need the crafting motif for? collecting? crafting? selling? Collectors don't have an easy life in ESO at all. See for example the Eidetic Memory: collecting all the books is literally impossible, because some don't even exist in the game (6 to be precise) and when ZOS fixes some, it then bugs others. It's always been like this. There is a giant thread of many pages on EM, but nothing is ever done to satisfy collectors. But strangely the rewards are often Crafting Motifs... which is another form of collecting.
    Edited by Rishikesa108 on January 16, 2024 5:02AM