Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Set Bonuses. Rebalancing.

MindOfTheSwarm
MindOfTheSwarm
✭✭✭✭✭
A lot of sets out there need some adjustment in my opinion. If you could just choose one 5 piece bonus what would it be and how would you suggest it be changed?
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine.

Frozen Watcher:
    While you have a Frost ability with a duration active, you summon a blizzard around you, inflicting 496 Frost Damage every 1 second to enemies within 6 meters. This effect scales off your Max Health. Your blizzard has a 15% chance of inflicting Chilled on enemies damaged.

No more bracing needed.
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna upset people, but it'll never happen so why not:

Oakensoul:
    While equipped, you are unable to swap between your Primary and Backup Weapon Sets and gain Minor Berserk, Minor Courage, Major Brutality, Major Sorcery, Major Prophecy, Major Savagery, Minor Force, Minor Protection, Major Resolve, Minor Mending, Minor Fortitude, Minor Intellect, Minor Endurance, Minor Heroism, Minor Slayer, Minor Aegis, and Empower

Into

Oakensoul:
    While equipped, you are able to swap between a Primary and Backup Weapon Sets and gain Minor Berserk, Minor Courage, Minor Brutality, Minor Sorcery, Minor Prophecy, Minor Savagery, Minor Force, Minor Protection, Minor Resolve, Minor Mending, Minor Fortitude, Minor Intellect, Minor Endurance, Minor Heroism, Minor Slayer, Minor Aegis, and Empower.

And make the base game 1 primary weapon only. Weapon swapping makes combat so twitchy. Anyway, it'll never happen. But that's my input on this subject.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here's mine.

Overwhelming Surge:

2 - Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    3 - Adds 129 Weapon and Spell Damage
    4 - Adds 129 Weapon and Spell Damage
    5 - When you deal damage with a Class ability, you surround yourself with a torrent that deals 149 447 Shock Damage to enemies within 8 10 meters of you every 1 second for 6 seconds. 15% 5% of the damage you deal this way is restored to you as Magicka. This effect can occur every 7 seconds and scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

I miss this set, it was a really cool set for no-pet lightning mage themed sorc before it got gutted to make way for new sets. Increasing it's damage significantly while reducing the sustain significantly so that it still grants similar sustain values as it currently does, while actually being able to deal decent damage would help the set become a viable alternative. Even with these new values, PoN still out dps's this set by roughly 17%, but it would be a viable alternative.
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine.

Frozen Watcher:
    While you have a Frost ability with a duration active, you summon a blizzard around you, inflicting 496 Frost Damage every 1 second to enemies within 6 meters. This effect scales off your Max Health. Your blizzard has a 15% chance of inflicting Chilled on enemies damaged.

No more bracing needed.

that would be hilariously OP on warden and I feel you know this.
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »
    Here's mine.

Overwhelming Surge:

5 - When you deal damage with a Class ability, you surround yourself with a torrent that deals 149 447 Shock Damage to enemies within 8 10 meters of you every 1 second for 6 seconds. 15% 5% of the damage you deal this way is restored to you as Magicka. This effect can occur every 7 seconds and scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

I miss this set, it was a really cool set for no-pet lightning mage themed sorc before it got gutted to make way for new sets. Increasing it's damage significantly while reducing the sustain significantly so that it still grants similar sustain values as it currently does, while actually being able to deal decent damage would help the set become a viable alternative. Even with these new values, PoN still out dps's this set by roughly 17%, but it would be a viable alternative.

between crimson and leeching you pay almost 50 % for the mobility crimson offers. of course there it is also a burst vs dot difference, but since there is also the mana restore component I think 17% is not enough difference. but overall I agree, it is one of the coolest sets and it is regrettable that it is so weak.

my own wish would be more a rework than a rebalance, I once posted it here already:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/635789/vampire-lord-set-bonus-rework-idea#latest

essentially turning the set into another morph layer for vamp, for really focused vampire builds. this could allow to fine tune vampire a bit without making the whole package too op.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaqual wrote: »
    Mine.

Frozen Watcher:

No more bracing needed.

that would be hilariously OP on warden and I feel you know this.

I don’t think it would. I mean it doesn’t do that much damage to be honest. Icy Conjuror deals more and has 100% up time. Pillar of Nirn is another. Its damage isn’t oppressive even on a very high health character. And it wouldn’t be any stronger on a Warden than any other class. Yes, Chill would be a bit stronger but it doesn’t proc it that often. I’m not sure why this would be OP when many others are far stronger and see much more use. Stinging Slashes and Vateshran are dominating right now and they only take 2 slots.

I mean perhaps it could be a bit different, maybe while a skill that grants Resolve or Protection is active. That would restrict its availability a little bit, but it would still synergies with Frost Cloak, Frost Impulse or even something like Dark Cloak.

You could even restrict it even further something like this:

While you have skill that grants Minor or Major Protection active, you summon a blizzard around you, inflicting 496 Frost Damage every 1 second to enemies within 6 meters. This effect scales off your Max Health. Your blizzard has a 15% chance of inflicting Chilled on enemies damaged.

In this way, you would need to have a skill active to take advantage of it.
    Edited by MindOfTheSwarm on January 11, 2024 2:59PM
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the changes to Empower from LA & HA buff to just HA buff, the Grisly Gourmet set doesn't make much sense anymore.

dcja0jsuhqhl.png

It used to be a fun LA weaving set, but Empower doesn't buff LA damage anymore which is how you proc the set. It essentially means that 1/3 of the buffs are pointless and the design is disjointed.

Instead, I'd like to see the following:
    (5 items) Dealing Light Attack damage grants you a stack of Baker's Delight for 5 seconds. When you gain 3 stacks, you create a Sweetroll next to your target for 5 seconds. If you or an ally touches the Sweetroll, both you and you ally gain one of the following effects:
    -Restore 1593 Health, Magicka and Stamina
    -Increase the damage of your Light Attacks by 2100 for 10 seconds
    -Gain Major Expedition for 10 seconds
    -Gain Major Force for 10 seconds

This effect can occur once every 2 seconds.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silks of The Sun, Netch’s Touch and Ysgramor’s Birthright.

I would change 400 Spell Damage to 500 Flat Damage to respective elements. Similar to Draugrkin but specific to one element to offset the element restriction. Would make these sets appealing again… if 500 proves too high then tone it down.
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanna see the class sets be good and some actual innovation.

Burnt out on the 5 piece sets. Let’s do something different and add a class slot like a backpack or another ring or something. Start introducing a number of 3, 4, 6 piece sets for fun. Let’s change it up after 10 years
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burnt out on the 5 piece sets. Let’s do something different and add a class slot like a backpack or another ring or something. Start introducing a number of 3, 4, 6 piece sets for fun. Let’s change it up after 10 years

I agree wholeheartedly. But does that mean the older sets should be forgotten?
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The goal of the suggested changes is not stated. If it so makes what some call underperforming sets more useful then that seems unnecessary as long as there are sets that do perform well.

• CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mine.

Frozen Watcher:

No more bracing needed.

This would become a BiS set for magden. The set is actually quite strong (damage-wise) with how much it procs chilled - removing the bracing component would make it very powerful.

Not saying it shouldn't happen, because there's plenty of very powerful sets - just saying that it would certainly become powerful.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    The goal of the suggested changes is not stated. If it so makes what some call underperforming sets more useful then that seems unnecessary as long as there are sets that do perform well.

Redundancy is never a good thing in a game with a long life span.
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No of course not, but if there are sets that no one really uses, why not try to make them into something different like a 3, 4 or 6 piece set? They get very focused on nerfing powerful sets rather than buffing crappy ones unfortunately
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine.

Frozen Watcher:

No more bracing needed.

This would become a BiS set for magden. The set is actually quite strong (damage-wise) with how much it procs chilled - removing the bracing component would make it very powerful.

Not saying it shouldn't happen, because there's plenty of very powerful sets - just saying that it would certainly become powerful.

It would, but BiS? Not sure. Draugrkin for example is very strong on Magden and an underrated one at that. It would be strong for sure I agree but BiS… I think that’s a stretch.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No of course not, but if there are sets that no one really uses, why not try to make them into something different like a 3, 4 or 6 piece set? They get very focused on nerfing powerful sets rather than buffing crappy ones unfortunately

Again I agree. Stinging Slashes and Vateshran are probably going to get nerfed. Which is a shame, because by themselves I think they are fine. It’s the combo along with hybridization that makes them so strong.

Making underused sets into 3 pieces is an interesting idea.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

Redundancy is never a good thing in a game with a long life span.

10 years and still going strong tells a different story.

• Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silks of The Sun, Netch’s Touch and Ysgramor’s Birthright.

I would change 400 Spell Damage to 500 Flat Damage to respective elements. Similar to Draugrkin but specific to one element to offset the element restriction. Would make these sets appealing again… if 500 proves too high then tone it down.

Yes please! I love those sets but I don't intend to reduce my effectiveness because there are better sets.

"𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vaqual wrote: »
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »
    Here's mine.

Overwhelming Surge:

between crimson and leeching you pay almost 50 % for the mobility crimson offers. of course there it is also a burst vs dot difference, but since there is also the mana restore component I think 17% is not enough difference. but overall I agree, it is one of the coolest sets and it is regrettable that it is so weak.

my own wish would be more a rework than a rebalance, I once posted it here already:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/635789/vampire-lord-set-bonus-rework-idea#latest

essentially turning the set into another morph layer for vamp, for really focused vampire builds. this could allow to fine tune vampire a bit without making the whole package too op.

The magicka restore on surge will be all of a whopping 165 magicka when fully buffed (8k spell damage). You would need to hit 15 enemies every second with this set for it to restore any meaningful amount of magicka (enough for a spammable cast, more for more expensive skills) and that would also require the set not having any cooldown on the magicka restore.

It will be fine, even with the magicka restore component because that value is so low.