Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

ZOS, thanks for jewelry crafting system overhaul, but...

Scaletho
Scaletho
✭✭✭✭✭
Personally I think it is time to rethink the CLOTHIER crafting system as well. Clothier is the only one that deal with TWO TYPES OF SUIT PIECES, light and medium. And honestly the current system is extremely unfair and hugely boring regarding our chances to find (very rare in drop rate compared to Alchemy, Woodwork, Enchanting and even Blacksmith) Clothier Survey Report maps and improve our capacity of finding material. Jewelry is still not good as weel but I hope the rate chances improve soon.

My suggestion is either split the Clothier table in two, giving each one the same chances as alchemy, enchanting, woodwork and blacksmith OR double the system chances to find material.

Considering its current situation Clothier is only good for long time grinders and in-game "professional" sellers. Not all players have time to spend in endless grinding (yeah, this is a very old fact) or a huge amount of gold, and just like the jewelry I think clothier should receive attention and a new system ASAP.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree; it does make getting all the research take longer for newer players, and by separating the two, we'd also have another hireling which would be nice.

But then again, it also means more skill points needed to level up the skills, and more crafting stations in your home and in all the crafting locations around Tamriel. Not a huge deal, but changing clothier to clothier and leather working is probably unnecessary.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want a clothing survey on my one account that hasn't seen one (PC NA OR EU) in over six months.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friend of mine just did 250 surveys lol.

Many of them clothing. RNG is RNG I guess. :(
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As pointed out, blacksmithing has armor and weapons, so also a multitude of item traits to research. If ZOS had designed clothier as two separate disciplines, that would have been fine, but waaaay too much to separate now, and for what gain?

As for materials and surveys, you’re as likely to get those as on other disciplines, dependent on the same variables. Train up alts to increase your odds. I used to make jewelry the priority craft on alts with the skill points to spare — now clothing is the top priority.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling what was done to jewlery crafting an overhaul is extremely generous. There was so much more needed doing than just taking away plating grains to "bring it in line with the other crafts." Starting with removing grains from traits, adding hirelings and increasing the amount of mats from writ rewards to the same as the other crafts. It was really just a token so they can say they listened and fixed it without much effort or thought put in.

As far as clothing goes, I think it's fine as it is.

It takes exactly the same time to research as blacksmith and is very much cheaper because it doesn't need any potent nirn.

The only things I'd maybe change would be making 2 of the 3 writ days use leather instead of silk, or remove the leather boxes from the surveys. Either of those would make it as sustainable as the rest (except jewlery) I think
    PS4 EU
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how it works, considering the ratio of fabric and leather seems the same in surveys and daily writs, but as a longtime player who regularly does the crafting dailies I've ended up with thousands and thousands of rubedo leather but am constantly running short of ancestral silk. And no, it's not because I craft light armour. I can't remember when I last created a piece of armour that wasn't for a master writ. I suppose it's possible I get a lot more light armour master writs than medium, but considering the master writs are relatively rare that still shouldn't make for such a glaring difference. It's not because of deconstruction either, because for years now I've been selling medium armour and deconning light.

I wouldn't mind if the surveys had 5 plants and 1 cage.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I want overhauled is how obscenely long it takes to level enchanting and jewelry crafting through decon.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OsUfi wrote: »
    No, thank you. Adds unnecessary system splits to an easy current system. I'm a filthy casual, and always have crafting mats ready to use for all skill lines.

Would you want Blacksmithing split as well, with weapons and armor being separate?

and I am one of the newer players and completed all the research without issue.

• Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Czeri wrote: »
    I don't understand how it works, considering the ratio of fabric and leather seems the same in surveys and daily writs, but as a longtime player who regularly does the crafting dailies I've ended up with thousands and thousands of rubedo leather but am constantly running short of ancestral silk. And no, it's not because I craft light armour. I can't remember when I last created a piece of armour that wasn't for a master writ. I suppose it's possible I get a lot more light armour master writs than medium, but considering the master writs are relatively rare that still shouldn't make for such a glaring difference. It's not because of deconstruction either, because for years now I've been selling medium armour and deconning light.

I wouldn't mind if the surveys had 5 plants and 1 cage.

I'm in the same boat. It's because we loot leather from many monsters that we kill in natural gameplay, but have to specifically seek out ancestor silk and harvest it.
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ever since I got all 20 toons to Max level crafting, I have plenty of mats for woodworking, blacksmithing, jewellery and leather. But I am running out of ancestor silk for some reason. I would love to be able to get just ancestor silk from clothier surveys.

I am also curious why it is only ancestor silk that I'm running out of. Is that a common problem, or am I doing something wrong?
    PC - NA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think there are 3 unique daily writs and 2 require silk but only one the requires leather. That is why you use up more silk if you do them every day
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• fall0athboy
    fall0athboy
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I like what they did for Jewelry, can we please get a Hireling now?
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silk is everywhere to collect off the ground. I’m surprised that so many of you can run out of it, but I suppose I shouldn’t be since, unlike rubedite or ruby ash, it actually retains value after refinement.
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there are 3 unique daily writs and 2 require silk but only one the requires leather. That is why you use up more silk if you do them every day

I appreciate that, and figure that's why the survey nodes are in that proportion. But I have 50k leather, which seems to stay pretty static, but my silk balance goes down by over 1k a week. 🤷
    PC - NA
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejayvee wrote: »

I appreciate that, and figure that's why the survey nodes are in that proportion. But I have 50k leather, which seems to stay pretty static, but my silk balance goes down by over 1k a week. 🤷

I’m the opposite: WAY more silk versus leather, to the point where I sell silk regularly. Farming resource nodes in Craglorn is part of my routine when I play, and I don’t stop to kill any beast mobs when I’m farming, so leather hardly ever gets added to the pile. The only leather I acquire is via the hireling, surveys, and any random normal dungeons that happen to feature mobs that drop leather.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Only thing I want overhauled is how obscenely long it takes to level enchanting and jewelry crafting through decon.

Honestly, once you hit level 50, Jewelry crafting through decon goes SUPER fast. I've leveled many many characters, and leveling all crafting during levels 1-49 through decon barely moves the skill line... but once I hit 50 and start getting max level items and deconning them, I just breeze through the armor/jewelry crafting lines; I just run dolmens and decon everything I get. Dolmens in particular drop a LOT of jewelry to decon.
    CP: 1880 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Dragonknight ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Honestly, once you hit level 50, Jewelry crafting through decon goes SUPER fast. I've leveled many many characters, and leveling all crafting during levels 1-49 through decon barely moves the skill line... but once I hit 50 and start getting max level items and deconning them, I just breeze through the armor/jewelry crafting lines; I just run dolmens and decon everything I get. Dolmens in particular drop a LOT of jewelry to decon.
    Another approach is to buy platinum ounces and create rings in bulk. I did just that to level up my 7 new alt crafters last year. I created several 1000 platinum rings, then deconned them on the alts, and had them up to level 50 jewelry crafting in a short time. Obviously, that requires spending, though, I'm not trying to deny or downplay that.
    Edited by vsrs_au on January 7, 2024 12:23PM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • CountonMe
    CountonMe
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know why they got rid of the grains, but left the pulverized trait materials @o@
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

I picked this character back up two months ago.

She was already 50, no JC because it didn't exist when I stopped playing her last.

My JC is at 39.

Thats not fast. Everything else leveled VERY quickly, minus JC and Enchanting.

I'll need to buy some intricate items or something. Probably have my buddy make me a shed load of glyphs to break, too.