Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

What is today's (3 Jan) maintenance for?

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I hate to raise another one of those maintenance threads, but does anyone know what today's (3 Jan) maintenance is for? It's scheduled to take 8 hours, so must be fairly significant? There's no mention of it in the Maintenance or Patch Notes sub-forums.
Edited by vsrs_au on January 3, 2024 9:38AM
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't say "patch maintenance," so one would assume it's what they like to refer to as "backend" work.

My money says it will be longer than 8 hours. They have been significantly underestimating the actual length of downtime lately.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    It doesn't say "patch maintenance," so one would assume it's what they like to refer to as "backend" work.

My money says it will be longer than 8 hours. They have been significantly underestimating the actual length of downtime lately.

AND... they extended the New Life event... which they rarely do. So perhaps they already expect the maintenance to go longer, so they wanted to pre-emptively respond to those who would be complaining about the extended maintenance shortening their event time.
    CP: 1880 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they are again reinstating the ability to leave a group instance while in combat.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

AND... they extended the New Life event... which they rarely do. So perhaps they already expect the maintenance to go longer, so they wanted to pre-emptively respond to those who would be complaining about the extended maintenance shortening their event time.
    I'm not one of those complaining about the maintenance length, I just think it would be nice to know what it's for. I am, after all, a paying customer of the product that is currently under maintenance.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • marumarumaru
    marumarumaru
    Soul Shriven
    I've never known a game or indeed any paid-for online service to require so much maintenance, so often and for so long. Imagine if Google or Netflix was taken offline for half a day every two weeks.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better to have maintenances to keep the game stable than no maintenances at all.
    Call me Mait
  • jahaposada
    jahaposada
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Well....they "extended" New Life so that it would be as long as past New Life events. They can say it's because of maintenance concerns but it smells like another lack of communication as the event would have normally started a week earlier and ended yesterday.
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what's going on, but i hope they are going to add more server hardware, more cables for a better internet connection and a cold fusion reactor for unlimited power, so we can all have the server resources we need. And maybe next time they can call pest control to get rid of all the nasty bugs.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maintenance does not require a patch. It is generally for equipment maintenance or code changes that do not change anything in our gameplay, hence no need for patch notes.

They tend to not tell us what is going on with maintenance and it would likely be very boring to read.

• Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS informed us about this maintenance in advance in this thread here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/649008/new-life-festival-2023-extension/p1

Kevin partially said: "Hi Everyone! We wanted to give you a heads up that due to a scheduled maintenance for all megaservers on Wednesday, January 3rd, we are extending the New Life Festival..."

Edited by Dragonnord on January 3, 2024 12:56PM
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hamster maintenance. Got to make sure they are all healthy, no teeth issues, good weight and energy levels, tip-top fur condition, then you have to clean, check and oil the wheels that actually power the Cyrodiil servers... very time consuming.

... but yes, it is probably infrastructure maintenance. Security patches for operating systems and software components, that kind of stuff.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, 8 hour maintenance.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never known a game or indeed any paid-for online service to require so much maintenance, so often and for so long. Imagine if Google or Netflix was taken offline for half a day every two weeks.

Bro if only you played Destiny 2 in 2023. That game is REDICULOUS with the obscene amount of 20 hour maintenance periods and unscheduled outages on top of that. It gave me a profound appreciation for the relative brevity of ESO's maintenance periods. I also believe ESO tries to make an effort to do the shutdowns during low player count times as well.
  • Rufusstan
    Rufusstan
    ✭✭

Back in the day, Eve was as bad if not worse. A decade ago it used to go down for an hour every day. Not sure if it is the same now; I've not plated in years.

• purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a big maintenance whatever it is. I'm eastern time, so from 4 am to 12 pm is 8 hrs. That's a long time to just be scan/defrag/clean out the server or whatever they do.

I take it in stride though. As far as I'm concerned, we're lucky the game is still in operation. It is coming up on 20 years old. To me that's a really long time.
    Give 'er eh!
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a big maintenance whatever it is. I'm eastern time, so from 4 am to 12 pm is 8 hrs. That's a long time to just be scan/defrag/clean out the server or whatever they do.

I take it in stride though. As far as I'm concerned, we're lucky the game is still in operation. It is coming up on 20 years old. To me that's a really long time.

10 years
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe they are fixing whatever is causing ping spikes and effects not to render in Infinite Archive... :smile:
    Playing since beta...
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

10 years

The architecture, engine, and assets are much older than the 10 years the game has been live.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prolly just changing the name of Infinite Archive again....
    Very Long Archive, here we come!
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    only have 1 intern doing the maintenance.

everybody else still recovering from Holidays

:#
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JerBearESO wrote: »
    Prolly just changing the name of Infinite Archive again....
    Very Long Archive, here we come!

I have it on good authority that they are implementing the final boss of the infinite archive.
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

10 years

sorry yes, lol. not 20. Thanks for that. Typo. 10 years. xD
    Insightful granted for catching that
    Edited by purple-magicb16_ESO on January 3, 2024 3:02PM
    Give 'er eh!
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cyro has been pretty much unplayable for many people I play with, for the last week or so. Hopefully this maintenance fixes that.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi All, today's maintenance is to reboot the game servers after we come back from break. We do this kind of update annually after the studio comes back from the holiday break.
    Edited by ZOS_Kevin on January 3, 2024 3:16PM
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hopefully rolling back to the first year after launch when the game was challenging :o
  • miloflipper
    miloflipper
    Soul Shriven
    If it's not disclosing too many secrets, why does it take so long? Is it because you are doing an image backup of the servers before applying latest security patches and reboot? I know these backups can take several hours.
    All rights reserved.
  • Grendalism
    Grendalism
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi All, today's maintenance is to reboot the game servers after we come back from break. We do this kind of update annually after the studio comes back from the holiday break.

So effect ‘Turn the servers off and back on again’
    #ITCrowd

Though all joking aside, it’s needed to free up the memory and remove built up temporary files…
    Building stuff on EU-PS4 since 2015
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fooled you all, they are done early! :D
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grendalism wrote: »

#ITCrowd

Though all joking aside, it’s needed to free up the memory and remove built up temporary files…

However the reboot must be extremely complicated if it takes this long.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grendalism wrote: »

#ITCrowd

Don't the servers effectively get rebooted every time there is a patch or hardware maintenance that requires the game to be shut down for hours?
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.