Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Overhaul of ESO

TheMessengerOfDeath
I've been playing ESO on and off since beta like a bad relationship and over the years the game has undergone a lot of fundamental changes but let's make a list of things that still need to be revamped, changed, re worked, ect.

1.) Game sets - My number 1 problem with ESO is the amount of sets this game has it's upwards to 400+ sets now. That's not even the biggest problem let's talk about it.

IMPORTANT TLDR or AKA (Too long didn't read) will be added at the bottom of every block of text to sum up my post for that particular section.

Redundant sets - We have a massive amount of Redundant sets in this game that have almost zero difference or is so close in numbers the amount is negligible. 1 example

Leviathan set bonus - 2 items: Adds 1096 Maximum Stamina
3 items: Adds 657 Critical Chance
4 items: Adds 657 Critical Chance
5 items: Adds 1528 Critical Chance

Medusa set bonus - 2 items: Adds 657 Critical Chance
5 items: Adds 892 Critical Chance, Gain Minor Force at all times, increasing your Critical Damage by 10%.

Mother's Sorrow set bonus - 2 items: Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
5 items: Adds 1528 Critical Chance

Order's Wrath set bonus - 2 items: Adds 657 Critical Chance
3 items: Adds 129 Weapon and Spell Damage
5 items: Adds 943 Critical Chance, Increases your Critical Damage and Critical Healing by 8%

The difference in these sets are so little it's not even funny and should instead be re worked to be able to sorta customize set piece bonus in the future. So instead of say 2 items add X magic how about we can have a new material, item, transmute ect to change 2 items into Add X stamina or X health or another line of crit chance or crit dmg. I don't see the point in adding in so many sets that offer very little difference in the grand scheme of things. Sure one offers Minor force and another Crit Dmg and Crit healing why not just group them together. Example

set bonus - Mother Sorrow/ Medusa combined reworked
2 items: Adds 3750 crit chance
4 items: Adds 1096 Maximum Stamina
5 items: Gain Minor Force at all times, increasing your Critical Damage by 10%.

Example 2

set bonus - Leviathan - Order's Wrath combined reworked
2 items: Adds 3528 Critical Chance
4 items: Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
5 items: Adds 943 Critical Chance, Increases your Critical Damage and Critical Healing by 8%

Why can something like this not be done to ease the pain of useless sets that are almost all the same ? So the idea is this if its going to be made for DPS then line 2 needs to add Crit chance or crit dmg ect that can be the baseline of if this set is for DPS, TANK, HEALER, line 3 needs to add either max Stam or max Mag but can also be changed with transmutes or maybe some other type of material found within the game or even from enchantment table. Line 4 again is this going to be an DPS set if so then we need a line of Weapon and Spell dmg 129 and here LINE 5 IS WHERE your special sauce is added rather it be some unique thing like PON for example 5 items: When you deal damage, you create a fissure underneath the enemy after 1 second, dealing 803 Bleed Damage to all enemies within 2.5 meters and causing them to bleed for an additional 2405 Bleed Damage over 10 seconds. This effect can occur once every 10 seconds and scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

See that set adds bleed dmg but what if we dont want bleed dmg what if we want Aegis caller ? - When you deal critical damage with a Martial melee attack, summon a Lesser Aegis for 11 seconds. After 2.5 seconds, the Lesser Aegis spins its blades, dealing 478 Bleed Damage every 1 second. This effect can occur once every 12 seconds and scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

Now those are 2 sets in the game that make sense to have not 20 of the same or close enough sets that are rampant in the game with very little to almost zero differnce and if it is we need a new update to crafting to tweak lines that stay in line with the sets ofc and no it's not create your own set its going to be limited and restricted ofc and the main thing is either line 2 giving you stam it will instead give you health or mag. ect.

TLDR about armor sets - DPS sets needs at 2 items: (Adds line of crit chance or crit dmg ) - 3 items: Offer X amount of stam or mag but offer a way of changing that with transmutes or material to align with your setup - 4 items: Add X amount for weapon and spell damage and last but not least 5 items is where you get your special Identity set from rather it be PON, rele, Riptide, Aegis, ansuul ect. Enough with redundant sets please. ofc this doesn't have to be for all sets added in the future but it would help to remove massive amounts of sets from the game that just isn't needed.

2.) Sets pve/pve - This game has a horrible problem of nerfing PVE sets because of PVP this is [snip] design and has been going on since the start. let's talk about the oakensoul ring which led to large voices within the community be very vocal and against the ring due to pvp balance. So for starters NO PVE set in this game should out perform a PVP set in pvp gameplay. Right off the bat you have failed PVP players there is not 1 mmo where you would ever run a PVE set in PVP besides eso and you all have missed the mark by a *** mile when it comes to pvp. Example in Aion it's PVP gear adds something called (PVP Magic Defense+5%) and (PVP Physical Defense+5%) per 5 piece so that's a total of 25% PVP mag defense and 25% PVP Physical Defense. Genius way of making pvp gear right ? Just give it PVP bonus wow. Here is your PVP weapons bonus PVP Magic Attack+6% PVP Physical Attack+6% man its almost like they made it for PVP crazy.

TLDR - Anyway within ESO since this game has a very unique way of having 5 piece sets, mythics, monster sets, ect make your own PVP version instead of taking the easy and [snip] way out by just nerfing pve gear. No excuses do better. NO PVE SET SHOULD OUTPERFORM PVP sets in PVP do better. Adjust be not just reactive but proactive.

3.) Graphics - Maybe take a year off to simply revamp, update, and refine graphics for housing items, gear sets, zones, outfit styles , ect all textures from years ago that look AWFUL, BLURRY and in all honesty scream 2008. Everybody and their mother would approve.

[snip]

5.) Classes, mythics, - I'm call a spade a spade and Can we please call it what it is and quit adding in mythics and classes you know are overperforming [snip]

Warden & Necro BUFF BUFF BUFF BUFF horrible state for dps you can get 100k+ but holy *** lets quit pretending the way you reach it for those 2 classes are anything but sane and not even joking when I say you have about 2 options to reach that dps.

ps Update the other 4 classes and revamp their skills morphs ect they need it BADLY.

6.) New class/ The reaper dark shadow misty figure who fight from the shadow realm, sorta like noob saibot from MK basically what the necro from this game should've been.
New weapon/ Give us a sythe already and make it our 2 handed polearm weapon skill line already that focuses on dark magic, chains, snares, ect.

[snip]

8.) COMBAT - idk man you need to just rework combat from the ground up its lack luster and leaves a lot to be desired it's nothing special also requires you play a mini game of bar swapping which is one of the worst things added IMO to newer mmo games.

9.) IA is amazing a new endless dungeon is sweet but lets hope it's not locked to just Hermaeus Mora's realm of oblivion. Not sure how many more black and green dungeons I can look at before I never go back. How about we add dungeons and other areas from the game like High Isles so I can actually look at a beautiful ocean on the beach while fighting mobs ?

10.) Finally note but lets go to skingrad!

[edited for bashing]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 2, 2024 2:01PM
  • TheMessengerOfDeath
    Also to add to the armor set section of this please remove sets that require certain dmg types to apply the 5 piece bonus sets nobody wants a situational set that requires you to perform or even take a certain dmg type to proc effects. Make it a flat dmg that you dish out or take to proc the effect. Also nobody wants to carry around 20 sets that require you be at 25% hp to proc something quit making sets with requirements or conditions that are redundant to other sets nobody has time for that. gross
    Edited by TheMessengerOfDeath on December 31, 2023 10:25PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

3.) Graphics - Maybe take a year off to simply revamp, update, and refine graphics for housing items, gear sets, zones, outfit styles , ect all textures from years ago that look AWFUL, BLURRY and in all honesty scream 2008. Everybody and their mother would approve.

No they wouldn't. Remember, you're only speaking for yourself. Personally I'm fine with the graphics, but that's always partly a subjective thing and partly a platform/system specs/game settings thing.

Yeah, I keep my game settings pretty low for performance reasons, and I'm amazed at how much better the game looks when I'm watching an ESO streamer who's either on console or on a much better computer than mine. o_O
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

No they wouldn't. Remember, you're only speaking for yourself. Personally I'm fine with the graphics, but that's always partly a subjective thing and partly a platform/system specs/game settings thing.

Agreed.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sound like you don't enjoy the game at all. Perhaps try something different? For me I love it as it is, so what if there are old redundant sets, it doesn't matter. I don't care much about PvP but think there are easy ways it can be improved without ruining the game for the majority who only play PvE. The graphics look pretty damn good at 2K+ on a 21:9 screen, yeah sure some of the older zones are looking dated, but that's part of the charm of the game, you can see the evolution as you go from the starter areas to the latest zones. Sorry can't agree with much of what you put, ESO is doing just fine and I love it and I've been playing since closed beta.

Once again, agreed! I was trying to come up with something, but you posted so now I don't have to!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s the spirit!

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Example 2

Yeah, sure. Let's give this set 20,5% crit chance + bonus damage + max stats + crit damage. What can go wrong? 🤷

Great reply. Great perspective. I almost fell out of my chair.

• TheMessengerOfDeath
    Amottica wrote: »
    Example 2

Yeah, sure. Let's give this set 20,5% crit chance + bonus damage + max stats + crit damage. What can go wrong? 🤷

None of the numbers is to be taken serious they are example and differnt wieghts are literally something they can be fixed by making them craftable so yes they are very redundant.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Example 2

None of the numbers is to be taken serious they are example and differnt wieghts are literally something they can be fixed by making them craftable so yes they are very redundant.

You can reconstruct drop sets like these now with the sticker book, (so it’s sort of like regular crafting sets) but you are still limited to only the original weight.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Example 2

Not redundant at all as the post before the one that was quoted properly presents.

The "issue" of how many sets we have and their differences and commonalities are just so trivial. It does not harm our gameplay in any manner.

We find the sets we want to use and enjoy the game. It is amazing.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sound like you don't enjoy the game at all. Perhaps try something different? For me I love it as it is, so what if there are old redundant sets, it doesn't matter. I don't care much about PvP but think there are easy ways it can be improved without ruining the game for the majority who only play PvE. The graphics look pretty damn good at 2K+ on a 21:9 screen, yeah sure some of the older zones are looking dated, but that's part of the charm of the game, you can see the evolution as you go from the starter areas to the latest zones. Sorry can't agree with much of what you put, ESO is doing just fine and I love it and I've been playing since closed beta.

Agree with most of this
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you want people to wear 2 piece bonus of 6 sets? Why would I want anything past the 2 piece here....
  • Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your suggested sets would be broken, but I actually agree that ESO needs some set overhauls. There's too many sets in the game, most are not useful and they are not balanced with each other. Some sets are objectively better than others and some sets are completely useless. I imagine it can be overwhelming for new players as well. Sometimes I see people in Cyrodiil using really bad sets and I think about how much more of a better time they would have if ZOS didn't have so many build pitfalls for them to fall into.

I also agree with actually overhauling PvP, they need to do better there for sure. Everyone knows it.

Let's not touch graphics though, remember they have the horrible hardware of 2013 consoles to support.

Edited by Stamicka on January 1, 2024 7:03PM
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always apply for a job at ZOS. :D
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as the sets you mentioned, Leviathan is a medium armor set, Medusa is a heavy armor set, and Mother's Sorrow is a light armor set, so that takes away some of their redundancy since different players might want to choose one or another of those sets based on their armor weights. Order's Wrath is craftable, so it can be in any armor weight that the player desires and combined with one of the other three.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1)
    I don't agree with your solution, but it's clear that there are still a lot of underperforming sets - not even necessarily older ones, but even new ones like the class sets. Those definitely deserver another look.

2)
    Meh, I've always been fine with this. I mostly see this as a sub-section of #1, in that there already are a lot of PvP sets, but they are simply not that great - not even compared to PvE sets, but other PvP sets as well.

3)
    Completely agree, and this has been talked about for years. Rich Lambert even once said their team would love to overhaul the base game zones, but there's not really any time for it.
    For example, there is no reson why Stonefalls and Deshaan Ordinators should run around in *** looking low res 2014 armor when we have several newer and better looking Ordinator styles in the game.

4)
    Can't imagine anyone disagreeing with this.

5)
    Agreed completely. So much still has to be done to make all classes fun, unique and valuable group members.

6)
    What?
    No more classes, please. Ever.

7)
    Yeah never going to happen, they won't abandon their #1 revenue source. Just look how much people were in a frenzy when the legalized gold selling scheme (Crown Gifting) didn't work for a while.

8)
    Also never going to happen. If you don't want to bar swap, get an Oakensoul build.

9)
    Kinda agree with this lol, but I doubt they'll revisit IA. But it does get tedious to look at after a while, other arenas have more diversity in their stages.

10)
    We will.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.) Game sets - My number 1 problem with ESO is the amount of sets this game has it's upwards to 400+ sets now.

To be clear, the problem isn't that there are 400+ sets. It's that there are only 15/400 sets that are viable.

In principle, I love that ESO has 400+ different sets. It's great that players can build and run whatever their creative juices can come up with! For years, I've been an advocate of Overland sets being designed for new players, so it's ok that the power level is lower. Players should want to pick them up and run with them until they get more experience! I like that there are tons of ways to build and different procs and effects and buffs! It's great that ESO has all of these diverse sets!

HOWEVER, that isn't reality. The reality of the situation is that those 15/400 sets are accessible early in the game. With online guides, players already start the game KNOWING what to go get!! They can buy BIS sets from guild traders, or just ask a friend to craft Order's Wrath! Or run Normal Trials for one weekend to get all of the Relequen they need. No one is picking up random Overland/Dungeon Sets, playing with them for a couple days at lvl 30 until they find something better! That's the dream world, and I wish it were like that, but it isn't reality.

In reality, players are just using Orders Wrath/Hundings Rage/Law of Julianos until CP 160, then humping 2 dungeons until they get meta sets/Monster sets, then humping normal Trials until they get whatever Alcasthq told them to get, then humping Arenas until they get whatever Weapon their build needs, then grinding Leads until they get the Mythic the online video told them to get. No one is using the "designed to be low power" sets that make up 200/400 because, why should they?
    5.) quit adding in mythics and classes you know are overperforming

Then, how are they gonna sell the next DLC?!? At this point, its literally ZOS release design to overshoot power with the knowledge that it'll be reigned back later. They would rather release something that is OP, get a bunch of Live testing as players play with it, then slowly scale it back based on the testing. The other way of releasing it under-powered just means no one will use it, there wont be any data, and it'll slip into the void of 400+ sets/items. LIVE IS BETA TESTING.
    8.) COMBAT - idk man you need to just rework combat from the ground up its lack luster and leaves a lot to be desired it's nothing special also requires you play a mini game of bar swapping which is one of the worst things added IMO to newer mmo games.

Idk, I actually rather like ESO combat. Is this position just born from a performance issue? Connection issue? IK a lot of players like Oakensoul because of performance issues. They like the simplified combat because they have bad internet and lag makes bar swapping a nightmare. Holding one button constantly just makes combat there really boring IMO. *shrug*

On the flip side, if you are competent and the game can keep up, bar swapping and combat can feel really rewarding. I'm not in favor of dumbing down combat.
    9.) IA is amazing a new endless dungeon is sweet but lets hope it's not locked to just Hermaeus Mora's realm of oblivion. Not sure how many more black and green dungeons I can look at before I never go back. How about we add dungeons and other areas from the game like High Isles so I can actually look at a beautiful ocean on the beach while fighting mobs ?

totally agree. I think the worst part of the DESIGN of Infinite Archive is the "Archive" part. It's inherently designed for Hermaeus Mora, so there's no real room for further expansion into other daedric realms or Tamriel provinces. There are PLENTY of bosses and mobs to pull in for other expansions and it'd be nice to see new stage designs. The same 8 Stages is starting to get old...
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. I don't think eso needs any specific graphical improvements, and most points that aren't specific to itemization, I don't necessarily agree with. I want to see more locations, more classes, reworks and balancing of a few classes that already exist. But I'm not gonna specifically comment on this.
    2. without a complete overhaul of how all sets in the game are balanced, a 2 set bonus that gives stats like that is a terrible idea, let alone two sets. The game is currently balanced around 2-4 piece sets bonuses being small bonuses, and 5 piece bonuses being the biggest bonus (for the most part).
    3. I do want an overhaul of all "bad" sets in the game, reworking everything that isn't used into something that is competitive with what is used to really increase the number of sets people use in general at end game. If this overhaul includes an entire overhaul of the system, I'd be happy about that, too. More gear slots (rings or necklace slots would make sense so they don't have to add more crafting stations or things to make at crafting stations), or making sets be 4 pieces instead of 5, or as Hack mentioned in his video, a new slot for class set bonuses rather than them being 5 piece sets, Or even a mythic item slot. I love the itemization in this game, but something to really spice up itemization without completely changing it would be welcome.
    Edited by merpins on January 2, 2024 4:37PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moonsorrow wrote: »
    It's literally the same thing [snip]. It's literally the same amount just in 1 item bonus instead of 3. Then they complain about graphics are good enough ect ect blah blah blah. Basically nobody wants to change then begin to wonder why people leave. This is a small example out of the hundreds of things that need to be revamped the game is 10 years old lets quit pretending its perfect.

Some people here sadly do not want to change anything in the game, even if it would do good for the game. Some content creators literally call them the "toxic casuals" because they actually lower the masses interest in those games, when content creators loses also interest, when they view numbers and monetization charts clearly show decline.

But what do these "defenders of their main (and often only) game" do? They just always come up with explanations how everything is just fine and perfect and how everyone loves the game as it is.

People really are leaving, almost all my friends have already quit. And people tell here all the reasons for quitting, but always same people just defending the game and telling "everything is fine as it is" even when it's not. Last years been not a good direction for ESO for many it's players.

All the good suggestions, even when Class Rep program was still active (remember that guys?) was always just declined and updates were not more enjoyable, but less.

Why cannot people here ever want any good changes, they always feel any change is bad. :neutral:

We'll let you know when we see any changes we think are any good :wink: !

Seriously, just because some players think something would be "good for the game" doesn't mean everyone shares that opinion. The game has been hugely successful (and remains so) because of what it is, not because of what some think it ought to be. There have been some good changes over the years, and there have been some good suggestions for further changes, but that doesn't mean all the changes or all the suggestions for changes have been good. However, it's always just a matter of personal opinion.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 2, 2024 6:24PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    1)
    I don't agree with your solution, but it's clear that there are still a lot of underperforming sets - not even necessarily older ones, but even new ones like the class sets. Those definitely deserver another look..

There are underperforming sets in every game I have played that have multiple sets to choose from. It is a fact of math. Even with the suggestion laid out in the original post of this thread there will be underperforming sets.

Why bother changing it since the current scheme harms no one's gameplay? It would not help underperforming players perform well since there is a lot more that goes into a player doing good DPS or tanking and healing well.

In the end, it would be a waste of time to make such a change to an issue that is very trivial.

• ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine the PvP builds with 2 5 pc sets, a mythic, and 3x Leviathan.