Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Do we still want the COMBAT BUG fixed? Yes /No?

Nighn_9
Nighn_9
✭✭✭✭
There is no reason I should be entering combat every few seconds when I'm sitting at the Northern or Southern Gates in Cyrodiil.

Another year has passed and the combat bug is still around...The combat bug prevents us from using the wayshrine, swapping gear/skills, mounting, using a keep recall stone, and pretty much anything that you normally could do outside of combat because well... you are STUCK IN COMBAT. Some of these things are vital in between Keep Fights for PvP.

The only fix that I know of right now is to purposely kill your character and we should not have to do that exit combat.

This is what I like to call the "Handicap for Losing Factions" and it needed to be fixed like yesterday... This has been going on forever ZOS. Unless you guys have at least a small official statement of some kind explaining what is going on with the situation of the bug to give clarity to the players, I see no excuse for it to continue being in the game.

I don't know, maybe if everyone opened a feedback report and voiced their opinion after reading this, ZOS would receive so many of them and at least give us an official statement on the subject and perhaps put the fix near the top of their to-do list. PvP barely gets any kind of new content, but this fix alone would go a very long way and I know MANY players would be very much appreciative. But that's just me hoping I suppose and my thoughts on the matter.

But what do you all think? Should ZOS fix this bug?

Edited by Nighn_9 on December 29, 2023 7:16AM
NA / PC
November Beta 2013
WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE

Do we still want the COMBAT BUG fixed? Yes /No? 83 votes

YES...
81%
BelegnoleNebsLonePirateMaster_FluffIdinuseSmokedpyrotechshadyjane62peacenoteDestaiValgar0rNighn_9Thrasher91604OhtimbarDelphiniaPossemilyhyoyeonTheImperfectKynigosStamickaBenTSG 68 votes
NO...
2%
pelle412francesinhalover 2 votes
I don't mind it...
4%
LumsdenmlToxic_HemlockAzrael_1976wilykcat 4 votes
Perhaps it cannot be fixed...
10%
AektannSkoomahfizl101Vonnegut2506MaitsukasspartaxoxoKiltMasterVyneraESO_player123 9 votes
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need some insight into how and why the bug happens, and how much development time would be required to fix it.

Otherwise surely the answer is just 'yes, in an ideal world this bug wouldn't exist'. I mean, no one *wants* the bug.

edit: thanks for cleaning all the caps and strings of !?! etc. :)
    Edited by Kite42 on December 29, 2023 11:17PM
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES...
    Kite42 wrote: »
    Ease off the excessive caps and punctuation. .
    I don't think "STUCK IN COMBAT" is overdoing it xD
    Then, give us some insight into how and why the bug happens.
    Well the how and the why would be the same thing, but I don't think anyone knows the true answer or maybe it could be fixed easily. Sometimes for me though, I could port straight into Cyrodill and be immediately in combat. So maybe it's something a friendly player can give to another, I'm not sure. That's why I'm personally very much annoyed with this bug.
    how much development time would be required to fix it.
    To be blunt that's not my job. That's for the developer of the game to decide. I mean, I'm not sure what all holidays they take off and which crew members go on vacation so that others can pick up their work. Let alone which crew members are doing what.

Ultimately, the bug has been in the game for so long, a couple of years now, that players are starting to wonder if it will even be fixed at all. And that's what I made the poll for. To see if players even want it fixed anymore.
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this bug has been around for a long time but to put things into perspective - it is way worse than it used to be. When I came back to play a bit for the holidays it was unbearably bad. Once night I was literally in combat as soon as I got into Cyrodiil and on more than one occasion combat persisted for the entire night even when I'd take breaks to make coffee and make a quick dinner. Listen, if they don't want us swapping gear mid-combat then fine. Make it so that loadouts have to be chosen at the entrance of the dungeon and within the alliance bases in Cyrodiil. And as for the mounting thing - we've all suggest it at least once in the last tens years. Let's say it together now. "Let us mount in combat with zero mount stamina."

Anyway, I wanted to suggest a slight workaround that also has the potential of forcing more attention on the issue. Every time I am stuck in combat. And I do mean every single time. I stop and fill out /feedback requesting that I be let out (be sure to select random categories for the dropdowns). This serves two purposes. Well, three actually. The first being that it is quite cathartic for me. But it also actually seems to work sometimes. At least half the time being in one of those menus does actually seem to cause combat to drop off for whatever reason. Even when it won't drop off by otherwise doing nothing for minutes at a time. Finally, it will also fill up the ticket request queue with lots of annoying messages about the exact same thing which forces ZoS to either deliberately ignore a whole lot of tickets building up in the system (which will be auto ignored anyway due to their automation system, but hey, at least there will be a backlog they need to account for) or actually start to acknowledge that this is a real issue that actually can't be swept under the rug forever.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem not just the in combat bug itself but that developers keep adding in combat restrictions which uses this forever existing bugged in combat status to relay on. I sometimes wonder if they do not know their own game or deliberately develop broken features, primary example disabling wayshrine port while in combat and with that making it impossible to normally leave cyrodiil when you have the in combat bug.
    (and no it's not bashing it's simple fact, putting a by design broken feature into the game is either lack of knowledge or lack of care on the part of whoever made it, and leaving there by now for more than a year after it was pointed out is obvious lack of care)
  • Masteroshi430
    Masteroshi430
    ✭✭✭
    Do you guys have more infos on this bug?
    It looks like there are two different complaints with "in combat" state taking waaaaay too long to come back to off and "in combat" state NEVER coming back to off.
    Also I have questions:
    - Does this bug happen when grouped / solo? In what proportion?
    - Does this bug happen more in Cyrodiil or is it the same for all PvP modes? In non CP campaign? In what proportion?
    - Does this bug happen with PvE content? In what proportion compared to the PvP?
    - Can the "in combat" state be switched on by another player healing you? If yes which healing skill is it?
    - Are there players who never encountered this bug with a character? If yes, what gear/skills do they have on that character?
    Edited by Masteroshi430 on December 30, 2023 7:52AM
    @Masteroshi430 PC/EU (old French guy playing in English & addon author/maintainer) My addons
    Deshaan Honeydew Hors D'Oeuvre <<< FIX THAT TYPO GODDAMMIT!
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES...
    I read the perfect solution in another thread:

Just make it so when you use a wayshrine you are automatically taken out of combat.
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES...
    In most cases it seems to be if you apply a status effect like burning and it gets stuck on the target for 49xxx days you get stuck in combat till you or the enemy dies or logs out.
    Happens a lot with fire siege.
    If you are near enough to the enemy you can see the red dot on them.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind it...
    The stuck I'm combat bug is very common within many online games. I find it funny 😁.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ease off the excessive caps and punctuation. Then, give us some insight into how and why the bug happens, and how much development time would be required to fix it.

Otherwise surely the answer is just 'yes, in an ideal world this bug wouldn't exist'. I mean, no one *wants* the bug.

Agreed, although I'd also like to know why they haven't fixed it. Perhaps it's because it relates to an exploit or simple cheat, perhaps it's because they did fix it internally but their testing produced unintended consequences. All sorts of reasons why some bugs persist.

Nonetheless, some communication on the subject should be possible, and would clearly be welcomed.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES...
    I too would like to know why this hasn’t been fixed for so many years.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As far as in dungeons it's not a bug. I've timed it and basically every dungeon with doors don't pull large groups. They always get stuck somewhere and keep you in combat.

As for PvP meh nobody is worried about fixing something for an add on
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YES...
    I was disappointed this wasn't priority #1 for the bug fix/quality of life quarter. It is one of the most invasive bugs.

Anecdotally, in PvP it happens to me a lot more on my healers, such that I then can't mount and I get behind in the fights, and then will sometimes miss when resources are captured. This all drives me crazy, especially since healers tend to earn AP a little bit slower in general.

I would definitely like to hear from ZOS whether it is fixable and, if so, why it wasn't prioritized when they focused on bugs. I think most of the community would be happier to see this fixed than a bunch of "fixed quest whatever when in rare circumstances this weird thing happens."
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it cannot be fixed...
    Honestly at this point, I feel like if they could fix it, they would. It also leaks into PvE sometimes, which is the main focus. So can't even make the 'PVP' excuse at this point.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YES...
    Do I want it fixed? Yes, yesterday, please and thank you.
    Do I think it will be fixed? No, not without a major rewrite of the combat engine anyway.
  • Delphinia
    Delphinia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES...
    I really do enjoy many aspects of this game. I just don't understand why this particular issue has not been resolved. It hinders gameplay and is just infuriating to many players. Being "in combat" prohibits so many areas of our time here.

The "cannot mount" aspect is one major obstacle that does not seem to do anything, but slow down the movement and progression of combat. Why should we not be able to mount? I have full mount stam, speed, champ points, but have been stunned while riding, or some other weird "hocus pocus" that has managed to kill me. Why not give us the chance to mount while still giving our enemies the opportunity to knock us back off?

Why should we not be able to read mail? What does mail have to do with combat? Even if I had someone send me potions or gear, so? It takes time to equip those items anyway.

Why should we not be able to put different siege into our quickslots? There are not enough slots for all of the items we have to carry on the field, so we are in combat when we need to equip a different siege. Yes, yes I know, come prepared.. most of us do, but again, we do not have enough room for all of our siege to begin with.

There are enough frustrations with regards to other issues that I will refrain from bringing up here, but not being able to mount when I have been out of combat for twenty minutes, is absurd, I'm sorry. With the ease that any one of us can be put into combat, why is it so difficult to get out?

Let us mount at our own risk.

At the very least, please explain why you will not, or cannot resolve this issue. It should not be any big secret. Many of us have been longtime subscribers and have supported your game from the very beginning. All we are asking for is support from you in return.
  • Wolfshade
    Wolfshade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need some insight into how and why the bug happens, and how much development time would be required to fix it.

Actually it required 10 years of fixing. Pretty sure they would have fix it propably if...
    Edited by Wolfshade on December 30, 2023 8:12AM
  • Masteroshi430
    Masteroshi430
    ✭✭✭
    Ok if nobody answers my questions I guess the goal here is to complain, not to fix it.
    My goal is to gather data on the bug so it can help them fix it.
    There's obviously a communication problem on this bug, maybe something they don't want/can't tell, if we gather the info/data here and they can read it and find a fix without having to give us the unallowed info/words then we have it fixed and everyone is happy, right?

I have another question:
    When you have the combat state starting to be long to switch to off in Cyro while grouped and no enemies are around, has a group ever tried to stop healing each other to see if it switches to off faster?
    @Masteroshi430 PC/EU (old French guy playing in English & addon author/maintainer) My addons
    Deshaan Honeydew Hors D'Oeuvre <<< FIX THAT TYPO GODDAMMIT!
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaaaaw, noo. I almost now consider it as a cousin. It was a companion before companions.
  • Wolfshade
    Wolfshade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Masteroshi430 Your efforts in all honor I do not know anyone in the last 10 years who did not have the bug and do not count the threads or comments anymore.

Mostly Cyro
    Cyro CP/no cp - no difference
    Healing/Cleansy - no
    pve - possible (had that only in early days)

In my opinion there are two types of Combat bug. One maybe gone away if travel to other places places, the other one will stay endless. You has to log-off (what you cant cause of cb) so you need to close your game. After closing the Game and restart, refresh bonus getting shown.

It appears for players who start the game via client as well as for players who start the game via .exe. For me it occurs 100% of the time when I fight against high-end small groups or in ballgrp.

As a healer, it is enough to cast a healing skill in combat for it to occur.

Very often in combination with addons (libaries), but also without.

Seems like some kind of programed endless-spaghetti-loop is triggert.

Good luck with your work
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES...
    Do I want this? Yes. Will they do it? Don't think so. At this point, they'd need a whole new engine and likelihood of that is as low as Bethesda finally doing away with Creation Engine imo.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on December 30, 2023 8:50AM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel