Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Increase Log-in timeout

GLP323b14_ESO
GLP323b14_ESO
✭✭✭✭
If you are using many addons, and in particular certain addons that accumulate a lot of data, it can make the log-in times significantly longer than normal.

Well... though that sucks, there are those of us who are willing to put up with the additional time to log on in favor of using the addons.

The problem is, sometimes this added amount of time exceeds the limit placed on how long it allows you to log-in to the game. So after waiting it ultimately decides to kick you from the game without fully logging in. Presumably had it allowed for a bit more time it would have succeeded at some point.
PC/NA @GP323
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this issue mainly occur on mac if during login you swap to another program and the eso will run in the background.

On mac they have very bad foreground/background processing implementation and any time you send eso to the background on mac it will slow down to crawl, so if during the already slow and boring login instead of looking at the login screen you swap to another program, the eso login will significantly slow down even more and the timeout will kick off eventually. And lets to be honest who would want just look at the loading screen for about 2 minutes while the usual login done on mac, people tend to swap to a browser or something to spend their time, which will cause that the normal 2 minutes login will now take 5+ minutes and you got auto logout during the login process.
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    Us on poor console will never know the majesty of addons…
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Upgrade your rig and connection. I run near 100 addons I believe and I've never had this issue
    I run about 80 (if you include the library addons), and my network ping's about 400 on average, and I haven't had login timeouts either. My gaming PC has fairly good specs, though.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • GLP323b14_ESO
    GLP323b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well my rig is kinda old at this point.

Maybe that would help then.

Still I feel the timeout could be a bit longer.
    PC/NA @GP323
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Edited due to not reading title of forum post]

Reading through this discussion I notice addons do cause some issues with the game and affect its performance.

Try disabling all addons, do a disk clean up (clear cache, tmp files, etc), and then see if the game runs better. It is recommended to uninstall any addons that have the most negative impact on the game's and device's performance.
    Edited by wilykcat on December 28, 2023 12:49AM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well my rig is kinda old at this point.

Maybe that would help then.

Still I feel the timeout could be a bit longer.

So is mine - 9 years and counting I have about 75 addons, and no extreme login lag....

Mind you, I don't use the addons for guild stores, or master merchant etc.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem is, sometimes this added amount of time exceeds the limit placed on how long it allows you to log-in to the game. So after waiting it ultimately decides to kick you from the game without fully logging in.

If you find yourself stuck on a long loading screen while logging in, such that you fear getting bumped off before you land in-game, just click anywhere on the screen while the loading screen is still up.

That registers as activity, and you won't get bumped; a fix I discovered unintentionally a while back.

I was getting bumped during the first log-in after a patch (which is still a thing [that Gina warned us about when it first became a thing] because the game is repopulating the database with all of your account info on this particular log-in; the more characters you have, the longer it takes), after inputting my password and during the first long loading screen before landing on the Character Selection screen.

So after the servers were brought back online on this particular day after a patch, I was getting bumped-off for inactivity consistently during that interminably-long loading screen, before getting to Character Selection, and I just so happened to notice, after several failed attempts, that if I clicked on the screen every minute or so during that first loading screen after password input, that it stopped bumping me off.
    I deduced that the game is registering those clicks as activity. Whether or not I am wrong in that deduction, I've been doing that on patch day ever since, and I no longer get bumped off before the Character Selection screen pops-up.

And it doesn't have to be right after a patch. This would apply to any excessively-long loading screen.

Edited by Grizzbeorn on December 28, 2023 8:08AM
      PC/NA Warden Main