Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

The future of ESO - Flight

• finehair
    finehair
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pls no the mounts have already become an eye sore with all the flashing effects. I don't want to see them take off and corrupt skies as well .
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flying wouldn’t work in Cyrodiil. Players would just go over the keep walls like you used to be able to with Dragonknights.
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like this would take a huge amount of effort (may require porting the game to a new engine; would certainly require a lot of work on old zones - height of terrain is regularly used as a means of limiting access, and it's very likely that currently-inaccessible areas lack complete assets and artwork... and the maps are not always as contiguous as they appear, having instanced and disconnected areas that require loading screens... just for starters).

And for what? Just to fly around the same old zones? To me, that seems like it would be new and interesting for about 15 minutes and then I'd go back to playing the rest of the game.

So many things I'd rather have them focus all of that effort on.
    Edited by valenwood_vegan on December 31, 2023 4:33PM
  • Trundik
    Trundik
    ✭✭✭
    reazea wrote: »
    Please no. Someone will figure out a way to exploit something like flight. Plus, the animation model doesn't presently exist and the devs can't just reskin something already in the game. They'd actually have to create something new.

I'l suggest them to fix already existing bugs and textures instead of adding new with flight :)
  • licenturion
    licenturion
    ✭✭✭
    Bethesda technology is pretty ancient and all the load screens prevent flying seamlessly across the world

Look at the newly Starfield. Even a game that touts exploration is a load screen extravaganza bonanza in cities and in the sky.

They need to redo all their tech if they want a true open world experience with flying etc.

I don’t think ESO needs flying though but I hope that new games have more modern technology behind it instead of another fork of creation engine.
    Edited by licenturion on December 31, 2023 10:53PM
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    In response to your update: platforming, enhanced traversal, grabbing ledges, sure, those would be fun to have. I miss the jumping puzzles from Guild Wars 2, and a wider array of tools for exploration coupled with environments that put those tools to use would be a great addition to the game. However, saying that the game feels "low speed high drag" makes me think that you might not be using your tools. Mounts can get completely ridiculous if you build for them and players have all sorts of tools to increase personal movement speed in skills and gear.

To be perfectly honest I think constantly rushing through or skipping ahead to the goal disconnects a player from the world. Flight and speed are immersion poison.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In response to your update: platforming, enhanced traversal, grabbing ledges, sure, those would be fun to have. I miss the jumping puzzles from Guild Wars 2, and a wider array of tools for exploration coupled with environments that put those tools to use would be a great addition to the game. However, saying that the game feels "low speed high drag" makes me think that you might not be using your tools. Mounts can get completely ridiculous if you build for them and players have all sorts of tools to increase personal movement speed in skills and gear.

To be perfectly honest I think constantly rushing through or skipping ahead to the goal disconnects a player from the world. Flight and speed are immersion poison.

Which is why WoW and FF XIV have processes to unlock flying more or less after you have completed the content for the chapter.
  • Cronopoly
    Cronopoly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want Vampiric Floating levitation, like one foot off the ground when walking or sprinting.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will NEVER happen, period. It is impossible on the outdated game engine, just as they cannot add underwater activities.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****