Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

The future of ESO - Flight

• Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gliding sure, Flying? Nah. Grappling and climbing? Sure. But again, flying? No.

This game, even jumping feels floaty and I have hardcore proof that horses trip on gravel launching you across the map to your death(the terrain didn't even load until well after said death), so I don't think flight would work too well.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESO does the Taco Bell method of creating new content; take old assets, reassemble them, and release it as new. I've killed the same bone colossus in several different levels of difficulty more times than I can count at this point. So I can't really see them releasing something like this, since it would require a lot of new assets that they're probably not willing to make.

There's also the issue with the system itself. ESO isn't built for verticality, and flight would break a lot of the game if it was implemented. The only way they'd do this is if they made a flight area a separate instance where moving up and down doesn't necessarily do anything, and you can go between zones with a landing animation that would probably take you to designated locations, and not wherever you want. Thus, not real flight like wow, but instead something more curated and less interesting, which I don't want.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    merpins wrote: »
    ESO does the Taco Bell method of creating new content; take old assets, reassemble them, and release it as new. I've killed the same bone colossus in several different levels of difficulty more times than I can count at this point. So I can't really see them releasing something like this, since it would require a lot of new assets that they're probably not willing to make.

There's also the issue with the system itself. ESO isn't built for verticality, and flight would break a lot of the game if it was implemented. The only way they'd do this is if they made a flight area a separate instance where moving up and down doesn't necessarily do anything, and you can go between zones with a landing animation that would probably take you to designated locations, and not wherever you want. Thus, not real flight like wow, but instead something more curated and less interesting, which I don't want.

Yep, same ingredients just reorganized and dressed differently. Perfect analogy there.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No parkour thankyou. I like the storylines of assassins creed but I hate the jumping/climbing/grappling etc
    Soupy twist
  • SerasWhip
    SerasWhip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flying would be the end of Cyrodiil pvp
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the limitations of the game engine, adding flight is dead in the water.
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fly over and really "bomb" the zergs. lol
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago they asked a couple Blizzard developers what their biggest mistake was and they both said Flight.

I would quit ESO forever if they so much as think about allowing flight.
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The devs have said - several times - that the current game engine does not allow for movement in the Z direction, which precludes things like flight and diving. Even the versions of diving we have in game (like at the end of Graven Deep) essentially are standard land movement, but then you have a bubble around you.

The game engine is also not one of those things they can just swap out for a new version. At this point, you're asking for ESO2, not an ESO update.

My thing about flight is: why? The TES universe hasn't included free flight since Morrowind, and they cut it because a lot of cities were their own worldspaces not connected to the main world. Things like Passwall were even removed back after Arena for trivializing dungeons. The TES universe also doesn't really include flying mounts, save for the very unique version of riding dragons in Skyrim, and even then it wasn't free flight so much as putting the camera on the back of a dragon and then fast travelling.

So, I have to ask, what's the benefit to adding flight, beyond "it looks cool!"? And I'd also say that "it makes it easier to travel over mountains" probably also doesn't count, considering that mountains and invisible walls are added for the specific reason of railroading terrain, so any potential addition of flight would likely also result in making those invisible walls higher so you still can't fly over a mountain and are instead forced to walk up the path. Especially in something like a dungeon or trial where someone with the flying mount could just jump right to the final boss - remember when people would got out of bounds in MoL to skip right to Rakkhat? I'm sure the devs would allow that...
    Edited by tomofhyrule on December 28, 2023 7:47PM
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe adding a pet crow to be your eyes would be interesting, but that would be too much like the eagle in Assassin's Creed.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t want flying in ESO, even without game engine limitations. While more limited levitation would be fun (not people whizzing all over the sky), the game would have to be designed for that.

The only type of flying mounts I like are in GW2 because they, like the other mounts, have different forms of motion — it’s not unlimited flying — so you have to think to get to where you want to go.
  • Ironside
    Ironside
    ✭✭✭
    This by far, the worst direction I could see this game going... and there are a lot of bad directions it could go. Good job for finding the worst.
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the appeal and the desire but ESO isn't that type of game. Nor should it be. There is certainly an argument for 'flight' in a single player ES setting. Via the return of Levitation spells, flying mounts like Griffins or becoming a WereVulture. But none of those things are common and I can't see how they fit as open flight options in the MMO that is ESO. Gliding, the illusion of flight is something I can see. But not open flight.

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if the game engine could handle flight, which from what I understand it doesn't, it isn't just a matter adding the third axis to movement. You also have all of the work needed to finish the artwork so it looks complete from the air. It will also require assigning values so the current holes in the map become accessible terrain. I also don't see it working well with how small some of the areas are. Flying will only make them appear smaller when you are no longer are forced to go around land features.

Even if flying is somehow eventually added I would expect it to be more along the lines of how FF XIV added flying. They did not go back to old areas to add flight. Instead it was only in new content that had been designed with flying in mind. I also feel a number of the flying mounts look silly when used in areas that don't support flight.

Overall I am ok with flying in MMOs but I don't think ESO is one of those that would adapt itself well to flight. Instead I think it would tend to accentuate the drawbacks of the game and not really improve a player's in-game QOL.
    Edited by Alinhbo_Tyaka on December 29, 2023 12:10AM
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭
    The future of ESO needs to be a remake with last gen consoles phased out. Animations, graphics, AI, etc.

@DirtyDeeds765
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    The future of ESO needs to be a remake with last gen consoles phased out. Animations, graphics, AI, etc.

@DirtyDeeds765

This I agree with. 10 years is a long time on the same engine.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • bruta
    bruta
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago they asked a couple Blizzard developers what their biggest mistake was and they both said Flight.

I would quit ESO forever if they so much as think about allowing flight.

and they weren't wrong, it's convenient and cool at first but on long term it sucks the open world "magic" ouf of the game.
    I would probably uninstall as well
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    God no
    uwu
  • duagloth
    duagloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, but I'll take parkour. Hell, mount riding isn't even done right in this game.
    Edited by duagloth on December 29, 2023 12:14PM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The servers have trouble handling the load sometimes as things currently stand. Flying mounts would never happen.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • MageCatF4F
    MageCatF4F
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do know flying (magic carpet style - to max altitude) is possible in housing instances (on PC)? What is special about housing instances?

Of course there are valid reasons it could not work to that degree in the overland. I would like a hovering magic carpet tho', with a little up-down motion like those senche-raht mounts, only less violent.

Scanning the thread I see most abhor the idea so whatever.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a hovering carpet - assuming it was done correctly. But when looking at most of the mounts and their movement/animations.... well....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. Just No. I was in WoW when they introduced flying. It was like riding your horse first day of ESO.

Painfully slow.
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭
    The devs have said - several times - that the current game engine does not allow for movement in the Z direction, which precludes things like flight and diving.

What about falling? Is this not moving in "the z direction"?

What about jumping?

What about the grappling hook?

Or getting kicked in the air by a meteor? After breaking free from the same meteor and technically being cc immune? And after all that you finally hear the sound of the meteor, and the damage hits you at a radom time...

What about all the times when my char flew all the way to the other end of Cyrodiil just for fun? Unable to do anything.

What about the cheat where people just fly away like a rocket? Or the cheat where someone was flying and shooting meteors like a spammable?

Flying in this game should be possible, no matter what anyone says. Same with underwater diving. If Super Mario on NES was able to do it almost 40 years ago, ESO should be able to do it too. Getting stuck at every little stone and twig, and dismounting every time i want to jump next to a farmable fly or talking NPC sucks. Yes, most of the flying enemies in this game look a little silly and get stuck in the air (or walls) sometimes. Maybe flying in this game would mean a lot of work, and maybe it would be hard to do it, but impossible? NO.

I have seen players fly in ESO plenty of times, and i want a flying mount, thanks!
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. There is a z-axis in the game which makes it 3d not 2d. The z-axis is used for height. It's basically the up and down on the 3d grid. While x and y are grounded left and right directions.

i8a8zpzwyiuj.png

Jumping, acrobatics, certain spell animations, falling, climbing, are all on the z-axis.
  • auz
    auz
    ✭✭✭✭

Edit: It seems flight may be an impossibility on ESO based on the comments. But perhaps at least platforming, enhanced traversal, grabbing ledges. As it is now it just feels so low speed high drag getting around the maps. Sorta outdated.

I think you have a better chance of getting flying than there is of pvp getting any love at all.
  • Megatto
    Megatto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll never happen. You want flying? Go play a different game.
    Remove loot boxes or riot
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it'd be cool, but I think there's no way in hell they will ever do this.

I simply don't think it's possible with how the game is put together.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Flight would make for some interesting cyrodill changes.

There would have to be a way to force people to ground, or shoot them out of the air. Because a group of 4 or 5 players could in current conditions just fly to the top of a keep, drop into the flags and capture without taking down any doors.

With out changes to account for flying incursions and player group bypass options flight would give then it would have to be banned in pvp.

Also, it would have to be banned in IC regardless of mechanical changes. Not unless they made the city larger than it is.