Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

New Life Decorations (Edited)

acastanza_ESO
acastanza_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I really enjoyed the decorating that ZOS did for the Witches Festival and was really hoping to see a new iteration for New Life. I'm sure its a not insubstantial amount of work but it really adds a nice festive touch to the game. Sad to see that it didn't end up happening. Hopefully ZOS will extend the decorating to other events next year.

Edit: After seeing your comments I went and took another look and you're right, they're there, at least on Wayshrines in main cities. The garlands are just really subtle on some of them and blended in with the surroundings a bit. Way less noticeable than the Witches Festival decorations, guess I was just hoping for more.
Edited by acastanza_ESO on December 22, 2023 12:11AM
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the wayshrines are decorated for the NLF. I saw one myself in Blackwood
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earlier this week when I was zoning into Leyawiin I briefly saw the decorations, they lasted a few seconds, and then disappeared. It’s kind of like how sometimes when a companion is summoned they are in their skivvies until their outfit shows up.
    Edited by Elvenheart on December 21, 2023 8:32PM
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yea there's decorations!
    just not every wayshrine.
    i believe it's the big towns like Daggerfall, Leyawiin, and Elden Root.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windhelm wayshrine has decor....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Personally, I play ESO to temporarily escape from real life (which I'm pretty unhappy with), so to see Earth decorations displayed in Nirn is a bit unsettling. I realise Christmas is a big deal to many people, but does it have to be shown in the game?

P.S. This is not an anti-Christmas or anti-religious post, by the way, I just happen to think that the game and real life should be separate, so please don't flame me for politely expressing an opinion. :(
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are definitely wonderful decorations in some areas. I first noticed them in one of my favourite inns (Kaladas Inn) and then on the Lleyawin wayshrine. A fantastic festive touch and much appreciated!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Personally, I play ESO to temporarily escape from real life (which I'm pretty unhappy with), so to see Earth decorations displayed in Nirn is a bit unsettling. I realise Christmas is a big deal to many people, but does it have to be shown in the game?

P.S. This is not an anti-Christmas or anti-religious post, by the way, I just happen to think that the game and real life should be separate, so please don't flame me for politely expressing an opinion. :(

New Life is part of the game and is decorated similar to Christmas since jump. Lots of things from Elder Scrolls have real world influences.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 23, 2023 1:36AM
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »

Many cultures have a solstice theme winter holiday. The sun retreating and then finally starting to return has been celebrated for thousands of years. The symbols for the most part are far older than Christianity. The evergreen symbolizes the hope of life returning in the spring, the bonfires are light in the darkest longest night.

I guess that doesn't really deal with that they are real life things, but it would be odd for a culture like the one represented in Nirn to not have something to mark the solitice.

Of course, the summer solstice should also be marked, but that celebration has been lost in general. I guess ancient peoples were more worried about starving and dying in the cold and dark rather than burning from the heat and endless day...

Sorry to hear real life is bad for you right now. I hope it gets better.
    Edited by MidniteOwl1913 on December 23, 2023 4:52AM
    PS5/NA
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I want to express my appreciation for the added decorations during both the Witches Festival and New Life events this year!

Second, I wanted to make a suggestion: Since New Life is celebrated in very different ways across Tamriel, wouldn’t it make sense for the traditional decorations to differ as well? While I don’t know the geographical history of the tradition and symbolism irl, it would make sense to me that the evergreen might be especially meaningful in lands where most trees are not, lands with long cold winters, like Skyrim. I would think tropical regions might have different symbols in celebrating the solstice and the New Year. And then there are considerations specific to Tamriel that should be important — surely the Bosmer of Valenwood wouldn’t use plant cuttings in their traditions and decorations!

I feel like this would make the event feel more immersive, a Tamriel holiday that does not look so strongly like one particular irl holiday, which likewise might be helpful and more inclusive for those with negative associations with that holiday or who celebrate other holidays. :)
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    Earlier this week when I was zoning into Leyawiin I briefly saw the decorations, they lasted a few seconds, and then disappeared. It’s kind of like how sometimes when a companion is summoned they are in their skivvies until their outfit shows up.

Oh I'm so glad its not just me! Gives me a hell of a fright when it happens. It's only Isobel, but i feel she would really hate it, and that makes it worse. Putting her into a costume seems to stop it.

I absolutely love the decorations. I love the change. It's weird living in a city that never ever ever ever changes, I was thrilled when I saw them in Alinor.
    Edited by Pelanora on December 27, 2023 9:29PM