Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

I think my horse needs a gear shifter??? QOL request...

ClowdyAllDay
ClowdyAllDay
✭✭✭
Because at 60 speed it's way fast, too fast sometime while the slow gear isn't fast enough. Playing on a gamepad it wold be nice if i could left joystick click for like one or two more gears. Like Start it at fastest speed like it is now but one click takes you to 2/3 max speed, another click to 1/3 speed, and another click to trotting speed. That would be awesome. PLease can we have some QOL improvement like that?
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    Also, this is my first post so Howdy! Hope you all are well.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I don't use mounts. I farm the entire time I'm out on any character. The mount/dismount/remount cycle is SO annoyiing I just don't use mounts any more.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    I hear you. It's just there can be time constraints while out collecting shards and shrines and books. fast horsey makes the pain much less while grinding. those skill points for crafting and whatnots.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I don't have to rush around for anything any more. I have lots of lowbies, but when I play them, I'm in no rush at all. I have all the time in the world, and since I don't do group content at all, I don't have any pressure.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, this would be a very useful change.

For now my "fix" is I don't go above 10% speed training on any of my characters, so their mounts aren't too fast, but it would be nice to have the option to max it out and then go slower when I want to.

I've played several games where you can tap the same button several times to cycle through different mount speeds. For example a horse would start off at a walk, then move through trot, canter and gallop, then go back to walk if you keep tapping the button.

For ESO it might make sense to start out with the maximum speed, because I think it would be more annoying to waste time (even a few seconds) speeding up when you just want to get to your destination as fast as possible than to spend a few seconds slowing down when you can afford to take your time.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You already have 3 speeds: Walking mode, Non-Sprint, Sprint.
    Gifted Rider CP to fine tune speed in +2% increments up to +10% and can respec to remove permanent major gallop if max speed is too high.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too wish the dismount, harvest, remount stuff was smoother. My horse-crazy elf refuses to not ride. That said, she spends much of her time riding at a walk. With all the speed stuff maxed on the horse, the walking speed is fine for her most of the time.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Arizona_Steve
    Arizona_Steve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ring of the Wild Hunt. Best thing for resource collecting.
    Wannabe Thalmor - Altmer MagSorc
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love a mount speed toggle where you can cycle through a finer range of mount speeds. The mounts in this game are actually capable of a wide range of different speeds and gaits, but the lack of ability to actually access those gaits is a major drawback. It would make the game much more immersive if we could toggle up and down a various range of speeds using a chooseable keyboard command.

My favorite mount speed for questing and simply riding around the game is the "walk" on the mount that you get when you have both the PVP mount buff + the CP speed buff. You get a really nice fast paced canter that is neither too slow nor too fast and is a nice realistic pace for riding.

I do love my PVP + CP mount speed buff for getting quickly to things like dragons/blazing across Cyro, but I'd really love the ability to toggle up and down a range of speeds for a more immersive experience that allows me to slow a mount without going into walk OR having to remove my PVP speed buff.

Again, it is absolutely possible to implement this because all of the animations are already there/the different ranges of speed are already existent in the game, all they have to do is add the ability to control and toggle through them for people on PC. (I've heard console can toggle these with a joystick, but not sure if this is true.)
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would also like to have that for reducing the characters walking speed to +-0 %, so that I can take a chill stroll, even with movement speed modifiers, instead of doing a light jog or a slow motion sprint.
    Of course that can be removed in combat.
    Edited by Vaqual on December 21, 2023 4:29PM
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    You already have 3 speeds: Walking mode, Non-Sprint, Sprint.
    Gifted Rider CP to fine tune speed in +2% increments up to +10% and can respec to remove permanent major gallop if max speed is too high.

THat's an interesting work around and surely you are right, I'm just seeking a qol improvement to make it as simple as clicking that stick is all.
  • Ezhh
    Ezhh
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main issue is that while I want all the upgrades, because when I ride most of the time I want to go FAST, sometimes I want to WALK while mounted, but instead of getting an actual walking mount, they often do a very weird slowmotion run instead, since I am apparently still over whatever threshold is needed for the run animation even while walking....

Interesting it doesn't happen with all mount types. It is happening with senche mounts for me but not with wolves.
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    ahahahahahahaha