Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Please, nerf the Watcher hidden area in EA

Rishikesa108
Rishikesa108
✭✭✭✭✭
... or push up the player skills as watcher... It is so difficult, ever and ever, also after many many times that I do this area. We have so weak skills, zombies are too many, tomeshells also escape, and they run backwards, so if you turn around you run into the chasing zombies !!! And we have also tentacles: if one tentacle simply touch you, you die! And we have also vortices, that could also kill you. We have so few defenses and such weak offenses, it's really unequal !!!!
Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a difficult area if you learn how to do it. Keep dropping ink(5), use the speed boost(3) when it is up. Do NOT go past active tentacles, even if you think there is room. If you are waiting and think you may get caught, turn and use the stun(4) on them.

Remember that the book dies at the end of the damage skill(1), cast it a little early. Had issues initially, but just free money now.
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got to 2/5 in that one and now I just auto-exit when it pops. I'm a below average player sure, but I play for fun, not to frustrate myself. I still need to kill the final rendition of the theater of war boss and I'm 4/5 with the ghost lights too. Some things though, I have come to realize, are not for me to even bother with.

Edit: missing comma
    Edited by Toxic_Hemlock on December 16, 2023 2:41PM
  • Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would oppose this and think it's perfectly okay for something to not be achieveable the first time(s) you try it. Sarannah's strategy sounds like it could help you out; I'll add that not rushing helped me a lot too, you make bad decisions when you're trying to go too quickly. You could also try it with a partner, the number of books is increased, but you can travel around together and res one another (you can even employ strategic deaths, when your health is low anyway, deliberately get killed so your mate can res you and you'll be back to full health). Use the CC abilities as much as you can (numbers 4 and 5), save speed boosts (3) for when you need to get past a tentacle or booknado and can't wait because there's zombies on your 6.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got to 2/5 in that one and now I just auto-exit when it pops.

How do you auto-exit? I always groan when I get this one and would love to just return to the archive, but I don't know how to do that.

• AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »

healing from health recovery in watcher form?
    since when?
    cuz every single run i've done of them, ya get hurt, ya hp stays down no matter how long you wait

I always can heal passively as a watcher when wearing sithis + slotting cp that grants recovery for your ult. It's reduced greatly still
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a lot of trouble with this one myself, but following some of the tips and some practice I was able to get the achievement.
  • Holmarion19
    Holmarion19
    ✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »

How do you auto-exit? I always groan when I get this one and would love to just return to the archive, but I don't know how to do that.

The minute you tp in turn round to the portal which appears behind you and go through it. It can take a few seconds to tp out so after activating the portal just stand still and wait.
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »

The minute you tp in turn round to the portal which appears behind you and go through it. It can take a few seconds to tp out so after activating the portal just stand still and wait.

Just don't panic when you are not teleported out immediately after using the portal behind you. For a short period of time it will look like you are stuck in a broken instance (the barriers and NPCs will disappear), but eventually you will be sucked into the floor and teleported back to continue with the archive.

I do this every time I get this side activity after completing 5/5. It's so not fun for me.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I'll try that next time. :smile:

• AlCiao
    AlCiao
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I'm not a skilled player. I have issues with coordination, vision, and reflexes. I have a setup (skill bars and sets) that work for me, but that all goes out when the window when I'm faced with a completely different set of skills, with no way to heal, in an area with multiple swarming mobs and area traps (including mobile area traps).

I managed to get the first two levels of the achievement after I actually figured out what to do, but the 3rd level is too punishing. I try to rush, I run into things and die. I try to take it slowly, zombies swarm me while I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I've basically stopped taking the Portals to the Unknown. I've completely finished the one where you walk across the slime tentacle pit as well as the goat one, but the others I'm stuck at 2/5 to 4/5 in, and I'm not having much luck. Which is a shame, because I would love to get the benefits from the vendor that requires those achievements.

While the Watcher one is the one I have the most trouble with, there are some general issues with the Portals to the Unknown in general.

1. It's difficult to practice these, because unlike normal content, you can't simply run the content immediately afterwards to get better at it. Instead, it's completely random. Two levels of random in fact: first it's random whether you get a portal to the unknown at all, and then it's random which portal you get.

2. Other than the arena fight, you're given entirely new mechanics to play with. I didn't sign up to play goofy minigames, I signed up to play an action RPG.

None of these would be so bad if they weren't gating extremely useful perks. Even more frustratingly, the Watcher puzzle - aka the one that is arguably the most difficult - is also the one that gates the perk I want most.
  • Ringeren
    Ringeren
    ✭✭
    I agree that this area is the hardest, slightly above the duel, but don't you dare gimp it. Except maybe make the stun an aoe because turning around to face zombies is awkward sometimes. And the goat and tentacle corridors are so easy it's free loot, so it balances out.

Ever since the thief guild heists and dark brotherhood version i have longed for more content that you can actually fail in this game.
  • AlCiao
    AlCiao
    ✭✭✭
    Ringeren wrote: »
    I agree that this area is the hardest, slightly above the duel, but don't you dare gimp it. Except maybe make the stun an aoe because turning around to face zombies is awkward sometimes. And the goat and tentacle corridors are so easy it's free loot, so it balances out.

Ever since the thief guild heists and dark brotherhood version i have longed for more content that you can actually fail in this game.

The TG and DB quests aren't gating extremely useful perks, and you can try again more or less at will (a different day, a different character), instead of rolling the dice as to when you can even get a chance to try again.
  • mantrax3
    mantrax3
    Soul Shriven
    ... or push up the player skills as watcher... It is so difficult, ever and ever, also after many many times that I do this area. We have so weak skills, zombies are too many, tomeshells also escape, and they run backwards, so if you turn around you run into the chasing zombies !!! And we have also tentacles: if one tentacle simply touch you, you die! And we have also vortices, that could also kill you. We have so few defenses and such weak offenses, it's really unequal !!!!

I agree completely. I managed to finish it very few times
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    the watcher one is one of the easier ones, once you get a handle on the watcher skills

the most annoying one for me is the corridor one with switches, that one i plain do not do if im solo, if im duo ill do it though because its significantly easier in duo
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the watcher one is one of the easier ones, once you get a handle on the watcher skills

the most annoying one for me is the corridor one with switches, that one i plain do not do if im solo, if im duo ill do it though because its significantly easier in duo

Someone else posted that to do this solo they click the switches for the first 2 closest clear spots then the rest randomly and run through it fast. I do this too now and it works almost every time, unless I mess something up. I also do this when in a duo and don't have to click all the switches for it to work if the runner is fast.
    PCNA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Someone else posted that to do this solo they click the switches for the first 2 closest clear spots then the rest randomly and run through it fast. I do this too now and it works almost every time, unless I mess something up. I also do this when in a duo and don't have to click all the switches for it to work if the runner is fast.

i still find that one too annoying to bother with lol, and for when im in a duo i have all of the different switch combinations ive encountered written down (about 8 different ones now) and just type them into chat so its easy for the switch person to hit them and the runner to run

the other minigames i dont even have to think about and can do pretty easily
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i still find that one too annoying to bother with lol, and for when im in a duo i have all of the different switch combinations ive encountered written down (about 8 different ones now) and just type them into chat so its easy for the switch person to hit them and the runner to run

I have trouble with all of them except the dueling one which was very easy for me.

The goat one is particularly annoying as everytime I "turn and fight" he kills me before anything fires off.

For the race one I never make it past the middle even with ring of the wild hunt and a speed potion.

The Ghostlight also I seem to be just a bit too slow.

The watcher one I just ignore.
    PS5/NA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I have trouble with all of them except the dueling one which was very easy for me.

The goat one is particularly annoying as everytime I "turn and fight" he kills me before anything fires off.

For the race one I never make it past the middle even with ring of the wild hunt and a speed potion.

i find the goat one to be the most enjoyable

the "charge" ultimate from the goat has a range of 100 meters, so you can practically use it anywhere as long as you can put a targeting reticle on the butcher, you dont have to even be remotely close and you can "fly" 2/3 of the way across the area to slap the butcher

the ghostlight one im sometimes just a little slow, but it really depends on how spazzy those lights want to be, sometimes they follow pretty smooth and other times they will bolt off for no random reason even when im almost standing still
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's my favorite one too!

The one I never do solo any more is the Theater of War one. It's right up there with the Tomeshells as the most annoying to me.
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The goat one after you eat the last sweet roll continue running away for a little bit. Until you got some decent distance and he's a bit away from you and straight ahead rather than an incline. And then use the ultimate as a leap. I did beat this before learning it by just being faster but it's actually way too difficult that way. Essentially must catch him mid oil animation. Just get some distance and this one becomes even easier than the duel.

For the race one, don't click anything at first. Just look at the white part that is highlighted. Once you know where the first one is and the last one, make sure that as you throw the switches the first one is the first one you hit and the last one is the last to be flipped. Quickly flip the rest at random. Then use speed skills to get through it. I almost never lose this one now.

Ghost lights, walk backwards. Initially hold block next to a light to make it easier to make your character move backwards. Once it's moving backwards just gather the ghost lights by walking backwards. The lights are much less likely to reset if you do it this way.

The Watcher portal use the speed skill to get past tentacles and spam the oil on cool down. Don't turn around to stun unless you 100% can't help it. It's better to loop back around to than to do a way 180. If you must do a 180, use your stun and then your speed skill.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 18, 2023 8:52PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The one I never do solo any more is the Theater of War one. It's right up there with the Tomeshells as the most annoying to me.

i find that one annoying too, though not for difficulty, but just because that arcanist NPC is constantly shielding, and its very slow to deal with because you have no verse/vision buffs while your in the bonus activity especially if your running a tank spec
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i find that one annoying too, though not for difficulty, but just because that arcanist NPC is constantly shielding, and its very slow to deal with because you have no verse/vision buffs while your in the bonus activity especially if your running a tank spec

I think she maybe shields less if I don't attack her at all in that phase and focus on her friends.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 18, 2023 8:54PM
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

The goat one after you eat the last sweet roll continue running away for a little bit. Until you got some decent distance and he's a bit away from you and straight ahead rather than an incline. And then use the ultimate as a leap. I did beat this before learning it by just being faster but it's actually way too difficult that way. Essentially must catch him mid oil animation. Just get some distance and this one becomes even easier than the duel.

For the race one, don't click anything at first. Just look at the white part that is highlighted. Once you know where the first one is and the last one, make sure that as you throw the switches the first one is the first one you hit and the last one is the last to be flipped. Quickly flip the rest at random. Then use speed skills to get through it. I almost never lose this one now.

Ghost lights, walk backwards. Initially hold block next to a light to make it easier to make your character move backwards. Once it's moving backwards just gather the ghost lights by walking backwards. The lights are much less likely to reset if you do it this way.

The Watcher portal use the speed skill to get past tentacles and spam the oil on cool down. Don't turn around to stun unless you 100% can't help it. It's better to loop back around to than to do a way 180. If you must do a 180, use your stun and then your speed skill.

Yeah I tried running away from the butcher but he always seems right behind me. I can't move any faster so I'm not sure what to do.

ANd the running one I have tried just picking the first ones and then clicking the rest and running, and I never make it past the middle. I'm not even close. I also have celerity slotted and am considering Adept Rider in medium. Right now I'm on my tanky heavy armour build. If that doesn't work maybe I'll try group finder asking for help with the games. I'm pretty sure I can carry someone thru the first arc with little problems.

PS5/NA