Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Whoa, did they forget to... SAVE MY GAME?

mountaintree
Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Here's the scenario: I am plugging away at the starting level quests and loving life, exploring the countryside of Daggerfall, when I and a bunch of other PCs stumble upon a rare monster. Being the understanding folks we all are, we killed the angry monster and looted its corpse. I found some incredible gear and got a heap of experience for my victory, enough to level me up. So, I continued on my way for another five minutes or so, when I was booted from the game with an "Unknown Error."

I shrugged, and logged in again. But when I loaded my character, it was as if I had forgotten to save my game a half hour ago! I was bumped down to the previous level, and that sweet gear I looted was no longer in my inventory. I had to explore around and pick up a few quests all over again, but I never did find that rare monster again.

So, let me know if you have had a similar experience. I'm guessing this was an issue brought on by latency; there has been a lot of NA server latency over the past day or so, even after the recent server restart. But still, I would be interested to see if I'm the only person who has had this happen.
Edited by mountaintree on April 2, 2014 1:26PM
  • gourdo126b14a_ESO
    That happened to me once when I played SWTOR. Not much to be done about it. I just replayed and it never happened again. If it keeps happening then you might have a problem.
  • mountaintree
    That happened to me once when I played SWTOR. Not much to be done about it. I just replayed and it never happened again. If it keeps happening then you might have a problem.

Has it happened to you in ESO?
  • Scootter
    Scootter
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me 3 times since launch. Very frustrating. Best thing you can do is submit a /bug report with as much detail as possible.
  • Novarre
    Novarre
    Happened once in ESO for me so far, about 10 minutes worth of game play, was luckier than the OP as I was just traveling from A to be B in those 10 minutes.
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Twice for me so far. Thankfully only minor losses in exploration/exp, no major loot lost, and about 10-15 minute rollbacks each time.
  • julioub17_ESO3
    julioub17_ESO3
    Soul Shriven
    a few times with me already. every 20-30mins i get booted from game, with "unknown error" message... Internet here working fine. the most annoying thing its the Rollback on my char... lost a few loots already :(
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had it happen to me, but last night my buddy lost a couple hours of gameplay due to this bug. I'm sure it's one they're addressing with this down time. I hope.
  • mountaintree
    Eorea wrote: »
    I haven't had it happen to me, but last night my buddy lost a couple hours of gameplay due to this bug. I'm sure it's one they're addressing with this down time. I hope.

Wow, a couple of hours! That happened to me in Skyrim before, but that was my own fault for forgetting to save the game. ESO should be saved instantly. I definitely think server latency must be at work, but it seems like there should be some kind of redundancy in place on ESO's end that protects character progression. And yes, I hope when the server comes back up it will be improved.
  • mountaintree
    This has happened to me 3 times since launch. Very frustrating. Best thing you can do is submit a /bug report with as much detail as possible.

Definitely submitted a bug report when it happened, and I will post here with the official word once (if?) I hear back. You should do the same!
  • Cannyone
    Cannyone
    Eorea wrote: »

While it seems to be related. The most likely cause for the downtime is not to fix the Unknown Error issue. Still one can only hope that the changes they make in the upcoming patch will have other positive effects.
  • Scootter
    Scootter
    ✭✭✭

Definitely submitted a bug report when it happened, and I will post here with the official word once (if?) I hear back. You should do the same!

For sure, I already did. Something I did notice one of the times is that the error happened right as a Dark Fissure popped open in front of me. Did anyone here notice if a Dark Fissure or Dark Anchor dropped when you got booted out?
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most mmos autosave like every 10m for rollback purposes