Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Endless Archive: Please let us save!

Skoomah
Skoomah
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Went in duo with a buddy last night. Smooth run to Arc 4 with 4 lives left. We were about two hours deep and had to stop to go to bed. ZOS, please give us the ability to save so we can truly test our limits in this place.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leaderboards aside, I think that they are concerned that adding a save function might be a difficult coding task. It's a 10-year-old code base with all the corner cases, race conditions, and difficult-to-find bugs that entails.

I hope they add one. It didn't really make sense to release it without it, expect perhaps for the inherent difficulty.

I don't know if they will, I do know that it limits my use of it until they do.
    PS5/NA
  • fall0athboy
    fall0athboy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leaderboards aside, I think that they are concerned that adding a save function might be a difficult coding task. It's a 10-year-old code base with all the corner cases, race conditions, and difficult-to-find bugs that entails.

I hope they add one. It didn't really make sense to release it without it, expect perhaps for the inherent difficulty.

You can save your progress in the other arenas in game by accepting the daily quest. Just give a daily progression quest that you can turn it at any point, and maybe it has a hard limit of like, Arc 20.
  • Elric_665
    Elric_665
    ✭✭✭
    Agree
    "If it bleeds, we can kill it!"
    Major „Dutch“ Schaefer

PvP nur, wenn es sich absolut nicht vermeiden läßt.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also agree
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes please we need that

i really do not need a leaderboard score, i don't get anything for the scores i get anyways.
    and three threads is way too few.
    Edited by LunaFlora on December 8, 2023 4:35PM
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You can save your progress in the other arenas in game by accepting the daily quest. Just give a daily progression quest that you can turn it at any point, and maybe it has a hard limit of like, Arc 20.

there already is a daily quest, for just clearing arc 1

this type of game mode the instance is not meant to be saved, and how do you save it if you have 2 players in the group? blackrose prison and dragonstar do not have saves either, and are 4 player arenas
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this type of game mode the instance is not meant to be saved, and how do you save it if you have 2 players in the group? blackrose prison and dragonstar do not have saves either, and are 4 player arenas

I don't want to have to waste hours and hours of my life just to keep someone from getting a monolith of the storms belt that they could have gotten by beating lower levels anyway.

If they aren't on the leaderboard, what unique thing would they even get jumping in? Nothing
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

I don't want to have to waste hours and hours of my life just to keep someone from getting a monolith of the storms belt that they could have gotten by beating lower levels anyway.

If they aren't on the leaderboard, what unique thing would they even get jumping in? Nothing

i would support just skipping arcs to a higher starting arc, but in pretty much every "survivor" style game ive played that is similar to this there is no saving, you go until you die or quit

the main difference between the archive and those other games is the archive progression is much slower overall, personally i would actually support even dropping 1 additional add stage (so that each cycle is trash->boss)

they already reduced that once (it used to be 3 trash stages before the 1 boss stage for 1 cycle, but they removed 1 trash stage to where we are now)

i dont really see the point in 2 trash stages when they only give verses which only last for 1 stage anyway

if you cut 1 trash stage out, then it would be 4 less stages per arc, which as you get further would save 20 minutes or more per arc (it would also speed up the earlier arcs too, could probably shave 5-15 minutes off arc 1 depending on if your tank or dps build)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭
    EA is so not my thing...I mean it's sorta like a wave shooter....it's never going to be for players like me that value story/immersion etc...

But a lot of folks like it...why kneecap those happy players by not allowing any form of save just for a breather before they can move on...that's just ridiculous. Players are finding ways around it...I have a couple friends who are roommates that are switching off on each others accounts...I mean it 's not like things like that can be stopped....so much for pure leaderboards...

Give folks a save...it literally hurts no one.
    Edited by Warhawke_80 on December 8, 2023 5:34PM
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i would support just skipping arcs to a higher starting arc, but in pretty much every "survivor" style game ive played that is similar to this there is no saving, you go until you die or quit

the main difference between the archive and those other games is the archive progression is much slower overall, personally i would actually support even dropping 1 additional add stage (so that each cycle is trash->boss)

they already reduced that once (it used to be 3 trash stages before the 1 boss stage for 1 cycle, but they removed 1 trash stage to where we are now)

i dont really see the point in 2 trash stages when they only give verses which only last for 1 stage anyway

if you cut 1 trash stage out, then it would be 4 less stages per arc, which as you get further would save 20 minutes or more per arc (it would also speed up the earlier arcs too, could probably shave 5-15 minutes off arc 1 depending on if your tank or dps build)

I just don't agree that a side mode in an MMO needs to work the same as a dedicated game. It ramps up slower for good reason (I'd also happily remove a stage tbh).

And when I look at what is being gate kept....

It's literally nothing. Like everything can be had in the first few arcs.

The big prize is the set pieces and they are not even good and don't require getting far.

It makes so much more sense for this game, with it's absolutely massive gap between top and bottom, to have a save. So that people at the top don't need to throw away hours every time just so the lower power end of the playerbase can have content too.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 8, 2023 5:42PM
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they will, question is just when.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I just don't agree that a side mode in an MMO needs to work the same as a dedicated game. It ramps up slower for good reason (I'd also happily remove a stage tbh).

And when I look at what is being gate kept....

It's literally nothing. Like everything can be had in the first few arcs.

The big prize is the set pieces and they are not even good and don't require getting far.

It makes so much more sense for this game, with it's absolutely massive gap between top and bottom, to have a save. So that people at the top don't need to throw away hours every time just so the lower power end of the playerbase can have content too.

if your not scored on the leaderboard, theres no reason to push past arc 4 really, it just becomes more and more of a slog because everything just gets more an more health

eventually it will hit a point where unless your running a perma magma shell build you wont be able to continue anyway

like you said, you an get all of the gear drops just clearing arc 2 (even if you dont kill arc 2 marauder you get 1 armor and 1 weapon/jewelry from arc 1 and 2)

there is no additional drops in later arcs, you get more archive currency (which theres already limited things to buy with it anyway) and maybe a slightly higher chance to get furnishing blueprints/leads from the bonus areas (i know its only anecdotal but in my experience the drops for furnishings and leads increase in chance as you progress further arcs)

like you said, there is no real gains from progression, so i dont see why save should matter

if your running a full on dps build, it takes an hour to clear arc 3 (though arc 4 will get hard because of incoming dmg) (on a full tank build + another player on a full dps build, it takes approx 1 hour 45 min to 2 hours 15 min to clear arc 4, the time variance is again heavily dependent on verses/visions)

if your running a tank build of course its going to be slow unless your lucky with visions/verses (i wouldnt even recommend running a full on tank build until at least arc 3 anyway)

aside from cutting a stage, the way i would implement it if a person wants to skip ahead is pay some amount of archive fortunes to start at a specific arc, and you are given vision selections based on what you skipped, so you can pick up where you left off more or less (might have different visions) at some kind of cost of archive fortunes
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    like you said, there is no real gains from progression, so i dont see why save should matter

Saves matter because not everyone cares about getting exclusive loot. This game has lacked challenging and varied duo content for the entirety of it's existence, and only has 2 single player arenas both of which are static and old. People have argued for difficulty sliders or separate instances in the overland passionately for years because of the lack of things to do. Much of the content is balanced around the lowest end of the power spectrum.

Not to mention that the basic human need and/or desire for things like breaks without losing all progress.

There's no exclusive rewards that would be cheapened by a save. So there's no real good reason not to have them.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 8, 2023 6:19PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Saves matter because not everyone cares about getting exclusive loot. This game has lacked challenging and varied duo content for the entirety of it's existence, and only has 2 single player arenas both of which are static and old. People have argued for difficulty sliders or separate instances in the overland passionately for years because of the lack of things to do. Much of the content is balanced around the lowest end of the power spectrum.

Not to mention that the basic human need and/or desire for things like breaks without losing all progress.

There's no exclusive rewards that would be cheapened by a save. So there's no real good reason not to have them.

im not saying that a save would cheapen the rewards, im saying there is no real reward for progressing past arc 4 unless you want the challenge, that is the only reward is the challenge + additional archive currency

thats why i dont really see the point in saving, ive had runs up to arc 9 and 10 and everything after arc 4 feels the same, just harder/more of a slog (trash mobs in arc 10 have 2.1 million health, thats more than the avg world boss and 90% of your dmg is coming from verses and visions at that point), but you dont get a lot in the ways of drops (trash stages drop nothing as is), the only real bonus is the additional currency gains on late arcs
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

im not saying that a save would cheapen the rewards, im saying there is no real reward for progressing past arc 4 unless you want the challenge, that is the only reward is the challenge + additional archive currency

thats why i dont really see the point in saving, ive had runs up to arc 9 and 10 and everything after arc 4 feels the same, just harder/more of a slog (trash mobs in arc 10 have 2.1 million health, thats more than the avg world boss and 90% of your dmg is coming from verses and visions at that point), but you dont get a lot in the ways of drops (trash stages drop nothing as is), the only real bonus is the additional currency gains on late arcs

The challenge is the reward. That's the point of saving.
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭

But isn't part of the challenge the endurance? If you take away part of the challenge isn't the reward lessened? Look at this like a marathon, are you going to feel satisfied completing all 26.2 if you do 20 one day and then 6.2 the next? They didn't add in a save, whether by oversight or by design, but regardless of that consideration, it's part of the challenge, a save takes part of that unique challenge away.
    Antiquities Addict
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

even if they implemented saving, you come back, and proceed to lose all of your lives in a matter of minutes because of the difficulty your on

you still have to re-run the entire archive at that point anyway

thats why i dont see saving to matter much, but arc-skipping mechanic would be a much faster, repeatable way to deal with it

if your only looking for challenge, saving is not the answer, because you could theoretically come back and lose all your threads in minutes even after the hours work you spent getting to that point before, and then have to rerun anyway because you lost your threads
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »

But isn't part of the challenge the endurance? If you take away part of the challenge isn't the reward lessened? Look at this like a marathon, are you going to feel satisfied completing all 26.2 if you do 20 one day and then 6.2 the next? They didn't add in a save, whether by oversight or by design, but regardless of that consideration, it's part of the challenge, a save takes part of that unique challenge away.

No. Arc 1 and 2 are boring. And having to slog through them every time is a main reason that I don't do endless Archive more often.

The other day I lost a run that was going well because my pizza came to the door. If this were a single player game or one with a save, that wouldn't be a reason a run ended.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats why i dont see saving to matter much, but arc-skipping mechanic would be a much faster, repeatable way to deal with it

hpyn4xed143d.gif
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 8, 2023 6:51PM
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Arc 1 and 2 are boring. And having to slog through them every time is a main reason that I don't do endless Archive more often.

The other day I lost a run that was going well because my pizza came to the door. If this were a single player game or one with a save, that wouldn't be a reason a run ended.

I'm sure marathon runners feel the same way about the first 10 miles, but it's part of the run.

I highly doubt it took you so long to get your pizza from the door that your game timed out and you lost your run. I've literally stood up, cooked breakfast, and came back to continue my run. The auto-log out feature is extremely generous on PC in the Archive, maybe it's different on your platform of choice, but I've taken plenty of extended, but not too extended breaks running EA.
    Antiquities Addict
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »

I'm sure marathon runners feel the same way about the first 10 miles, but it's part of the run.

I highly doubt it took you so long to get your pizza from the door that your game timed out and you lost your run. I've literally stood up, cooked breakfast, and came back to continue my run. The auto-log out feature is extremely generous on PC in the Archive, maybe it's different on your platform of choice, but I've taken plenty of extended, but not too extended breaks running EA.

I came back just as it timed out. There's no reason to make people waste their time on the first couple of arcs. They are boring and dull and not at all equivalent to running a marathon.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 8, 2023 6:56PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    if we had an arc skip mechanic, there would literally be no reason to have a save

you timed out and instance reset, go back in skip back to say the arc you were on (example: start of arc 5), you might not have quite the same visions but if all you want is challenge, thats where it is

the most ideal to improve speed to get back to the harder content would be arc-skips and/or removing 1 more trash stage from each cycle
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭

Yep that is the way things are "Exclusiveness" really means nothing, folks can buy carries through the hardest content or they can double or even triple team EA...the guy posing in Daggerfall... did he actually earn that Draugrkin set or did he buy the carry?

I mean ZoS could start really cracking down on things like that....but I really don't think they will so in the end trying hard means little....they might as well give EA a save.

Edited by Warhawke_80 on December 8, 2023 7:11PM
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if we had an arc skip mechanic, there would literally be no reason to have a save

you timed out and instance reset, go back in skip back to say the arc you were on (example: start of arc 5), you might not have quite the same visions but if all you want is challenge, thats where it is

the most ideal to improve speed to get back to the harder content would be arc-skips and/or removing 1 more trash stage from each cycle

The content is designed to be challenging even with the visions though. A skip wouldn't allow for that.

Edit

Also a save would allow you take on the same boss again later. So if someone is struggling with a particular boss, they don't gotta count purely on RNG to try and learn it when they're in a better state of mind.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 8, 2023 7:20PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep that is the way things are "Exclusiveness" really means nothing, folks can buy carries through the hardest content or they can double or even triple team EA...the guy posing in Daggerfall... did he actually earn that Draugrkin set or did he buy the carry?

I mean ZoS could start really cracking down on things like that....but I really don't think they will so in the end trying hard means little....they might as well give EA a save.

Yeah, all the usual reasons not to have one don't apply.

If an idea has literally no downsides, but would greatly improve the playability, healthiness, and QOL of the customer. I don't see a reason to not do that idea.

They already have the tech for it too, as save with an exclusion from the leaderboards is already part of Maelstrom Arena.
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add an OPTIONAL save - but yes, PLEASE ZOS.

My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>possibility to dye barding

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, all the usual reasons not to have one don't apply.

If an idea has literally no downsides, but would greatly improve the playability, healthiness, and QOL of the customer. I don't see a reason to not do that idea.

They already have the tech for it too, as save with an exclusion from the leaderboards is already part of Maelstrom Arena.

Yeah.... I think ZoS kinda let the genie out of the bottle when they were more than cool with streamers bragging about selling carries. I got into a pretty good debate with a guildmate who thought that if the devs would crack down on that they could return a lot of "faithfulness" (may not be the right word..) to the game....but after years of allowing carries does anyone really care anymore? Especially when you can buy the coolest looking (not power but the coolest looking) stuff in the shop to begin with....

I dunno I keep coming back to this because I just don't see the devs logic in this and that is kinda rare for me because I usually can....again I don't have a dog in this fight...but it all seems illogical to me

Edited by Warhawke_80 on December 8, 2023 7:31PM