Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Can we do better when introducing sets?

Brakkish
Brakkish
✭✭✭✭
Surely I'm not the only one who sees a strong comparison between the two pictures below.

9loxhlvthgey.png

mki517j66173.png

Stop the madness!

Edited by Brakkish on December 7, 2023 10:13PM
CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All they had to do was give it major toughness IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO GOOD.
    #stillmad
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't used this but it seems like two mechanics to me: over-healing for Spring and healing while Bracing for Fall.
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    <snip>

If you deal critical damage on a Morndas when both moons are full, then after three light attacks you gain a stack of skeever poop. Each stack can persist for twelve seconds. Once you have three stacks you can throw a tainted mudball at your foe dealing 300 damage per second for four seconds and inflicting them with minor defile - reducing their healing taken by 8% for six seconds. . . .

lol This is awesome - and captures the sentiment precisely :D
    CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, none of the EA set's look really compelling except the DK set. All the others - seem like they could be interesting - maybe - especially the monolith of storms, but from what I see in everyone's attempts to make them useful, they all seem very underwhelming.

Its sad, but is what it is. It seems the only reasons to run the EA are for prove your mettle endurance runs or to fill out your overland set collections
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you deal damage with Light Attacks 3 times you gain 1 stack of Skeever Poop. Each stack can persist for 12 seconds. Once you have three stacks you can throw a Tainted Mudball at an enemy dealing 1200 Poison damage over 4 seconds and inflicting them with Minor Defile, reducing their Healing taken by 8% for 6 seconds. This damage scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

This actually sounds like a fully fleshed out set bonus to me.
    Edited by Kisakee on December 8, 2023 4:17PM
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narrator "And this is where the set Vermin's Revenge was born"
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • Trader- Tamriel Trade Secrets
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narrator "And this is where the set Vermin's Revenge was born"

It would be so funny if they turn this into a real one without telling anyone in before.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Red dragons are wild on even-numbered hands.
    - Once a night, a player can change the suit of one of his cards.
    - Every five hands, the sequence of cards is reversed, so the low cards are high and vice versa.
    - Once a four-of-a-kind is played, that card value is dead and treated as a blank card.
    - If there's a ten showing in the first two face-up cards in each hand, then sevens will be dead (Unless there is a second ten showing, then it cancels the first).
    - If the first card turned face up in a round is an Ogre, the round will be played with an extra hole card, four face up and five face down.

Good game-makers respect Robert Asprin
    PC EU
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dear god, to the content creator that made that monstrosity…..

If I need differential equations to understand how a set works, it’ll be a hard pass for me.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Twelve.

Jane is twelve. Sam is eight
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What does this have to do with sets though? Khajiit is confused. Did Jane have a 5 piece bonus?
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Take care, this set's effects become null when Mercury is in retrograde.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP. If the #5 perk is more than one short simple, concise sentence, I roll my eyes and ignore the set.

If you deal critical damage on a Morndas when both moons are full, then after three light attacks you gain a stack of skeever poop. Each stack can persist for twelve seconds. Once you have three stacks you can throw a tainted mudball at your foe dealing 300 damage per second for four seconds and inflicting them with minor defile - reducing their healing taken by 8% for six seconds. . . .

Yeaaap. Don't get me wrong, I get why they have to be so precise to explain the mechanics fully and explicitly (and sometimes they still fail at that) but it's pretty obvious whoever has taken over the set creation over the last few years loves magic the gathering. No wonder they added their own card game to ESO. I swear every time I see the words 'gain a stack' I just let out a loud exasperated sigh. Stack of skeever poop, indeed.
    Edited by Sluggy on December 9, 2023 1:11PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find nothing wrong with the description.

Yes, it does take longer to unpack it, but sets with complicated benefits need to exist, and the description needs to describe it so I can get it in one read.

If I want a simple set, I can always use Law of Julianos. :smile:

As for why complicated set bonuses... seems obvious that they have to have them because they roll out a lot of new sets every year and they have to be different. Eventually, they will slow down or stop rolling out new sets, though. This path is one of diminishing returns. It will be interesting to see what they do after.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Yes, it does take longer to unpack it, but sets with complicated benefits need to exist, and the description needs to describe it so I can get it in one read.

As for why complicated set bonuses... seems obvious that they have to have them because they roll out a lot of new sets every year and they have to be different. Eventually, they will slow down or stop rolling out new sets, though. This path is one of diminishing returns. It will be interesting to see what they do after.

It didn't have to be complicated. It could have been major toughness.
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭

But how much more complicated can we expect them to get? I don’t actually see a time when ZoS stops coming out with new sets every expansion. It would eliminate the grind. They have to keep changing the meta or else no one will bother doing the dungeons.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not much more the developers of Elder Scrolls Online can do about the set information screen without moving critical information about the set that players need to know.
    174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If Major Toughness stuck to the usual formula it would be +20% Max Health.

I think that would go over quite poorly in PvP where you already have significant complaints regarding survivability specifically with regards to Warden's Polar Wind which scales with Max Health.
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If Major Toughness stuck to the usual formula it would be +20% Max Health.

I think that would go over quite poorly in PvP where you already have significant complaints regarding survivability specifically with regards to Warden's Polar Wind which scales with Max Health.

They complain anyways.

It would have been magnificent.
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I love the fact that 99% of ESO content is gramatically correct (a commendable feat and something that makes ESO stand out), which makes it pleasant and easy to understand, sometimes some gear descriptions are long, to the point of being muddy.

An example of a different nature: barking dogs sleep furiosuly.

Is it gramatically correct? Yes - it is. Adjective, plural noun (as a subject), verb, adverb. Perfectly correct.

Does it make sens? Molag BALLS no.

Descriptions of sets are neat, and after studying them (for some time...) you can fathom what they do, how they work. In practice more than on paper.

My favourite example is the Light Overland set from Auridon - Queen's Elegance.

Original:
    When you use a Light Attack you reduce the Health, Magicka, or Stamina cost of your next active ability cast within 2 seconds by 10%. When you use a fully charged Heavy Attack you gain Empower for 3 seconds, increasing the damage of your Heavy Attacks against monsters by 70%. Each of these effects can occur once every second.

Mine:
    Use Light Attack to reduce any Resource cost of next Ability by 10%. Window 2 sec. Use Heavy Attack to gain Empower (70% damage to monsters). Window 3 sec. Cannot occur simultaneously. Can occur every second.

Is mine short? Yes. Is it better? It depends on whether you like short and sweet version, or the elegant one. Mine is dry and just info.
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow
    >>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)
    >>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)
    >>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
    >>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »
    I swear every time I see the words 'gain a stack' I just let out a loud exasperated sigh. Stack of skeever poop, indeed.

lol didn't think about it until you said it, but I do this too!

I read "gain a stack" and I'm - ok here we go... :(

• KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there a running bet on when set tooltips will start requiring a page navigation button or scrollbars?
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol for real with this? :D
    At this point if it landed in my inbox, I'd equip it for giggles and "Just hope it does stuffz"

frqzrlu5lvnn.png

Is comparable to:

af4mceosqwjw.png