Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

New money sink - Companion backpack

Drammanoth
Drammanoth
✭✭✭✭✭
Just as we increase our carrying capacity at the stable master's, could we get an NPC, to whom, by paying some money, our Companion's inventory would increase? Slot by slot, up to 60?
My wishlist for ESO
I.Skills:
>>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
>>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
>>Craft Tree development

III.Replayable content in overland
>>pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
>>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
(the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
>>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>possibility to dye barding

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    This would require them to have an inventory first. Second, they're supposed to be people, not our personal packmules.
    Antiquities Addict
  • OsUfi
    OsUfi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like them to have 5 slots available so they can carry their own companion weapons. Means if I swap character, I don't have to swap weapons between my own characters if I use a companion for more than one task.

I agree with EdjeSwift on them not being people not pack mules. We have enough storage in this game. Folks need to stop carrying and hoarding so much chaff.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the two who have responded that the companions are not designed or intended to be pack mules.

It would be nice if they could carry their own gear as has been noted since there are several sets of gear types they could wear and what they wear is persistent between all of our characters.

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »
    This would require them to have an inventory first. Second, they're supposed to be people, not our personal packmules.

Except we have become our companion's personal pack mule. All I ask is that they should at least be capable of carrying their own gear.
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    Except we have become our companion's personal pack mule. All I ask is that they should at least be capable of carrying their own gear.

They carry their own gear fine, if you want them to wear something different that's your own decision. Everyone who has access to a companion has access to at least 2, kit them out different and choose which of the 3 roles you don't need as much, or if you have access to more companions kit each one differently and have them each fill a role.
    Antiquities Addict
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭
    A Companion Backpack would be something I would spring for...

Sorry just saying
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They carry their own gear fine, if you want them to wear something different that's your own decision. Everyone who has access to a companion has access to at least 2, kit them out different and choose which of the 3 roles you don't need as much, or if you have access to more companions kit each one differently and have them each fill a role.

You can also have a main partner and then just use the rest as mules for their extra gear XD

Also hi
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭
    It feels as if they should be sworn to carry my burdens.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are people, not pack mules?
    It’s a video game.
    The companions in BG3 are waaayyyy more interesting and reactive, with complex “personalities”, and they have their own inventories.
    Plus, companions in Skyrim had their own inventories.
    Why should ESO be different? Especially with the vast amount of loot there is in ESO compared to almost any other game out there.

Companions should have at least enough space in their own inventory for 2-3 gear sets. What would that be? Like 24 or 36 slots? Something like that?

How is it more immersive that we (the “main character”) are carrying our friend’s gear just because we want them to hang out with us?
    Nope.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3b9y99ejjcfh.png
    By this way of thinking @EdjeSwift, some animal rights activists could sue some people over animal abuse, because of all the extra inventory slot pets, only the mule has been used to help humans carry stuff.

How can a rat, as big as it is, carry as much as a donkey? Or a hog? it makes no sense!

Unless you acknowledge that it is a game.

Thus, as much as @OsUfi is correct in terms of not collecting and hoarding EVERYTHING, Companions could become some extra storage spaces, bacause it is unlikely that ZOS will add extra chest. By being able to buy slot after slot, even if it was up to 30 slots max per a Companion, this is still a different way to manage your inventory, and ZOS can make us buy further chapters due to this feature.

Not P2W, but another QoL improvement. If it were just 30 slots, it is still 180 in total (all 6 companions from all 3 chapters).
    Edited by Drammanoth on December 5, 2023 9:15PM
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development

>>pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

• aussie500
    aussie500
    ✭✭✭
    I would be happy if my companions could just carry their own spare armor and weapons on them, rather than it taking up precious space I need for MY stuff!
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet we're supposed to carry their gear instead?

Are we not people?

I don't care for companions but I'm all for more gold sinks in the game.
    Edited by jad11mumbler on December 5, 2023 9:54PM
    174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i like the idea of a "craft bag" type thing for companion gear, even if it had a limited number of slots

a universally accessible storage specific for companion gear no matter which character you were on lol

personally i think they need more handles on companion gear first, we cant even mark it as junk if we want to sell it, its either manually vendor it, or simply destroy it
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    aussie500 wrote: »
    I would be happy if my companions could just carry their own spare armor and weapons on them, rather than it taking up precious space I need for MY stuff!
    Easier just to have a companions set up and equipped for fixed roles, that way you just switch companions rather than their gear.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course it's a game, that's why fantastic things happen and we have daedrats that turn into Ash Titans. That doesn't take away from the fact that the companions are supposed to be seen as people with their own wants and desires, see the rapport system, and not our own personal pack mules.

This isn't about a companion inventory, this is the same issue that pops up every few weeks on this forum with people who want more inventory space because they carry too many things.

As for why we have limited inventory in a video game? Simple, this is an MMO, every item we keep, every variable we change, every outfit we change, this is all stored on a database somewhere for us to access and there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of us with data to be stored. The numbers are out there, we don't need more storage, we need to be less of digital hoarders. People have been asking for inventory upgrades disguised as various things, but the root of the issue is players are holding onto too much. We have 200 slots per character, 240 in the bank, 240 from large coffers, 120 from small coffers. That's 600 shared, 200 individual.
    Drammanoth wrote: »
    Thus, as much as @OsUfi is correct in terms of not collecting and hoarding EVERYTHING, Companions could become some extra storage spaces, bacause it is unlikely that ZOS will add extra chest. By being able to buy slot after slot, even if it was up to 30 slots max per a Companion, this is still a different way to manage your inventory, and ZOS can make us buy further chapters due to this feature.

Not P2W, but another QoL improvement. If it were just 30 slots, it is still 180 in total (all 6 companions from all 3 chapters).

Thank you for this, this clarifies what I thought, you're not actually looking for companion storage, you just want more storage space to keep the various things you have accumulated, because if not, I want to know why you need 180 pieces of companion gear.

Edit: For the record, I use all six of my companions and I don't carry any gear for them, each one has a fixed role and a fixed set of gear. Mirri and Azandar are my healers, Sharp and Isobel my tanks, and Ember my DPS. Bastian thinks he's DPS but we humour him. The only companion gear I keep is a set of weapons in my bank for when I'm skill training weapons they don't primarily use but I'm grinding XP so it's a waste not to do it anyway.
    Edited by EdjeSwift on December 5, 2023 10:01PM
    Antiquities Addict
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    aussie500 wrote: »
    Easier just to have a companions set up and equipped for fixed roles, that way you just switch companions rather than their gear.

this is what i do currently lol, and usually just sell extra gear

i dont even optimally equip them because for the content where i use them, it really doesnt matter how optimally they are geared they end up dying anyway
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They can't carry a back bar weapon? That alone would be a monumental improvement. Which says how silly the whole companion/inventory setup is. They are basically an adult-sized infant who I have to carry a change of clothes for along with a new toy in case they get upset.
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    They can't carry a back bar weapon? That alone would be a monumental improvement. Which says how silly the whole companion/inventory setup is. They are basically an adult-sized infant who I have to carry a change of clothes for along with a new toy in case they get upset.

Why do they need a backbar weapon for a backbar they don't have?
    Antiquities Addict
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'm sworn to carry your burdens".
    - Lydia, Skyrim.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like them to have a weapon swap, but that's about it.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they did get inventory slots, it should only be for their equipment.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they did get inventory slots, it should only be for their equipment.
    It would certainly be better than nothing. They could even all share the same inventory. But only companion gear could be in it. Still a big QoL upgrade.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Waits_Behind_Walls
    Waits_Behind_Walls
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: For the record, I use all six of my companions and I don't carry any gear for them, each one has a fixed role and a fixed set of gear.

And you can play like that if you want to. Some of the rest of us have specific companions we prefer and would like them to be more versatile, and that includes carrying more than one set of gear for themselves. I don't personally like to go cycling through my companions to figure out who has what when I want to make a change. Sharp's in front of me, I want him to be prepared. It's kind of his thing, after all.
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I am a highly-esteemed member of the anti-hoarding committee, and I would like to have a word with the poster of this thread. You should not be hoarding. Hoarding is bad, m'kay? You should just talk to Nuzhimeh a lot more often instead, and let her take good care of all the crap you don't really want. Or need. Just sell it, m'kay? Also, in their infinite wisdom, the Gods of Tamriel also created the 'Destroy' option.

Nuzhimeh! We've found you a new customer!
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, absolutely. Every single companion in the series could carry some of your things, didn't make then any less 'people', it's just a gameplay mechanic. Besides, if Sharp hates it so much when I destroy unwanted stuff, then he can bloody well carry it.
    PC EU
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a system to deal with companion gear. Maybe it can exchange it for some else. It never seems to sell well generally, I feel bad just selling it to a trader, deleting or deconstructing it.
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    Personally id like to see armoury builds store your saved build items within the armoury and not stuck in our bag space
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back bar does not have to be as far as Companions go, I mean, I see not reason, but whatever.

As for mobile storage NPCs, yes - why not? They do not need to have player capacities. The vanilla capacity seems perfect , but 30 would still do.

Guys, you would not get it immediately - but as a leveling process. Buying slots so as to have a money sink and make us log in every day.

But what could they carry? Ingredients, crafting materials, some equipment, food and drinks.

What could they not carry? Patterns, siege equipment, miscellaneous items, crafting writs.

The above are merely my ideas - ZOS would come up with something clearer.

[does not concern ESO+ members] Let's say you're on a stealing spree, leveling Legerdemain. And you're carrying too much equipment, crafting writs, your coffers are brimming with stored mats. So, you give some stuff to Sharp or Ember and proceed with your shenanigans.
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:

II.Overland Mechanics

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development

IV.Geography

V.Other

• Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭
    109809671_1861418097315974_667895815594429507_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dd63ad&_nc_ohc=0rsS9f2Cvl4AX87HTPG&_nc_ht=scontent-ams2-1.xx&oh=00_AfBLaWyJ23DHalZJYjqcmu6Dpm6y9X23Krj7Jms4t_dDCA&oe=6597CA3C
    Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Their personalities reflect different. :D