Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

Do you find guild skill line leveling systems archaic? (Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Psijic)

HeavyESO
HeavyESO
✭✭✭
One thing I don't see talked about much, perhaps because we see it as a given, is the extreme bore of leveling guild skill lines. Specifically the popular ones that relate to meta abilities or combat, being Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild and Psijic.

I think it would benefit the entire community, but especially newer players, if these were either reworked, or at least more was added to bolster and help speed up the leveling of these skill lines. It seems to me that the entire system right now revolves around an unwillingness to do it, and therefore paying crowns to level it up.

The thing is, with how the game feels lately I don't want to pay, and yet I get discouraged when I log on to a character and see I need to slog through a skill line like Fighter's Guild.

Do you agree or disagree? Perhaps if there was a system like 'Guild Contracts' which could be an endeavors-like system that grants additional guild XP, it could help remove some of the tedium by granting additional passive quests to use abilities, kill monsters, complete dungeons and defeat world bosses. Passive dailies that aren't required, but help progression I believe are a good tool to keep people engaged, because it doesn't have to be balanced and doesn't contain any fear-of-missing-out tactics.

Do you find guild skill line leveling systems archaic? (Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Psijic) 93 votes

I am completely happy with all guild skill lineleveling systems
35%
MaddjujuGlassHalfFullp_tsakirisb16_ESOShadowPaladinSilverBrideTandorSarannahVevvevjad11mumblerTai-ChiTheSpunkyLobsterWelanduzCatagamiMonte_CristoPrax3desSeaGtGruffthorwynDiebesgutZodiarkslayerAzuraFan 33 votes
I dislike one or more guild skill line leveling system
44%
PinesyRagnarok0130AuroranGoldenEagleVaranaDestaimeekeyceeMikeSkyrim333Azrael_1976FischblutCerboltKynigosAcadianPaladinBenTSGJierdanitKlauthWarthogLikiLokiMichaelkeirHroltharMik195smackinhippies 41 votes
I dislike ALL guild leveling systems
20%
laurajfBelegnoleApoAlaiaflizomicaTheDarkRulerRa'ShtarSylosiPsychpsych13spartaxoxoEzhhACamaroGuyPixiepumpkinEF321JanniCameraBeardThePirateCooperharleyevymyu233NeuroticPixelsamig186 19 votes
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, maybe not all, Undaunted is alright and pretty much levels by itself as long as you like doing dungeons. Fighters guild gets a good chunk of xp if you level a new character on dolmens, but it gets tedious if you later want to max it out in a hurry. Leveling the Mages Guild is rather boring and ideally requires you to have access to most of the wayshrines. The Psijics are by far the worst of the lot, good luck doing that in a timely manner without a guide, and even with one it still takes too long.
    Fortunately, they added guild commendations that drop from the dailies and give you some xp for the respective skill line, but the one that needs it most, the Psijic Order, still has nothing. Just about any additional way of leveling their skill line would be an improvement.
    PC EU
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would just like there to be more variety:

For example right now if you want to level say the mages or fighters guild line on a character, you get one quest, sure you can group and share quests but its still the same type of quest and then your time gated till the dailies reset before you can do it again.

What I would like is about half a dozen different quest givers in the mages guild/fighters guild every other guild etc... each with a different variety of quests that each reward you reputation with varying difficulty/objectives to complete, make them back to back like with the thieves guild jobs board or the jobs book in the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary.

That kind of thing for all the different guilds, maybe some Chapter/DLC zone specific quest lines something to get/keep you involved make you feel like a member of these guilds beyond just levelling up the skill line and doing dailies with valuable loot/event loot, make them something people actively want to keep doing instead of the once and done that they largely all feel like at the moment.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    we have daily quests for all of the base game guild skill lines.

fighters guild is super easy to level by just killing monsters.
    and for undaunted you just have to do dungeons.

and psijic order just levels by doing its story quests.
    it would be fun to have daily quests for the Psijic Order though.

undaunted should have an ultimate skill as it's the only one of these without one.

but i wouldn't call any of them archaic.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am fine with how most guild skill lines level up, except for Fighters Guild.
    You get a whopping 10 experience points for turning in a daily, on a skill line that literally requires 1600 experience to go from 9 to 10. What the heck?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've no problem at all with doing the dailies to level up FG, MG, Undaunted. And changing the FG daily to just one dolmen was great. It is leveling psijic that is painful - enough so that no more alts for me. I have several fully leveled characters that didn't work out and I no longer play - we need class change tokens!
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with the present system. I think some people confuse "need" with "want", and also convince themselves that they must max everything by teatime yesterday :wink: !
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually enjoy undaunted but outside of that - yes. Special mention for:
    - Psijic
    - Excavation and scrying
    - Mages guild
    - Legerdemain

I’m fine with doing these once but it is FAR from fun doing them again. It feels like they are intentionally creating monotony and selling the “fun” solution in the store. I get it - make your money in a live service game. But if I purchase a skill line skip, armory slots, outfit slots, mount training, etc. it NEEDS to be account wide
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is somewhat archaic but I would be more accepting of it if we didn't have means of bypassing it altogether by throwing money at it (after completing it with the first character).

However the moment you can just make the inconvenience go away by waving some currency at it all bets are off and the primary reason why this and other drudgery (like mount training) has not received a QoL pass becomes apparent: because there is a financial incentive to keep it that way.

If a publisher is offering you dispensation from engaging with certain systems for a given fee you can be certain that this revenue stream was a strong motivator in the implementation.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on December 4, 2023 2:11PM
  • Cerbolt
    Cerbolt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The mages guild line is the worst by far, it's just so tedious and annoying, but rather than fix it you can buy it in the Crown store!
    AD - For the Queen!
    PSEU: Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade | Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Magplar | Ra'ban - Khajiit MagDK | Gaelhwen - Bosmer Stamden

PCEU: Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Stamplar | Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm perfectly happy leveling the psijiic guild line (and I do so on multiple alts). I have zero use for FG, MG, Undaunted, TG, DB.
    Edited by TaSheen on December 4, 2023 2:12PM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Bobargus
    Bobargus
    ✭✭✭✭
    + fighter's guild - alikr dolmen runs

+ dark brotherhood - random contract missions

+ antiquities - artaeum farm

+ legerdemain - craglorn/betnikh apple farm

? thieves guild - random side quests on the wall-thing

- mage's guild - lorebooks (NO! #1)

- psijic guild - time rifts (NO! #2)

- undaunted - random normal dungeons (NO! #3)
    Edited by Bobargus on December 4, 2023 2:13PM
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psijic skill line leveling is mind numbing. The others can be a grind for sure, but nothing like the psijic line.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really just dislike how passively integrated the guilds are with the rest of the game and how all the Guilds become completely USELESS after you are done with them.
    • Mage's Guild (Lore Books) (2/10)
      • I like that you have to go around and read books scattered around the world in order to level your reputation in the Guild!
      • I dislike how the books are just sitting in the Overworld, requiring just a passive click to signify you were there. It's so bare bones and poorly integrated into the game.
      • The Endless Archive is Mage's Guild 2.0 (Class sets, Archival Fortunes).
    • Fighter's Guild (Lore Books) (2/10)
      • I like that you have to fight monsters?
      • I dislike that you can just farm Dolmens for it. It's monotonous, it's all surface / no substance, and it's boring.
      • The Undaunted is Fighter's Guild 2.0 (Monster sets, Undaunted Keys, connection to dungeons)!
    • Dark Brotherhood (Quests) (4/10)
      • I like the unique Assassination mechanic in the Overland. It feels more integrated with the game to be killing people in the open air, in populated cities!
      • I dislike how monotonous and boring the assassination quests are. I never thought it'd be so boring to be an assassin.
      • I like the Assassination instanced mini-games. It's a nice touch, but it just doesn't go far enough. There isn't enough map variety, or unique contracts, to make it interesting. Plus, it's buggy as hell.
      • I HATE the Dark Brotherhood skill line. It's completely useless 99.9% of the time and, while the Blade of Woe mechanic is nice for Dark Brotherhood quests, it's completely pointless to the rest of the game as a whole. Shadow Rider passive is the only LASTING thing about the Dark Brotherhood... that's disappointing.
    • Thieves Guild (Quests) (4/10)
      • I like the Thieving mechanic and Justice System. It's kind of buggy sometimes, but it's ok.
      • I like the instanced Thieving contracts, but like DB, there aren't enough, with interesting contracts, to make them fun.
      • The whole skill line is pointless. They were really reaching for stuff to add and it shows. I'd say Clemency is the most LASTING thing, but who cares? Most players never have stolen goods on them and the cost is a penitence.
      • Treasures are pointless. They have been relegated to game litter and stolen items are even worse. I wrote a whole article on Treasures and how disappointing they are. Just sad.
    • Psijic Order (Time Breaches) (1/10)
      • Monotonous, boring. Nothing good to say about Psijic Order. They went with the laziest route in tying the level to the story quest. Players that want to farm it find it annoying, players that wanted something immersive and rich are sorely disappointed. Just poorly thought out all around, I hardly think of them as a proper Guild in ESO, they are just a DLC story questline.
    • Undaunted (Dungeons) (8/10)
      • Now, Undaunted cheated a bit, but I don't hold that against them. They got proper content by being integrated into Dungeon system, and they get some good rewards for their dailies that make players want to do the content.
      • They have unique Monster sets that are a staple of ESO at this point.
      • They got Antiquities integration with Leads through Dungeons and bosses. Motif integration with Mask pages and Arms packs. Transmute integration with gems and Dungeon loot.
      • Decent skill line with good, relevant Skills.
      • All in all, very well integrated into the rest of the game. Would like to see a revamp of Undaunted Keys and more things to spend them on... but it's a good Guild.

TLDR;

Except for Undaunted, all of the Guilds designs are dated. Mage's and Fighter's Guilds leveling is uninspired. Thieves, Brotherhood, and Psijic are monotonous. I'd like to see a Dark Brotherhood 2.0 and a Thieves Guild 2.0 that goes the way of Endless Archive to really give these guilds more of a prevalence and importance, as well as good interesting content.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I'm fine with the present system. I think some people confuse "need" with "want", and also convince themselves that they must max everything by teatime yesterday :wink: !

Pretty much this. The demand to get everything quicker, easier, faster, instantly with less effort is one symptom of gaming these days IMO.
    Or maybe it's that I realised that it is true
    No one's really there fighting for you in the last garrison
    No one except yourself that is, no one except you
    You are the one who's got your back 'til the last deed's done
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mages Guild is fine because it makes your new toon go places and discover wayshrines as you go.
    Fighters Guild for me is levelled naturally by simply fighting Daedra while doing regular activities. I use dailies only for levelling the respective line for the companions. Dailies are not worth it to me for levelling FG for the characters themselves.
    Undaunted is fine.
    Psijic on the other hand was horrible.
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the systems generally make okay sense for the faction but, the rewards have a tendency to draw in characters that don't fit the content due to interactions with other players which produces friction.

If ESO was a single player game I would likely skip most of the Guilds on most of my characters because they aren't actually a good fit for the characters RP.

But, since ESO is a multiplayer game I need to optimize more to be able to compete with other players and be a useful team player.

You also run into clashes from a style of play angle.

Since most of my alts level up by killing things/doing dallies, leveling up the Fighter's Guild is a breeze on most of my characters.

Mage's Guild tends to be painful on many of my characters because I don't run addons and I skip a ton of quests and thus don't hit the area where books are naturally and I may miss them when I am in the area.

People that level up via questing can find the reverse.

• EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are so many things which have made leveling these skill lines a breeze with enough effort.

Mage's Guild: The dailies are shareable and as per user BenevolentBowed in this thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/627456/what-is-the-fastest-way-to-level-up-mages-guild

"If you have access to the mages guild dailies, you can do 15 dailies a day to earn 150 reputation points a day. This will take 9.5 days to max out the skill line but you will earn extra gold, loot some draugr motifs, and boost your companions mages skill line."

Fighter's Guild: Alik'r Dolmen farm, it's a bit of an investment, but little bit of grind out there will max out your Fighter's Guild. On top of that they nerfed the Dolmen daily to 1 Dolmen a Day.

Psijic: Sorry console users, this one doesn't help you much, but Beam me Up, or housing helps tremendously with this. It's a little exploration and teleporting for skills, not that big, you can knock it out in few hours if you're efficient.

Thieves/Assassin: They pulled the level reqs to complete the story and they don't have "meta" skills, purely passives tied to the level up.

That said, they JUST added Citations to the daily rewards bags so you can potentially get more rep per day, or buy it off the guild trader.

That said, I'm with @Tandor, there is no NEED to change these things, just a want to make things super easy. But here's the thing, this isn't an Elder Scrolls solo game, this is an MMO, grinding is a huge part of them and always will be, or else it would just be single player game where when you're done you move onto the next.
    Antiquities Addict
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest problem that I have with the system is that if you start dungeon runs prior to joining undaunted then you miss out on those skill points.

Grind aside, the one peice I like about the mages guild is that if you start picking up lorebooks prior to joining then when you join you get progression up to where you should be based on what you have already picked up. Undaunted guild should have this.

Psijic for its grind at least has its leveling linked to its unique quests.

My thought is this once yo complete the skill line and all associated quests (if any) progression on your account is doubled for each other character you have on your account. Having the effect that if you complete a guild skill line enough to unlock it in the crown store, progression through said line is cut in half.

Just my thought.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is nice and dare I say even a good design that there are aspects to the game that have their own mechanics.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Came here to say that you can level up Fighters Guild by participating in PvP and it will level up simply if your group gets kills.

Most people do not know this but it's a nice way to break-up the Dolmen grind, especially if you time it with something like Midyear Mayhem.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are absolutely fine.

Nobody forces anyone to level them and has special way to do so on each.

As for Fighters Guild also is the most dumb to level too as it only requires activation.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These quests are fine and there should be some investment in time and effort, even if grindy, to achieve them.

I just wish that there was more of a reason to do it. A lot of the time, I skipped them because there really isn't a compelling reason.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fighters' Guild: Is a bit of a slog but okay as you can either significantly speed it up via dolmen runs, or just level it passively if you don't need it RIGHT NOW!!! because it benefits from stuff you probably do anyway.

Mages' Guild: Is well annoying without an addon, and boring with one. At least you can do it while listening to an audiobook or whatever.

Undaunted: It's fine. It's also really fast once you can do pledges on veteran level. That means you'll have to gain X to level the skills while at max level already, which is the main drawback.

Psijic: It could be great. Tying it to a quest is fine, as a concept, and better than running around clicking on books. If only ... if only that quest wasn't so mindnumbingly boring and tediously bland. The Morte-ordered-on-Wish gets old halfway through the first time you do it, and then it's just running around. beats Mages' Guild by being shorter.

Legerdemain: That's a real grind. But generally not worth it in my opinion, so whatever.

Thieves' Guild: Is okay. You get decent amounts of skill xp from the quests and can do a heist in between. I despise the heists but you can just run through the area killing everything and get stuff, so that's fine. If you plan on stealing stuff, it's worth the effort. If not, you can just ignore it.

DB: Same but imho even less useful.

Antiquities: Oh God. First time it's okay because fresh and new and you have the purple area loot. From the second character onwards, it's annoying and boring as hell and brainwreckingly slow and did I mention boring? Running around Artaeum doing the same mindless stuff over and over again is peak gameplay. Even more boring than fishing, and that's saying something.
    ---

Will they change them? Probably not. Buying the skill lines makes money.
    Edited by Varana on December 4, 2023 7:25PM
  • i11ionward
    i11ionward
    ✭✭✭
    Leveling up guilds is extremely simple for MMO game.
    Just don't be lazy and don't try to get everything in one evening.
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    The biggest problem that I have with the system is that if you start dungeon runs prior to joining undaunted then you miss out on those skill points.

Grind aside, the one peice I like about the mages guild is that if you start picking up lorebooks prior to joining then when you join you get progression up to where you should be based on what you have already picked up. Undaunted guild should have this.
    +100500

• YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking strictly from my personal playstyle, I am fine with almost all. I appreciate that they are related to activities that you would be performing as a member of the guild, anyway. That said, a greater variety of associated quests would be fantastic!

The only one I strongly dislike is Psijic. While I love the idea of levelling the guild skill line directly through the guild questline, as some others here have pointed out, the questline itself is... unsatisfying, to say the least. Put more bluntly, it is dull and repetitive, clearly meant to drag out. The meat of the questline could be easily abridged to one or two quests, with no need to remove dialogue.
    @ Yffre'sTrill - PC/EU (No Steam)
    -
    Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
    Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, and Nilvani.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with things the way they are. There are way more grindy things in the game.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care for the phrase "completely happy," but I'm reasonably satisfied with the current methods of guild leveling.

Are they perfect? No.

Could they be improved? Yes.

But I'm reasonably satisfied with the way they currently work, especially with the recent addition of guild commendations or citations or whatever they're called.

A daily Psijic quest might be interesting, depending on what kinds of jobs we would be tasked with doing and what kinds of potential rewards were offered.

For that matter, a daily Antiquities quest might be interesting as well, if it rewarded additional points toward leveling up the Scrying and Excavating skill lines, as well as perhaps an occasional rare lead that can otherwise be difficult or painful to grind for, or something like that. I mean, I know Antiquities isn't a Guild per se, but it sort of is.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After doing those dailies on 4 toons, I can’t bear to do them again.

You can speed up Fighters Guild with the Alik’r dolmen train, and running dungeons for Undaunted, but Mages Guild is an excruciatingly painful and time-consuming experience on console.

I know someone is going to mention it, but I’m not going to group up to do more than one daily per day for Mages Guild either.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mage’s Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and Psijic Order are dreadful.

Everything else I feel is fine, as they feel natural, and I remember actually enjoying the Thieves Guild leveling process. I hope this next year brings an update to the Guild systems.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, not actually all, as the Undaunted and Thieves guild are actually fine and I forgot about it when I voted.

But, the rest of them are rather repetitive in what they require. It would be nice to see some variety in their tasks.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 5, 2023 5:30AM