Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Animal Companions - World Skill Line

Cooperharley
Cooperharley
✭✭✭✭✭
After recently playing Season of Discovery on WoW: Classic and reinvigorating my love for hunters I realized something - our companions are basically just as smart as a hunter pet in WoW. Sure, they have voice lines and some equipment/quests, but their AI behavior and their effectiveness in combat (primarily melee based companions) is very reminiscent of a hunter pet like a wolf or cougar or something.

I would absolutely love to see a world skill line where we could tame wild animals and have them as our combat companions. BUT - before they do anything they need to assist/intervene in the combat effectiveness of the companion system as a whole:
- Simply making them immune to ground AOE damage would go a long way to increasing their survivability

Companions are a bit under-baked as is. They're cool to have out, but I'd get a MUCH bigger kick if we had animal companions. Yes - I know about the Warden's bear ultimate. I would like a system where there are beasts that are marked as "tameable" in the wild that we could have as companions instead.

[edited for petition/protest]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 3, 2023 5:58PM
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    A sound idea friend. I think this game would benefit from a system like you have suggested as there are so many cool and interesting creatures in the game already, utilising them in combat would be ace. Even just as an expansion of the options for the warden ultimate would be a step in the right direction. A grey bear and a brown bear, WOW that's extensive for my Warden who comes from a part of Tamriel where bears are not native. I love firing cliff racers at my enemies when my character hasn't even seen a cliff racer before given they are from a specific region of the continent they have never visited.

But you need to phrase your request differently to stand a chance of getting this feature, which a significant portion of the community (myself included) also want. [snip] So a better suggestion would be to add animal companions to the crown store that can be purchased directly and added to the companions tab. Not even a new animal companions tab because that would require UI work and that costs money. Then we might actually get it along with new weapon types, cosmetic overhaul etc. (haha)

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 3, 2023 5:54PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would absolutely love to have an animal companion! But they should be acquired the same way they are now, NOT for purchase from the Crown Store.
    PCNA
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Immune to ground AOE is a pretty big ask, isn't it?
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • aspergalas4
      aspergalas4
      ✭✭✭✭
      I would absolutely love to have an animal companion! But they should be acquired the same way they are now, NOT for purchase from the Crown Store.

That would be the ideal, there is a lot of scope to expand the existing companion system with this line of idea for sure.
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be the ideal, there is a lot of scope to expand the existing companion system with this line of idea for sure.

Companions are part of the story and are present in the zone that introduces them. Even animal Companions would have a story for how they meet the player and connect with them. We wouldn't get that from a Crown Store purchase.
      PCNA
    • LunaFlora
      LunaFlora
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      a skill line for combat pets would be nice yes.
      miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
      "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
      🦬🦌🐰
      PlayStation and PC EU.
      LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
      LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    • Pixiepumpkin
      Pixiepumpkin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Wow hunter is what kept me playing wow for roughly 15 years. Being able to tame and name your own fighting pet companion was loads of fun.
      The UI needs work though. Telling a pet to attack a target is not as smooth as it is in wow. Warden bears kinda get played as set and forget, the complete opposite of how I was able to control hunter pets in wow.

That aside. I feel annoyed that the bear pet in ESO has not had more skins made for the bear.
      "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
      PC/NA
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Please clarify if this suggestion is for:

Animal Companions as part of the Companion system.

Or Skill Lines for players' Combat Pets.

Or what sounds like a Hunter class.
      PCNA
    • EdjeSwift
      EdjeSwift
      ✭✭✭✭

This started as a request for the addition of a World Skill line to allow for combat pets to be added to the game, something which I believe is going to be a logistical nightmare to implement in terms of balancing and skill use.

Then the suggestion for an animal companion came around which won't really work with the current system unless we can figure out how an animal companion can use weapons/wear companion gear cause I don't think adding a whole new set of armour/gear just for one companion is in the cards.

As for the hunter thing, the idea came about because of the Hunter from WoW, but as we just got the arcanist, any new class isn't coming for a few years, but the only way to implement a combat pet/tameable thing would be via a new class because trying to balance it in as a World Skill available to all would be a headache IMO.
      Antiquities Addict
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Thanks!
      PCNA
    • Cooperharley
      Cooperharley
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Im asking for a WORLD SKILL LINE as stated that involves TAMING animals in the wild to serve as combat companions and just gameplay companions in general.

Being immune to ground AOEs is not a big ask and is honestly necessary given how unintelligent the AI is for companions currently.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I really am not interested in a "hunter class" in this game. If that was something I was dying for, I'd go back to wow. There's really no pre-existent archetype in TES.
      Edited by TaSheen on December 4, 2023 2:14AM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    • Cooperharley
      Cooperharley
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      TaSheen wrote: »
      I really am not interested in a "hunter class" in this game. If that was something I was dying for, I'd go back to wow. There's really no pre-existent archetype in TES.

Again - not asking for a class. Asking for a world skill line. Classless.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm also not interested in any more skill lines. Too much of that already. But at least I wouldn't have to mess with it. I prefer classes so I can make new characters to take advantage of them. Except for the necro.... I was really happy to have the warden and arcanist though. I have WAY more fun leveling new classes than I do tacking on new skill lines to existing characters.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

• dinokstrunz
      dinokstrunz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Would be cool but can't see it happening. I heard SoD was pretty good, especially with the whole community working together to find the runes for their respective classes. Something that ESO really lacks, getting people out in the world.
    • aspergalas4
      aspergalas4
      ✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm also not interested in any more skill lines. Too much of that already. But at least I wouldn't have to mess with it. I prefer classes so I can make new characters to take advantage of them. Except for the necro.... I was really happy to have the warden and arcanist though. I have WAY more fun leveling new classes than I do tacking on new skill lines to existing characters.

A lot of people are though. Many, myself included, would argue there aren't enough. I thin kit should be a counterable option for those who want to opt in to such a system.

You prefer classes because new skill lines have always added very little to the game in the grand scheme because its just one line at a time. Only difference with classes is you get 3 to play with and have to level a new character. ZOS should be adding multiple world skill lines to the game at a time to really flesh out the tool kit we players have to work with.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      But I LOVE leveling new characters. My characters are not my 'tool kits" - they are themselves, every one of them....