Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 19:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – February 21, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – February 21, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)

Yet another plea to fix fishing in this game.

Sennecca
Sennecca
✭✭✭
It wouldn't take much to make small improvements that would make it worthwhile. To make it worse even if you have the fishing CP active, the most titems you can catch are 3 a minute or 180 and hour. Now factor in that about 10% (or sometimes more) are useless gunny sacks full of Ta and other runestones that aren't worth 1 game penny, 10 more percent are for bait for a DIFFERENT type of water than what is being currently fished. (For those that don't have ESO plus, that has to be extra annoying). I spent 2 hours fishing the other day, filleted over 200 fish and didn't get ONE perfect Roe. RNG hated me that day. I figured I need the roe so I might as well fish in areas where I don't have the achievements for and each gunny sack and bait would have me shaking my head that the game has been out this long and something as simple as removing gunny sacks or actually putting something that MIGHT be useful in a percentage of them such as 1 roe egg that can be combined to make a perfect roe. It's something so simple and every plea to fix fishing and make it so that gathering wormwood is more lucrative has been totally ignored by the dev's.
  • Sennecca
    Sennecca
    ✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    The fishing system isn't broken and don't needs to be fixed. It sounds more, that you're unhappy with the rewards.

@Tandor I agree, that the addition of endeavours were a nice addition, can't think of a fishing skill line more in detail tho. Do you have any ideas for skills and passives regarding that?

I'd also add fishing dailies to the game. Something like "Catch X fish in Y".

Yes, It's the rewards. To fish for 2 hours and get nothing but fish and Ta and a few "trophy fish" that add to an achievement needs buffing IMO. I have more "FISH" in my craftbag than perhaps any other item and it's not really useful for anything besides levelling up a lower level character's provisioning since they can make hundreds of them. The only place where fishing is more rewarding is in summerset where you can at least get bottles that might have a motif, some clam gall or other ingredients that you can use. I have almost 5,000 Ta. To get 18 more bags that contain Ta instead of a fish which is the reason I'm fishing seems a bit like a joke. Other games have more rewarding fishing including games made out of fishing, tournaments with fishing, certain types of fish needed for certain recipes. Besides achievement hunting, you're better off raiding a bunch of cabinets and urns and buying the roe your after from people who were achievement hunting. Why is it that the achievement is the only reason to fish when it could be so much more is my point.
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sennecca wrote: »
    Why is it that the achievement is the only reason to fish when it could be so much more is my point.

This would be the issue with your perspective. There are plenty of reasons to fish other than the achievement. I like fishing in the game just to do something completely mindless and chill. Not everything needs to have big rewards or shinies tied to it to make it worthwhile.

That said, I'd love a new fishing pole cosmetic.
    Antiquities Addict
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, the rewards could be improved, I agree. I wouldn't necessarily restrict that to drop rates of roe, but add more varied rewards, like they did in Summerend.

I'm concerned tho, that the very moment this happens a bunch of toxic entitlelists, which are solely after rewards, try to nerf down the fishing experience, as they do with every other aspect of this game (EA, ToT, PvP and so on).
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't forget fishing in Apocrypha can also drop a new type of gunny sack, the Abyss-Drenched Folio Volume.

Ofc it is often full of rubbish but can drop a couple of different furnishing plans!
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fishing system isn't broken and don't needs to be fixed. It sounds more, that you're unhappy with the rewards.

@Tandor I agree, that the addition of endeavours were a nice addition, can't think of a fishing skill line more in detail tho. Do you have any ideas for skills and passives regarding that?

That would be a decent daily, but they'd probably implement it differently: "Catch an ultra-rare fish at a fishing hole in Arc 6 with a guildmate". :wink:

That's my main issue with ZOS these days, they have reasonable ideas which are then ruined in the implementation while they ignore all feedback on the PTS that could, if heeded, have made all the difference.

As for a fishing skill line, passives (and champion points) could obviously increase the type of rod and the odds of catching rare fish or better loot in the gummy bag (or an upgrade of gummy bags), while active skills could, for example, enable you to summon a particular type of fish or enable you to craft superior bait. Just random thoughts. @ZOS_Kevin How about running a competition for suggested fishing skills if we had a separate skill line perhaps through an Anglers' Guild?
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a world of high adventure, demons, dragons, vampires, werewolves, swords and sorcery, world-spanning threats...

And you expect there to be major rewards for *fishing*? An activity that, if not done to get food, was basically invented as an excuse to spend the afternoon away from a tiresome spouse?

I suggest that someone needs a sense of perspective rather than a sense of entitlement :-)

Fishing in the game is basically a joke. "Hey, you can even go fishing in our lakes and waste hours trying to catch trophy fish and mostly failing". That's the entire point of it.
    Edited by jle30303 on December 3, 2023 12:54AM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my elf, master angler is out of the question; she never has and never will drop her line in 'foul waters'. The only reason she fishes is to catch about three edible fish each day to ensure she's always well stocked for her salmon millet soup primary food. Catching three edible fish per day is not tedious at all. It irritates her to reel in anything else (gunny sacks, green/blue fish, bait). Over the years, I guess she's gotten about 40 perfect roe and used about 5 or 6 for master writs that very rarely call for them. So she doesn't have to care too much about that. Would love to see an occasional fishing endeavor as long as it's simple enough to avoid tedium. She likes fishing quite a bit more than EA or ToT. ;)
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on December 3, 2023 1:12AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • fall0athboy
    fall0athboy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure what the skill line would comprise of.
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    As for a fishing skill line, passives (and champion points) could obviously increase the type of rod and the odds of catching rare fish or better loot in the gummy bag (or an upgrade of gummy bags), while active skills could, for example, enable you to summon a particular type of fish or enable you to craft superior bait. Just random thoughts. @ZOS_Kevin How about running a competition for suggested fishing skills if we had a separate skill line perhaps through an Anglers' Guild?

An active skill to summon a fish... *thinks*

Summon Magicarp (or close enough name that players get the reference but ZOS does not get into legal issues)
    • Cast time: 0.5 seconds
    • Duration: 15 seconds
    • Cooldown: 30 seconds
    • Range: 28 feet
    • Type: Targeted
    • Description: Does no damage but will taunt your current enemy target for 15 seconds or until killed. If the enemy target is killed before the timer expires, Magicarp explodes leaving scales and bile in a 6 foot radius. Enemies caught in the explosion are slowed by 10%.

Summon Slaughterfish
    • Cast time: 1 second
    • Duration: 10 seconds
    • Cooldown: 15 seconds
    • Range: 28 feet
    • Type: AOE
    • Description: Summon 6 slaughterfish which swim / fly in a circular motion within a 10 foot radius of the targeted area. Each enemy entering the area receives X physical damage. For each enemy hit a slaughterfish drops to the ground releasing a cloud of noxious fumes causing Y disease damage per second until the timer ends.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Master Angler chiming in here, fishing is extremely boring and if I wasn’t a completionist, I never would have made it past the first faction fisher achievement.

There’s no engagement to it as the reel-in process is much to simple. I’ve played other games with fishing mechanics tied to it making trophy catches actually feel like an accomplishment.

Also, bit of a fun fact. I love fishing, and have lived on two lakes throughout my life. If the system was actually engaging, I would do it all of the time as it’s something I relate with, instead of the current never.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree with you and Tandor. There is a difference between something being broken and something where we would like the rewards to be different or better.

• kindred
    kindred
    ✭✭✭
    The fishing is super boring. I've played many mmos and the ones that have fishing as a little mini-game are the most fun. ESO has many systems but they're all kind of shallow and fishing is the worst. It's been the same forever.
  • Masteroshi430
    Masteroshi430
    ✭✭✭
    OP:
    The fishing system looks fine, if you want to catch more fish per minute, there is something in French we call "amorce", basically you put some sort of flavored/seasoned flour in the water so the fish are attracted to your spot and you can catch more of them, this could possibly be crafted at an alchemy station or cooking fire with rare ingredients, giving a buff reducing the time between fish bites. This could be implemented by ZOS without altering too much the fishing system.

EDIT: I only fish when I'm queuing for Cyrodiil/dungeon and then it's quite fun, fishing just to get perfect Roe or achievements would be boring I think.
    Edited by Masteroshi430 on December 3, 2023 6:46AM
    @Masteroshi430 PC/EU (old French guy playing in English & addon author/maintainer) My addons
    Deshaan Honeydew Hors D'Oeuvre <<< FIX THAT TYPO GODDAMMIT!
  • YetAnotherLinuxUser
    YetAnotherLinuxUser
    ✭✭✭✭
    we could add lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg to the game.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like fishing in ESO. I have 4 master anglers, working (desultorily - around the plethora of events) on two more. I'd like fishing endeavors too!

[ stupid typos.... 😒]
    Edited by TaSheen on December 3, 2023 8:34PM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    Master Angler chiming in here, fishing is extremely boring and if I wasn’t a completionist, I never would have made it past the first faction fisher achievement.

There’s no engagement to it as the reel-in process is much to simple. I’ve played other games with fishing mechanics tied to it making trophy catches actually feel like an accomplishment.

Also, bit of a fun fact. I love fishing, and have lived on two lakes throughout my life. If the system was actually engaging, I would do it all of the time as it’s something I relate with, instead of the current never.

I’m a master angler too, and I like that the fishing is relaxing and simple, just like in real life.

When I’m tired of killing stuff and need a break from frantic button mashing, I go to Summerset and hope I get some of the cool furnishing items that drop there.

Fishing mini-games are always frustrating and tedious.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭
    Another Master Angler here. Though I have not done all the DLC zones yet.

I would say it might be nice if more zones have interesting extras to fish for like the ones in Apocrypha, Summerset and Artaeum. They are always a nice surprise. Are there any other zones that have unique fishing rewards like those?

I have played other games with fishing with mini games. Can't say I am too fussed about those.

Endeavours would be nice. Fish in a particular zone or maybe in a particular type of water. I think type of water may be better as if everyone went running to one zone those fishing spots would be dried up in no time.
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dunno....I sorta like Fishing in ESO....certainly more than I did in WoW or FFXIV...I mean it's fishing, it's not going to be edge of your seat excitement right?
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno....I sorta like Fishing in ESO....certainly more than I did in WoW or FFXIV...I mean it's fishing, it's not going to be edge of your seat excitement right?

Not unless you are after the pulled from the depths achievement. ;)
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I would love to see ESO adapt, would be the replacement of fishing holes with the ability to cast your line in any body of water, while making fish visible through the water’s surface.

https://youtu.be/5nyb0Bune9c?si=0_MbtieMBMyWM1Se
    Hunting down fish was extremely fun in Twilight Princess, and I feel that could be emulated.
    Edited by Tyrant_Tim on December 4, 2023 8:30PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tandor I agree, that the addition of endeavours were a nice addition, can't think of a fishing skill line more in detail tho. Do you have any ideas for skills and passives regarding that?.

One way to handle it is to take the green CP passives away and put them on the skill line. Annoying we have to constantly flip back and forth on such things, but being able to have them active at all times by simply fishing would be a great QOL feature.

Then maybe add a passive or two that can give greater rewards if you time when you press the button to pull the fish up correctly or some other things. Give a bit more interactivity to the system over just press and wait. Maybe also rebuild fishing from the ground up and treat it like a minigame similar to Pirates of the Caribbean Online's fishing using the system introduced with Antiquities as the template. Similar to how Antiquities paved the way for Tales of Tribute.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • centime
    centime
    ✭✭✭
    kindred wrote: »
    The fishing is super boring.

Or, for some of us, it can be a nice break in the action, standing there listening to the ambient sounds in whatever area I am fishing.

I agree that it can be boring at times if I am not in the proper mindset, when I am feeling more action oriented. But for other times it is a peaceful respite between frenetic activity.

All a matter of perspective...there is no right or wrong opinion on the subject.