Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The necessary evil of Armory Slots

Rageypoo
Rageypoo
✭✭✭✭
So we all use em, and I'm sure I can speak for most people that having to purchase one PER CHARACTER is a bit much, specially for the cost.

One thing I think would help justify their need, would be that the armory slot also has its OWN backpack. I think this would help cover the ever growing need of inventory slots, AND help eleviate the frustrations of having to carry around your PVP and PVE gear on one character. I love the idea of Armory slots, but in practice they are just a bit clunky. I hope this idea is considered, I want to love the Armory but as it is, it's a bit of a bandaid solution to the problem.

Be sure to tell me why I'm wrong below!

-Ragey
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a bad idea, but as been mentioned countless times over the forums, ESO does have a lot of database and storage issues with the sheer accumulation of data over the decade it's been live.

Plus on top of that, it would not be well received by a large chunk of the community who would balk at the idea at more p2w(their arguments, not mine) storage for people that they're held out from.

On top of that, the last time this subject came around people wanted more and more complex versions of this, this is one of those ideas that is going to be difficult to make everyone happy.
    Edited by EdjeSwift on November 30, 2023 11:15PM
    Antiquities Addict
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any armory slots on any characters and I personally think it's pretty lame that people are doing trials using one set-up for trash and then switching set-ups for free and at the push of a button to do the boss.

On one hand I suppose I'm just an idiot because I change my setups a lot and it costs me gold to redo my skills and CP every time.

On the other hand I just think the game is becoming too easy. What other people call "quality of life" I think of as borderline exploiting... Except it's not exploiting, because I guess that's just the way it's done now.

I like the challenge of having a set-up that's good at a lot of things. Or at least can complete one goddang thing without drastic changes mid-way. I don't know why that ever stopped being a thing.

• Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Oh, I don't think you're wrong. However, I don't use the armory at all.

I do think the per character thing is definitely a "gouge".

I use the full two slots given for "PvE" and "PvP".

I only repair walls when in PvP, once a month per character, but I get avoided when sporting over 65k+ health in most circumstances. Manually changing armor and skills just to repair walls is a pain. The PvE slot I use when doing the obvious...

It would be nice to have 3 default slots, but as I don't do trials, arenas and/or vet content, I'm good with two.

edit: old eyes
    Edited by Toxic_Hemlock on November 30, 2023 11:26PM
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me it would just be good if you could deposit gear into your bank using the armory and withdraw gear from bank also using armory.

In practice you could then use the armory to deposit everything you are wearing using one botton, log onto another character and equip a build that uses some/all of those pieces with one click of botton.
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I were the one monetizing them, I would probably do:

A. One slot for one character for 500 Crowns

B. One slot for ALL characters for 5000 Crowns

So that you could do them a la carte for one character fairly inexpensively while still being able to get some better value for those who have many characters who are all hungry for slots.
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    I don't have any armory slots on any characters and I personally think it's pretty lame that people are doing trials using one set-up for trash and then switching set-ups for free and at the push of a button to do the boss.

PC has this already with wardrobe add-ons that are free to use and allowed by ZoS and the armoury would have been the perfect opportunity to give console the same chance, but no, it was decided that the armoury person cannot be used in veteran trials or any content (arenas, archive) that has a score.

So whether it's lame to switch sets or not, it's not possible to do so using the armoury assistant in a vet trial
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I said the same thing about purchasing Outfit slots per character; It's just excessive monetization to charge stuff per character versus an account-wide upgrade, especially considering that for armory slots players would need at the very least 3 slots to have loadouts for the essential roles of Tank, DD, and Healer if they don't want to spend time juggling multiple characters.

Armory should absolutely be able to pull gear from the bank if needed. I'm sure they could implement that code if they really wanted to.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even at 1,500 per slot per account, the cost is still too high.

This is a Quality of Life feature that should be standard in the game, imagine if Call of Duty provided three classes and you had to pay for the other 7? People would be in uproar. There would literally be a boycott… and those games have much less build diversity options, and far fewer variances in content.

But some genius thought it was okay to charge 15-ish dollars per slot for only one character at a time?

I wonder how many people have filled out armory slots on even one character?

1 out of 50,000 people? Am I being generous?
    Probably.
    Edited by Tyrant_Tim on December 1, 2023 12:44AM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altoholic. I have 3 of every class on one account, working on another 20 on a second account. Both use the bottom slot as a soft reset, top slot as the most common build I use. Have no use for extra slots.
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altoholic. I have 3 of every class on one account, working on another 20 on a second account. Both use the bottom slot as a soft reset, top slot as the most common build I use. Have no use for extra slots.

Makes me sad it's not possible to have 3 of every class. give me that last character slot ZoS!
    Antiquities Addict
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most of my toons now use at least 2 armory slots for different tasks, like trials vs overland, or overland vs thieving, or two different PvP gear setups. My necro has an EC build and a regular one, but doesn’t need to switch mid trial.

Like someone said above, the armory assistant doesn’t work in trials for us console players. A few people on our trials group have to change gear and skills manually before the last boss in the trial we are now running. If PC players can do this with an add-on I don’t see why the restriction for us. Does having a free add-on not constitute p2w but crowns assistant does? We can’t help it if it is the only option we have,

EDIT: sorry it’s late and I am tired, can’t type
    Edited by katanagirl1 on December 1, 2023 5:45AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On one hand I suppose I'm just an idiot because I change my setups a lot and it costs me gold to redo my skills and CP every time.

On the other hand I just think the game is becoming too easy. What other people call "quality of life" I think of as borderline exploiting... Except it's not exploiting, because I guess that's just the way it's done now.

I like the challenge of having a set-up that's good at a lot of things. Or at least can complete one goddang thing without drastic changes mid-way. I don't know why that ever stopped being a thing.

I'm the same way; I just use one build, one gear set, one skill bar setup, on my main regardless of what type of content I'm doing. Well, I do temporarily swap my Ultimate when I want to solo Wuyuvus, and I swap one of my CP skills when I'm fencing stolen goods. I also temporarily remove my heavy armor when I'm doing a Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood daily, so I can sneak around undetected more easily. But other than that, I'm not into respeccing my stats, switching gear, totally switching my skills, etc. I've never once used the Armory (yet), although I did buy the assistant when it was on sale, and even bought an extra slot for each of my mains, intending that someday I'll eventually start using the Armory-- maybe.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On PC we has stuff like dressing room forever. More limited as you only change gear and slots on bars but help a lot, has one setup for overland with ring of the wild hunt. Another for dungeons, on templar I have two healing build.
    Now I see the armory as more suited for swapping build totally around, but its naturally for me to change build say before the boss in an dlc.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ---Armory quality of life improvements---

7. Allow Roles, Personalities, Mounts, and Titles to be saved as part of Armory saved builds. It's quite annoying swapping from one build to another, then queuing for a dungeon, only to remember you forgot to change your group Role. Builds are centered on a specific Role anyway; it should be saved as part of the build. Personalities, Mounts, and Titles would be awesome, additional build aspects that go along with saved Outfits! Kind of surprising we don't have this already.
    wrlrr0tyesao.png

19. Add the ability to share builds with other players. It's extremely common for players to ask other players about their build (CP slotted, sets used, traits, Skills and morphs, ect). It would be really helpful to be able to share Armory builds via a clickable link, similar to how we share housing links in chat.
    bj6vjgjoihsi.png

51. Allow players to lock Armory builds. Every single time I go to equip a build, I worry that I'm going to accidentally save over my build instead! The notifications for "Are you sure you want to equip Build X?" and "Are you sure you want to save over Build X"? are IMPERCEPTIBLY different. They use the SAME Accept key bind, and offer absolutely no safeguards. If I accidentally press "R" instead of "E", maybe because they're right next to each other on the board, and instinctively press "E" again, then I just created an hour of work having to put my build back together (skills, mundus, transformation, sets) from pure memory ...
    dvxdzb2w5int.gif

I think giving the Armory Assistant a separate inventory for storing armory builds is too Pay-to-Win. Instead, if they are going to keep it a per Character purchase, I'd like to see the cost changed to a cost dependent on how many slots the player has. Starting players with only 1 Armory Slot is very limiting. Make the first upgrade cost 500 Crowns, the second 1000, the third 1500, ect.

How many slots does the average player, that uses the Armory system, end up purchasing? Personally, I purchased 4 upgrades (5 total) on my main so that I can have Tank, Healer, DPS, PvP builds + 1 slot to mess around with. My alts just have 1 upgrade each for whatever roles I wanted them for + PvP.
    Edited by Billium813 on December 1, 2023 3:36PM
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When armory came out I put it in my house and checked out how it is working, and that's about it all, haven't even looked at it since then. I mainly play healers in trials, each char has 5+ - 10+ different setups, the current form of armory with it's character based limitations and it's crown price makes it completely useless for me compared to dressing addons.

Make it account wide and purchasable for gold and I will use it, otherwise as far as I'm concerned it was just waste of game developer effort and time.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they should use a system similar to what SWTOR does. If you purchase the armory slot with crowns it's unlocked for your entire account. If you purchase a slot with gold then it's character specific.

Regarding the armory backpack, it would be acceptable only if it's optional to use. I use healer sets across all classes so I don't want them locked up in the armor for only one toon when they're a pain to gold out.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Crown price for armory slots is fine if they were account wide. I bought a couple on different characters not realizing they were tied to that character and was honestly put off and don't plan on buying any more.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rageypoo wrote: »
    So we all use em...

I don't. I was going to use it for the first time recently but honestly don't feel comfortable with how it is set up.
    PCNA
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Crown price for armory slots is fine if they were account wide. I bought a couple on different characters not realizing they were tied to that character and was honestly put off and don't plan on buying any more.

No they are definitely not.

1,500 x 7? That’s 10,500 Crowns. Ridiculous.

Edit; Sorry, I forgot you start with 2, not 3. You would need to spend 12,000 Crowns even if it was simplified to account-wide.
    Edited by Tyrant_Tim on December 2, 2023 12:17AM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, the solution is to have one character per role/build and simply switch characters rather than setups. I have 20 characters but still use both armoury slots on a lot of them, the lack of a third stops me playing around with setups too much.

1500 per slot per character is over the top, even a discounted 'multi character' purchase might entice more people. They could be stored the same as name and race change tokens are stored in the character selection screen.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »

Why do you need 7? Most people don’t need more than a couple extra armory slots.

The problem though is them being 1500 Crowns per slot per character. It should be an extra slot for all characters.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Why do you need 7? Most people don’t need more than a couple extra armory slots.

The problem though is them being 1500 Crowns per slot per character. It should be an extra slot for all characters.

Playing one character for any extended period of time, you will make several different builds, some of which are as simple as saving duplicate loadouts, one with vampirism, one without, or with different mundus stones. Just in that alone there are three of your ten slots, now imagine that on tank, healer, and damage, you’ve just hit nine of your ten.

Not every loadout needs to be a drastic change.
    Edited by Tyrant_Tim on December 2, 2023 12:57AM
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the question that must be asked is: Of the people that use the Armory system, how many slots are you using?

I personally have 5, but I can see 4 being fine (Tank, Healer, DPS, PvP). I think I'm in the minority too with so many slots, but this is just for my main. My alts are different.
    Edited by Billium813 on December 2, 2023 1:17AM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Edit; Sorry, I forgot you start with 2, not 3. You would need to spend 12,000 Crowns even if it was simplified to account-wide.
    You definitely don't need 10 armoury slots per character, even if you stayed with the 'free' 10 character slots. You still need to carry the gear you're not using, which would mean up to a potential 130-140 slots just for armour/weapons/jewelry, and no sane person is going to waste those slots on every character.

Most people would be happy with an extra 2 or 3 slots per character and even then, only use them all on a few. The only exceptions I see are those that only play a single character and use it for everything.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rageypoo wrote: »
    So we all use em...

I don't. I was going to use it for the first time recently but honestly don't feel comfortable with how it is set up.
    The only problem I've had with them is that you play around with skills or champion points as you earn them and forget to update the saves. Then when you 'restore' a save, you lose the changes you've been using recently.

I'm CP2050 and some of my saves sere more than 500-600 CP old.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »

Most people would be happy with an extra 2 or 3 slots per character and even then, only use them all on a few. The only exceptions I see are those that only play a single character and use it for everything.

Did you skip over the part where I said that loadouts can be tweaks to your build?

For example, I have a PvP loadout that is EXACTLY the same as another one, except my Mundus Stone is the Lover for CP or the Serpent for Battlegrounds. I can’t exactly go hunt down a mundus stone when I’m in Cyrodiil queued for Battlegrounds, and I certainly can’t just drop my Vampire bite and go get it again.

You can hold three different builds in your inventory that add up to 10 slots but no one wants to spend the money on them.