Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

Newer horse models so much better

GLP323b14_ESO
GLP323b14_ESO
✭✭✭✭

Well at least the Grand Nibenese Stallion which I'm currently looking at in game looks pretty good. More like a normal horse. (Outside the fancy styling of it's mane and tail - which also looks good).

I was just thinking of the first original horse models and wondering if the guy they hired for them impressed Zenimax with his resume "Worked on My Little Pony for 15 years" 😄

Anyhow, good work on these newer horse models. Also the newer coat/fur textures seem less like it's made from plastic.
PC/NA @GP323
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes they also no longer have that creepy mannequin look...I for one am very appreciative
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they fix the back legs?
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks as bad as the other ones to me, because it uses the exact same animation and skeleton, which has awful proportions and legs. They need to make a new one for horses instead of splashing new paint on the old one trying to make it work.

@Pelanora so no, the legs are not fixed, because it's the same legs as always.

Also loathe how far back the mane begins on all the horses, and the extreme lack of forelock
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the first 2 seater is pretty bad. definitely not worth the price for more than the utility of it.
    Edited by Dr_Con on November 29, 2023 2:19AM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh. No. The newer ones are only wrong in ways other than the earlier ones. (LONG TIME horsewoman here....)

ZOS needs desparately to hire @AlienSlof to fix the horses. Soonest!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks as bad as the other ones to me, because it uses the exact same animation and skeleton, which has awful proportions and legs. They need to make a new one for horses instead of splashing new paint on the old one trying to make it work.

@Pelanora so no, the legs are not fixed, because it's the same legs as always.

Also loathe how far back the mane begins on all the horses, and the extreme lack of forelock

Ahhh crap. Really wish they sorted out the horses. How hard can it be!!!!

Logged in and......Oh no now I've realized what you mean about the mane..... I'll never unsee it lol
    Edited by Pelanora on November 29, 2023 5:36AM
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, getting animals animated right is tedious work. I guess there was no "horse person" to check the 3D model before launch.

I noticed, noone here complains about scale. Real horses are much taller than the ones we have in ESO. In the real world they would be among the smallest horse races, if not outright tall ponies.

Reworking an entire class of mounts seems a disproportionate effort, just for looks. So, I can understand that they never fixed it.
    I personally do not use horses anymore. Its too much itching in the back of my head.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on November 29, 2023 6:26AM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can it be disproportionate effort, when roblox can get horses right, how much effort can it actually be. How can they hold their head up when roblox designers can nail it but the award winning game can't. And don't they wince anytime they run into EA sims designers? Shouldn't it just be a matter of pride, honour, and glory?
    Edited by Pelanora on November 29, 2023 6:51AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hold no strong opinions about how horses look in this game. My philosophy about it is that the game series is set on a world that exists only in fantasy, not on Earth, so it's okay if things which seem to be the same as or very similar to things on Earth are actually a bit different from the Earthly versions in certain ways. :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Trundik
    Trundik
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Uh. No. The newer ones are only wrong in ways other than the earlier ones. (LONG TIME horsewoman here....)

ZOS needs desparately to hire @AlienSlof to fix the horses. Soonest!

And some sailor to fix their ships. Probably I could make a thread, but I'm sure they won't (bc it requieres a lot-lot of rework) so I won't too. Usually ships in ESO sit in water to high, are to big and don't have cross-jack or similar sail that should help with turning. I'm not even sure that animated boat on lighthouse horizon actually turns its yards to maneuver...
  • GLP323b14_ESO
    GLP323b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I hold no strong opinions about how horses look in this game. My philosophy about it is that the game series is set on a world that exists only in fantasy, not on Earth, so it's okay if things which seem to be the same as or very similar to things on Earth are actually a bit different from the Earthly versions in certain ways. :)

I suppose, however the originals looked like plastic children's toys, despite the rest of the game having more realistic graphics. They should at least look like living organic creatures.

I also play Lord of the Rings Online, a much older game with older graphics, and the horses look more realistic then the one's ESO launched with 10 years after Lotro.
    PC/NA @GP323
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelanora wrote: »

Logged in and......Oh no now I've realized what you mean about the mane..... I'll never unsee it lol

Those poor balding horses....
    I noticed, noone here complains about scale. Real horses are much taller than the ones we have in ESO. In the real world they would be among the smallest horse races, if not outright tall ponies.

When I complain about their proportions I include scale into that. Their legs are just so short, stubby and just wrong.
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOTRO's horse and pony models look and move much better than ESO's do, IMO, and that game was made like 10 years earlier than this one...

I don't understand how they made the horses look so clunky and bad in this game, when so many other aspects in this game are done so beautifully and realistically. They are rather torturous to me to ride and 100% ungraceful in their movement. They feel like riding a high speed rocking horse across the landscape.

Really a shame. :(
    ->--Willow--<-
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Livvy wrote: »
    LOTRO's horse and pony models look and move much better than ESO's do, IMO, and that game was made like 10 years earlier than this one...

They are also waaaay better at style consistency. Their horses/ponies doesn't need FX effects out the wazoo to look nice and interesting. They give them nice and varied tack and equipment instead.
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Livvy wrote: »

They are also waaaay better at style consistency. Their horses/ponies doesn't need FX effects out the wazoo to look nice and interesting. They give them nice and varied tack and equipment instead.

Yes! Really good point. Totally agree. They are tasteful and intricate and unique while still being realistic.

Horses in this world had/have sooooo much potential. It is really sad to see how they executed it.
    ->--Willow--<-
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the horses in ESO
    or the Felines or the Canines

Bears movement looks bad, as does camel

The biggest dudes look OK at higher speeds, but are not smooth

In general, none of the mounts should look like your character can drag their feet while riding. Canines and Felines should be a bit taller/larger

But the one thing that NEEDS to be removed from the game, IMHO, is ANY blinding/explosive Flash every stinking time it gets summoned. Whoever thought That was a good idea, needs to be put on coffee delivery for awhile.

:#

• AuroranGoldenEagle
    AuroranGoldenEagle
    ✭✭✭
    These days I only ever use wolves/foxes/ornaugs/felines as mounts, as they seem reletively proportionate and have smooth animations even at higher speeds.

Horses are unfortunately... a little strange in this game.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone want to actually post this new horse model?
    I’m having too much fun playing BG3 to log in just to see a horse.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelanora wrote: »
    How can it be disproportionate effort, when roblox can get horses right, how much effort can it actually be. How can they hold their head up when roblox designers can nail it but the award winning game can't. And don't they wince anytime they run into EA sims designers? Shouldn't it just be a matter of pride, honour, and glory?

Of course it would not have been disproportionate when they modelled horses at the inception. For the release, you know.
    But now? Definitely a huge project.

If they were to make changes now, they would have to fit all horse textures to the new mesh (3D model). If not we would all get stretched and distorted textures. And all the horses will look sh** in a different way.
    Just imagine refitting every horse with new textures right when you need you artists to work on the new chapter.
    And that is not even talking about the myriad of visual effects that all the cool horses have.

This is a MEGA project. Full Stop.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m not a horse expert, but the legs look much too fat. Horses have very slender legs.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not a horse expert, but the legs look much too fat. Horses have very slender legs.

Well. Yes, in racing breeds, they do. But working breeds (Shires, Percherons, Clydesdales to mention the most well known) are much more like what ESO (and Skyrim as well) have opted to use as models. Problem arises with the - ah - not very well produced models of working horses in the game itself.

My paint (a thoroughbred/grade paint quarter horse) was a trail horse - but he had very working breed legs. And very small hooves.... which didn't at all cause him issues - in fact, he was extremely sure-footed on the mountain trails around here.

And really, while I could go on for hours about working breeds down the centuries, it's not germane to the issue. Working breeds are generally larger overall than riding horses today; their legs are more solid appearing, and while they are larger, they seem "squat" because of the musculature.

The problem with the ESO horses is that there are many remarkably lovely working breed horses (Spanish Riding School for instance), but the artists here did not do the game horses well at all.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Whiterun Windsteed, even without the forelock. And the new white one, the NIbenese Stallion, which I plan to buy soon as well.

5o3dlluqlshx.png
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone want to actually post this new horse model?
    I’m having too much fun playing BG3 to log in just to see a horse.

@NeuroticPixels

It's this one they're talking about, and it's technically not new, it's returning to the crown store. It's also not using the new "models" either, it's using the second "slim" one that came after the first one. It just got different tail and mane.

pLTLrR2.png
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on December 1, 2023 4:23AM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I find rather odd when it comes to ESO's horses, is that only a few got forelocks. Like the base game horses you can buy from stables got a tiny one if you show inventory upgrade. But I think there's only a single horse that got a longer and more noticeable one, and that out of all the horses in ESO is the zombie horse. The zombie horse.

For those curious:
    b8KmNvp.png
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk about this. I kinda preferred the goofy and ridiculous looking first gen double mounts that looked way out of proportion :D
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are five generations of horse models that I know of. Forgive me for the lack of images, I'm on my phone and it'd be a little bit of a pain.

1. The OG, which favored a cartoony look. Iirc there was a brief period where they considered fixing the skeleton. They had straightened the hind legs out and eliminated that very strange swan neck, and also added a little more character to the idle stance. They didn't go through with it for some reason, and those flaws have been carried to every horse model since, as they all use the same skeleton.

2. The slim model, used by the Nibenese in question. I recall one of the things that people complained about is that the ESO horses were too "fat." (I didn't mind that aspect, I like a substantial horse.) This model's hind legs are very "swooped" from hip to hock, the belly looks quite starved, and the face is...interesting. Really what they did was carve away at the OG model and remove any muscle definition. In spite of that, it does look a little more realistic, and they did away with the dead looking cartoon eyes. Negative again, the manes lost their animation.

3. I'm going to call this the "fat slim." This one is rarely seen. Afaik the only steeds that have this model are the Meridian horses (white, black, cream). As far as I can tell, they took the second model and plumped it back up to create a heavier breed. For my money it looks a little nicer than its starved looking predecessor, but it retains a lot of its problems.

4. A fourth one that, to me, comes in two parts. I'm going to call the Scalecaller horse version 0.5 of this model. It had a better introduction in the Sovngarde crates. This was a second attempt at a heavier looking horse model. The Sovngarde horses and their brethren (the Legion Zero horses come to mind) can look quite nice from the side. Though the skeleton is still flawed, the model itself has a nice shape and a sweet face. The problems become really apparent when you spin this one to the front or the back, especially with a rider on top. It looks very...squashed, as though they realized at the last moment that if they didn't want to adjust the player model there'd be clipping, so they mouse dragged the horse narrower. Its also most apparent how inappropriate the stature of these horses can be with this model. If you refer back to version 0.5 version of this, the Scalecaller horse, these flaws are greatly exaggerated. The Scalecaller horse makes me shiver for reasons that weren't intended. Editor's note: the Wild Hunt horse may also be a variation on this model...?

5. The fifth and imo best one yet. I noticed this one first with the Ayleid horses, and since I have spotted it on the Akaviri horses, Celestial apex horse, the Dark Chivalry apex horse, and the Armiger's radiant which used the same exact model as the former. Everything they did to these horses was a marked improvement. I think someone with a passing familiarity with horses did the best they could with the restrictions of the skeleton. The model has large hooves, sensible muscle definition and more structured legs. It has a nice face with a CLOSED mouth! I'm not sure, but it feels to me as if the Dark Chivalry variant may be a smidge heavier than the others. Apart from the overtuned VFX and very... odd armor, this is one of my favorite horses to ride because it feels the most "heavy horsey" to me.

5.5. Dual rider horses don't have new models, per se. I think this is the first time we've seen any alteration to the skeleton and attachment points. I don't think the entire skeleton nor the models have been appropriately adjusted to compensate, which is why they (especially that first one) look so strange.

Whew. Correct me for any mistakes. I'm not going to address everything wrong with how the player character rides the horse, we'd be here all day. Besides, there are more well informed people on these forums that could talk about that if they wanted to.

The other mounts can be better, but I have minor grievances with those, especially the wolves, since that's a pet topic of mine. Another day, another time.
    Edited by SickleCider on December 1, 2023 4:23PM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • HelygenR
    HelygenR
    Soul Shriven
    I don't have issue with the manes starting so far back. So someone got carried away with the clippers when they were doing bridle paths. No biggie. Ditto the forelocks. But the hind leg? *shudder* Stifles should be located at nearly the same height as the elbow, not halfway down to the knee. Poor things!

And tack... don't get me started on the tack...
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't do this another ten years. Fix the horses.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The older saddles look awful.

That's all I gotta say.

I don't mind the models. My two favorite horses rn are the Nibenese and Whiterun Windsteed. They're pretty.

I also like the coloring on the dun horse. Its missing the back stripe though.