Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The updates are getting ridiculous in this game

Scarefish
Scarefish
✭✭
There are supposed to be one update every two weeks, but lately there have reliably been twice the amount, and half of them get extended. This one is 14 hours long. At that point I can't do my dailies because I'll have to leave for work when it comes back online. It's more than half a day of downtime and that's just impossible to work around.

I've never seen a game get so egregious with its downtime. Fortnite and League of Legends have nothing on this game's patches, and both of those games are two games in one client.

You would think with constant patches that this game would play as smooth as butter, but no. It's somehow even more jank than vanilla Skyrim. Horses control like golf carts. The movement feels like a PSX game. It's got stealth like Vampire Rain. I keep clipping through the environment, clipping into objects in dungeons, stealing items beside my cursor, which was over a quest NPC.

And the community is "great." 220k active players will smother you in the forums for daring to critique any aspect of their game.

Me: You should be able to open a door while in combat. Guards shouldn't be invincible. The crowd control throughout the game is preposterous and insurmountable, especially for a stamina character who uses that attribute for combat. I'm sick of campers in Imperial City. I'm sick of clipping into things and having to port to a house to get unstuck. Leaver queue shouldn't apply when your teammates leave before you. The crafting bag is a scummy monetization tactic for a game that already charges a premium price for the base game, charges top-dollar for each of its many expansions, has pay-to-win assistants, microtransactions and whale content with a rotating shop, etc.

Others: So you just want the game to play itself then? You don't want the game to have any consequences; no stakes.


This always gets me. People defending a lack of Quality of Life features by proclaiming that this is a pristinely designed gameplay challenge, and not some jank spaghetti coding that will ruin the flow of the game for a contemporary player. By this same strand of "logic" that these people use, you could argue that anything that makes the game harder for any reason should be furthered as it adds a challenge to the game. They should charge more for fast-traveling in the game, lower the movement speed cap and base movement speed, add a hunger system, make equipment break, and remove the ability to respawn on-the-fly using soul gems.

0.0028% of the world's population is deciding "perfection." They are making this, of all games, an elitist disaster. An off-putting mess for the average gamer who comes in, struggles with the controls, and realizes they're expected to fork up hundreds of dollars upfront just to ride a horse faster than the average person can run and unlock the ability to do anything anywhere at any time. If anything, the pay-to-win features are the real consequence-free aspect of the gameplay.

And all this to get more updates that add more half-baked features in the game that pile on more and more QoL issues. It's like Zenimax is just copying Warframe's homework at this point. One year down the road we'll have Skateboarding, Battle Chess, pub games, Horse-racing, skeever mazes, gardening, Fashion Show, Death Run, Battle Royale, Zombies, sea exploration, tower defense, and probably even a Clicker game. They might even add a strand-type game to the mix just so the game won't get stale.
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But how do you really feel?
  • fall0athboy
    fall0athboy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scarefish wrote: »
    Me: You should be able to open a door while in combat.

    I agree, but I understand why they don't have that.
    Scarefish wrote: »
    Guards shouldn't be invincible.

    Why?
    Scarefish wrote: »
    I'm sick of campers in Imperial City.

    And what do you want ZOS to do about it?
    Scarefish wrote: »
    I'm sick of clipping into things and having to port to a house to get unstuck.

    How often is this happening?
    Scarefish wrote: »
    Leaver queue shouldn't apply when your teammates leave before you.

    I agree.
    Scarefish wrote: »
    They should charge more for fast-traveling in the game, lower the movement speed cap and base movement speed, add a hunger system, make equipment break, and remove the ability to respawn on-the-fly using soul gems.

    Are you actually proposing these things or are using them as an example?
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand your dislikes, but I truly do not understand why you are still playing the game that gives you so much negative experience. Why not move on and find something that you can truly enjoy (including the better community)?
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @fall0athboy, nothing actionable about what OP suggested would break the game.

    Also, no they weren’t proposing it, they were saying that the line of thinking used to argue QoA improvements could be furthered to include all of those terrible things for the community.
  • Scarefish
    Scarefish
    ✭✭
    Scarefish wrote: »
    Guards shouldn't be invincible.

    Why?

    Because it breaks immersion. If you compare this to other games, I don't recall others having invincible law enforcement, even if they're online experiences. This is a slapdash fix that was easier than having guards path better and enter doors, like they did in the older games in the series.
    Scarefish wrote: »
    I'm sick of campers in Imperial City.

    And what do you want ZOS to do about it?

    I'd be fine if there was more queues like in the Cyrodiil campaign. Occasionally I find there's campers in both queues and I just have to come back another day to farm up coffers.
    Scarefish wrote: »
    I'm sick of clipping into things and having to port to a house to get unstuck.

    How often is this happening?

    It should be so rare that I forget that it ever happens. This happens most often in public dungeons for some reason.
    Scarefish wrote: »
    They should charge more for fast-traveling in the game, lower the movement speed cap and base movement speed, add a hunger system, make equipment break, and remove the ability to respawn on-the-fly using soul gems.

    Are you actually proposing these things or are using them as an example?

    I was using this as an example of ways to make the game objectively worse to appease the elitists.
  • fall0athboy
    fall0athboy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scarefish wrote: »
    I'd be fine if there was more queues like in the Cyrodiil campaign. Occasionally I find there's campers in both queues and I just have to come back another day to farm up coffers

    That's reasonable, though I do understand why they have so few. It would risk spreading the population out of a very low population to begin with.

    Scarefish wrote: »
    I was using this as an example of ways to make the game objectively worse to appease the elitists.

    I don't think anyone wants movement to be slower, to have equipment break, or to have a hunger system.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scarefish wrote: »
    I was using this as an example of ways to make the game objectively worse to appease the elitists.

    I don't think anyone wants movement to be slower, to have equipment break, or to have a hunger system.

    If I wanted that, I'd boot up Fallout 4 Survival Mode.
    Call me Mait
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't think anyone wants movement to be slower, to have equipment break, or to have a hunger system.
    That would be a nightmare.

    Edited by ESO_player123 on November 28, 2023 10:17PM
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone wants movement to be slower, to have equipment break, or to have a hunger system.

    I would love it if this was optional. <3
    @ Yffre'sTrill - PC/EU (No Steam)
    -
    Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
    Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, and Nilvani.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

    I don't think anyone wants movement to be slower, to have equipment break, or to have a hunger system.
    That would be a nightmare.

    Movement was a lot slower back in Vanilla, and we survived. lol
  • Vonnegut2506
    Vonnegut2506
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »

    I don't think anyone wants movement to be slower, to have equipment break, or to have a hunger system.
    That would be a nightmare.

    Movement was a lot slower back in Vanilla, and we survived. lol

    People survived before electricity too, but I don't want to go back to those days either.
  • darkriketz
    Wait, are you so furious about this unusually long maintenance - I agree, it's annoying - that you have totally imagined what people could answer to the critics that you have against TESO ?
    Are you that insanely angry that you have to picture some fantasy about people arguing just for you to be angrier and your opinion to be confirmed ?
    Waw, you need to get out and breathe fresh air.

    Also, invincible guards is a good thing to me in a MMORPG. In Skyrim, you could kill them and it barely had consequences. Now imagine in TESO, someone slaughter every guards of a specific city. It would have unpredictible consequences on every other player behaviour, and would unleash chaos by offering players a mean to artificially create thieves and murders havens.
    No thank you.

    Also, as someone told it earlier, if I wanted to move slowly and suffer from hunger, pain or let's say, disease and cold, I would play Don't starve or The long dark.
    I love The long dark.
    Edited by darkriketz on November 28, 2023 10:28PM
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand your dislikes, but I truly do not understand why you are still playing the game that gives you so much negative experience. Why not move on and find something that you can truly enjoy (including the better community)?

    I play the game because I love it. ZOS, now that's another kettle of fish.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um, this is a hardware maintenance related to the server upgrades earlier this year, not a software maintenance such as we get every other week. We don't get hardware maintenance very often; in fact, they're pretty rare.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay to win Assistants? Please....elaborate.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Scarefish
    Scarefish
    ✭✭
    Pay to win Assistants? Please....elaborate.

    There are three types that trivialize inventory management for dungeoning. A banker, a deconstructor, and a merchant. Optionally you can unlock the smuggler as well. With these assistants you don't have to plan anything beforehand. You can immediately call up assistants to sell off junk/treasure/intricates, deconstructor to decon gear, and a banker to store anything you want. Players without these will have to forego a lot of loot in dungeons, and frequently go out of their way to visit merchants and bankers.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm glad they are updating more regularly. I hate waiting 2 weeks for a fix.
  • Scarefish
    Scarefish
    ✭✭
    darkriketz wrote: »
    Wait, are you so furious about this unusually long maintenance - I agree, it's annoying - that you have totally imagined what people could answer to the critics that you have against TESO ?
    Are you that insanely angry that you have to picture some fantasy about people arguing just for you to be angrier and your opinion to be confirmed ?
    Waw, you need to get out and breathe fresh air.

    Also, invincible guards is a good thing to me in a MMORPG. In Skyrim, you could kill them and it barely had consequences. Now imagine in TESO, someone slaughter every guards of a specific city. It would have unpredictible consequences on every other player behaviour, and would unleash chaos by offering players a mean to artificially create thieves and murders havens.
    No thank you.

    Also, as someone told it earlier, if I wanted to move slowly and suffer from hunger, pain or let's say, disease and cold, I would play Don't starve or The long dark.
    I love The long dark.

    I'm more active in the Reddit community for this game, where I have voiced numerous complaints - mainly the ones I mentioned here, and have gotten the zombie-response "You just don't want consequences" many times. People there have even defended the crafting bag thing as being a challenge rather than a predatory monetization feature.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scarefish wrote: »
    One year down the road we'll have Skateboarding, Battle Chess, pub games, Horse-racing, skeever mazes, gardening, Fashion Show, Death Run, Battle Royale, Zombies, sea exploration, tower defense, and probably even a Clicker game. They might even add a strand-type game to the mix just so the game won't get stale.

    Really?? Wow, I can’t wait!!! 🤩
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand your dislikes, but I truly do not understand why you are still playing the game that gives you so much negative experience. Why not move on and find something that you can truly enjoy (including the better community)?

    I play the game because I love it. ZOS, now that's another kettle of fish.

    I was asking the OP, and from their opening post I do not see much love for the game. What I saw is a lot of negative emotions. If that is how a game makes a player feel, it's time to move one. That is what I would do. Hence, my question.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scarefish wrote: »
    Pay to win Assistants? Please....elaborate.

    There are three types that trivialize inventory management for dungeoning. A banker, a deconstructor, and a merchant. Optionally you can unlock the smuggler as well. With these assistants you don't have to plan anything beforehand. You can immediately call up assistants to sell off junk/treasure/intricates, deconstructor to decon gear, and a banker to store anything you want. Players without these will have to forego a lot of loot in dungeons, and frequently go out of their way to visit merchants and bankers.

    So they're convenience items, nothing at all to do with "winning".

    Without knowing your platform and system specs it's impossible to comment on your performance issues, especially as I don't suffer from them. Perhaps you could elaborate.

    I played WoW on and off for a few years, and they had NPCS that could be killed and nothing was more ruinous to my immersion than entering my main city and finding it strewn with corpses and not a live NPC in sight.

    It sounds to me like you might be better suited to single player and survival games rather than MMORPGs.
  • Scarefish
    Scarefish
    ✭✭
    I understand your dislikes, but I truly do not understand why you are still playing the game that gives you so much negative experience. Why not move on and find something that you can truly enjoy (including the better community)?

    I play the game because I love it. ZOS, now that's another kettle of fish.

    I was asking the OP, and from their opening post I do not see much love for the game. What I saw is a lot of negative emotions. If that is how a game makes a player feel, it's time to move one. That is what I would do. Hence, my question.

    The reason I play the game is primarily because in Skyrim the Argonians and Khajiit got a massive glow-up. I'm, admittedly, pretty much a furry, and the argonians are one of the best anthropomorphic races I've seen in a video game. I pretty much won't touch an RPG if it doesn't have beast races. I'm very attached to my argonian. The roleplaying aspect of ESO does nearly all of the heavy-lifting in spite of the glaring flaws with the gameplay and monetization.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Guards shouldn’t be killable. Too many players in the game, the guards would be dead 100% of the time. That’s not fun.

    It’s fun trying to navigate through a city with a really high bounty knowing the guards can mess you up.
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in before against TOS
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    I'm glad they are updating more regularly. I hate waiting 2 weeks for a fix.

    Well, Sun Shield still has no animation so what exactly were we waiting for?

    It’s been more than two weeks and an ability core to an already unfavorable playstyle has no animation. This is the most subliminal push away from Templar tanking I have ever seen.
  • Scarefish
    Scarefish
    ✭✭
    My love is largely for the world, the lore, and especially the argonians. They look incredible in this game, and there's really not many games that allow you to play as a cool beast-race. The strengths of this game seem to be a power-fantasy where you can do anything you really want and be everything in a truncated museum-tour take on the world of Tamriel, where everything is condensed so you get a small idea of what the world would look like if it were at its 16x scale lore-accurate size.

    Part of my reasons for treating the game like this are the inclusion of Eiditic Memory, and timebending shenanigans to include future lorebooks and document them and fill out your collections.
  • Sinlar
    Sinlar
    ✭✭✭
    This one can tell you, that in early beta, we made them understand why guards cannot be killable in any manner.
    Hhehe
  • Trundik
    Trundik
    ✭✭✭
    Scarefish wrote: »
    I've never seen a game get so egregious with its downtime.

    .

    Diablo 4 on its release had long downtimes at weekends (supposed to be best time to play but no), so basically its a tendence in game industry to be that level of service. I was joking with friends that in present days when you want to find a job as developer, when you read company demands, it feels like you must know and could do everything, like professor, but later some kind of magic happens and those professors that actually got those jobs release something everywhere bugged, like there was no real testing, or sell you something like Cthulhu statue with poor textures that never will be fixed.

    For me worst part here was when they turned off gifts and I missed dragon's statue until late 2024. Kevin said that they maybe will do somthing but maybe not and it was month a go. No update atm.

  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still on the movement thing. I run full Swift, wild hunt, and steed often and I think the non-miunted caps should be lower, but; the reason I do it is because im constantly stuck in combat. Or have been historically. It's been better lately but still happens way too much

    Other than that, I'm all for as much maintenance as they want. I do t want to discourage their efforts
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on November 29, 2023 4:03AM
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinlar wrote: »
    This one can tell you, that in early beta, we made them understand why guards cannot be killable in any manner.
    Hhehe

    I see dead people, everywhere...

    I remember. That and the crabs.
Sign In or Register to comment.