Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Please make AP tripots a reality: A follow up

Dekrypted
Dekrypted
✭✭✭✭✭
I'd like to reopen the discussion regarding this topic as the previous thread was closed. Quoting the original poster in the previous thread:
Both stam and mag dps have alternatives to crafted potions that can be purchase with AP. Support roles, ESPECIALLY tanks rely on tripots as their main potion, but have to shell out hundreds of thousands for a consumable that can be burned through pretty quickly. Columbine prices right now are higher than ever, and they're a key ingredient in tripots AND Bewitched Sugar Skulls, which is another useful tank consumable.

I feel like the gold required to just play a tank is another reason why tanks are a rare sight compared to other roles, and serves as an unnecessary barrier for entry. Introducing AP tripots would alleviate the high cost and make playing a tank or a healer more appealing, and it would give pvpers with a ton of AP a nice consistent way to make gold.

I believe this to be a great idea. With the current offerings that exist within the game, the price for tri pots is too high. I personally was hoping that with the introduction of Endless Archive and the ability to use its currency to get materials, the cost may begin to lower but atleast as of right now I'm not seeing any immediate reprieve.

It may take longer for these materials entering in circulation to lower the cost. I for one am a fan of bringing more people into the fold when it comes to PvP despite how frustrating it can be to learn and experience it, but creating more incentives to have players experience all aspects of ESO is something I think is an overall positive thing. Having Alliance Tri-Pots, I believe, can aid in that. It would create another incentive for players to participate in Battlegrounds as well as Cyrodiil and Imperial City even if its just for the Alliance Point gain alone. Seasoned PvPers would have another avenue to make gold helping them out with their costs for making PvP builds as I expect a large meta shift to come in the next year or so and that'd be an overall boon for the in-game economy.

ESO is not like it was years ago and these types of interventions that can be done on the Development side with something as simple as adding in a new potion would be an excellent quality of life improvement for the game. In the past with the introduction of the Alliance Weapon/Spell power pots, I can recall giving millions of AP worth of these to my PvE friends and the appreciation they had was second to none. I can only wonder if that was one of the reasons they took me along given my terrible DPS :D

I would ask in this thread that things remain on topic and we refrain from trying to derail the topic as I'd like it not to be closed. IMO its a good idea and I 100% support it. If this feedback can be passed onto the development team, @ZOS_Kevin, it would be greatly appreciated as well.
PC NA
March 2014 - December 2023
No longer active

Templar Main
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Completely agree that alliance tri-pots would be an awesome QoL change that would help the greater player-base.

That same change done to weapon/spell power pots was an insanely huge boon for the player-base at large, making the (at the time) BiS potions very widely accessible, even to those who could not afford the materials to craft their own.

I know, I gave about 3-5 stacks worth of the weapon power pots to a PvE friend who played at that time and they were eternally grateful for those. I also helped them get their own alliance power pots too, bringing them along on my PvP runs.
    It's a shame the other thread got derailed by a troll... Seems to be a big problem on threads that pop up that have any semblance of talking about things that may help PvP players (even indirectly).
    Hopefully it doesn't happen here too, as this suggestion (as proven by the same change made to power pots in the past) would be a huge QoL boon to the vast majority of the player-base.

The only other change that would have a somewhat similar effect to adding tri-pots to AP would be if crown tri-pots could be traded. Apparently there's a fair number of players sitting on many of those and if they could sell those as well, that would help to bring the price of tri-pots down for everyone (at least for a while).

Maybe do both changes, make tri-pots available for AP and make the crown tri-pots tradable.

Also, Columbine will still hold a really high price. It has that many other uses outside of tri-pots that it's impossible for its price to drop too much if tri-stat potions are made easily available via AP/EA/other currencies.

Other uses for Columbine include:
    • Bewitched Sugar Skulls - requires 2 per food item (BiS tri-stat food)
    • Resource drain poisons (BiS poisons, especially for PvP)
    • Heroism Potions (BiS potions for both PvE and PvP)
    • Unstoppable/detection potions (mandatory PvP potion, alongside tri-pots, even more so now with NB being so strong)
    • Healing + regen + invis potions (more niche, but very strong ganking/stealth potions)
    • Jewels of Misrule ("Budget" version of BiS PvP food Smoked Bear Haunch)
    • Triple Trifle Pocket (Budget stamina version of Smoked Bear Haunch, has a lot more max health/stam recovery than haunch but no mag or health recoveries)
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    +1 to AP Tri-Pots.

As someone who mains a tank whenever I leave Cyrodiil, this would be a massive help.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you think current prices for something are too high, do the work yourself and provide items to market for whatever prices you think are fair 👍Keep doing that until prices globally settle in your desired range. This is player driven economy, it is all in your hands ;)

Do not tell other players for how much they should be selling results of their hard work and time investment, thanks ! :)
  • Dekrypted
    Dekrypted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    If you think current prices for something are too high, do the work yourself and provide items to market for whatever prices you think are fair 👍Keep doing that until prices globally settle in your desired range. This is player driven economy, it is all in your hands ;)

Do not tell other players for how much they should be selling results of their hard work and time investment, thanks ! :)

Thanks for your feedback.
    PC NA
    No longer active

Templar Main
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here’s a bit of perspective…

When I run out of tri-pots, I stop playing any characters that require them, or use basic trash pots. I haven’t purchased potions at a trader since 2016. I simply stop playing my characters or play at a weaker efficiency until they come back around in the monthly calendar.

Now this is my personal experience, but I wonder how many other tanks do the exact same? Is it safe to assume a lot?

Let’s think about it for a second.

What is the hardest role to fill in groupfinder?
    • Tank?

Would it be reaching to say that due to the extreme costs of gearing and sustaining them players feel discouraged, and if not, where are they?

Now I understand that tri-pots are only part of the tools needed by us, but it seems like the perfect starting point to start pushing for even more changes, like better accessibility to Hakeijos.
  • Ph1p
    Ph1p
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For context, I'm fine regarding the proposal, despite being a trader who occasionally sells Columbine. I just want to share a thought experiment based on PC EU data:
    • If the new AP tri-stat potions are priced like other Alliance ones, they would cost 720 AP or 144k AP per stack.
    • If you are sitting on tons of AP, say 250k, you can buy a Militant Ordinator motif page. Legs for example, sell for ~200k gold on guild traders.
    • 200k gold should get you about 100 Columbine, which is enough for 2 stacks of tri-stat potions
    • This route is available to PVP players today and costs 125k AP per stack of potions.
    • Of course, crafting also requires other (albeit much cheaper) materials, while trading takes a bit of time and effort, just like everything else in this game. Prices also vary, although I think I low-balled the motif price and you can find Columbine below 2000 gold as well.

EDIT: Typo
    Edited by Ph1p on November 23, 2023 9:59AM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ph1p wrote: »
    For context, I'm fine regarding the proposal, despite being a trader who occasionally sells Columbine. I just want to share a thought experiment based on PC EU data:
    • If the new AP tri-stat potions are priced like other Alliance ones, they would cost 720 AP or 144k AP per stack.
    • If you are sitting on tons of AP, say 250k, you can buy a Militant Ordinator motif page. Legs for example, sell for ~200k gold on guild traders.
    • 200k gold should get you about 100 Columbine, which is enough for 2 stacks of tri-stat potions
    • This route is available to PVP players today and costs 125k AP per stack of potions.
    • Of course, crafting also requires other (albeit much cheaper) materials, while trading takes a bit of time and effort, just like everything else in this game. Prices also vary, although I think I low-balled the motif price and you can find Columbine below 2000 gold as well.

EDIT: Typo

On PCna columbine is 4k or more each last I checked. 250k AP gets you less than 1 stack of tri stat potions based off your conversion (most AP to gold is around 2 AP for 1 gold).

Needless to say ap tri pots would be an incredible addition to the game and would be an amazing QoL change for pvpers, tanks, pve dps, arena/endless archive players, questers, and the like.
    Edited by gariondavey on November 23, 2023 3:29PM
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Needless to say ap tri pots would be an incredible addition to the game and would be an amazing QoL change for pvpers, tanks, pve dps, arena/endless archive players, questers, and the like.

Fixed :) Only pvpers here out of everyone named are getting AP, the rest are not. Know your currency sources :)
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Fixed :) Only pvpers here out of everyone named are getting AP, the rest are not. Know your currency sources :)

Sorry but the other player types you crossed out would benefit from this change too, as many PVP-ers would buy the pots and sell them on the open markets.....

So as a Qol change it would benefit everyone who uses tri stat pots!
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »

Sorry but the other player types you crossed out would benefit from this change too, as many PVP-ers would buy the pots and sell them on the open markets.....

Ohhh, ok... :) So real intention is to profit from groups who don't and won't get potions in their content with this change?
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ohhh, ok... :) So real intention is to profit from groups who don't and won't get potions in their content with this change?

Make them bind on pickup... problem solved if that is your concern.

• Ph1p
    Ph1p
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PCna columbine is 4k or more each last I checked. 250k AP gets you less than 1 stack of tri stat potions based off your conversion (most AP to gold is around 2 AP for 1 gold).

Yes, Columbine is more expensive on PC NA, but so is the motif. Per TTC data, it is listed at 500-600k vs. 200-300k on PC EU. Even if I just take 400k as a conservative estimate, that comes out to the same conversion as in my original example for PC EU.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's only a benefit to the community as a whole if they sell them at reasonable prices to bring the cost of tripots down, and if they are priced cheaply enough to do so for ap, and pvp players are willing to do so.

Given that everyone here says that the major issue is really how many they consume, all ap tri pots will do is reduce demand from one sector based on this information.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you can't engage in conversation without blatantly trying to incite contentious discourse, just don't reply at all please.

It would be amazing for everyone listed because tri pot prices would come down drastically in price.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »

It's only a benefit to the community as a whole if they sell them at reasonable prices to bring the cost of tripots down, and if they are priced cheaply enough to do so for ap, and pvp players are willing to do so.

Given that everyone here says that the major issue is really how many they consume, all ap tri pots will do is reduce demand from one sector based on this information.

We have already seen what happened to the price of spell power and weapon power pots when the ap purchased versions were introduced and yes at the time those pots were introduced they were still the most popular go to potion.

Not only did the price of crafted spell power potions decrease but also the prices of the ingredients used to craft them, cornflower is worth around a third less now than it used to be.

As has been pointed out Columbine is used in a few very popular recipes/potions so the price decrease for that may be less but on the other hand I have a few tank friends who would love to be able to buy ready made tri stat potions, rather than having to farm or earn gold to buy/craft the current ones. :)
    Edited by freespirit on November 23, 2023 5:49PM
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • M4RSHM4LL0W_CL0UD
    M4RSHM4LL0W_CL0UD
    ✭✭✭

When ZOS introduced AP Battle/Spell Draughts, believe it or not PvPers DID sell them substantially cheaper than their crafted alternatives, which was MASSIVE as someone who burned through these when I did dungeons/trials.

Nowadays whenever I feel like dpsing, I can buy a stack of battle draughts and not break the bank doing so; I feel like I'm not limited in playing that role to my heart's content because of the price of one consumable.

Since the introduction of AP dps pots, I've branched out and made my main toon an additional healer and tank setup. I play nightblade, so no matter what content I do I should ideally be chugging potions down on cooldown to build as much ultimate as I can. While the extra stamina from tripots is really nice on a healer for block/dodge/sprint intensive fights, I can cope just using the trash magicka pots to keep ultigen and mag regen up. On tank though, for difficult fights tripots feel mandatory and it SUCKS to have to think "Welp, there goes my last crown tripot for the next two weeks." and shelving the tank role unless I choose to spend hundreds of thousands on a single stack of potions. And when I DO spend that much to keep tanking, I still have to limit how much I play before all the gold in my bank disappears.

My point with the initial thread wasn't about filling PvPers pockets, as you're so pressed to believe. It's about lessening the blow on PvEers pockets for those that love doing dungeons/trials/arenas and hard content that requires these tripots.

IF ZOS added potions drops to bosses, I would completely be in support of it. I would applaud ANYTHING that would lower the cost of these potions in guild traders. BUT they've never implemented such a system, which is why I suggested the AP route: it already exists! And I doubt it would take Zenimax much effort to give tripots the Alliance Draught treatment that the BiS dps pots have already received. <3
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would absolutely buy tri-pots with Alliance Points or any currency other than with Gold at guild traders if given the opportunity.

We can already buy alchemy ingredients with Tel Var Stones or with Archival Fortunes, so tri-pots theoretically can already be made within PvP and PvE environments. It may require us to level the Alchemy skill line, but it's clear that we don't need to interact with the player economy to get access to tri-pots, which is good.
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you expect 1 player to have an effect on an economy of milions? First it is impossible. Second why would someonw a a group waste so much energy for fixing the game? Devs can make AP tri pots and it is DONE.

What you say makes no sense at all.
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't PVP much and I sell columbine for obscene amounts regularly, but I 100% support this.

No one should have to engage in content they find unpleasant in order to be effective in the content they do enjoy!

And the price of columbine is absolutely insane at present; if quality of life for players is increased overall, I couldn't care less if I lose out on some profits.
    @ Yffre'sTrill - PC/EU (No Steam)
    -
    Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
    Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, and Nilvani.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, please. This has been consistently requested even when the game and its forum was super active compared to now.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on November 24, 2023 2:22AM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that having the tri pots coming from Cyrodiil would be a win for all parties.

Pvp players can continue to make money via selling pots.
    Pve focused players can purchase pots with gold they’ve made from plunder (assuming they are doing vet trials.

• Dekrypted
    Dekrypted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't PVP much and I sell columbine for obscene amounts regularly, but I 100% support this.

No one should have to engage in content they find unpleasant in order to be effective in the content they do enjoy!

And the price of columbine is absolutely insane at present; if quality of life for players is increased overall, I couldn't care less if I lose out on some profits.

Faith restored in humanity. Love this comment
    PC NA
    No longer active

Templar Main
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭
    I agree to OP. I've talked about this and brought this up for a long time.

+1 to AP tri pots.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/645636/new-alliance-draught-pvp-potion#latest
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    +1
    Who needs tri-pots most? PvP players . Then on second place tanks.

What kind of potions can PvP players buy? PvE potions

ZOS logic!
    Because I can!
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You don't need to pvp much to get enough AP to buy some potions. I have a LOT of trial buddies that keep themselves comfortably in potions year round by participating in MYM and ignoring pvp when the event isn't on.

There is also AP from login rewards, and for those who want more AP without the PvP, there is the tried and true keep repairing.

And yeah, if people truly don't want to do any of that, it would be great if the people who DO want to do those things could sell the people that don't more potions... you know, like they already do witb spell and weapon power potions...
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You don't need to pvp much to get enough AP to buy some potions. I have a LOT of trial buddies that keep themselves comfortably in potions year round by participating in MYM and ignoring pvp when the event isn't on.

There is also AP from login rewards, and for those who want more AP without the PvP, there is the tried and true keep repairing.

And yeah, if people truly don't want to do any of that, it would be great if the people who DO want to do those things could sell the people that don't more potions... you know, like they already do witb spell and weapon power potions...

They can also collect double nodes during events, use tri pots form login rewards, do alchemy writs and surveys... and if they don't want to... those who did those things could sell them :)

You are asking for stuff that is already in the game, just go and take it :)
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for adding tri-pots for AP.

Didn't yet read any reasonable argument against this addition.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is not how "providing items to the market at prices you think are fair" would work. The prices of columbine would not settle due to any single person selling for less- what would actually happen, is flippers would buy up the low priced items and resell them at the high prices again. No one is going to lower the price of columbine just because one person posted theirs at a low price.

I'm saying this as someone who farms columbine, sells columbine, and also uses a set amount of that stock to sustain my own account or donate supplies to friends- Adding another source for Tri-Pots to the game would be a positive thing, especially when it comes to player retention in Cyrodiil and other forms of PVP. I'm okay with my stock of columbine getting a nerf in price if it means that a game mode I love actually sees an increase in activity because the players there find it easier to obtain much needed supplies through the currency they gain in PVP doing their own form of hard work.

I personally do not see why the efforts of a PVP player to gain AP should be devalued. Certainly, it takes time and effort to get columbine- but it takes just as much time and effort (If not more so) to gain AP, and that AP gain and effort should be rewarded by allowing a PVP player to supply themselves via their own game mode.

This isn't actually true. Many PVE guilds who are primarily PVE players will run a "PVP" night in order to reach rank 1 rewards in Cyrodiil, putting a bit of AP in their pocket even though they do not consider themselves PVPers and do not really want to PVP. PVE players are obtaining AP, and could also benefit from this change. It may even encourage them to try PVP more in the long run- if they don't want to, they can still farm their own columbine to supply themselves. It's win/win.

They can also collect double nodes during events, use tri pots form login rewards, do alchemy writs and surveys... and if they don't want to... those who did those things could sell them :)

You are asking for stuff that is already in the game, just go and take it :)

Most already do these things, and still struggle to retain enough supplies- heck, PVE players who do these things also struggle to retain supplies as well! Some people only have a certain amount of time to devote to a game mode. Most would rather spend their time doing the content they love, rather than picking plants for hours on end. Not everyone enjoys harvesting in the same way I do, and I get that. I have no problem seeing Tri-Pots appear in game for multiple forms of currency- especially since obtaining said currency also requires effort.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PVE players will run a "PVP" night in order to reach rank 1 rewards
    Yes, that's exactly right idea! :)
    Do PVP to get PVP currency. Fish for roe. Pick flowers to have flowers. Do IC to get Tel Var. Farm dragons for rheum. Run Craglorn for nirncrux. Exchange with other players if something is not your cup of tea ;)
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVE players will run a "PVP" night in order to reach rank 1 rewards
    Yes, that's exactly right idea! :)
    Do PVP to get PVP currency. Fish for roe. Pick flowers to have flowers. Do IC to get Tel Var. Farm dragons for rheum. Run Craglorn for nirncrux. Exchange with other players if something is not your cup of tea ;)

But what if PvP currency could also award potions needed for PvP?

Potions are not exclusive to PvP, PvE, crafting, or trading — all of these activities use potions to some degree. Plus, there's already a precedent for allowing certain potions to be bought with AP.

It's not comparable to say that buying a different kind of potion with PvP currency is akin to players earning PvP currency for picking flowers. While it's true that PvP currency should only be earned through PvP activities, it does not hold that potions should only be earned through non-PvP activities, because there is no precedent that potions cannot be bought for AP (some of them can).