Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

Do you sort your dyes by color, or rarity?

Sheezabeast
Sheezabeast
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
When you go to the outfit station, do you sort your dye colors by the option of color, or rarity?
Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!

Do you sort your dyes by color, or rarity? 221 votes

By Color, it's easier to see what I want to use that way.
48%
acastanza_ESOGalenopajwookiefriseurMultimonDanikatHaywire30freespiritApoAlaialion_heart_2000ub17_ESOSheezabeastElsonsoDarkheartSheridanAvalonRangerSilverBrideathekaBlkadrKartalinVulsahdaal 108 votes
By rarity. I earned those darn dyes, I wanna show them off!
22%
mesnaBelegnoleSbonakerAlienSlofflizomicakojouTreseleganthondelinkshadyjane62Lolindacyclonus11CP5Enemy-of-Coldharbourme_mingAstironfizl101IlsabetTai-ChiCerboltTheImperfect 49 votes
I do not use the outfit station.
1%
Strut6569laniakea_0AzuraFan 3 votes
There's options?
27%
lei.aili_ESODarcyMardinWhiteCoatSyndromeKendaricErdbeermuffinMaster_Fluffzariaphaneub17_ESOTheDarkRulerkadok00TandorAuroranGoldenEagleToxic_Hemlockdisintegr8ArchMikemAzrael_1976RagnorkTornaadKlauthWarthogWarbow7 61 votes
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's options?
    Default view.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's options?
    Though I frequently use the outfit station, I wasn't aware that we could sort by color. I only knew about the show/hide unlocked dyes.

Now that I know, I'll certainly sort them by color.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • LunaFlora
      LunaFlora
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      i sort dyes by hue/colour.

miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
      "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
      🦬🦌🐰
      PlayStation and PC EU.
      LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
      LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Always sorting by color. It's almost impossible to find a fitting shade otherwise.

Besides that I couldn't care less about the source of the color.
      Never get between a cat and it's candy!
      ---
      Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    • Sheezabeast
      Sheezabeast
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »
      Though I frequently use the outfit station, I wasn't aware that we could sort by color. I only knew about the show/hide unlocked dyes.

Here's the drop down menu in the outfit station for you to change it.

shamuh8rzdzd.png

I personally do by Hue because it's too annoying to hunt and pick from the rarity setting.
      Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
    • Katheriah
      Katheriah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      It's a dye. I want it selected by what it looks like.
    • SpacemanSpiff1
      SpacemanSpiff1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      rarity. rare dyes tend to be glossy, so i like to filter those out.
      Edited by SpacemanSpiff1 on November 22, 2023 2:23PM
    • Grizzbeorn
      Grizzbeorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Rarity. I didn't realize until quite a while later [after figuring out the Outfit system] that you could sort dyes a different way than the default (rarity), and by the time I did, I was used to having them sorted by rarity.

I tried sorting them by color after I'd made this discovery, but I couldn't emotionally deal with mixing my rares in with the commons. It just felt weird.
      Edited by Grizzbeorn on November 22, 2023 12:20PM
        PC/NA Warden Main
      • WhiteCoatSyndrome
        WhiteCoatSyndrome
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭
        There's options?
        I don’t use the Outfit Station much. :sweat_smile:

And when I do I usually search for the dyes by name, because I want them for something specific (EX: Bloodroot Wine and Coldharbour Ash Black for the Witches Festival).
        #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
        A useful explanation for how RNG works

Whitestrake’s Mayhem PSA: While battling through the Imperial City, don’t forget you can return to base quickly by queuing for a Cyrodiil campaign, then queuing back to IC!
      • Reverb
        Reverb
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        By color but I wish the sorting in the color groupings was by rarity.
        Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      • Danikat
        Danikat
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        By colour, the rarity is irrelevant.
        PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
      • Pixiepumpkin
        Pixiepumpkin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Always hue/color. I care none of how the color was obtained.
        "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
        PC/NA
      • JemadarofCaerSalis
        JemadarofCaerSalis
        ✭✭✭
        There's options?
        Kendaric wrote: »

This is exactly what I was thinking. I would love to sort them by color...
      • TaSheen
        TaSheen
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Color makes more sense to me - I don't really care how "rare" anything is but steaks.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
      • Ilsabet
        Ilsabet
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        By rarity, but that's mostly because I'm used to where certain dyes are in the lineup and I don't really have to hunt for them. Also, like someone mentioned, the rarity can indicate how matte or vibrant a color might be.
        Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
        Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
        My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
        Ilsabet's Headcanon
        The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
        PC NA
      • LunaFlora
        LunaFlora
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Reverb wrote: »
        By color but I wish the sorting in the color groupings was by rarity.

they're sorted by release order i believe.
        and most of the rare dyes are dlc dyes so they kinda are
        miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
        "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
        🦬🦌🐰
        PlayStation and PC EU.
        LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
        LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
      • Vevvev
        Vevvev
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I go by hue because it's not about the rarity, but how good it looks. I have some outfits with bland colors on them because they just add that touch of realism or simplistic feel to a piece that needs it. Like a couple of my Nordic dresses don't need a shiny reflective bright white that makes the thing looking like metal when I can pick a soft white that makes it look like it's made of cotton.
        PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
      • Destai
        Destai
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Color, it's the most natural option considering they're dyes. What's the use case for sorting by rarity?
      • Fenris_Arainai
        Fenris_Arainai
        ✭✭✭✭
        There's options?
        Default, whichever it is.

I might sort by colour now that I know I can :D
        Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
      • whitecrow
        whitecrow
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Color is the only way that makes sense. No one is looking at your character and saying "Hey that's a rare color you have on there, congratulations on your achievement!"
      • Ragnork
        Ragnork
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        There's options?
        Been playing for a long time and did not know I could sort by colour.... thank you.
      • Brakkish
        Brakkish
        ✭✭✭✭
        By Rarity, more so because for years never noticed I could sort them and have become familiar with location, more than hue alone.

Sorting them for me at this point would totally mess me up. I'm in the outfit station near daily :D
        CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
      • IsharaMeradin
        IsharaMeradin
        ✭✭✭✭
        I sort by rarity, which I think is default. Why? The rarest colors give off a metallic sheen which is not always desired. Knowing which ones to avoid as to not have a shiny look is helpful. And sometimes a shiny look is desired and knowing which ones to use is helpful.
        PC-NA / PC-EU
        ID @IsharaMeradin
        Characters NA
        Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
        Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
        Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
        Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
        Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
        Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
        Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
        Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
        Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
        Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
        Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
        Characters NA
        Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
      • Tandor
        Tandor
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        There's options?
        Default, unlocked only.
      • Grizzbeorn
        Grizzbeorn
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        whitecrow wrote: »
        Color is the only way that makes sense. No one is looking at your character and saying "Hey that's a rare color you have on there, congratulations on your achievement!"

I've continued to sort by rarity NOT because of some non-existent need for acknowledgement, but because there is a texture difference between rare dyes and more common dyes that I happen to like, as well as a difference in complexity between rare and common (the color-shifts that occur with Lycanthrope Gray and King Orgnum's Wine in different lighting, as two examples); the rares hit my eye (the only eye that counts where my characters are concerned) differently than common dyes.

That said, I have a handful of favorite dyes that I use very often, and it's pretty close to an even mix between rare (Lycanthrope Gray, Lamae White, Blackreach Blue, King Orgnum's Wine) and common (Nightshade Purple, Amethyst Violet, Noxophilic Black).
          PC/NA Warden Main
        • whitecrow
          whitecrow
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭
          Grizzbeorn wrote: »

I've continued to sort by rarity NOT because of some non-existent need for acknowledgement, but because there is a texture difference between rare dyes and more common dyes that I happen to like, as well as a difference in complexity between rare and common (the color-shifts that occur with Lycanthrope Gray and King Orgnum's Wine in different lighting, as two examples); the rares hit my eye (the only eye that counts where my characters are concerned) differently than common dyes.

That said, I have a handful of favorite dyes that I use very often, and it's pretty close to an even mix between rare (Lycanthrope Gray, Lamae White, Blackreach Blue, King Orgnum's Wine) and common (Nightshade Purple, Amethyst Violet, Noxophilic Black).

I believe texture is a factor of the outfit style, not the rarity.
        • Vevvev
          Vevvev
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭

Think he meant like... reflectivity, reflection color, main color, etc.

I know the outfit's texture can have a profound effect on the eye used, but some dyes have some weird quirks that just overpower whatever texture material the outfit had.
          PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
        • Lugaldu
          Lugaldu
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭
          There's options?
          Even after years it is still possible to learn something new...
        • Brakkish
          Brakkish
          ✭✭✭✭
          Vevvev wrote: »

I know the outfit's texture can have a profound effect on the eye used, but some dyes have some weird quirks that just overpower whatever texture material the outfit had.

Transliminal Violet is a good example of a dye that has some fun effects depending on material. For instance, on most metals - its various intensities of gold. (true gold and reflective, not yellow-ish nor dull). And on many cloths, is a deep, pearly blue - but some just a flat blue.

Edited by Brakkish on November 22, 2023 7:31PM
          CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
        • Soarora
          Soarora
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭
          Brakkish wrote: »
          Vevvev wrote: »

Transliminal Violet is a good example of a dye that has some fun effects depending on material. For instance, on most metals - its various intensities of gold. (true gold and reflective, not yellow-ish nor dull). And on many cloths, is a deep, pearly blue - but some just a flat blue.

Makes me wonder why it’s not in the iridescent section. There’s only like 4 dyes in there yet there’s multicolor dyes mixed into the other color sections.
          PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore