The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why are trial sets being allowed in PVP zones?

Tzirzhalir
Tzirzhalir
✭✭
Trial sets are being used in PVP Cyrodiil which is giving 12 man groups an advantage of the sets buffs. Trial sets should only be available for pve content. Rather make pvp sets that will grant certain buffs that you can only get out of cyrodiil for 12 man groups.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 9, 2023 5:34PM
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tzirzhalir wrote: »
    Trial sets should only be available for pve content.

Why exactly?
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How do they have an advantage? Just put someone in your group in the sets, tada playing field leveled
  • Tzirzhalir
    Tzirzhalir
    ✭✭
    It's obvious why they have an advantage minor aegis aside but the buffs slot of the tank sets give are being used in PVP
    and perfected gear giving an added bonus. For example Saxhleel Champion.
  • Tzirzhalir
    Tzirzhalir
    ✭✭
    Rather restrict the use of trial sets in PVP zones and create pvp only sets that benefit 12 man groups that scale to pvp standards.
  • Vetixio
    Vetixio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trial sets have been used by players in niche or specific groups or they build around the set for years in Cyrodiil. Trials have some good sets but a player is effectively wearing a 4 piece as the Minor Slayer/Aegis has no effect in Cyrodiil.
    Edited by Vetixio on May 10, 2023 5:17PM
    Pìerre - Breton Vampire Templar, Grand Overlord. Erádàn - Bosmer Templar, Warlord. Vyríc - Imperial Vampire Necromancer, Centurion. Sybìl - Breton Sorcerer, Centurion. Erìch - Nord Vampire Nightblade, Corporal. Njàll - Nord Templar, Lieutenant. Elánnà - Bosmer Warden, Veteran. Laquì - Redguard Vampire Nightblade, Corporal. Noveni Dres - Dunmer Sorcerer, Lieutenant. Marìnus - Imperial Warden, Veteran. Arvyn Indoril - Dunmer Templar, Sergeant. Rósalyn - Breton Sorcerer, Corporal. Emelîn - Bosmer Dragonknight, Corporal. Astaroth Indoril - Dunmer Sorcerer.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    like others have said, the aegis/slayer bonuses only apply against monsters, they do nothing against players

and like others said, there are a few trial sets that can be used in niche situations, but most of them are super weak in pvp (i get a chuckle when i see people hit me with relequens in pvp lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I assume when I see a damage trial set in Cyrodiil, its a PVE player there either having fun, farming skyshards, or doing an endeavor. With that said, I would expect to see a lot of Transformative Hope sets with organized groups in the future:

(2 items) Adds 4% Healing Done
    (3 items) Gain Minor Aegis at all times, reducing your damage taken from Dungeon, Trial, and Arena Monsters by 5%.
    (4 items) Adds 129 Magicka Recovery
    (5 items) While in combat, when you heal yourself or an ally that is below 40% Health, you ignite a Spark of Hope within them for 3 seconds. If they are above 90% Health when the effect ends, you and the ally gain Major Heroism for 15 seconds. This effect can occur once every 20 seconds per target.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vetixio wrote: »
    Trial sets have been used by players in niche or specific groups or they build around the set for years in Cyrodiil. Trials have some good sets but a player is effectively wearing a 4 piece as the Minor Slayer/Aegis has no effect in Cyrodiil.

You're looking at it from the perspective of an individual player. For someone solo with 10 stat lines total losing one would be a big deal. A 12 person group has around 120 stat lines total and can easily give up two or three without missing them. I'd be willing to bet good money that almost every single optimized ball group in Cyro has one person running Vestment of Olorime and another one or two running Saxhleel Champion to give their group nearly 100% uptime on Major Courage and Major Force. If they run the perfected versions they're not even giving up a stat line at all.
    However after looking through all the available trail sets there are just those two and the Transformative Hope set that would be used, the majority of the group buff sets used by ball groups come from 4 player dungeons.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on May 10, 2023 7:22PM
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's obvious why they have an advantage minor aegis aside but the buffs slot of the tank sets give are being used in PVP
    and perfected gear giving an added bonus. For example Saxhleel Champion.

Minor/major aegis and slayer do not work in PvP. It's specifically stated in bonus descrition. Therfore additional bonus on perfected versions of trial sets is usually just making them equal to regular sets in terms of stat bonus density. It actually makes them a bit worse if You want to use them only on one bar because You wont have 3 piece bonus active all the time like with all the other sets.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    like others have said, the aegis/slayer bonuses only apply against monsters, they do nothing against players

and like others said, there are a few trial sets that can be used in niche situations, but most of them are super weak in pvp (i get a chuckle when i see people hit me with relequens in pvp lol)

relequen is actually not that bad in PvP when used on a proper setup. Some sorcs are doing really nice job with it.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galeriano wrote: »

relequen is actually not that bad in PvP when used on a proper setup. Some sorcs are doing really nice job with it.

maybe in a 1v1 duel, but in most cyro fights ive never gotten more than 2-3 stacks on me, and each stack does like 50 dmg per tick, effectively nothing

you would get way more mileage out of something that is far easier to apply like the masters dual wield
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe in a 1v1 duel, but in most cyro fights ive never gotten more than 2-3 stacks on me, and each stack does like 50 dmg per tick, effectively nothing

you would get way more mileage out of something that is far easier to apply like the masters dual wield

Master DW is a meele weapon. I've seen few pretty decent ranged sorcs playing with relequen and doing a decent job with it.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Master DW is a meele weapon. I've seen few pretty decent ranged sorcs playing with relequen and doing a decent job with it.

Correct
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Play how you want to play"
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can always get the trial sets yourself.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume when I see a damage trial set in Cyrodiil, its a PVE player there either having fun, farming skyshards, or doing an endeavor. With that said, I would expect to see a lot of Transformative Hope sets with organized groups in the future:

(2 items) Adds 4% Healing Done
    (3 items) Gain Minor Aegis at all times, reducing your damage taken from Dungeon, Trial, and Arena Monsters by 5%.
    (4 items) Adds 129 Magicka Recovery
    (5 items) While in combat, when you heal yourself or an ally that is below 40% Health, you ignite a Spark of Hope within them for 3 seconds. If they are above 90% Health when the effect ends, you and the ally gain Major Heroism for 15 seconds. This effect can occur once every 20 seconds per target.

Nah, drake's rush is better.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Trial sets are being used in PVP Cyrodiil which is giving 12 man groups an advantage of the sets buffs. Trial sets should only be available for pve content. Rather make pvp sets that will grant certain buffs that you can only get out of cyrodiil for 12 man groups.
    Buff stacking mechanisms aren't unique to trial sets. Spell Power Cure, Powerful Assault, Rallying Cry. Not trial sets. Also, synergies like DK Shackle can and have been used in PvP, whereas Powerful Assault is a meta set in PvE. The game is about creativity.
    Edited by fred4 on May 14, 2023 8:14PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    You can always get the trial sets yourself.
    So, which trials are solo-able then ? Just asking. As far as I can tell only the Clockwork City Trail can be done solo, but that is still a pain.