The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is the game improving

Daggerfell0929
Daggerfell0929
✭✭✭
Is there hope left, light at the end of the tunnel? Is the game finding new ways to innovate and be interesting?

I looked around and it looks like PVP is still not getting much love.
What is the game like for progression PVE right now?
Edited by ZOS_Phoenix on April 29, 2023 9:36PM
  • ZOS_Phoenix
    Greetings,

After review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the game is in a great place as far as the variety of things to do.

If you're a player who prefers a specific type of activity within the game, then you might feel as though you aren't being offered enough new content of that specific type, or that any problems with the existing content of that type aren't getting dealt with fast enough for you.

But if you're a player who likes to partake of all or most of the different types of activities available, there is so much to do in the game, and every year there is more stuff added.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the current nerfs and community divide I think they just took a massive step back. If they make some changes and consider this may be a mistake it can change however at this point now I don’t see improvements being made.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It depends on what you’re focus is on.

Overall, yes. The last few years have seen the introduction of both new systems and QOL upgrades. There’s a mountain of content to play through, achievements to earn. We’re getting a new class, new zones.

I don’t think combat is improving though. I think there’s been some quality issues with the last few patches that impacted core combat gameplay. That’s not to say it’s not fun, because it is, but there’s still some issues that need addressing.

I also don’t think that monetization is improving. And while there’s a handful of new earnables, it still feels like the focus is on the crown store.
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No and I think the game is going towards decline personally. New roadmap is significantly less content. Less dungeons. Expansion system being moved to its own quarter. And a quarter all for qol/bug fixing with no content. Going to be a long 6 months.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Necrom from an overland perspective seems great so far, except for Sharp’s questline. Practically everything else is getting worse.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Carlos93
    Carlos93
    ✭✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »
    No and I think the game is going towards decline personally. New roadmap is significantly less content. Less dungeons. Expansion system being moved to its own quarter. And a quarter all for qol/bug fixing with no content. Going to be a long 6 months.

If they use that time to fix bugs that the game has had since it launched in 2014, I would appreciate it positively.

For example:

The important failures that the map has.

Which according to the LORE begins to be mapped from the Meretic Age by the elves of Summerset.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes and no
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is fine.
    PCNA
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say just look at PVP but there is none
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, just give it another decade or so, and they might even figure out how they want light attacks to work yet.
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    no it is not. the new class that is coming out is one of the biggest tell-tales of the bad state the game is in. They spent 3 years ruining the game just to release one of the weakest if not THE weakest class in the game. The devs are so far out of touch they might as well be on the moon. Player feedback is almost always ignored and the game stumbles from one bad update to another.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat design is still too much bad or dated system compared with contemporary action game.
    (So, I can't feel any of good feeling against both PVP and end-game PVE contents of ESO.)

But, it's OK. Story contents keep improving, especially in DLC zone. At least, I feel good
    as one of the Elder Scrolls fan.
    Edited by AvalonRanger on April 30, 2023 1:38AM
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat design is still too much bad or dated system compared with contemporary action game.
    (So, I can't feel any of good feeling against both PVP and end-game PVE contents of ESO.)

But, it's OK. Story contents keep improving, especially in DLC zone. At least, I feel good
    as one of the Elder Scrolls fan.

The lore / story / questing is what keeps me playing as an elder scrolls fan. The combat is the worst part of this game.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    washbern wrote: »
    no it is not. the new class that is coming out is one of the biggest tell-tales of the bad state the game is in. They spent 3 years ruining the game just to release one of the weakest if not THE weakest class in the game. The devs are so far out of touch they might as well be on the moon. Player feedback is almost always ignored and the game stumbles from one bad update to another.

Honestly, I’m glad that most of the new sets and new class aren’t super powerful. I’d much rather new things that don’t cause power creep and can be buffed later than new things overpowered to sell the content and nerfed later. It’s a surprising change of direction but I hope it’s on purpose.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as PvP, I've been enjoying the massive build flexibility that hybridization offered. I tried out 3-4 new builds just last week!

For reference, I play casual duels and battlegrounds, not Cyrodiil. At the highest level of competition, I think there are a smaller number of dominant sets and builds, as usual.

I'm optimistic about new PvP content when it's ready (are we waiting for the server upgrades to be done or something?), but for now I feel like I have lots of new builds to try on most classes. And that's not even factoring in the Necrom changes.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • sup
    sup
    ✭✭✭
    PVP is dead. Similar builds, less people, same thing for years.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    washbern wrote: »
    . Player feedback is almost always ignored and the game stumbles from one bad update to another.

Well I don't know about that. Players pointed out that the "year of" structure was leading to an abysmal standard of content and so they changed tack.
  • Greystag
    Greystag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Technically? I would say it is.
    To me, it feels like ESO is in a transition period. They are moving away from the story structure they had been using for years now. Work on Hybridisation is still ongoing. PvP will start getting updates once the hardware and performance issues are dealt with.
    That sounds good, but it also feels like ESO is struggling to get there. The past questlines have been underwhelming for many. Hybridisation feels half-baked and currently there's a major issue with class identity. PvP has been forgotten for years now.
    The biggest issue this transition period has is that ZoS doesn't seem to value player loyalty, and this has caused a ton of players to quit. Many just don't have the faith in ESO to wait until things get better and have moved on.

Also, recent changes seem to have caused (or worsened) a rift in the playerbase.
    Edited by Greystag on April 30, 2023 8:49AM
    | PC / EU |
    | Aspen Greystag, Khajiit Warden, Frosty boi |
    | Healer, Tank, Damage dealer |
    | CP: 1800 |
    | Guilds: Officer at Meridia's Light |
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some aspects of game are improving, some are not and some are getting worse. Communication about game issues is as terrible as ever and in particular when it's about some "improvement" which in practice makes game less fun. Combat change for change and nerf old OP - sell new OP cycle does not feel like going anywhere. Other games in genre being as bad or worse is not an excuse. But there appear glimpse of hope for performance getting better some year and hopefully getting rid of yearly chapter + dlc zone mould gives opportunity to improve story quality and creativity.
  • finehair
    finehair
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion PvP lag is improved lately. I don't know much about the status of high end PvE stuff, however I like the quest aspect of this game since lately I'm busy with the story finishing.
    Only thing I hate is that they charge so much for so little content lately. Also they prefer introducing new and cool stuff in crownstore rather than in-game achieveable. It's a money trap.
    Also, they really need to make a re do on OG classes, as in animations and video quality. You still get pixelated noxious breath while necro is shooting ultra hd skulls at you. Same goes for old armor styles as well. Check the for example dark elf style, and check the militant ordinator or ebonshadow or crimson oath style. You literally can see the pixels on old styles. They are very cool, but needs to be updated.
  • Greystag
    Greystag
    ✭✭✭✭
    finehair wrote: »
    In my opinion PvP lag is improved lately. I don't know much about the status of high end PvE stuff, however I like the quest aspect of this game since lately I'm busy with the story finishing.

PvP lag was indeed greatly improved thanks to the hardware updates, and once they finish (and hopefully succeed) with their planned fixes, we may start seeing new content for it, such as modes or maps.

PvE endgame was blooming a year ago thanks to the efforts of its community. Sadly, ZoS dropped Update 35 out of the blue last summer and stopped it dead in its tracks. There was a massive amount of endgame players that quit shortly after the update went live. The changes ruined the game for some, while others were tired of having to put up with the meta shifts. Many were fed up with how out of touch ZoS seemed to be. Ignoring feedback, putting out this update in the first place, claiming that damage nerfs across the board would somehow help new players deal more damage...
    Some devs came off as pretty patronising because of it and blamed players for their "knee-jerk reactions".
    It all lead to a lot of players to realise this game was no longer for them and simply quit.

On a positive note however, the emergence of easy to use competitive builds such as the Heavy attack Oakensoul playstyle seems to be helping a lot of players get into raiding. ZoS seems to want to focus on these, so I assume it'll continue to improve.
    | PC / EU |
    | Aspen Greystag, Khajiit Warden, Frosty boi |
    | Healer, Tank, Damage dealer |
    | CP: 1800 |
    | Guilds: Officer at Meridia's Light |
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    U35 convinced me that ZOS is in the process of divesting both financial and manpower resources away from ESO.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The game might be improving in some good ways but, personally, I find it less interesting in other ways.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • JadeStone1
    JadeStone1
    ✭✭
    the pvp is in a terrible place... my biggest issue is the hybrid builds........ please make it a role based game again....
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking for innovative stuff and refresh of some old stuff it's probably not doing well, especially in PvP. Balance wise it was almost untouched for quite awhile.

Pve wise it's getting bit more obviously but I can't say it's in any better state that was a year ago for an example, but imo worse than like 3-4 y.a. yet again it solely depends on personal preferences and some are liking past 12 months still. Group progression wise year ago was in a lot better state, so if I'd be deciding if it's time to again dedicate my time to it I'd probably wait some more before committing yet again.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • jerj6925
    jerj6925
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, game gets worse as time goes on. it was amazing when the game was build your char. how ever you want and it was viable for all content. now its play the developers way or be worthless.