Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[QoL Suggestion] Replace Critical Chance with a percentage

Billium813
Billium813
✭✭✭✭✭
I think the current usage of Critical Chance as a flat number is highly confusing to most players and a simple percentage would be more easy to grep

oisw1xdkudcg.pngd37e7dj7qwod.png

efstosxt8o8t.pngc8dg8evgf32n.png

NOTE:
The numbers I'm using are rounded:
657 ÷ 21912 = 0.02998357064622124863088718510405
943 ÷ 21912 = 0.04303577948156261409273457466229
2180 ÷ 21912 = 0.09948886454910551296093464768164

but I think players would be fine with a percentage, rounded to 2 decimal places rather than a flat number that means nothing to players unless you know the convoluted math behind it. AND EVEN THOSE PEOPLE still have to do the math to understand.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is true but, this sort of indication is there because of low level scaling thing.
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treeshka wrote: »
    That is true but, this sort of indication is there because of low level scaling thing.

Still, those rating don’t make a lot of sense for people that don’t know how to convert them. I’m sure that they could find a way to change the text value depending on the player’s level.
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that our old gear needs to becomes obsolete when we level up, because the gear grind during leveling is a beloved staple of the mmo genre.

New players understand that 200 crit points on the new piece are better than 150 on the old one, even without knowing how those numbers actually work, while a piece of armor going from 3% crit down to 1% within a few levels will need some explanation.
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    Toanis wrote: »
    The problem is that our old gear needs to becomes obsolete when we level up, because the gear grind during leveling is a beloved staple of the mmo genre.

New players understand that 200 crit points on the new piece are better than 150 on the old one, even without knowing how those numbers actually work, while a piece of armor going from 3% crit down to 1% within a few levels will need some explanation.

All stats on all gear does that anyway.

Personally I think they probably keep it that way cause percentages get confusing. Like are we adding percentage points? Are will multiplying actual percentages? Most long-time players know the answer to this but newer ones will likely be just as confused as they are now with the numbers.
  • INM
    INM
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never understood why they replaced percentage values with abstract critical rating in first place.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the things they can do is put total critical rating as a rating next to the percentage in the Character Stat sheet with a tooltip explaining how it works, like they do for resistances/armor. That makes the math more accessible, as dividing by one single number (which at least reaches that 21912 limit at max level) is no more difficult than dividing by 33000 to get resists. But the two stats get different treatment, where crit is less accessible than resists in terms of information provided. Having the game do the conversion and provide a tooltip explaining that conversion is exactly what they do for armor - why not here?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Janni wrote: »

Personally I think they probably keep it that way cause percentages get confusing. Like are we adding percentage points? Are will multiplying actual percentages? Most long-time players know the answer to this but newer ones will likely be just as confused as they are now with the numbers.

This is a very good point too, because they are not consistent or clear across many stats right now.

Blocking mitigation is additive with itself (generally) and then multiplied by 50%. How is anyone to know that by reading “increases block mitigation by x%”?

It gets worse with things like mount speed. Mount speed at the stable is additive with sprint and base speed, but Major Gallop and Gifted Rider add together and multiply against the sum of all that. None of that is explained.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gear already becomes obsolete as you level up. Changing the displayed values to percentages would not change that fact.

How to calculate 100% Critical Chance:
    Equation:
    2 * <level> * (100 + <level>)

Level 40 character:
    2 * 40 * (100 + 40) = 11200

CP 160 character (max):
    2 * 66 * (100 + 66) = 21912

Let's look at a level 40 item, as seen by a level 40 character!
    yjipekrxmfo4.pngwaojhgj9ksde.png
    679 ÷ 11200 = 0.060625
    975 ÷ 11200 = 0.08705357142857142857142857142857

Now, let's look at a level 40 item, as seen by a CP160 character!
    pj0fs1b6o4hk.pngkc3p2i53vd7t.png
    420 ÷ 21912 = 0.01916757940854326396495071193866
    603 ÷ 21912 = 0.02751916757940854326396495071194
    Edited by Billium813 on February 4, 2023 9:10PM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Treeshka wrote: »

this is a good point, but they could make the tooltip reflect the amount to the intended wearer.

This is important for low level players (like level 20) looking at high level items (160cp)- they might think that an item provides more crit than is possible if this change is put in carelessly.

...but an add-on to change the chance amounts into percentages would be groovy. the chance numbers are far too technical.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    Janni wrote: »

This is a very good point too, because they are not consistent or clear across many stats right now.

AMEN! If there is one thing that ESO is not good at, it's consistency in their nomenclature and UI stats. I would personally put any effort by ZOS to clean up their UI under Accessibility / Quality of Life. I think it ends up making the game LOOK more complex, hard to understand, and daunting for new players. Things like Armor Cap, Crit Cap, and mitigation are all not conveyed to players. I'd like them to clean all this up and more more information obvious to players.
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billium813 wrote: »

Gear already becomes obsolete as you level up. Changing the displayed values to percentages would not change that fact.
    That 150 crit piece in my example adds 150 crit when you buy it at level 1, it will be 150 when you can equip it, and it will be 150 at level 50/CP160. When you show the calculated crit chance instead, it seems to add 75% crit when you buy it at level 1, but when you can finally equip it, it will be only 3%, and soon after it will be <1%.

Sure, it could simply display 3% in text and then add a disclaimer that this value only applies when worn at the intended level, and will be reduced as you outlevel the item, but is that really better? It's just highlighting ESOs rather unique leveling process, where you get weaker as you level up and need better gear to compensate.

Edited by Toanis on February 5, 2023 9:49AM