The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Between the two options, which sounded more exciting as the primary chapter feature to YOU?

Cooperharley
Cooperharley
✭✭✭✭✭

Between the two options, which sounded more exciting as the primary chapter feature to YOU? 139 votes

Arcanist (new class)
53%
Ksariyudaryl.rasmusenb14_ESODarcyMardinDanikatOnnuKphaneub17_ESOSorakakongkimfeyiiSilverBrideathekaTandorBlkadrkargen27RomoRagnarok0130VaranaSarannahValarMorghulis1896Ohtimbar 75 votes
Spellcrafting
30%
CireousSolarikenStxHolycannoliopajwenchmore420b14_ESOFaulgorMalthorneSirCriticalSaint-AngeEnemy-of-ColdharbourI_killed_VivecDestaiVevvevlillybitcmetzger93Clyde_BlueSnakeBo0137binhomerpins 43 votes
Other (comment below)
15%
fleetingyouth_ESOZigoSidVriendaLivvySheridantinythinkershadyjane62BrrrofskiDojohodaArchMikemStinkyremySeaGtGruffjtm1018NotaDaedraWorshipperamapola76blktaunaFeljaxSir_Hammockfizzylujoergino 21 votes
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    I have never had any interest in spellcrafting.

And thank you for having the "Other" option in this poll at least.
    Edited by TaSheen on January 31, 2023 1:40AM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    Arcanist looks pretty cool and the combo system looks interesting. Spell crafting also seems cool, but seems hard to balance and less likely to add anything as novel as the combo system seems from the description.
  • metheglyn
    metheglyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    I've never wanted spellcrafting, so just about anything else would have sounded better.

Though I doubt I'll play it, the arcanist class itself looks like an interesting concept.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    Spellcrafting sounds like a complete nightmare to me. I'm excited about the new Arcanist class.
    PCNA
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    I am so excited for this new class. It looks really fun.

Before, I would have preferred something that everyone could use (we haven't ever gotten a new weapon, and spears have been absent from the Elder Scrolls series for a while and are really due for a comeback), but then they showed off this new class and I'm completely sold.

Not going to change my main, but alts are all for fun. And this looks like a lot of fun.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    It's too late. Arcanist isn't a bad class. The gameplay is different from the rest without skill cap being too high.
  • Shihp00
    Shihp00
    ✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    Not even a question :D
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    Neither sound exciting. There was a lot of other things I was hoping for instead, like new skillines, weapon etc, and no I don't count the Arcanist towards that because I can't use it for any of my already existing characters.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on January 31, 2023 4:08AM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    More character slots is always a welcome. Even if the class really sucks, I can use those 2 slots for anything.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    I was hoping for something that all my characters could possibly use such as a new skill line or a new weapon. We have never had a new weapon as far as I know.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    I really couldn't care less about spellcrafting and its been a while since I leveled a new character, so arcanist seems like the obvious choice.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    I would like to be out of combat.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    I would like my skills to work in Cyrodil.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    Actually interested in both, but spellcrafting would be hard to balance.

Edited by Syldras on January 31, 2023 4:22AM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    Spellcrafting would be a disaster unless its cosmetic and non-combat related, imo. A new class has fun effects outside of something new to try several times (tank, healer, stam dps, mag dps, pve, pvp...). It inspires people to main it as a class and I'm excited to see its role develop and the meta setups be built for it in real time.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spellcrafting
    Can't be excited about something that would just sit there collecting dust.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spellcrafting
    >:) Team Spellcrafting >:)

I have to admit, though... Arcanist looks pretty cool, but that's so much stuff we have to level up again :worried:
  • Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Spellcrafting
    Honestly both sound exciting to me, but for as someone familiar with spellcrafting from the main games (Oblivion & Morrowind specifically, was a Ranger class when played Arena & Daggerfall so I was restricted from using the spellbook) I have to say spellcrafting more. Though it could be a nightmare, while it would be something interesting for all classes.
    Edited by Clyde_BlueSnake on January 31, 2023 5:30AM
    Main is Blue-Thuxis, a Argonian stamSorc, whose also is a werewolf! 2nd main, Cobalt-Thuxis, a Argonian stamArc, an identical twin sister to Blue-Thuxis, even is a werewolf as well! some alts:
    Nirn-Scale Rajthux (Argonian, Templar), Ros-Ei Nature-Thuxis (Argonian, Warden), Crimson-Thuxis (Argonian, DK), Bone-Thuxis Tharn (Argonian, Necro) Why Bone-Thuxis has Tharn as a last name:
    The siblings were separated at a young age due to a Dres slaver raid, Blue, Cobalt, Ros-Ei & their mother were able to escape, Crimson & Bone weren't that lucky. Crimson was later "rescued" by some Orcs that later ambushed the House Dres Dunmers, unfortunately one Dunmer remained & sadly successfully brought the young Bone-Thuxis to the Dres plantation. Later an Imperial, a Tharn, bought Bone at a auction & later told he was free, the young Argonian sadly had no idea where to go & doesn't know if his family was still alive, so the Tharn adopted him into House Tharn. This family of Argonians finally reunited years later.
    , Kenneth Clyde (Nord, Sorc), Selene Gray-Thuxis (Argonian, Nightblade), Urmanda (Orc, Warden)
    Some ESO history: I originally started from PS4 NA during June 10, 2015, I did reached CP 810+ on there. I eventually kinda got tired of paying PS+, so during February 4, 2019 I started moving to PC NA. Also CP: 810+. Nowadays I play ESO PC mostly, while PS4 is dust.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Spellcrafting
    The only reason I had my heart set on spellcrafting was to have a hope of enjoying my butchered Templar again, with new moves...
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    C. Others. Monk class.
    D. Marrying Naryu.
    E. Naryu as companion.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    Im more excited for the new dungeon system
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What's with all those polls lately?
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Spellcrafting
    To me, if spell crafting was as they described it back when it was almost done, 2014, 2015ish, then it would be that. An open-ended system, with the prospect of having more skills than a single skill line and possibly more skills than a class... One where you can choose the effects of the skills you make, and since it's open ended, it could have more spell options added to it. One that opens the prospect of an offshoot system; spellcrafting, then there's martial training where you come up with skills that are more based in weapon combat than magic. It wasn't something ever really suggested, but it would make sense for both to exist at some point.

It's the possibility of having a lot of new options that is enticing for me. More summons, skills, buffs, attacks, spammable skills...

Of course a new class isn't bad. If its playstyle is something I like, I'll be super on board! I wasn't on board with Warden when it came out, didn't get into it until mid 2019 or 2020, and now with the Jabs animation change, Warden is my main. I never liked Necro though. Tried it, tried it again, I even have one fully leveled. Just don't like the skills or how it feels to play. I'm hopeful it won't be like that for Arcanist.
    Edited by merpins on January 31, 2023 9:41AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    Of the two I prefer the arcanist. Spellcrafting sounds interesting in theory but I agree with the people who said ZOS would want it to be balanced and at least give the appearance that it's optional and not the only way to get viable skills once it's introduced which would leave it so limited it would basically be a variation on enchanting.

I would like to get new weapon skills, because that's one area where all my characters end up seeming the same, but I don't think ZOS have even mentioned that possibility.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    The game has needed a new class for a long time. I don't ever see spell crafting ever happening. It seems like a balancing nightmare.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    Neither, would have much preferred a new weapon line.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Spellcrafting
    I couldn’t care less about a new class. I want new skills to make builds on my current characters.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    I prefer this poll over the other one . Truth is, arcanist is leagues more appealing since a "spellcrafting" system would be beneficial to certain classes, while stripping away class identity from others. The final version of such a system would be so underwhelming that it wouldn't be used. What I find odd is that Arcanist is tied with a daedric prince and is now a discoverable class with an expansion- unlike Wardens and Necromancers which you can argue were already in the game with their respective chapter releases, you'll now have new masters of a new form of magic that can rival other forms... you would think that a sorceror could be an arcanist, for example- which begs the question "why haven't they released a class change option"
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    Story Mode for dungeons and trials
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arcanist (new class)
    Of the two, a new class is clearly the better option.

Spellcrafting sounds great.
    It is.
    In single-player games where you can totally forget about balance and stuff.

In an MMO, esp. in one where they struggle with balancing anyway, there can be no actually open system like spellcrafting.
    What they can do, is cosmetics. Take the Liquid Lightning spell and transmogrify it into a frost spell, or poison. But even that would be hard to keep in heck, due to all the synergies and secondary effects.
    Or pure roleplaying. You can craft your own spells, but they will always and definitely be worse in all aspects than the original.
    Everything else is wishful dreaming.