The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Would you like to see the max gear level simply at level 50 rather than level 50 CP 160?

Cooperharley
Cooperharley
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there a point to it being CP 160? All the materials between CP 10 - CP 140 are generally considered useless at this point and it's confusing to explain to new players why that's the cap when the cleaner explanation would just be level 50.

If you don't agree, say why and propose a different idea!

Would you like to see the max gear level simply at level 50 rather than level 50 CP 160? 59 votes

Yes
30%
Solarikenchessalavakia_ESOBelegnoledaryl.rasmusenb14_ESODarkstorneVriendapingpatb16_ESOshadyjane62DestaicaptainwolfosBo0137binhoemilyhyoyeonAraneae6537Suna_Ye_SunnabeTaggundCooperharleymetheglyn 18 votes
No
69%
fleetingyouth_ESOdcam86b14_ESOElsonsoMAOofDCkongkimTandorBlkadrkargen27RomoReverbSarannahGrimnaurOberon45MikeSkyrim333DojohodaRaddlemanNumber7White wabbitTheSpunkyLobsterDark_Lord_KuroGrim_Slaughterfish 41 votes
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    not worth it at this point. the system is confusing, but it would be even more confusing to retcon it
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    not worth it at this point. the system is confusing, but it would be even more confusing to retcon it

While I do agree on one hand - that we are definitely used to the CP 160 gear cap and that it's confusing - I don't necessarily agree it would be "confusing" to retcon it. Seems simpler and cleaner to me to have it all at level 50. Wouldn't change anything for veteran players other than a label on your gear, but would allow access to end-game gear upon reaching level 50, which most newer players assume is the "level cap" of sorts.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other: I don't have an opinion.

[How about anyone who posts a poll should be required to add the "other" option. *SIGH*]

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • metheglyn
    metheglyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It might have made sense back in the day when it was first implemented, but now that CP points go well into the thousands, are those first 160 points really that significant?

However, there might be technical hurdles in changing it that would cause more problems than the change is worth. I couldn't say--I don't do any type of programming.
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    One of the best things ESO has going for it is that it doesn't change armor level cap; its been the same since before the One Tamriel update (2016/2017 timeframe I think). It's been that way for so long that there's no point in changing it.

You could literally drop the game for a year or two, and not worry about having to regrind the same set of armor/weapons once you come back. It's incredibly friendly for returning players.

And if they were to bring it down to 50, figuring out what to do with all the different CP level gears and crafting materials would be a nightmare, because you can't simply get rid of them, and you would need a way to scale down gear that's between CP10 and CP150, assuming CP160 is the new level 50 gear number.

If there is a issue in players understanding the CP gear levels, there should be an in game mini guide to explain it.
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    You must be a new player. Just level up and get the materials
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaustink wrote: »
    Dr_Con wrote: »

While I do agree on one hand - that we are definitely used to the CP 160 gear cap and that it's confusing - I don't necessarily agree it would be "confusing" to retcon it. Seems simpler and cleaner to me to have it all at level 50. Wouldn't change anything for veteran players other than a label on your gear, but would allow access to end-game gear upon reaching level 50, which most newer players assume is the "level cap" of sorts.

A level 50 player with 0 CP has different resists than a level 50 player with 160 CP- 25k resists is the cap for a level 50 0 cp, but for a level 50 160cp it's 33k. A more sensible system would be to, for instance, ask for a level 66 ceiling on gear (level 66 being the 33k resist cap) and to scrap gear mattering with CP levels. Instead, we're capped at 50 and the "advancement" thereafter is in the form of CP. it's a bit confusing, but it can be helpful to think of it in those kinds of terms.

I might have some convoluted info in here, if anyone wishes to correct me feel free
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Other: I don't have an opinion.

[How about anyone who posts a poll should be required to add the "other" option. *SIGH*]

If you don't have an opinion, don't comment or vote? Lol
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Yes, if devs take a time macine back and make it so from start. No I do not think it's worth doing now. And how long it takes to get once from cp0 to cp160 currently anyway?
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think it'd definitely be better for the UI and make things a lot cleaner. That said they'd have to reallocate all the materials and their asociated dyes somewhere else and it'd be a bit messy and probably not worth the effort.

But it would be nice.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be simpler, but as other people have said it would be a lot to change now for a relatively minimal benefit. If anyone does find it confusing it's only going to be a short-lived problem. The biggest issue I had was getting hold of enough of the intermediate materials for crafting because my first character didn't stay at the right 'level' for long and the others skipped it entirely so it was down to just what my crafter could gather and what I could find to buy.

It might also be useful for new players because that cross-over period where you're done levelling but not done getting new gear helps to emphasise that the transition from levels to CP is basically a different form of the same thing, not an entirely seperate system. If there was more of a clean break between the two I could see some players thinking they're done at level 50 and ignoring CP.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaustink wrote: »
    Is there a point to it being CP 160? All the materials between CP 10 - CP 140 are generally considered useless at this point and it's confusing to explain to new players why that's the cap when the cleaner explanation would just be level 50.

If you don't agree, say why and propose a different idea!

Yes it's odd that once one of your characters reaches CP 160 you'll never see or need the materials between CP 10 - CP 140.

I think it's best though to keep it at at least 160. I like how level 50 is not the end for gear upgrading. It doesn't matter for alts after your main hits CP 160 but for the first ever playthrough it gives a really nice sense of progression.
  • MAOofDC
    MAOofDC
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    The 160 CP limit is a hold over from the earliest day of the game and Veteran levels, back when Vet 16 was max level.

Level 50 was Vet 1, to get to Vet 2 it took the same amount of exp as it took to get to 50. It continued to get exponentially harder to level up. This system was not alt friendly at all, it would take weeks of normal play to max level a character. Even if you were a mad man and make the rush to max like the first guy to vet 10 did. It still took him days of just grinding, pretty sure there is a video of it somewhere.

This was back when Craglorn was still new and the only End Game PvE content their was. This was before the game launched on console. The original Vet cap at launch was 10 getting bumped up by 2 for the first 3 quarters stopping at Vet 16. It was about that time the game launches on Console and they switch to the CP system which is WAY more alt friendly that the Vet system was.

Anyway when the switch was made since everyone who was playing at the time got 10 CP for their highest leveled character. And since Vet 16 was cap at the time CP 160 became gear cap. The real shock was how much gear cost to craft at that level. It was for the best really for the first year every three months there were new top end materials to collect and sell. It played hell with the markets for a week of so as things settled down.
    Guild Master of the Guild <The Wrath of Sheogorath>. CHEESE AND CABBAGE FOR EVERYONE!!!

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    But now I am past the stage of developing my first-ever character, that is exactly what happens. No change required.

A first-time player needs that extra build-up period to be able to choose gear.