Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Hiding Followers: safe by now?

DreamyLu
DreamyLu
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello All

What is status with feature "Hiding Followers"? Is it now safe to turn it on or is it still one of the factor crashing the game (it was for me so I have it off for now)?

Thanks for info
Edited by ZOS_Bill on November 28, 2022 7:49PM
I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for double posting, but I got my answer since I posted the question: I have simply tested it. I have turned on the feature to hide followers and since then, my game didn't crash. So either I'm lucky or it's fixed. :)

Side info: I keep NodeDetection disabled for now.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont think any of these things will be fixed until at least the nov 14th patch (which is next monday)

the hiding followers one the crash in the stickied post says that it can be occasional, so may or may not actually cause a crash but is a potential cause

if you tried to re-enable the NodeDetection, i guarantee you would probably crash lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had that setting on since U36 launched and haven't had any crashes. I'm probably lucky with that.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the feature working? I heard on launch that apparently pets still show up when it's enabled, so coupled with the crashes, I didn't bother with it.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's working, but if I'm not mistaken, the problem is that the followers "disappear" only if they're very close to the table (crafting, bank, ...). So the problem seems not to be solved.

Right before, with the feature on, I was in Vulkhel, inside the building where jewelry/enchanting is. The small room was overcrowded with flapping wings, bears and pets all type. Since they weren't approaching the tables, they didn't disappear and it was the same visual struggle as always... :'(
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DreamyLu wrote: »
    It's working, but if I'm not mistaken, the problem is that the followers "disappear" only if they're very close to the table (crafting, bank, ...). So the problem seems not to be solved.

Right before, with the feature on, I was in Vulkhel, inside the building where jewelry/enchanting is. The small room was overcrowded with flapping wings, bears and pets all type. Since they weren't approaching the tables, they didn't disappear and it was the same visual struggle as always... :'(

I see, thanks for the info. That's my problem as well, for eg., the other day I was in the enchanting building in Deshaan which is tiny and there were two birds taking up the entire visual space, it's very obtrusive, so I was hoping the feature meant that pets would disappear entirely in towns for those who had it enabled.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DreamyLu wrote: »

i dont know if that was mentioned as a bug, and i saw people commenting about being unhappy that it only worked in a small area around crafting stations
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wish it applied everywhere. Sometimes, when I'm having a quest-related conversation with an NPC, I get wings flapping back and forth in my foreground, or some other player's companion or pet, attired in some ridiculously garish neon-coloured outfit, moves between me and the NPC. I could do without that.
    Edited by vsrs_au on November 10, 2022 10:29PM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been running with the feature on since U36 with no crashes. The radius is indeed too small though.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had it on either it wasn't working or the radius was incredibly small. At one point the little platform in front of the cooking fire in Alinor was crowded with pets and followers so if it was working I can only assume they have to be literally on top of the crafting station for it to work.

I suppose maybe if you play in first person mode and your only problem with pets is being able to see the crafting stations themselves that could be useful, but for me it makes no difference so I'm keeping it off until the update on the 14th, then I'll try it again and decide if it's worth using.

(Although I might keep it on even if it is useless, just in case ZOS decides the lack of people using it indicates that no one wants that function and there's no need to improve it to the point that it's worth having.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We are currently tracking a number of game crashes on the PC megaservers since updating to patch v8.2.5. Please see our pinned thread which is linked below that contains updates and troubleshooting. The crashes related to hiding followers will be fixed in a future incremental patch. As there are multiple threads on this topic, we are going to close this thread.

Current PC Game Crashes w/ Update 36
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.