The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Unpopular Opinion: Jogging & Jumping should also cost Stamina

• Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    No, just go play Morrowind or Oblivion if you want that in a Elder Scrolls game.
    Edited by Clyde_BlueSnake on October 30, 2022 11:00PM
    Main is Blue-Thuxis, a Argonian stamSorc, whose also is a werewolf! 2nd main, Cobalt-Thuxis, a Argonian stamArc, an identical twin sister to Blue-Thuxis, even is a werewolf as well! some alts:
    Nirn-Scale Rajthux (Argonian, Templar), Ros-Ei Nature-Thuxis (Argonian, Warden), Crimson-Thuxis (Argonian, DK), Bone-Thuxis Tharn (Argonian, Necro) Why Bone-Thuxis has Tharn as a last name:
    The siblings were separated at a young age due to a Dres slaver raid, Blue, Cobalt, Ros-Ei & their mother were able to escape, Crimson & Bone weren't that lucky. Crimson was later "rescued" by some Orcs that later ambushed the House Dres Dunmers, unfortunately one Dunmer remained & sadly successfully brought the young Bone-Thuxis to the Dres plantation. Later an Imperial, a Tharn, bought Bone at a auction & later told he was free, the young Argonian sadly had no idea where to go & doesn't know if his family was still alive, so the Tharn adopted him into House Tharn. This family of Argonians finally reunited years later.
    , Kenneth Clyde (Nord, Sorc), Selene Gray-Thuxis (Argonian, Nightblade), Urmanda (Orc, Warden)
    Some ESO history: I originally started from PS4 NA during June 10, 2015, I did reached CP 810+ on there. I eventually kinda got tired of paying PS+, so during February 4, 2019 I started moving to PC NA. Also CP: 810+. Nowadays I play ESO PC mostly, while PS4 is dust.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's going to be a hard pass for me.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feel free to use that button that toggles walking. For all your thorough exploration needs.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OP there's nothing stopping you right now from playing that way by only running for short distances; don't force the rest of us into your dystopia.
  • ClevaTreva
    ClevaTreva
    ✭✭✭
    Jumping constantly in PvP should cause a cooldown on all skills. Reprehensible behaviour!

This isn't a place for the Call of Duty kiddies...
  • Gruumsh1
    Gruumsh1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, no thanks. The fact Stam users get their main resource cut every time a PUG sprints through a dng is bad enough. Magicka users got it easy. :smiley:
    Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Miiighty Gruumsh!
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The game already does this when sprinting, if you don't want to sprint, or if you want to go even slower, find the walk key in the controls menu and hold that down when moving, don't force everyone to go slower just because you want to "sightsee" the map.

A mechanic like this being forced onto regular movement and kiting (not just sprinting) would be especially horrible for open world pvp where it takes far too long already to walk between keeps (especially with the combat bug keeping you from ever mounting).
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as jumping isn't improved, I don't want that it does cost me stamina. :D:D:D
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How about making any movement cost stamina and standing still cost magicka to maximise the "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" factor. I'm sure that would attract millions of masochist players who want to be in constant pain and are willing to pay for it.
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not! Quality of life in the game would suffer.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the type that just jumps.... all the time haha I would definitely never play ESO again if they ever implemented such nonsense.
    Edited by fizzylu on October 31, 2022 9:06AM
  • Lucozade85
    Lucozade85
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why? Makes me wonder what content you actually play.

Imagine new players with no mount speed having to go from one side of the map to the other whilst it's draining your stamina.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    How about making any movement cost stamina and standing still cost magicka to maximise the "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" factor. I'm sure that would attract millions of masochist players who want to be in constant pain and are willing to pay for it.

You forgot to add that riding a mount should cost health.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jogging? Hard NO.

Jumping? Yes.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do not really care ;) With tons of nerfs TESO in my opinion is the worst game in combat part, even if compare with games of 2003+ year.

So it is not possible to make it worse already ;) It is already worst combat system from all MMO games I played.

Good world, good quests, normal graphics.

So nothing they do can make combat worse than now. Why not ? )

They nerfed even builds that was in game starting from start (ha builds), even HA of lightning staffs was nerfed !

So why not to nerf jumping too ;)

It will be funny to see is it possible or not to make current combat system worse than now ) Because it is now the worst possible )))

Are not you interested to see the worst Impossible combat system ? )))

May be, if they can make it even worse than now - they completely rework it one day ;) So it can become better or at least playable.
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on October 31, 2022 2:40PM
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I think it'd be appropriate for the non Sprinting top movement speed as well as jumping to slowly drain Stamina. Leveling up would increase an Endurance Stat which decreases the amount drained. The costs of moving at top speed makes us prioritize walking, making us explore the world more slowly and thoroughly.

I am prepared for the no's.

Sure and while we are at it we will add a debuff that decreases you health based on how much time is spent in eso and would be an account wide debuff. Log in too much and all of your characters will die instantly.

• SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Add bath emote and remove jumping ;) hahaha it will be some new combat experience - really different from other games )))

Some mmo games of 2003+ year have not got jumping by the way.

And was good and interesting to play.

One of such games had the best looking dark elves compare to all other mmo rpg games ;)

And none of them had bath animation )))
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on October 31, 2022 3:10PM
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it'd be appropriate for the non Sprinting top movement speed as well as jumping to slowly drain Stamina. Leveling up would increase an Endurance Stat which decreases the amount drained. The costs of moving at top speed makes us prioritize walking, making us explore the world more slowly and thoroughly.

I am prepared for the no's.

This is fine as long as jumps and jogging are buffed baseline along with a green CP tree addition to supplement power and efficiency.

Alternatively, there can be an option for people who like it the way it is to keep it and a CP tree addition could buff jog and jump while tying it to an endurance stat.
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grizzbeorn wrote: »
    [snip]

[snip]

[snip]

People here only care about their playstile and build. They will nerf other builds, will wright tons of text if you are better player than they are.

But - when it comes to run around the tree, jump use bugs of the game, that skills do not press or self cancel and game do not always calculate players position right - they will protect it in all costs ;)

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 31, 2022 6:07PM
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arch, regardless of whether or not you want a slow exploration playstyle, it would be extraordinarily naive of you not to have expected that most players would not welcome your proposal.
    You have not really explained in any way why this would enhance the experience for someone who is inclined to go slow and explore, but it's clear that it would force it on other players.
    Personally, I am ok with that kind of slow exploration occasionally, or in a game where I go through zones briefly and only once or a few times. In a game like eso, where it's pretty common for people to have to go back and forth across the map to accomplish reasonable goals, it's not something I would enjoy being mandated.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People here only care about their playstile and build.

Hey, you may remove build here - not everyone cares about build (I certainly don't, if we speak about its effectiveness, though build visuals are important for me).
    But - when it comes to run around the tree, jump use bugs of the game, that skills do not press or self cancel and game do not always calculate players position right - they will protect it in all costs ;)

Because jogging (and in some cases jumping as well) is just basic quality of eso life. Very basic quality. Character speed is the speed of the digital entity, but time to get from point A to point B is real life time.
    one mer to find them,
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great to have a slower pace the first handful of times through a new zone, but the 10th, 15th time? Not so much. You already are able to go at whatever pace you like, and when an area is new I'll be doing the same. Your suggestion would also effect stamina characters negatively to an extreme degree so that's a hard pass from me.
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »

Hey, you may remove build here - not everyone cares about build (I certainly don't, if we speak about its effectiveness, though build visuals are important for me).

Because jogging (and in some cases jumping as well) is just basic quality of eso life. Very basic quality. Character speed is the speed of the digital entity, but time to get from point A to point B is real life time.

Well, HA of lightning staffs was changed. It was base game mechanic ;)

Jumping or any action different from walk can cost stamina too as example ;)

It gives you more bonuses than just walk, so if it will cost resources it will be understandable too.

Jumping takes a lot of resources in real life. Not less than dodging ;)

But for some reason in TESO it cost no resources ;)
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It gives you more bonuses than just walk, so if it will cost resources it will be understandable too.

Haven't used lightning staves for a long time, so can't comment on it.

In real life I can step over a rock (pack of rocks) or step on a rock (pack of rocks), in eso my character usually stops before the tiniest obstacle. Also in real life I am walking (running, etc.) step by step, yet this is not a reason to enforce one key press per step in any game. ESO is definitely not a game about simulation (I mean, just look at the landscape and imagine walking up and down such hills in real life).
    one mer to find them,
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭

Haven't used lightning staves for a long time, so can't comment on it.

In real life I can step over a rock (pack of rocks) or step on a rock (pack of rocks), in eso my character usually stops before the tiniest obstacle. Also in real life I am walking (running, etc.) step by step, yet this is not a reason to enforce one key press per step in any game. ESO is definitely not a game about simulation (I mean, just look at the landscape and imagine walking up and down such hills in real life).

Yes. But it do not tell why as example jumping must not cost as example 3 k stamina ;)

It makes target harder to hit, let target avoid some land limitations and if target is stuned in the air it fly away, so some builds can not effectively hit it.

And it is annoying. Even for me, who always play ranged builds ;)

It do not effect HA builds, we have no problems with it. But HA builds were nerfed. It looks like jumping now looks to overperforming ;)

I think it really needs a nerf.

More nerfs to the god of nerfs )))

Nothing have to stay unnerfed ;)
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on October 31, 2022 4:01PM
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think we should be bullying the OP for posting a suggestion or idea.

This is just a terrible way to treat a fellow player. What does it say about our community if this is how we respond? This is the type of behavior that has doomed other gaming communities.
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think he post really good idea.

With nerfs in core mechanics of HA of lightning staffs I do not see reason why other game mechanics are not nerfed ;)

HA players did not jump a lot ;)
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on October 31, 2022 4:34PM
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think he post really good idea.

With nerfs in core mechanics of HA of lightning staffs I do not see reason why other game mechanics are not nerfed ;)

HA players did not jump a lot ;)

People can disagree with the idea in a civil way also if they dislike it. Unfortunately that is rarely seen on these forums.

I remember posting suggestions myself and people that disagreed responded with mocking/insults or accusations of trolling instead of just saying they disagree and stating why.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with jumping costing stamina, make it the same as dodge rolling.