The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Please make companions account bound!

eternalshockcable
eternalshockcable
✭✭✭
Just what the title states.
It would be great if companions were account bound.
This way players didn't have to do the quests on 11 characters.

Another reason is that with the companion system we have now , there is no indicator of which characters have companions and which don't until you login to each companion.
Which this is both annoying and time consuming.
Edited by eternalshockcable on September 30, 2022 6:12PM
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    18 characters.

But seriously, a tokenistic introduction quest is all we need e.g. "Hi Isobel, wanna be a knight? then come for an adventure" should be how characters recruit companions.

Build a little Rapport, and maybe she needs you to go back to help her ex-girlfriend, or whatever their introduction quest is.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the companions are already account bound since they are in the collection menu, they just decided to put the ridiculous requirement of also having to do the POI quest for the companion to actually be able to use them on each character
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes!
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    please. i straight up cannot be bothered to do 4 quests on 11 alts to unlock content i already did just so i can use the same "gear" i accessed already.
    just give us the ability to summon them after the quest has been done, lore wise? just make it so you can call them as a friend of a friend or something were already jumbling up lore order anyways so why not.
    i pretty much refused to repeat the quests after a second try, the quests drag on and its not very fun repeating content for the exact same "reward"
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• MJ202
    MJ202
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's really not that hard or that long. The first time I run the companion quests, I'll take my time to follow the lore. After completing each one of the companion quests once, there is no need to read the lore again.

For all my subsequent characters it takes no more than about 15 minutes to zip through the quest. Do one in the morning and the other in the evening. With 18 characters you will be done in a little over three weeks, a month at the most.

All 18 of my characters have each unlocked all four companions. Just dive in, and in the words of Larry the Cable Guy, "Git 'er done!"
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the companions... they're pretty much useless.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaikaNA wrote: »

i like having the companions around, so i can deal respectable dmg when im playing a more tanky character solo

if you dont like them dont use them, your not forced to use them for anything
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It does get really tedious doing the same quest again and again and again. They were interesting once, maybe twice, then it’s just, omg, not again…let this be over!!
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it should be optional per character
    You can choose on each new toon once a companion is unlocked: skip companion quests, or don't skip
    That way if you want to take the time to do them on each toon, you can (some people really like the lore/story aspect)
    Otherwise if you have, say, a bunch of healer toons and don't want to have to deal with it, or just don't have a lot of time to play ESO for content you've already done, you could Skip it, kind of like the Coldharbour tutorial.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • theoriginalpickle
    theoriginalpickle
    ✭✭✭

My companion has helped me out multiple times killing solo world bosses filling dungeon spots when someone's dropped out. And generally made it more fun for me to play by myself with my crappy build and lack of weaving.

Great if you don't need to use a companion but i do and i appreciate having the option to use it, but there are a lot of people like me out there.
    ]I am always the original pickle tickler nothing will stop my merciless reign
  • Rugby_hook
    Rugby_hook
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the idea of getting them just after a quick dialogue and then having an optional quest to do their first story quest. Or, if they were unlocked after one story quest for all characters, just make that optional for all other characters. It is very tedious to do on all 18 characters, and they already break lore. If I change their outfit on one character it is changed on another. They already have gear changes from other characters and are higher level. Just make it optional and nobody will complain.
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJ202 wrote: »
    It's really not that hard or that long. The first time I run the companion quests, I'll take my time to follow the lore. After completing each one of the companion quests once, there is no need to read the lore again.

For all my subsequent characters it takes no more than about 15 minutes to zip through the quest. Do one in the morning and the other in the evening. With 18 characters you will be done in a little over three weeks, a month at the most.

All 18 of my characters have each unlocked all four companions. Just dive in, and in the words of Larry the Cable Guy, "Git 'er done!"

Yeah but.......when they only give us 2 days notice for an event, which they did this event and I had to run 9 more chars through Isobel's just so they can all have chances at companion gear from the event boxes - kinda annoying and shows exactly how flawed the current system is.
  • HedgeHugger
    HedgeHugger
    ✭✭✭

Bastion was a bastion of strength, as a tank, in Vet Coral Aerie. Just had to pick them up (used 2).
    So long as you realise you have to support them, more than they support you, they have their uses.

The thing that bothers me is in non DLC dungeons, areas of effect, rarely affect them, but on the DLC's it is rare they can withstand any areas of nastiness.
  • HedgeHugger
    HedgeHugger
    ✭✭✭
    Account bound, all the way!!!

I am obviously some kind of masochist. I unlocked 30 companions (just Isobel and Ember) over 2 days on my, and hubbies, account.
    Isobel was torture. Ember was quicker.

He did Vateshran on mine while I was unlocking his.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be less of a grind if they just made the companion quests short. Isobel's quest takes a long time for eg., hence I only did it on one character so far.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I unlocked them on one char and I won't do others because the whole process it's unnecessary long, boring and tiring.
    Maybe someone is on the edge of monetizing a shortcut to solve these "issues"
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • MJ202
    MJ202
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paulytnz wrote: »
    MJ202 wrote: »

Yeah but.......when they only give us 2 days notice for an event, which they did this event and I had to run 9 more chars through Isobel's just so they can all have chances at companion gear from the event boxes - kinda annoying and shows exactly how flawed the current system is.

P to the 6th.
  • nightstrike
    nightstrike
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally enjoy repeating quests of all kinds on multiple characters. Sadly, with the new account wide achievements, I won't be logging in to any alts anymore, but I have hope that addons can solve that, at which point I'll happily do the quests over and over :)
    Warning: This signature is tiny!
  • flizomica
    flizomica
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seconding/thirding/fourthing this request. Needing to do the (often very long) quest on multiple characters explicitly prevents me from engaging with Companions as a game feature on the whole. Basically the only time I pull one out is when I'm soloing DLC world bosses on my main, which I dont do all that frequently. Id love to be able to do some casual adventuring with Mirri when I'm grabbing skyshards on an alt, or have a pick of Companion builds (tank/heals/DPS) when someone leaves in a random normal.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paralyse wrote: »
    I think it should be optional per character
    You can choose on each new toon once a companion is unlocked: skip companion quests, or don't skip
    That way if you want to take the time to do them on each toon, you can (some people really like the lore/story aspect)
    Otherwise if you have, say, a bunch of healer toons and don't want to have to deal with it, or just don't have a lot of time to play ESO for content you've already done, you could Skip it, kind of like the Coldharbour tutorial.

Honestly I used to be against this but if they are going to keep adding more and more companions, then they should add a skip tutorial option to them. I understand the rapport and subsequent quests being individual because people might want the companion to have different relationships with each character (like they might purposefully make Bastian hate them on an alt while wanting him max rapport on their main, and rapport mostly just effects lore) but the unlock quest should be skippable.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 1, 2022 10:36PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As someone who hasn't touched companions or tales of tribute (last 2 chapters are just mythics for pvp and skill points for me...pretty hilarious /sad) I am actually blown away by this.
    Are you telling me you have to go and get each companion on each character if you want to have a companion? That's wild.
    I mean I guess that makes sense in the sense of "my character meets and recruits this npc" sorta thing...but still. Wow.
    Then again you need to level antiquities on each character too, and heaven knows I only did that on my main and will never ever ever do that again.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden