The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is the new Killer’s Blade ability better than Executioner?

Nyseto
Nyseto
✭✭✭
KB now scales the same but also heals of enemy dies within 2 seconds. Thoughts?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on September 30, 2022 2:36AM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are pretty much the same skill at this point. [snip] Only real advantage to KB is that you dont need to use a 2H weapon.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 30, 2022 5:38PM
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The primary difference is in the Nightblade passives.

It's unlikely this will be your only Assassination skill on a bar (for the purposes of Hemorrhage) but it will still be an additional 2% crit through Pressure Points.

It being Disease, not Physical damage, is unlikely to be a positive factor in many scenarios too.
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    dmnqwk wrote: »
    The primary difference is in the Nightblade passives.

It's unlikely this will be your only Assassination skill on a bar (for the purposes of Hemorrhage) but it will still be an additional 2% crit through Pressure Points.

It being Disease, not Physical damage, is unlikely to be a positive factor in many scenarios too.

Good point about the passives. Could you elaborate on that last part regarding disease vs physical damage? Why is it unlikely to be a positive factor?
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KB casts so much faster than any other execute in the game and weaves perfectly with a heavy on a target you just set off balance.

Just on the animation alone it's better than executioner. Then you factor in class passives, that heal, and that crispy sound effect and it really isn't even close, even though the damage is about the same.

Should it be this way? Absolutely. Class skills should be better than off class alternatives. Executioner should be there so that classes that aren't NB can have a good "instant" execute too, but if you want the best execute you should play the class that specializes in it. Kind of like how if you want to hit people with multiple skills in the same GCD you play sorc, but can sort of imitate it with something like comet>crushing weapon>ranged spammable.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now compare KB to warden's execute, which is on its ultimate, the Wandering Bear...

Now think about Magicka Warden, who has no excecute to speak of...

Fodder, cannon fodder...
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my main toon for pvp is a stam NB, but i still run executioner right now because im using a asylum 2h for the extra ult gen with execute dmg

i had considered switching to killer blade (i was using the maelstrom 2h before for the dot, but with that nerfed into the ground for U35 i decided to switch to the asylum 2h since i already had executioner on my bar), and may at some point if i need to tweak his build again
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so new question. Given that KB is better than 2h, does that now justify running DW over 2h on NB?
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyseto wrote: »
    Ok so new question. Given that KB is better than 2h, does that now justify running DW over 2h on NB?

Lot's of pluses and minuses in running DW. Being able to use split traits for running both nirnhoned and sharpened is great. But nothing in DW compares to being able to use Rally on 2H for the extra stam recovery, the ability to pre-buff in stealth and the burst heal it gives you for "oh sheep" moments.
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭

Lot's of pluses and minuses in running DW. Being able to use split traits for running both nirnhoned and sharpened is great. But nothing in DW compares to being able to use Rally on 2H for the extra stam recovery, the ability to pre-buff in stealth and the burst heal it gives you for "oh sheep" moments.

Good to know, I’ll stick with 2h then.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i was going to suggest something similar, with the key uses of duel wield being whirling blades for the aoe undodgeable execute, and dagger cloak for evasion (if you are not running say elude)

but having 2 executes wouldnt really make sense so using 2h would probably be better for the the reasons mentioned in this quote
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dw frontbar/2h back bar. Works great.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caribou77 wrote: »
    Now compare KB to warden's execute, which is on its ultimate, the Wandering Bear...

Now think about Magicka Warden, who has no excecute to speak of...

Fodder, cannon fodder...

Weird seeing a random bear comment in here lol.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People forget that the Bear is an execute. I can't imagine why. :)

• Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    KB casts so much faster than any other execute in the game and weaves perfectly with a heavy on a target you just set off balance.

Just on the animation alone it's better than executioner. Then you factor in class passives, that heal, and that crispy sound effect and it really isn't even close, even though the damage is about the same.

Should it be this way? Absolutely. Class skills should be better than off class alternatives. Executioner should be there so that classes that aren't NB can have a good "instant" execute too, but if you want the best execute you should play the class that specializes in it. Kind of like how if you want to hit people with multiple skills in the same GCD you play sorc, but can sort of imitate it with something like comet>crushing weapon>ranged spammable.

Class skills should not be better than general skills if they are their counterparts. It completely captures the point - play how you want. After all, no one will use other skills ...
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melzo wrote: »

Class skills should not be better than general skills if they are their counterparts. It completely captures the point - play how you want. After all, no one will use other skills ...

I'm going to stand up for my point. It is totally okay for a class in an mmo to be better than any other class at something. That gives players a reason to pick a particular class if they want to do that thing as best as they possibly can. KB is not better damage wise than executioner, but it casts faster and has a nice heal on kill which makes it better for PVP and solo play but doesn't make executioner useless. The difference doesn't even matter in group PVE.

Executioner does the same damage, costs less stam (passives), is supported by an arena weapon, and isn't tied to a particular class. That makes it competitive, if not better on some setups. Since it's not class locked anyone can use it while they're doing what they're class is really strong at. For example, a Stamknight could have corrosive armor up and fossilize>whip>shortheavy>executioner anyone in sight like they are ESOs version of Doom Guy for 12 seconds. If they use the arena weapon, well then they can just do it again. Executioner is as good as it always has been in that scenario and really should not be any stronger than it already is. Then you have to consider what reverse slice can bring to an aoe build. It just makes since for the only class that has a direct execute as a part of it's kit to have the best general use execute as a part of it's kit especially since it takes up a class skill that could have been used for a delayed AOE burst (like beetles) or an absurd single target cc that is extremely buggy for your target (like fossilize) or a buff that distributes over a spammable worth of damage to your next two light or heavy attack (crystal weapon)