Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagPlar/StamPlar Damage

ACamaroGuy
ACamaroGuy
✭✭✭
So I play a MagPlar High Elf. The Templar class abilities are based off of magicka damage, not spell damage. My question is, by having higher spell damage, does my magicka damage for class abilities increase? Does spell damage only increase the damage staff abilities, the Sorcerer class abilities, etc.? Does this apply for weapon damage on the StamPlar? Does higher weapon damage affect the class abilities or just melee type weapons?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on August 1, 2022 2:11AM
For the Empire
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, higher magicka pool and higher spell dam stat both raise magicka damage skills

quoting Alcast from https://alcasthq.com/eso-dps-damage-dealer-beginner-guide/

As a Magicka DPS, the main stats you will look for to improve your damage are: Spell Damage, Spell Critical, Maximum Magicka, and Spell Penetration. Spell Damage increases the damage that your Magicka based attacks hit for and Spell Critical increases the chance for each of those hits to be a critical strike. Magicka increases your resource pool for using Magicka based abilities and also, similar to Spell Damage, it increases the damage that your Magicka based attacks hit for. In general, every 1 point of Spell Damage is worth 10.5 points of Magicka when determining damage increases. Spell Penetration ignores the enemy’s armor in the amount of the bonus. So for the standard 1487 Spell Penetration set bonus, 1487 of the enemy’s armor is ignored.

i'm hesitant to answer your last questions about light attacks. i think the recent hybridization changes mean that the higher of either spell/weapon damage would boost your light attacks from either melee or ranged, but i'd like the verified. Is weapon damage still specific for melee and bow weapons, and spell damage for staves? or did they hybridize that, too?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ACamaroGuy wrote: »
    So I play a MagPlar High Elf. The Templar class abilities are based off of magicka damage, not spell damage. My question is, by having higher spell damage, does my magicka damage for class abilities increase? Does spell damage only increase the damage staff abilities, the Sorcerer class abilities, etc.? Does this apply for weapon damage on the StamPlar? Does higher weapon damage affect the class abilities or just melee type weapons?

It used to be that Spell Damage/maximum Magicka increased the damage of any skill that used Magicka to cast. Conversely Weapon Damage and Max Stamina increased the damage of any skill that used stamina to cast.

This changed a couple updates ago with hybridization. Now all skills regardless of what resource they use to cast will scale off the highest of your SD/WD and highest of your Mag/Stam.

So this essentially means any skill can work for you but if you focus on max Magicka you can only cast so many stamina based skills since your stamina resource will be necessarily lower. And vice versa.
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ACamaroGuy wrote: »

Martial Damage types: Physical, Bleed, Disease, Poison
    Magical Damage types: Magic, Fire, Frost, Shock

It's important to ensure you don't confuse 'magicka' the resource with 'magic' the damage type.

Before update 33 a few months ago, the resource you paid (stamina or magicka) to use a skill determined whether the damage scaled from magicka and spell damage, or from stamina and weapon damage. So if you had 30k magicka 5000 spell damage but only 15k stamina and 2500 weapon damage, you'd really only use magicka abilities.
    Since update 33, all skills are calculated on your better resource - so whether it costs stamina or magicka, it'd scale from the magicka (using the example above).

Being a Templar means nothing in this - I can assume you meant Magic damage (a damage type) and not Magicka (the resource) which is where some confusion might occur - but as a Magplar, you are free to use stamina abilities instead of magicka ones and be okay (Most people now use 1 or 2 abilities of the other resource to help sustain).

This also means dont ever think 'i'll try to balance both' because you're making yourself worse since update 33 - hybrid 25k magicka and 25k stamina will make you a far worse build than 35k magicka and 15k stamina (same with thinking 'hey, i'll use 1 weapon damage and 1 spell damage glyph so i can use magicka and stamina things equally. IT WONT HELP ANYMORE!)

So, to be clear:
    Whether your ability costs magicka or stamina, it'll now scale from your higher resource.
    Magicka damage is not a thing - it's Magic damage. Magicka is a resource. (really important this because War Maiden set adds spell damage to Magic damage abilities... but will do nothing to an Unstable Wall of Elements, since that is fire, frost or shock only regardless of the fact you pay Magicka the resource to use it).
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post