Maintenance for the week of June 27:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 27, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 27, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 27, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/609214/tales-of-tribute-exploit-account-bans#latest

Accounts being suspended over appropriate names

Sallymen
Sallymen
✭✭✭✭
"A member of the community got banned for having lore-friendly thematic names honoring the sets dropped from their favorite raid encounter that they've had for years. Could we get a member of ZOS looking into this, please? They've had the names for thousand of hours and have interacted with support plenty, and now their account is permanently deactivated; wiping out all of their progress over has to be an automated mistake from a bot.

Since I cannot name this person outright, I can also recall some people got their accounts suspended or their character's name changed outright. For having names such as "Telvanni" or "Hlaalu." Lore-friendly names that could not be interpreted as offensive. This sets a bad precedent for anyone can get their account's deactivated for having appropriate lore names for their characters."

@ZOS_Kevin
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on June 22, 2022 1:03AM
"I'm just too powerful"
-Sallymen
  • Ondolemir
    Ondolemir
    ✭✭✭
    It'll probably be reversed once Monday morning service reps awaken.
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭
    umagon wrote: »
    I have not seen the names or the email, however my guess is the names may have contained letters that may have formed some type of word and/or acronym that zos’ automated systems have on their banned word list. The bot probably just autobans any account with characters with those words or letter arrangements somewhere in their name.

No, they were all names that were related to in-lore NPC"s or items. One was even flagged despite being a name not from ESO but TES V instead.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is absolutely awful. I hope Zos fixes this promptly. I hope the affected player still continues to play the game afterwards.
    'Sharp Arrows'
    Mr.Garlic
    PC/NA CP 1450+
    PC/NA CP 810+
    PC/EU CP 810+

Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,
    A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,
    Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Panchaea
    Panchaea
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen the the correspondence as well and can confirm none of those clauses were in breach. Either this is a complete oversight/error or they're throwing about T&Cs at a whim. I do believe it's the former and they've had some sort of automated process misinterpret the names, but there is virtually nothing in these names that breach the T&Cs.

If it is the latter and the ban was approved, it sets a terrible precedent where any of us can be punished for the slightest things. I've seen worse names float around in zone that use expletives and derogatory references and nothing has been done about them, but somehow this is worthy of a ban?

Ball's in ZoS' court unfortunately, but hopefully this was an oversight and not something intentional.
  • tim77
    tim77
    ✭✭✭✭
    This rule should really be looked at. It's very... doubtful.
    If the names are not hateful like "all [insert npc name here] are stupid" or whatever... this "rule" is really not player friendly.
    !!! And i'm not talking about the actions which comes with it, just the rule in general !!!

On the other side, there must be more in this story.
    You normally dont get a perma ban, you get a 3-day ban and a forced rename.

Edited by tim77 on June 20, 2022 6:58AM
    AddOns:
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    umagon wrote: »
    I have not seen the names or the email, however my guess is the names may have contained letters that may have formed some type of word and/or acronym that zos’ automated systems have on their banned word list. The bot probably just autobans any account with characters with those words or letter arrangements somewhere in their name.

No, they were all names that were related to in-lore NPC"s or items. One was even flagged despite being a name not from ESO but TES V instead.

I can certainly understand a rule against impersonating an Elder Scrolls character, but not an item.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My best guess is that ZOS considers names from the ES IP to be covered by this:

“Names or material protected by copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights cannot be used at any time except by the rightsholder. Rights ownership must be established prior to use on any ZeniMax Media, Inc. site or service. Any use of material protected by intellectual property rights that is not wholly owned by the account owner is a violation of the Agreement, including the Code of Conduct.”

They have clarified sometimes in other threads when there have been questions about how to understand the ToS/CoC. Perhaps they could consider doing so here.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda worrying have seen a number of people using house names has their chars surname and so on over the year,s know they can ban thing in changing name tokens and at char creation even if one word wouldn't be allowed so does seem like a mistake.
    Edited by RedTalon on June 20, 2022 9:25AM
  • Avishag
    Avishag
    ✭✭
    Panchaea wrote: »
    I've seen the the correspondence as well and can confirm none of those clauses were in breach. Either this is a complete oversight/error or they're throwing about T&Cs at a whim. I do believe it's the former and they've had some sort of automated process misinterpret the names, but there is virtually nothing in these names that breach the T&Cs.

If it is the latter and the ban was approved, it sets a terrible precedent where any of us can be punished for the slightest things. I've seen worse names float around in zone that use expletives and derogatory references and nothing has been done about them, but somehow this is worthy of a ban?

Ball's in ZoS' court unfortunately, but hopefully this was an oversight and not something intentional.

Yes, I have seen names many times, that describe sexual acts or *** or something similar. Yet those remain..
    Must be awful to have your progress wiped :(
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this is completely insane. My character names have nothing to do with ES lore but they do have something to do with my favorite video games, book series, etc. To be banned for it is just stupid ZOS.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be a mistake. I use lore-friendly names only and so do many people, without any problems.
    BretonMage wrote: »
    I can certainly understand a rule against impersonating an Elder Scrolls character

There are thousands of NPCs, I assume it would even be possible to choose the same name as one by accident, especially if you consider the typical Dunmer or Altmer naming conventions and choose a rather common name. It's not different to real life, just that IRL when you name your son Paul Smith, you can't be sued by an older Paul Smith, let alone be accused of trying to impersonate him ;)
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
This discussion has been closed.