The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Learn How To Play Tales of Tribute"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Official Discussion Thread for article, "Learn How To Play Tales of Tribute With This New Tutorial Video"

"Discover all the ins and outs of the High Isle Chapter’s upcoming deck-building game, Tales of Tribute, with this overview from ESO Creative Director Rich Lambert."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joDdRTgTYz0
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on June 14, 2022 8:33PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does this remind me of? Oh yeah

https://youtu.be/R5fBO-Ua2rk
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I should have jumped on the PTS. I've played some Magic, Yugioh, and even Sabacc, and I have 0 frame of reference for the mechanics of this game. The video says easy to pick up, I guess we'll see.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok, so first off, after playing the tutorial and an npc match, is the game easy to pick up? Yes. Yes in that it just flows. As long as you keep clicking things you're able to click, the game will progress whether you understand what's going on or not. That's sort of the point of the tutorial I guess, although it's somewhat opaque in that it doesn't really teach the mechanics. It shows you how the game progresses. I had to experiment a bit in an NPC match to figure out what I could or couldn't do.

So here's some things I learned, not mentioned in the tutorial or this video:

You may as well play all your cards in your hand. Gold resets and power turns into prestige when you end a turn, but your remaining hand also gets discarded to the cool down pile and you draw the next 5. With few exceptions, you don't want unplayed hand cards.

Since you basically only have 5 cards to play each turn, unless you get a draw card, you want to either buy higher gold card from the tavern or treasury.
    But don't go too much on one type, otherwise you'll only be drawing gold cards when you need powers.

Top of card number is gold price, only matters when buying it off the tavern. Left side is what you get, effects or resources, for playing the card. Right side descending is additional stuff you get for each additional card from the set you play, order does not matter.

That's the basic answers to questions I had after my first play through. I hope it helps someone out. For me the game, just isn't all that interesting for a first impression. I may or may not play it again, only time will tell.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that video really good - comprehensive and that is why I made a thread about it, because I thought, many might just miss it, if it is just mentioned in the launcher news somewhere - many don't read it or start up ESO without the launcher.

In my mind Brahgas does a pretty good job explaining the board setup (with his awesome accent and ways to put it), but I think this introductory first match should be longer and explain a few things more, not just end at 10 points, where the first thought is "wth was that?". And after that we are basically pushed into a novice match, where no help is available. This is overwhelming for some and leads to unnecessary frustration. It might even make them hating the game.
  • birdmann1230
    This game reminds me a lot of Witcher’s gwent game, though figuring out exactly how I needed to earn prestige took me a while. Still working on the agent cards and better gameplay than seek higher cards and ‘turn all the patrons’ but I’m enjoying the puzzle so far. A second tutorial later on to explain more of the nuance of the cards would be helpful once you kind of get the gist of the game.
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it against the rules to repeatedly concede NPC matches in order to gain rank XP faster?
    Edited by Stridig on June 23, 2022 6:15PM
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stridig wrote: »
    Is it against the rules to repeatedly concede NPC matches in order to gain rank XP faster?
    Sounds like a clear *exploit* to me.

When you have time, assuming that "method" can be repeated & reported, you might wanna send a quick PM to one of the active @ZOS_ moderators listed within DEV TRACKER ^ section.
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sent in a ticket and exploit report. Just got a canned message acknowledging the issue I have with the amount of xp gained from NPC matches.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game makes no god damn sense to me at all.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Voice Acting is one aspect, ESO is awesome at. I can often understand important comments in heat of combat. Yet, they choose for ToT rule explanation some non english hooting.

Why can't we learn to play game inside game and we need to look for help outside game instead?
  • Lunatearz
    Lunatearz
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin can we get a score table for Tales of tribute?

We players like to know what the scores in the ranked matches are based on and what defines the score.

• soundzen_PT
    soundzen_PT
    ✭✭✭
    i just click wherever i can and then turn the timer when im done, just moving cards around without knowing what im doing... managed to win 1 game out of 10 against a NPC - game of tribute goes to my Top3 things a dont like to do in ESO, next to fishing and PVP... next challenger please?
    Dont mention Tribute, Fishing or PVP !!!
  • SLEDGEHAMMER_X
    Deleted comment
    Edited by SLEDGEHAMMER_X on April 14, 2023 8:56PM
    Xbox NASLEDGEHAMMER X
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So... I've completely forgotten how to play this game.

Figured I'd try a match for a quick endeavor, and I still have the beat a novice step of the intro, so two birds, right. I start a match...and complete blank. I'm clicking everywhere, at one point I locked myself out of being able to click the end turn. Mercifully the NPC managed to beat me, somehow. Never used the patrons, just number kept getting bigger until game decided that was enough, and the endeavor didn't even complete!

I abandoned the quest, so maybe I can replay the tutorial. But seriously, what even is this game?!
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    So... I've completely forgotten how to play this game.

Figured I'd try a match for a quick endeavor, and I still have the beat a novice step of the intro, so two birds, right. I start a match...and complete blank. I'm clicking everywhere, at one point I locked myself out of being able to click the end turn. Mercifully the NPC managed to beat me, somehow. Never used the patrons, just number kept getting bigger until game decided that was enough, and the endeavor didn't even complete!

I abandoned the quest, so maybe I can replay the tutorial. But seriously, what even is this game?!

The Tribute Match endeavor only counts the ones you queue for through the Activity Finder.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.