Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Funny Fake Roles Story

kypranb14_ESO
kypranb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
There I am, on my Paladin-ish Templar build. I have my taunts, heals, pulls, and CCs ready to go. My PUG-team is slowly cleaving through Normal Cradle of Shadows. My wife is on her healer, keeping our lovely DPS alive. We finally arrive at the first boss. I sprint up to the boss, poke it with Puncture, run back to the safe area, and lay down my buffs/heals. On my way back to the safe area I hear a familiar sound. It's Inner Fire, and it's not on my bars.

That's when I take notice. BOTH of our PUG-DPS have 30k+ health, and one of them is using Necro-Goliath ultimate to bring it significantly higher. I got a chuckle out of this. By the end of the dungeon my tank became a tried and tested damage dealer, with over 65% of our teams DPS! By the time we hit the boss I affectionately call the pug-stomper, I had given up on taunting all together. Every third or fourth ability cast from one of our DPS was Inner Fire. Each time I laughed harder and harder.

Disclaimer: I'm not ragging on anyone or telling anyone how to play! I did politely ask in group chat about halfway through the dungeon if there was a reason someone else was running a taunt, however I received no response. I truly believe in play the way you want. We completed the dungeon with no issues aside from a couple of DPS deaths. I think we all had fun!
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some people are a special breed. There's still some people who don't think Templar Can Tank but they do fine.

ESPECIALLY on Normal.

If someone wants to Tank. Let em. Stop taunting and let them aggro.
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I heal a lot on normal PUGs but with half and half builds: a full fledged heals and buffs bar and a DPS bar. I've lost count of how many times I had to heal, replace the fake tank because even without a taunt the boss zeroed in on me and I can mitigate it, block and dodge well enough to handle it... and did 65% of the damage.

PUGs do the darndest things lol.
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inner beast gives 10% damage buff. That's why they were probably using it.
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »

Good point, I had completely forgotten about this! Doesn't it only apply to the caster though, and not the rest of the team? Or did I see that on PTS notes? Or just my mind playing tricks on me... lol
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point, I had completely forgotten about this! Doesn't it only apply to the caster though, and not the rest of the team? Or did I see that on PTS notes? Or just my mind playing tricks on me... lol

Caster only.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Those are also the same people who are angry the tank can't hold aggro on the boss.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's a unique damage buff, too, with a decent duration of 15 seconds. Never used it, in fact didn't even know it had that... but I could see it maybe being useful in a solo context, but if you're soloing, you don't really have room on your bar. Maybe they should change inner beast to a low damage dot with no upfront damage and no taunt. Probably not though.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    I heal a lot on normal PUGs but with half and half builds: a full fledged heals and buffs bar and a DPS bar. I've lost count of how many times I had to heal, replace the fake tank because even without a taunt the boss zeroed in on me and I can mitigate it, block and dodge well enough to handle it... and did 65% of the damage.

PUGs do the darndest things lol.
    Healing staff back bar is pretty common for leveling setups.
    Now I wonder why they did not queued as tanks with no queue, outside of march of sacrifice trio boss and the mechanic on second last boss in crypt of heart 2 its not much who can kill you in normal unless dps is hilarious low.
    BC 2 has two dps checks, keeper Indril will spawn adds who can overwhelm you and last boss keep spawning daedrots and the healing spheres, with low enough dps you can fail on both in normal :open_mouth:
    Now some of the normal dlc I say is above the easy vet dungeons in difficulty but don't pug anymore but normal DS2 with an healer and 3 DD should work as long as DD is inside heals, here healer might slot inner light to taunt the adds onto boss.

Remember one vet DS 2 run as tank, healer disconnected, did not come back, finder messed up so no replacement, dps was reasonable but they had low cp. Having the bill for res addon might gotten me banned for spam mailing :)
    H4r0jrZh.png
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happened to me too a while ago when I was farming unhallowed grave, I had my solo setup with a taunt and could basically solo it but since I was set as tank I try to always hold aggro and this S&B DPS with 30k health just kept taking aggro from me lol. It's funny that these people never respond to you when you ask them anything no matter how polite you are.
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Nightblade wears heavy armor, all of my attributes are in health and I carry a great sword...no skills chosen

My greeting when entering any LFG is Man I love to fake tank.

come at me bro.

Edited by DagenHawk on May 31, 2022 5:23PM
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zezin wrote: »
    Happened to me too a while ago when I was farming unhallowed grave, I had my solo setup with a taunt and could basically solo it but since I was set as tank I try to always hold aggro and this S&B DPS with 30k health just kept taking aggro from me lol. It's funny that these people never respond to you when you ask them anything no matter how polite you are.

Yeah, it is saddening when nobody responds in the game. I'm sure they have their reasons, but everything is more fun when we communicate!
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, it is saddening when nobody responds in the game. I'm sure they have their reasons, but everything is more fun when we communicate!

I'm not even gonna pretend, I get serious Tunnel Vision when I do things. So if I don't respond, it might be because of that
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Stach wrote: »

I'm not even gonna pretend, I get serious Tunnel Vision when I do things. So if I don't respond, it might be because of that

This happens to me on occasion, so I won't hold it against you! Haha
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    English may not be their primary language as well.....
  • No4h
    No4h
    ✭✭
    Exactly this is why I love playing with randoms. It never gets boring and sometimes it's more challenging.
    I don't mind that running a dungeon takes 15min longer because other players don't really know what they are doing. I also was like this when I started to play this game years ago :)

My 12y old son also plays the game, he's Dutch speaking so he doesn't understand most of the things said in chat. That's probably the reason why they didn't respond.

It's nice to read that you continued and didn't kick them like most ppl would do :)

• Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 tanks walk into a random... yeah. :#
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    English may not be their primary language as well.....
    No4h wrote: »
    Exactly this is why I love playing with randoms. It never gets boring and sometimes it's more challenging.
    I don't mind that running a dungeon takes 15min longer because other players don't really know what they are doing. I also was like this when I started to play this game years ago :)

My 12y old son also plays the game, he's Dutch speaking so he doesn't understand most of the things said in chat. That's probably the reason why they didn't respond.

It's nice to read that you continued and didn't kick them like most ppl would do :)

You're both correct, I haven't thought of this. I should have, but didn't!
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    4 tanks walk into a random... yeah. :#

Basically!
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TBH, one of the main things that has discouraged me from joining any dungeon-finder queue is the expectation that I have to declare a role. I'd prefer to just play the way I want, in a group of players also playing the way they want, in a mutually-amicable fashion. I know that's not the accepted approach, that's just how I prefer it, and as I said, it's why I've never joined any dungeon-finder queue. Perhaps I'm just playing ESO the wrong way, I don't know.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No4h wrote: »

I so agree with you on this!!!! This is part of the fun.....and it might take longer.....but it is more fun and interesting.
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    TBH, one of the main things that has discouraged me from joining any dungeon-finder queue is the expectation that I have to declare a role. I'd prefer to just play the way I want, in a group of players also playing the way they want, in a mutually-amicable fashion. I know that's not the accepted approach, that's just how I prefer it, and as I said, it's why I've never joined any dungeon-finder queue. Perhaps I'm just playing ESO the wrong way, I don't know.

If you play on PCNA you're welcome to join my wife and I, we encourage everyone to play the way they want!
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And players complain that there's no real tanks in dungeon... this group had three! :tongue:
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    And players complain that there's no real tanks in dungeon... this group had three! :tongue:
    I believe the collective noun (or one of them) is a unit, so there was an entire unit of tanks in the dungeon: the baddies didn't stand a chance!
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Full disclosure, my wife was on her PVP healer build that runs 33k+ armor rating... It was indeed 4 tanks! lol
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the collective noun (or one of them) is a unit, so there was an entire unit of tanks in the dungeon: the baddies didn't stand a chance!

Nothing like sending in the Armor Unit to clear out a normal DLC dungeon! Haha
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would rather have this kind of run than one with a speedster who cosplays as sanic and "got to go fast" through every dungeon completely ignoring the rest of the group
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would rather have this kind of run than one with a speedster who cosplays as sanic and "got to go fast" through every dungeon completely ignoring the rest of the group

As long as everyone in the group is included and having fun, it's a good run in my book!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as everyone in the group is included and having fun, it's a good run in my book!

of course lol, i think its funny when i see a tank with 17k hp getting slapped down by bosses, while i have no problems on my dps lol

a lot of my horror stories with dungeons actually wouldnt be from fake roles, but from speedsters who just want to rush the group (telling the group in chat to go faster) or ignoring the group and just rushing to every boss

i was a tank on a group with someone in first category who was failing the 2nd category, at the start of the dungeon (normal ICP for random) they were trying to pressure it to be a speed run, and kept running ahead, but either died to getting too much aggro, or died a couple of times on bosses, later they were complaining about not pulling the levers fast enough while sitting around doing nothing at the gate at which point i even tried to vote kick them but the other people either didnt see the vote, didnt care, or were friends/guildies with the guy who were just being quiet, so i just finished out the run and left the group without offering any gear drops
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My typical dungeon "run" *** :

- "what awesome scenery! time for another screen dump to add to my PC's desktop backgrounds
    - "aha! another bookcase, I wonder what interesting books are in it
    - (looting of various containers and defeated hostile NPCs)
    - (long discussion with quest NPC, including complete non-speed reading/listening of the dialogue)

I like to maximise the fun, and that for me means taking my time. The only major drawback of this approach is running out of time to finish a dungeon. I've recently reached the point with my character where I've started soloing group dungeons, and got about halfway through The Vaults of Madness quest last week before having to disconnect to do something else, which unfortunately means I end up at the dungeon entrance next time I login.

*** more like "walk"
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My typical dungeon "run" *** :

- "what awesome scenery! time for another screen dump to add to my PC's desktop backgrounds
    - "aha! another bookcase, I wonder what interesting books are in it
    - (looting of various containers and defeated hostile NPCs)
    - (long discussion with quest NPC, including complete non-speed reading/listening of the dialogue)

I like to maximise the fun, and that for me means taking my time. The only major drawback of this approach is running out of time to finish a dungeon. I've recently reached the point with my character where I've started soloing group dungeons, and got about halfway through The Vaults of Madness quest last week before having to disconnect to do something else, which unfortunately means I end up at the dungeon entrance next time I login.

*** more like "walk"

My wife and I do this too. We actually started our dungeon runs together on Vaults of Madness!