The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Voice Acting Contest Suggestion

Bluedog164
Bluedog164
✭✭
Hello, ESO Team. I want to make a suggestion. How about Bethesda host a voice acting contest for their next expansion of the entire game. There are a few things of note in this contest; the voice acting is good, but I believe the voice acting in The Elder Scrolls Online can be improved, and there are too many roles where voice acting has been suitable but not great. For example, there is Sheogorath. I prefer the Wes Johnson version of the character from Skyrim; I recommend recasting back to Wes Johnson or bringing someone new from the contest. And there are examples of voice actors who sound like they have a one-way stop to disappointment. For example, the King of Skyrim in the Dark Heart of Skyrim expansion pack was disappointing as he is supposed to be this authoritative figure, as he ended up sounding like an adult acting like a child for most of his scenes. And later, he would drop his accent in your fight with him, which is probably not supposed to happen. Finally, there are examples of having the same voice for different characters, which are endless, but I'll try to cover some of them in this. Let's take Joseph Gatt as one example of this trope; he was the original voice of Verandis Ravenwatch, the voice actor for Allaria and many other roles. This confused me as the same voice actor for different characters can not be a good thing. There is also Tara Strong, Kari Wahlgren, and Travis Willingham, to name a few. In conclusion, this lack of variety has led to countless discussions on the game and its voice acting. The only way to settle things for the future would be for a voice acting contest every once per expansion to lead to more variety in the voice acting, and if certain characters are recast, then there will also be a bit more continuity between the other games in the series and ESO
Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on May 5, 2022 4:47PM
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously researched for this artical as to some of the names you used.
    So you do know that there are 100's of voice actors in ESO and that some are famous actors and voice actors.
    Actors don't just do ONE character in their career and no others. That is what Voice Actors DO is do many different voices and characters.
    By saying have a "contest" sounds like having people off the street compete to be better than say Billy Boyd, Bill Nigh, Laura Baily or Alicia Rotaru. These are professional actors and I personally think ESO has some of the best voice actors around.
    I personally would rather see 100's of actual Voice Actors rather than 1,000's of amateurs' all sounding like amateurs'.
    Just my 2 drakes...
    Huzzah!!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    What I was also getting at, was that it would be good for the community to have a voice acting contest. It would show trust in the community.
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They’re only able to use voice actors that are members of the screen actors guild of America. So unless the community has people that are members of that it’s not going to happen.
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    Oh well had to try to make that suggestion at least.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RevJJ wrote: »
    They’re only able to use voice actors that are members of the screen actors guild of America. So unless the community has people that are members of that it’s not going to happen.

Unless something has recently changed that is not true. If they use actors that are part of the guild they have to adhere to the contract but if I remember right they do not have to use guild actors. That aside I would guess any person playing the game could go to open calls if a call was ever put out and compete along with everyone else.

and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    " countless discussions "

This is the first time of hearing this.

ESO has the best voice acting in Any MMO

Every single NPC is Voice acted.

If you think they can make it even better, then sure... why not.

But I really don't think the devs should focus on all the others issues people have asked for.

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    RevJJ wrote: »

Unless something has recently changed that is not true. If they use actors that are part of the guild they have to adhere to the contract but if I remember right they do not have to use guild actors. That aside I would guess any person playing the game could go to open calls if a call was ever put out and compete along with everyone else.

A question similar to this was asked in a stream Rich did a while ago. His answer was that they’re only able to use guild actors.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bluedog164 wrote: »
    What I was also getting at, was that it would be good for the community to have a voice acting contest. It would show trust in the community.

Why should they trust the community with voice acting?

Why do they need to reach to us for help?

If ever the ESO Devs reach out to forums for help developing their game and looking for talent, I really would question their management, unless I am unaware that ESO players have all the coolest RL voices.
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Also just letting you know if you wish to be apart of a Elder Scrolls Community and do its voice acting and wish to help with recruiting, look up the SkyBlivion and Skywind Projects.

As of now they are remaking the TES 3 and TES 4 into the Skyrim project and all the NPCs will be fully voice acted.

The other thing that could be possible is to Work on a ESO addon that could replace the voices in the game that you and the community though would be better.

just my 3 drakes post
    Immersive Quests Addon
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »

Why should they trust the community with voice acting?

Why do they need to reach to us for help?

If ever the ESO Devs reach out to forums for help developing their game and looking for talent, I really would question their management, unless I am unaware that ESO players have all the coolest RL voices.

The reason that I want to have them reach out to the community, is that some within the community are really talented even the streamers have admitted as such. So I think if they really wanted to do that they could, and if they can't find anyone who is even remotely fitting for that role that they are looking for, then I think they should reach out to the community and we can lend them a hand.
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭

Also just letting you know if you wish to be apart of a Elder Scrolls Community and do its voice acting and wish to help with recruiting, look up the SkyBlivion and Skywind Projects.

As of now they are remaking the TES 3 and TES 4 into the Skyrim project and all the NPCs will be fully voice acted.

The other thing that could be possible is to Work on a ESO addon that could replace the voices in the game that you and the community though would be better.

just my 3 drakes post

I think the added bonus of having an actual credit of actually being in the game would be far more rewarding then having been part of an addon that replaces all the voice acting in the game.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You obviously researched for this artical as to some of the names you used.
    So you do know that there are 100's of voice actors in ESO and that some are famous actors and voice actors.
    Actors don't just do ONE character in their career and no others. That is what Voice Actors DO is do many different voices and characters.
    By saying have a "contest" sounds like having people off the street compete to be better than say Billy Boyd, Bill Nigh, Laura Baily or Alicia Rotaru. These are professional actors and I personally think ESO has some of the best voice actors around.
    I personally would rather see 100's of actual Voice Actors rather than 1,000's of amateurs' all sounding like amateurs'.
    Just my 2 drakes...
    Huzzah!!

and I would expect all these professional voice actors are members of the union. This is serious business.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly nobody ever complains about voice acting in eso. I rather have a different community contest, but wouldn't mind if we did to help 1 inspiring actor get foot in door. Even just a line like " you have been warned" after entering a door
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on May 4, 2022 11:47PM
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    Honestly nobody ever complains about voice acting in eso. I rather have a different community contest, but wouldn't mind if we did to help 1 inspiring actor get foot in door. Even just a line like " you have been warned" after entering a door

lol
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭

Okay, what would you have as a community contest?
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

lol

I am not sure how I should take this? You really went to my wall for this?
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on May 5, 2022 3:21AM
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    I wanted your opinion on what community contest we should have so that way I can give a vote in another discussion.
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    I wanted you to take a look below it
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    No they should take some ideas and let forums vote on certain sets of changes that they can test on pts for a sub fee like if no proc were on pts before main game but prolly something a little more important to the gameplay Ex. they make a lot of damage shields in the game scale off of healing power/specific max stat and adjusted their strengths... or maybe they change some of the less used sets in the game to be more useful
    you pay to experience these changes unlike regular pts where they already know what they are adding to the game
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

just my 3 drakes post
    Don't forget the Apotheosis project, which if ever completed will be the biggest Skyrim mod ever.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wanted you to take a look below it

Ah it was super misunderstanding then....

I support any community contest honestly. I like creative ones so voice acting is fine to me. If I had an opinion more painting contests. I would like to see more paintings in game
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »

just my 3 drakes post
    Don't forget the Apotheosis project, which if ever completed will be the biggest Skyrim mod ever.

You mean Beyond Skyrim?
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

just my 3 drakes post

You mean Beyond Skyrim?
    No, I mean this one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/apotheosis
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭

just my 3 drakes post

You mean Beyond Skyrim?
    No, I mean this one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/apotheosis

Oh I see
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There might be a few NPCs that are slow and boring to listen to (Meridia in Coldharbor giving a tour of Hollowed City), but for the most part I LOVE the voice acting in this game. No other game has pulled me into immersing into the story quests like EOS, and it's because of the voice acting. They could re-do some of the more mediocre sounding charcters with professional voice actors like they did with Count Ravenwatch which ended up being an awesome and well done move, but for the most part, voice acting is not one of the things I've complained about.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one is all for a fun community contest. And if the winner/s have a bit part in the next DLC, and all contestants get some sort of small prize, why not?
  • ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    Greetings,

We have closed this thread as there is another current thread discussing this same topic. Please refer to:

https://beth.games/3OXPmHL
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.