The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

WHAT IF every door led to a room.

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrothgar has every door leading to a room, and that zone works fine. There are a lot of doors. There is also considerable space inside these buildings, and a lot of lootables.

They used to be able to do this.

Did they just think people wouldn't care if a few buildings were Hollywood sets versus actual buildings? :/

I don’t know the answer to that.

I used to wonder why there were so many buildings with locked doors on them, until I realized that the cities would look even smaller without those facades.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how ESO's engine works...
    But usually stuff like rooms that use assets that are already in-game wouldn't put so much weight on the game, I see people saying it would add like another 10GBs but I doubt that, the assets are already there, and objects in world-space don't increase the file size (it does, but that's in KB's)
    A scene pretty much reads what assets should be placed and where, and places them in the world. It COULD add to longer load times, just nothing impactful in file size unless you're actually adding new assets, like new models or textures or sounds.

Also, if most rooms reuse generic rooms, it would also significantly decrease the added stress (Like, having room A linked to empty houses all over the world and if you enter an empty house in bangkorai, you enter room A, if you enter an empty house in Anvil, you'll still enter room A). But I don't really see the point if all rooms have the same layout/content other than easy ingredient loot. I don't see nothing against it either tho.

As for server stress... I also don't know how servers work in this game, I think there could be a lot more things done in client-side, like pets in PvP zones, but that's just coming from someone who doesn't know the backend and is just making assumptions on how to make things.
  • moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how ESO's engine works...
    But usually stuff like rooms that use assets that are already in-game wouldn't put so much weight on the game, I see people saying it would add like another 10GBs but I doubt that, the assets are already there, and objects in world-space don't increase the file size (it does, but that's in KB's)
    A scene pretty much reads what assets should be placed and where, and places them in the world. It COULD add to longer load times, just nothing impactful in file size unless you're actually adding new assets, like new models or textures or sounds.

Also, if most rooms reuse generic rooms, it would also significantly decrease the added stress (Like, having room A linked to empty houses all over the world and if you enter an empty house in bangkorai, you enter room A, if you enter an empty house in Anvil, you'll still enter room A). But I don't really see the point if all rooms have the same layout/content other than easy ingredient loot. I don't see nothing against it either tho.

As for server stress... I also don't know how servers work in this game, I think there could be a lot more things done in client-side, like pets in PvP zones, but that's just coming from someone who doesn't know the backend and is just making assumptions on how to make things.

I agree with you and I think as for the pets, things that aren’t stagnant would take more of a load on the server. So a room already integrated into the game would be less work for the server versus someone’s pet following them across Cyrodiil and Tamriel
  • moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wrothgar has every door leading to a room, and that zone works fine. There are a lot of doors. There is also considerable space inside these buildings, and a lot of lootables.

They used to be able to do this.

Did they just think people wouldn't care if a few buildings were Hollywood sets versus actual buildings? :/

I don’t know the answer to that.

I used to wonder why there were so many buildings with locked doors on them, until I realized that the cities would look even smaller without those facades.

That’s depressing to think about :(
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I vote each Door can be bough out by a person as a house and decorated for that month :D
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons