The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Puncturing sweep needs major sorcery and brutality as well or give it to backlash

ksbrugh
ksbrugh
✭✭✭✭
Would like to get major sorcery somehow on my magic Templars I have without slotting an extra skill or giving up a tripot for a spell potion. Yes I know puncturing sweep heals you but biting jabs does about 10 to 15% more damage than puncturing sweeps. Roughly for the same weapon damage as spell damage
Not always but most likely if you're a Stam Templar you most likely have rally which gives you major brutality and a heal.
Please add the major sorcery and major brutality to the backlash skill and it's morphs not the biting jabs or puncturing sweeps skill.
Plus major sorcery or major brutality should not be associated with a spammable
Edited by ksbrugh on January 31, 2022 10:43PM
  • BronzeCaiman
    BronzeCaiman
    ✭✭✭
    Use Entropy.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get major sorcery on magplars. swap out sweeps for jabs after the update. It likely wouldn't be ideal to have an off stat spammable, but the option is there. Otherwise you have pots. You could legit use a 2 hander and momentum on a mag too next update as well. There are many ways of getting major sorcery currently.
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using Entropy is fine. I however moved over to clever alchemist and use spell power pots from Cyrodiil. I have over 2000 sitting on my character. I can honestly say having major sorcery or brutality is not a very missed buff on class skills especially when in PVE you can use Entropy which also does damage and in PVP use potions.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major Brutality and Sorcery are available to each class without the use of any skill via potions.

I do not think it is a good idea to add this buff to the use of puncturing sweeps. It is already a very loaded skill with minor protection, 1320 resistance. and a 6% increase in weapon and spell damage.

I also wonder if the comparison of damage is taking into account the added damage from burning light which seems to proc off every completed use of the skill.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m guessing this is a pvp post. Next patch you will have the option to get major sorcery from the other weapon trees.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ksbrugh wrote: »
    Yes I know puncturing sweep heals you but biting jabs does about 10 to 15% more damage than puncturing sweeps. Roughly for the same weapon damage as spell damage

Where are you getting this from? The tooltips are identical, you're only choosing between stam + buff or mag + healing.

Although, I agree. Stamplars are already lacking identity.. put the buff on the base skill and give stamplars something unique. They are probably the most bare bones in terms of differences between the stam and mag side of classes.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I know puncturing sweep heals you but biting jabs does about 10 to 15% more damage than puncturing sweeps. Roughly for the same weapon damage as spell damage

Where are you getting this from? The tooltips are identical, you're only choosing between stam + buff or mag + healing.

Although, I agree. Stamplars are already lacking identity.. put the buff on the base skill and give stamplars something unique. They are probably the most bare bones in terms of differences between the stam and mag side of classes.

A big stamina ultimate. Solar disturbance is ripe for a change.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Interesting. It also means the templar skill does more damage due to the burning light passive. I had not compared the two skills but had questions if OP included burning light.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

Interesting. It also means the templar skill does more damage due to the burning light passive. I had not compared the two skills but had questions if OP included burning light.

Burning light works on all skills in the skill line, it's not exclusive to magicka costing skills. It's not really worth debating if that is balanced or not, many things need to be taken into account.

Class kit, access to buffs/debuffs, damage passives, etc. Jabs is the most powerful spammable in the game, but thats if you include burning light and then how do you compare that to what other classes get like Sorcs 10% damage done, 5% shock damage, 2% weapon/spell damage per slotted. Etc. Etc. or... what their burst is like, Curse.. Pets.. Fury. Etc.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on February 1, 2022 12:54AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Adding Major Brutality to Biting Jabs is an unnecessary change. The sole reason the did so is because Sun Fire (Vamp bane or Reflective light) will do both Major Savagery /Prophecy now. Thing is, that this change does nothing to give Major Sorcery to magicka templars and stamina templars have already been getting Major Brutality from the 2H skill Rally. Furthermore, stamplars have likely slotted Camouflaged Hunter, which gives Major Savagery anyways. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around this change.

Did they change it because they are hoping Stamplars use Sun Fire? Why? With Piercing Javelin going through block, I'd use this way before I used Sun Fire. I'd also likely use Backlash before using Sun Fire.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is adding Major Brutality/Sorcery to Explosive Charge. This would make it more competitive with Stampede and magicka templars would also make a harder decision between the stun or Sorcery buff.
    Edited by maxjapank on February 1, 2022 2:53AM
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    Adding Major Brutality to Biting Jabs is an unnecessary change. The sole reason the did so is because Sun Fire (Vamp bane or Reflective light) will do both Major Savagery /Prophecy now. Thing is, that this change does nothing to give Major Sorcery to magicka templars and stamina templars have already been getting Major Brutality from the 2H skill Rally. Furthermore, stamplars have likely slotted Camouflaged Hunter, which gives Major Brutality anyways. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around this change.

Did they change it because they are hoping Stamplars use Sun Fire? Why? With Piercing Javelin going through block, I'd use this way before I used Sun Fire. I'd also likely use Backlash before using Sun Fire.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is adding Major Brutality/Sorcery to Explosive Charge. This would make it more competitive with Stampede and magicka templars would also make a harder decision between the stun or Sorcery buff.

Yeah, it's an odd change. Magplars were (to the best of my knowledge) using Mage Light for the Major Prophecy and Stamplars were using Camouflaged Hunter for Major Savagery. If Magplars were using Sun Fire it was for the DoT. In that respect both the Prophecy on Sun Fire and the Savagery on Biting Jabs were redundant. I honestly don't know if Templars would miss anything if those buffs were removed from the respective skills.

I'd suggest adding Brutality/Sorcery as the secondary effect of Sun Fire, but that would mean Templar's in one ability would be able to grant themselves Major+Minor Sorcery, Major Brutality, and provide their group Minor Sorcery. As a Templar main I wouldn't mind at all, but I can already picture the complaints. Unfortunately, that would also exclude Backlash and Morphs from the conversation.

One option might be to change Restoring Aura and Morphs. Ditch the AoE Minor Magicka-steal on the base skill and instead replace it with self-buff Major Sorcery/Brutality. Then get rid of the increased radius on Radiant Aura and reintroduce the AoE Minor Magicka-steal. Repentence remains the same as on live, just with the Sorcery/Brutality buff. If need be add a small cost to the ability (though considering Netch exists in its form, I don't think that's a pressing issue).

Edit: Alternatively, take a look at Healing Ritual and Morphs. If ZOS is looking for Templar skills for revitalization that one is a prime candidate.

Edit: Biting Jabs once upon a time had an increased crit chance against lower health enemies. If it's morph effect was changed from what was Savagery and is now Brutality/Sorcery that old effect could be a place to start.
    Edited by ealdwin on February 1, 2022 3:37AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Burning light works on all skills in the skill line, it's not exclusive to magicka costing skills. It's not really worth debating if that is balanced or not, many things need to be taken into account.

Class kit, access to buffs/debuffs, damage passives, etc. Jabs is the most powerful spammable in the game, but thats if you include burning light and then how do you compare that to what other classes get like Sorcs 10% damage done, 5% shock damage, 2% weapon/spell damage per slotted. Etc. Etc. or... what their burst is like, Curse.. Pets.. Fury. Etc.

I was not debating balance just noting it is appropriate to consider that added damage since it is guaranteed to proc on that skill if each tick in the channel hit the target.

My previous post in this thread explained how loaded that skill is due to passives and while, yes, they apply to all the skills in that skill line, we are talking about this one skill.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a pvp tweek. It’s a very small nicety
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I was not debating balance just noting it is appropriate to consider that added damage since it is guaranteed to proc on that skill if each tick in the channel hit the target.

My previous post in this thread explained how loaded that skill is due to passives and while, yes, they apply to all the skills in that skill line, we are talking about this one skill.

Yeah, my point is it's a bit disingenuous to say it's overloaded by tacking on a bunch of class passives with it in the discussion, when those passives and abilities are there based on how the class functions as a whole. You can cherry pick that way for any class and ability, eventually no class would have anything interesting to use anymore.

You can't just say, hey look, it does these 6 things. It must be OP. Some class skills are, indeed overloaded, but they fit within the class they're on, it doesn't make them OP. They're allowed to be overloaded because everything in class kit takes that in to account. It would only be a problem if everyone could cherry pick the skills they wanted from each class like some people have suggested.

This is why people are worried about them using spreadsheets to balance skills (although I think it's a good idea to work from). If you say X skill should only cost X amount and have only 2 effects.. Bam, now every skill is exactly the same with a different coat of paint.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• ksbrugh
    ksbrugh
    ✭✭✭✭

Although, I agree. Stamplars are already lacking identity.. put the buff on the base skill and give stamplars something unique. They are probably the most bare bones in terms of differences between the stam and mag side of classes.[/quo you misunderstood my point

You have misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I didn't mention tooltip. I should have stated DPS. You get major savagery which increases your DPS roughly 10 to 15% depending on your setup. And that major savagery doesn't just affect biting jabs it also fix other damaging skills. Well at least it does for me on that one skill and others
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For dps people use potions which give both major buffs plus more.

Major prophecy/savagery is usually found on other passively strong guild skills.

Now if your talking pvp it’s really just a small nicety, in a heartbeat I would trade both passives for anything else.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean right now molten armaments gives an entire group major sorcery, major brutality and minor brutality…with flames of oblivion, which gives major prophecy and major savagery plus heals, dragon knights already have all that and more
    Edited by Drdeath20 on February 1, 2022 3:48AM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

you misunderstood my point

You have misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I didn't mention tooltip. I should have stated DPS. You get major savagery which increases your DPS roughly 10 to 15% depending on your setup. And that major savagery doesn't just affect biting jabs it also fix other damaging skills. Well at least it does for me on that one skill and others

I get what you're trying to say, but it's not an apropriate comparison when Major Brutality/Sorcery is the most basic and common buff in the game. Not a single build plays without it.

Although I do agree, the fact that it's attached to the stamina morph as a unique effect is a bad thing because it's eating away at the power budget of the morph. The magicka variant gets insane healing while the stamina morph gets a buff you can get from hitting a potion you're most likely already using once every 45s or Rally, which is something most pvp stamplars already use.

So yeah, it should be on the base skill, but not because the magicka morph is behind,it's because the stamina morph is.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on February 1, 2022 4:46AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, my point is it's a bit disingenuous to say it's overloaded by tacking on a bunch of class passives with it in the discussion, when those passives and abilities are there based on how the class functions as a whole. You can cherry pick that way for any class and ability, eventually no class would have anything interesting to use anymore.

You can't just say, hey look, it does these 6 things. It must be OP. Some class skills are, indeed overloaded, but they fit within the class they're on, it doesn't make them OP. They're allowed to be overloaded because everything in class kit takes that in to account. It would only be a problem if everyone could cherry pick the skills they wanted from each class like some people have suggested.

This is why people are worried about them using spreadsheets to balance skills (although I think it's a good idea to work from). If you say X skill should only cost X amount and have only 2 effects.. Bam, now every skill is exactly the same with a different coat of paint.

Considering they are active when using the skill and it is very unlikely that a build will use several skills from that line, it is very appropriate. It is a fact that using that skill, which is a spammable, brings about those buffs. It does not make sense to ignore using of the skill triggers a passive that increases SD/WD by 6% when suggesting the skill also provides a 20% increase in SD/WD.

It is disingenuous to have the discussion OP has presented in a vacuum that ignores very relevant information.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Although I do agree, the fact that it's attached to the stamina morph as a unique effect is a bad thing because it's eating away at the power budget of the morph.

The more I think about it...why would I run Biting Jabs now? Why not just run Cleave instead for either a bleed or a nice big shield?

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It does not make sense to ignore using of the skill triggers a passive that increases SD/WD by 6%

I've never run without Jabs on a templar. But Balanced Warrior is just a passive. It says nothing about having to use a skill to trigger it.

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really dont like these buffs on a spammable ability.
    For both pve and pvp jabs is not a skill you use at the start of the combat.
    It just doesnt go well with the flow of combat.
    Even in pvp I never relied on jabs for savagery beacuse there are a lot of situations where you dont want to have to use the skill just to buff up.
    Please give jabs something else.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Even in pvp I never relied on jabs for savagery beacuse there are a lot of situations where you dont want to have to use the skill just to buff up.

For pve stamplar doesn’t exactly have a lot of skills to use before they use their spammable so you might have the first few seconds without major brutality then you will have it all the fight since the cool-down is 10 seconds. Interesting part would be if stamplar can start using Jesus beam since it scales off max stat now and is’t too costly, this would lead to the buff dropping off.

This along with camo hunter frees you up to use heroism pots for better ulti gen and you literally lose nothing.

This is a really strong change for the class. As a magplar I’d love the same since entropy in pve is a bit weak but don’t agree it should go on sweeps since the heal it gives is already really strong so layering another effect would be just silly.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe, just maybe we should not overload already best and most used skills?
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Parrot1986 wrote: »

For pve stamplar doesn’t exactly have a lot of skills to use before they use their spammable so you might have the first few seconds without major brutality then you will have it all the fight since the cool-down is 10 seconds. Interesting part would be if stamplar can start using Jesus beam since it scales off max stat now and is’t too costly, this would lead to the buff dropping off.

This along with camo hunter frees you up to use heroism pots for better ulti gen and you literally lose nothing.

This is a really strong change for the class. As a magplar I’d love the same since entropy in pve is a bit weak but don’t agree it should go on sweeps since the heal it gives is already really strong so layering another effect would be just silly.

You can already have a Dk give you brutality If you want to use heroism pots.

And in pvp this change adds nothing to the class as you will still need get a longer lasting brutality buff as it's just not feasible to jab every 10 sec especially if you are on the defensive.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solar Flare and its morphs gains Major Brutality/Sorcery for 20 seconds, loses Empower.
    Puncturing Strikes and its morphs gains Empower for 4 seconds after it finishes casting.
    Biting Jabs morph applies Minor Maim to targets hit for 8 seconds.

Illuminate gets Major Brutality, Major Sorcery, and Minor Sorcery with one cast.
    Enduring Rays can bring up the duration from 20 seconds to 22 seconds.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on February 1, 2022 12:21PM
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar needs nerfed not buffed.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless U33 has changed it you can spam jabs at thin air before a fight to proc all the benefits. On live if I look at my character sheet, jab thin air and look again it's clear the buffs triggered.

So it's no different to a lot of other class and weapon pre-fight buffs except it happens to be on the same button as the spammable.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Unless U33 has changed it you can spam jabs at thin air before a fight to proc all the benefits. On live if I look at my character sheet, jab thin air and look again it's clear the buffs triggered.

So it's no different to a lot of other class and weapon pre-fight buffs except it happens to be on the same button as the spammable.

Well that's the whole issue.

It's not a buff skill, it's a spammable.

You have to look at it from a practical point of view, why use jabs before even engaging in combat? It's not a buff skill.
    It just doesnt fit the skill thematically, neither did savagery like ever.
    Most people ran camo hunter or pots for that buff too, despite it being on jabs, it's the exact same concept.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider this.

Good sources of Brutality/Sorcery (on live):
    - Momentum
    - Surge
    - Molten Weapons
    - Netch

Meh sources of Brutality/Sorcery (on live):
    - Entropy

Not Great sources of Brutality/Sorcery (on live):
    - Drain Power

What do the first group have in common? They're all buff abilities. They have no target or are primary damaging abilities. They have long durations so even if their cost is off-resource they are easy to manage. No matter what build you're running on a DK, Molten Weapons can easily fit into that build if you want it to.

Drain Power is a poor source because of the hard requirement of doing damage and being in melee range. Ranged Blades are out of luck. It's why request for Brutality/Sorcery to be moved to Siphoning Strikes exist. It would make more sense and provide more flexibility and greater utility within the class.

Brutality/Sorcery on Biting Jabs makes it fall into the Meh category. It's not horrible, just awkward and inflexible within the class kit. There's better options of other abilities it could go on.

Biting Jabs just also needs a better morph effect.